It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 itt our jobs 
Lite Four
Lite Four

Ok so im at work right now and i couldnt think of anything better to do, so i decided to make a new thread. what do some of you do to support yourself? and no i dont mean a "job" as in mowing mommy and daddys lawn, i mean actual jobs. me, i work in retail stocking frozen food. i work five days a week 10pm to 7am with an hour break in between. it gets quite tedious and my arm is killing me, but it rakes in a little bit of money. ill be moving friday and lose my internet connection, but at least ill have the money to support myself. right now my hourly wage is balls, but at least its above min. wage and im getting a raise at the end of the year. the only problem im having with this job is my health seems to be getting worse with ridculous sleeping habits and a huge workload. ah well, things have been downhill lately so it should be getthng a bit better soon. oh snap break is over. itll be interesting to see what others have to say about their jobs.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I work in a crappy factory making parts for Ford and other name brand vehicles. I got flexed out for this entire week, so that shows how many hours I get.

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'm a food prep at a restaurant called Perkins. I usually start in the morning with a sheet listing all the food that needs to be prepped and many I'll have to actually do. After checking what's in stock and what's not, I slowly take care of each item on the list.

I get to make pancake batter. :0

It gets very tedious and repetitive, especially when portioning food like mashed potatoes. But I'm slowly adjusting to the repetitive-ness, and I'm noticing that I'm getting less sore each time I come home. For $7.00/hour, this is a really great job. Most of my fellow coworkers are kind and happy, and my mentor/fellow food prep is a totally awesome guy. The dish washer dude tends to be disgruntled with me when I make newbie mistakes, but he usually gets over it and gives me helpful advice on how to be more efficient and to not repeat my mistakes.

Last edited by Registeel_Rocks on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 am
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

I'm a sales associate at a music/movies store in the largest shopping mall in the country. I spend my entire shift wandering around helping customers find CDs and DVDs that they're looking for. I also rattle off promotional deals on command and try to force store discount cards down people's throats, and I look at them despairingly when they opt not to place an order for an item we don't have in stock at the moment.

My work week has been 18 or 19 hours the past two weeks now. It started at 17 hours a week and quickly climbed to 30 before that crash for last week. At a mere $8/hr, 18 hours of work is difficult to make much a profit off of, especially when I keep buying half the crap I'm putting on the shelves.

And it's going to get worse. Tomorrow night, a Best Buy is opening just down the hall; just what we need, big name competition. None of us expect our jobs to exist in a year, but we don't talk about it. Luckily, I'll be moving back to campus the end of this month and resuming my campus job, with a raise.

Once there, I help stupid people with their computer science homework. On rare occasions, I help smart people complete assignments for stupid professors who don't bother to actually teach half the things they expect their students to accomplish. And now I got a raise to a whole $6.95/hr this year. And that's completely untaxed.

My summer job isn't great, but it's a job and I like to think I do it pretty well. I'm just hoping it still exists when Christmas break rolls around. Next summer would be nice too. Though this completely unstable schedule is killing me. Last week I opened Monday and Friday, closed Saturday. This week, having requested Thursday and Friday off, I opened Monday and today, and I close on Saturday. On a brighter note, hooray 10% discount at food court (and anywhere else that feels like being nice)!

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I work at McDonalds in the kitchen.

While sanitation standards are high, safety/management is very poor.

But what else can you expect. Smart people quit McDonalds to find better jobs, so the only ones left working there are meat-head high-school dropouts. Those meat-heads then go on to become McDonalds managers who run the store.

There's always something wrong, and usually a workplace law being broken. Eg, when we're filtering the vats (basically filtering all that boiling hot oil until it's cleaner), we're supposed to wear all this protective gear. We don't have that gear.

The assistant store manager (he is basically the store manager) once put boiling hot oil into a garbage bag and left it on the ground by the office. It exploded.
This very same man steams stale buns so they seem fresh.

Another manager accidentally spilled an entire load of oil all over the floor. He mopped it all into the drain where it solidified into fat so that it was clogged up.

This one very fat manager can't count for ****, and when he counts cash he always counts the wrong amount, so then they think the money has been stolen.

Also, if you think you're gonna get all the rights that they said they'd give you, think again. Our dump-masters were infested with bees. I had to walk into the bees and throw the rubbish into their hive (the bins). I also had a 9 hour shift, and my break was within the first hour. Other than your break, you're always walking/standing.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:41 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I work in a grocery store as a courtesy clerk.
The main duties are collecting buggeys (shopping carts), returning baskets to the entrances, doing returns, and (if I'm working in the evening) taking out the garbage and recycling from every bin in the store (takes about an hour)
Other things I do are cleanups, price checks, helping cosutmers find things, sweeping, cleaning the cosutmer bathroom (its really gross in there), and facing. Sometimes I might stock things in the front end.

It's not that bad since a lot of the time I'm not really doing anything, and since I don't work in any department, my boss is the manager/assistant manger, but he's got other things to do so I'm on a very loose chain. I go on break whenever and how often I want and chat with the cashiers or people in the different departments.

I earn minimum wage @ 10-20 hrs a week, but that's ok since it's $8.75 here. Union dues take of like $10 a week though.

I don't plan on keeping this job through the winter because collecting buggeys is going to suck. I'll trying switching over to cash or grocery.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:51 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm working at the local Cineworld at the bar while I'm at uni. I do 25hrs a week and get shouted at by a 45 year old woman because I tell her that using a dry mop is basic health and safety... I'm thinking of going back to my old job... I was a waiter at Pizza Hut for 2 years and had it really great! I was training to be a supervisor but left for the awful hellhole I work in now. Fun!

PS - This may be labelled a defamatory comment but please don't order any food from Cineworld... its cooked speedy-fast... moreso than McDonalds etc, it makes the food so greasy it literally bursts when temp-probed... niiice...

My avatar is sucky. I'll get round to doing something about that.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:20 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I print bingo paper. It's loud, dirty, and boring until the press breaks down. Then it's just tedious, frustrating, and dirty. I don't know what else to say without sounding technical or explaining fully what I do at my boring job.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:56 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: somewhere in time. following your life. plotting to control you.
umm.. i do random jobs around town? i got 500 dollars for working at the state fair 2 weeks ago

randomly reviving threads

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: under your keyboard, smiling at all the dust mites....
angelo chronos wrote:
umm.. i do random jobs around town? i got 500 dollars for working at the state fair 2 weeks ago

randomly reviving threads

meaning you unemployed :lol:

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I am currently a temp working as a data entry clerk for the next 6 months. As it is with the N.H.S. it is slightly above miniumum wage but nothing runs smoothly. Half the time we have no work, we get work that is not our responsibility, then we are not given the enough access to complete the larger tasks. I enjoy the repetitiveness of the job, (despite doing 37.5 hours a week), and am glad to be working.

I do not know about anyone else but I am a lazy so-in-so when at home all day. This job is much better so far than my previous one, (working in the N.H.S. Financial Services Dept.), since I do not have to deal with crazy people unable to understand the most basic travel claim forms.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:42 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not old enough to have a job, But i hope to be a writer and working on a novel. If that doesn't work out i hope to work at wizards of the coast

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]