It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Hoenn - the Golden Age of Pokemon? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I don't really know but the gps says to make a illegal u-turn I wonder if it's a bug type
I loved hoenn ( probly because it was the first pokemon game I ever played it was my brothers and hr gave it to me). Anyways I bought emereld after my brother gave me ruby and I rocked that game I never whited out and I only used two pokes for half the game so hoenn is by far my favorite region but I think unova my becom second soon

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
GofD, I'm pretty sure people are, as you were getting at at first, are referring to the gameplay. Towards the end, it seemedd like, to me, you were talking more about the fans and how Pokemon in general was viewed. Although, my opinion is slightly biased, as I've never played GSC or RBY. Well, I have played Red, but for about half an hour. then I had to leave my friend's house and he lost it. I've never seen the game again. >_<

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Edoc'sil wrote:
GofD, I'm pretty sure people are, as you were getting at at first, are referring to the gameplay. Towards the end, it seemedd like, to me, you were talking more about the fans and how Pokemon in general was viewed.

I am aware of that, but when someone talks about a "Golden age" of a game franchise (or anything), it encompasses ALL aspects. (The games, its spinoffs, shows and so on and so forth.) That includes how people precieve the game.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quite Frankly, after the anime came out people were already saying "MAAAAAAAAAAN pokemon is lame". So that can't really be included. It's about what the people who are fans and avid players consider to be the best. A lot of people will say that RBY was the best but that's for nostalgia factor. Gen II being what I considered the "perfect" game was the golden era for me. The anime was going strong and the game play was fantastic. Now it's purely subjective as to what was the "Golden Era" truly is.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Personally, to me, I believe it depends on which part of Gen III you're talking about. I mean the anime in my opinion, sucked. I remember just turning on the tv one afternoon when it regularly came on, and there was just a regular episode on, and there's Groudon! Right the hell there on a random episode. That really kinda just made me feel like the regular anime lost its luster. I was fine with the Gen II anime, where the episode where there were like several Lugia on the beach, but there was an actual purpose behind that and a reason for it in the episode. But for Groudon to just randomly be there?! No. Not cool.

As far as the games go though? I first bought ruby, I pre-ordered it, I half expected to find something that was similar to RB, but when I didn't I just compared everything to it, "Oh Wurmple, that's a fusion of Caterpie and Weedle because they got lazy and wanted the Beedrill and Butterfree evolutions to come out of the same pokemon....That's cool I guess." But it didn't take me long to get used to the new style of things and just get over the nostalgia everyone seems to be talking about. I sucked it up because at that time the rest of my Pokemon games had either gone missing somewhere in my house or been stolen, I had Ruby and I made the best of it. Yeah there were things I didn't like. Like Linoone, I think he's just grossly decked out in defenses and Hp, I of course never had the patience to raise one, but everytime I came across one in the wild I was just thinking, "Well f**k, here we go again....Hydro pump...No? And you're only lvl25? Of course...."

I have to agree that the water routes could get somewhat confusing, but that's only if you were out there around Mossdeep and Shoal Cave surfing around for no particular reason, the route that passes by the sunken ship I think was pretty hard to get lost on. And I also have to agree that the different areas that they included, were really pretty nice. I mean I like how the safari zone in HGSS tries to do the same thing, but nothing really beats running throught the desert and actually battling a Sandslash, Claydol, or Vibrava. As per the volcano they did do a pretty good job, but I think I would've liked to have seen a bit more actual fire-type pokemon around it, maybe some magby encounters?

Speaking of the fact that weren't many of the original pokemon in the game, I was glad to see that Skarmory had made a return, but I actually wish Phanpy and Pikachu weren't so hard to find in the game. Now I did see someone saying they didn't need anymore crappy Zubat in their game, but I have to disagree, because I restarted that game countless times and one time when I did I took a friend's Zubat because he didn't want it, and I raised it, eventually it grew to a Crobat and I was doing pretty well with it. I would've kept it had the jackass not come back after seeing I raised it FOR him and saying he wanted it back. But whatever

I wasn't completely satisfied with the games, but I wasn't as disappointed as everyone else it seems.

The only real disappointment to me was the anime.

Golden age of Pokemon? I'd say about the time the first movie was coming out and the Orange Island series was airing on tv.

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:08 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
As far as the anime, you can't just say WTF? for Groudon being there. There was, if memory serves, a storyline leading up to his appearance. 'Random' was relative; it just so happened that the story was at a peak.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:40 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

The one great thing about Hoenn was its anime, which fixed so many things that were wrong with the show; Hoenn's anime was WAYYYY better than Johto's, which is easily the most hated portion of the anime for a reason. May was actually important. Misty in Johto was not. The full break away from Ash's older Pokemon also let new kids into the spotlight, whereas Ash's Johto Pokemon were overshadowed by his Kanto ones. Team Rocket had a fresh start, new villains were introduced, and the starters got split among all three heroes to diversify Ash's team. May's quest also cut back the number of pointless filler episodes by a LOT.

I found the games average, but their anime was the best arc after Kanto IMO.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

my opinion is this 2 because everything was original and had a base in reality without being a duplicate and 4 was competitive battling and light play of pearl, and a better dark/ghost than sableye, were the best and then 1 nostalgia factor, 3 I liked collesieum but hated XD and the game had a different feel I did not like And finally 5 I like it because I like pokemon and no other reason. and as for the anime the biggest wtf moment of the anime happened in the 3rd gen vs. liza and tate with the thunder armor, but your right it did clear up a minefield of plot-holes.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My favorite pokemon, Skitty, is in this region, but it was not the golden age.

Also
Dictionry Pl0x

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The games were average to say the least, but I can say without a doubt that Hoenn is my favorite region in a Pokémon game.

Here are, IMO, the pros and cons of Hoenn and RSE.

Pros:
- Great exploration and thus, replay value
- Introduced a decent biking system
- Abilities
- Double Battles
- A proper Berry system
- Amazing overworld music
- Weather and tall grass introduced
- First game to try a more in-depth story climax
- Some good Pokémon came out of Hoenn. The Starters are some of my favorites as a set.
- Brought the concept of a female player character into full light.
- Best graphics for a 2D Pokémon game.

Cons:
- Gym Leaders are bland and unmemorable
- Very narrow variety of Pokémon
- Bland and forgettable battle music
- This is the generation where the Pokémon started to lose originality and where it was beginning to get annoying that they were throwing in too many retro Pokémon in with the new ones.
- I don't like the male player character. Mostly his white hair.

I don't believe that was the Golden Age of Pokémon. I agree with everyone else, that title belongs to Generations I & II. However, I think RSE are very underrated games and don't get as much respect as they should.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3