It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hoenn Pokemon... Totally uninspired? 
Fails at life
Fails at life

I for one absolutely hated the pokemon in the Hoenn region except like 4 of them. To me they looked so uncreative and some were just knockoffs of Johto and Kanto. Is it just me or does anyone agree?

{dragonite}{tyranitar}{garchomp}{porygon-z}{kingdra}{dusknoir}

Call Me God Cuz My G is O.D.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Is just you. For me, Hoenn has the most original and creative Pokemon.

The only uncreative Hoenn Pokemon I can think right now is Corphish/Crawdaunt, who looks like Krabby/Kingler, BUT Corphish/Crawdaunt are based on a lobster, so they are not a total copy.

But maybe the fact that the 1st Pokemon game I played is Sapphire explains why I prefer Hoenn over the other 3 regions.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:36 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The pokemon (to me) seemed rushed, based off bad ideas, and all around just... stupid.

http://obeliskgfx.wordpress.com

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:42 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

For me the worst was Sinnoh...it seemed like ther was no imagination involved. Hoenn was pretty good for me, the pokemon were really bizarre for those games. Although they did seem a bit rushed.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

http://obeliskgfx.wordpress.com

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

My favorite was Johto.

I <3 You

Anyways, yeah for Hoenn the Pokemon looked so dull. Zigzagoon and Tailow look like real animals, not Pokemonish.

Last edited by Pillage on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:54 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

MOST of them seems to be leftovers from Crystal, such as Jirachi. I think they have a hard time which of Celebi and Jirachi are included at Crystal, and they choose Celebi. But as I said, MOST, means not all. {metagross} and {latias} seems really original to me.

-psynvrn, 2008

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:12 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Some of them like Claydol, Metagross or Ludicolo seem very creative to me, stilll, I find some of them to be quite unoriginal, I have always prefered the animal-liked ones, so I didn't liked the 3rd gen a lot.

"Suppose there was an intelligence, vast and unknowable. Suppose it lit the big bang, suppose it wrote the laws of physics, and has been subtly moulding the universe for 14 billion years. Now keep a straight face and tell me that it cares where you stick your dick."

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:32 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

MOST of them seems to be leftovers from Crystal, such as Jirachi. I think they have a hard time which of Celebi and Jirachi are included at Crystal, and they choose Celebi. But as I said, MOST, means not all. {metagross} and {latias} seems really original to me.

Well Latias and Latios look like pre-evolutions of Lugia.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:21 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Yea, I think that Hoenn had by far the weakest pokémon, design-wise. Too many useless water types (Like we really needed more of those), and too many weird looking pokémon. I liked Hoenn's legendaries though.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 am
Profile ICQ
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

my first game played was Ruby, i love hoenn legendaries but alot of the pokes are wierd looking, (the rarest ones i found, where the most unusual looking(i'd got 180 without walkthroughs) came the slowest. while the standard zizagoon was just plain. My favourite looking generation was the first. looking at the original 150 they look so unburdoned and fresh.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:27 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I can't believe some people here were "too young" to play RBY and GSC. It just disgusts me that the internet is a playground for little children now.

Hoenn generation was a disgrace to Pokemon in general. It spawned extremely CRAPPY pokemon like Wurmple, Dustox, Beautifly, Gardevoir, Blaziken, Walreign, Milotic, Feebas, the list goes on. Even the GAMES sucked with the introduction of contests and the removal of what made GSC possibly the best generation - night/day/morning. At least Sinnoh had some decent pokemon AND a decent region.

in b4 Pelli posts about Hoenn being amazing

Edit: I edited out the offense part of my post. Sorry for offending anyone.

Last edited by Krisp on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hoenn was a joke, Krisp summed it up. :evil:

Heh, Krisp yelling at 9 year-olds...although I know one that played Crystal...

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Too young???? Honestly??? I played RBY when I was about 7 on the original black gameboy....ahhh...the good old days....but back to the discussion, I still say Sinnoh was worst, then Hoenn, Johto, and Knato...but Kanto was the first, can't get anymore original than that =p

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

See I knew I wasn't the only one that felt this way. And yeah the introduction of Contests was disgusting, that REALLY killed it for me.

*Edit* Meh, Sinnoh was WAAAAAAAY better than Hoenn IMO

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:39 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

People and their knee-jerk "NEW = BAD" reaction toward Sinnoh are getting really old. If you ever actually bothered playing Pearl/Diamond you'd see that they are probably the best Pokemon games yet objectively. (They're certainly not my favorites, however, as I prefer RBYGSC for the nostalgia.)

I hated the Hoenn region, many of the Hoenn Pokemon and Ruby and Sapphire in general from the first time I played it. The Pokemon designs are rather uninspired compared to the generations that came before and, yes, AFTER it. The lack of old Pokemon and the existence of FRLG/Colosseum/XD all just to get them back basically crapped on Ruby/Sapphire, but designing new Pokemon with the intent to replace the old ones (e.g. Beautifly/Butterfree) just added salt to the wounds.

I really hate 90% of the new additions from Ruby/Sapphire. EVs and EV training, IVs and IV breeding, planting and watering berries, looking for the right natures, etc. These things all make preparing for battles a chore rather than actually fun. Abilities are alright. But generally, they added a lot of unnecessary crap to RS (Contests and double battles are both PERFECT examples) and took out a lot of the good parts of GSC (morning/day/night, EASY fishing, having your mom save your money, old Pokemon, etc).

These are just a few reasons why I hated Hoenn from the start and still do. And I don't think I have anything against "newer" Pokemon games because I've played Diamond every day for almost four months now.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:55 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

Yeah I think Sinnoh was one of the best too.. well at least 3rd best. lol

I mean even Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 is better than Hoenn.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:51 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

People and their knee-jerk "NEW = BAD" reaction toward Sinnoh are getting really old. If you ever actually bothered playing Pearl/Diamond you'd see that they are probably the best Pokemon games yet objectively. (They're certainly not my favorites, however, as I prefer RBYGSC for the nostalgia.)

I hated the Hoenn region, many of the Hoenn Pokemon and Ruby and Sapphire in general from the first time I played it. The Pokemon designs are rather uninspired compared to the generations that came before and, yes, AFTER it. The lack of old Pokemon and the existence of FRLG/Colosseum/XD all just to get them back basically crapped on Ruby/Sapphire, but designing new Pokemon with the intent to replace the old ones (e.g. Beautifly/Butterfree) just added salt to the wounds.

I really hate 90% of the new additions from Ruby/Sapphire. EVs and EV training, IVs and IV breeding, planting and watering berries, looking for the right natures, etc. These things all make preparing for battles a chore rather than actually fun. Abilities are alright. But generally, they added a lot of unnecessary crap to RS (Contests and double battles are both PERFECT examples) and took out a lot of the good parts of GSC (morning/day/night, EASY fishing, having your mom save your money, old Pokemon, etc).

These are just a few reasons why I hated Hoenn from the start and still do. And I don't think I have anything against "newer" Pokemon games because I've played Diamond every day for almost four months now.

You semmed it up preeettty well frost. And the thing with new = bad.. Well, that's stupid. I loved sinnoh. It is what got me into Pokemon. After I played it, I started playing the oldies, and realized how cool pokemon is. And I agree abput the contests and poffins. Stuuupid. And the natures, IVs, Evs, I agree with you, they make raising a good team a chore, especially because Elites aren't good for training until your pokemon have gotten510 EVs. That means 510 battles before Elites become an option. I think RSE is stupid. Atleast the Elites are actually difficult now, but there now more stressful then fun. RBY's Elite four were the Perfect, Fun, elites that nintendo should keep on making. I rest my case.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:07 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

Frost wrote:

You semmed it up preeettty well frost. And the thing with new = bad.. Well, that's stupid. I loved sinnoh. It is what got me into Pokemon. After I played it, I started playing the oldies, and realized how cool pokemon is. And I agree abput the contests and poffins. Stuuupid. And the natures, IVs, Evs, I agree with you, they make raising a good team a chore, especially because Elites aren't good for training until your pokemon have gotten510 EVs. That means 510 battles before Elites become an option. I think RSE is stupid. Atleast the Elites are actually difficult now, but there now more stressful then fun. RBY's Elite four were the Perfect, Fun, elites that nintendo should keep on making. I rest my case.

I agree entirely. RBY had the PERFECT Elite 4. If they don't want to keep remaking them their should be some way to play them again because they were way more fun to fight. On my Fire Red I've beated the Elite 4 272 times just training and evolving Pokemon to complete my PokeDex.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:44 am
Illiterate
Illiterate

:objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection:
If you didn't notice, the hoenn region had some of the most original pokémon in the entire franchise. But, there are a few that are un-origional. Corpish, Crawdaunt, wingull and wurmple are the most un-origional that you can get, but so is Krabby. and Caterpie. And Rattata. and Goldeen. And who could forget Poliwag? a tadpole. with a tail. and legs. I could go walk down to he park and see at least one tadpole. I could go on for hours. Also, this could be considered a flaming topic. I was offended, because my FAVORITE POKEMON IS HOENN REGION. *Sigh*. I need a cookie.

P.S.-
I think yer all idiots about this topic. That's how PO'd i am. I don't care if I get probation. All idiots. all of you.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

I am blown away by the incredible amount of maturity demonstrated in the post above me.

WAHHH U NO AGREE WIFF ME U R IDIOTZ.

Try not to take the opinions of others so freaking seriously. ;[

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I didn't like a lot of the Hoenn Pokemon at first. There's a lot of ugly ones, like Dusclops, Claydol and Nosepass. There's a lot of pointless Pokemon, like Luvdisc and Wurmple.

But there's a lot of awesome ones- Absol, Metagross, Flygon, Gardevoir, Blaziken.. do I need to go on?

I personally think the third gen is pretty damned awesome. Yes, it has its low points, like the introduction of natures and the loss of night and day, but the rest of it is great, a real step up.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i think that most of the pokemon in hoenn like {wurmple} and {corphish}.

i agree that {corphish} is like {krabby}. but i think that the whole evolutions of {wurmple} is just like {caterpie} and {weedle} in one

>>>{silcoon}>>>{beautifly}
{wurmple}
>>>{cascoon}>>>{dustox}

{caterpie}>>>{metapod}>>>{butterfree}

{weedle}>>>{kakuna}>>>{beedrill}

its the whole caterpillar->crysillis->butterfly system.
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:38 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

:objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection: :objection:
If you didn't notice, the hoenn region had some of the most original pokémon in the entire franchise. But, there are a few that are un-origional. Corpish, Crawdaunt, wingull and wurmple are the most un-origional that you can get, but so is Krabby. and Caterpie. And Rattata. and Goldeen. And who could forget Poliwag? a tadpole. with a tail. and legs. I could go walk down to he park and see at least one tadpole. I could go on for hours. Also, this could be considered a flaming topic. I was offended, because my FAVORITE POKEMON IS HOENN REGION. *Sigh*. I need a cookie.

P.S.-
I think yer all idiots about this topic. That's how PO'd i am. I don't care if I get probation. All idiots. all of you.

Wow... you have to be joking.

It's good that the pokemon looked like animals in the Kanto Region... people can actually identify them. But in the Hoen region they were all just really remakes of Kanto and Johto. What got me upset was they were trying to replace the originals. You may say Poliwag is dumb but it evolves in Poliwhirl. One VERY rememberable pokemon.

Nobody can tell me they didn't think {latias} and {latios} linked to {lugia} somehow when they first saw them. NOBODY!

Hoenn Pokemon were just real rip offs and thanks for the flame, a couple more of those around the forum and you'll get
<THIS as your avatar... it aint fun.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:16 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I don't know what you guys are talking about Hoenn being uncreative. Okay sure, it had some creations that completely lacked in creativity (wurmple line, whismur, skitty line, LUVDISC ;o; ), but most of them are really creative. Allow me to go through the list:

A two tailed speedy gecko who evolves into an amazingly fast lizard who is partially made up of a forest; killer chickens; A...swampert?; little baby duckies with lilypads on their heads which evolve into SUPER DUPER HAPPY DANCING PINEAPPLE LILYPAD DUCKS; Goblin + Acorn = WTF?; Ballet dancers that would trade their souls to protect you; ebil mushroom dinosaur?; Walking sound systems (Whismur's not that creative, but loudred and exploud are); sumo masters; Hairy ninjas with little jaws of steel growing out from the back of its head; Bipedal triceratops covered in steel that use their hands to crush things as opposed to their horns; yoga masters; Fireflies who seduce entire flocks of other fireflies into the nightsky and forces them to do whatever sky patterns it wants; A piranha that evolves into a giant shark head that can move at amazing speed, has a pupil that moves back and forth between its huge eye; A camel with a volcano in its back; A tortoise that is also a furnace; Bouncing piggy with a magic pearl; Pandas that are able to be drunk for not just hours at a time, but for their entire lives, and have special spots; Ants that turn into dragonflies who are king of the sandstorms; Scarecrow + Cactus = devil in the desert ;o; ; Cloud birdies; Rocks from space that symbolizes the two most recognized astronomical symbols; satanic lobsters; A toy that was abandoned by its owner and turned into a ghost that forever seeks revenge, and has a ZIPPER MOUTH; A magical dinosaur that, if you are ever stranded on an island with one, will keep you alive with an endless supply of bananas :D ; Wind chime; Goats who isolate themselves from society, and only reappear when danger is afoot; Snow spirits who make houses prosper by visiting them, who evolve into giant floating rice balls/hockey masks; A strange little dragon that dreams of flight; A strange computer-robot that walks on four legs; A wish pokemon; A space virus; Fossil fish; How the hell does having pokemon that rule over certain things like the Roman gods did show how "GF is running out of ideas"? :/

List of creative AG pokemon. So yeah, I don't really know what you guys're talking about. We had some of the most uncreative abominations of all pokemon in this gen, but we also had the above winners. Which is well good enough. And even pokemon like Pelipper, Kecleon, and Zangoose that aren't AMAZINGLY creative are good too, because pokemon is about the creative species, and the pokemonified animals.

Post/Rant end.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next