It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Remakes vs. Original 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ok, so I'm taking a break from SoulSilver because I miss my Silver version. You know, when the AI was so primitive that it was easier than it is now. So, I ask, which do you like?
FRLG or Red and Blue?
HGSS or Gold and Silver?

Goodbye
"

Tue May 01, 2012 8:16 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Yellow. RBY and FRLG are like completely different games because RBY was so glitchy, really. But FRLG has stuff I hate like IVs and EVs, and I think the updated graphics could have been better. Plus, RBY's glitches are FUN anyway, and Yellow's sprites hold up today.

Crystal. In addition to the things I don't like about the newer games that I touched on with FRLG, HGSS didn't really add a lot other than making the region and the Pokemon look ugly in pseudo-3D, and making it a lot harder to breed awesome Pokemon. GSC's breeding mechanics were AWESOME compared to the crap that came after it.

Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

See, I dont like HGSS over GSC. It has some qualities that interest me, like the PokeWalker and Battle Frontier, but the AI ssssuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkssssssss.
Especially facing Bugsy. Bugsy was fairly.
easy in GSC. Whereas, in SS, I wanted to reach through the screen and just destroy him. Seriously, a Lv. 18 Scyther right off the bat? I was like "This should be as easy as takig down Burgh in Unova!" And then, I felt like those guys who had their plan screwed up by none other than LLLLEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOOOOYYYYYYYY JJJJJJEEEEEEENNNNNNNKKKKKKKIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNSSSSS.
(I've always wanted to do that.) Then I was pissed when Nikolai, my rival, had a Gastly. I didnt know Sprout Tower had Gastlys in HGSS! Then again, I was stupid enough to trust my memory over the greatest sight ever.

Goodbye
"

Wed May 02, 2012 4:08 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

R/B/Y and G/S/C will always be my favourites, simply because they mean something to me. All those days spent trying to catch them all, and one day i hope to see me kid doing the same. But then again ive played FR/LG more than any other game and it means even more to me so im kind of in the middle on this one.

Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Samurott what happened to "I'm so intelligent, I have all the brains"

I generally prefer the remakes. That goes for most games that have enhanced remakes. In Pokémon's case, you got running shoes, the interface is less than half the hassle it used to be, and, well, nobody battles gen 1 or 2 (or 3) anymore.

I actually don't feel FR/LG were revamped quite enough. The Kanto Pokédex ought to have been expanded upon, berry trees should have existed, the script could have been more natural-feeling, breeding introduced far earlier than it was, more to do and see than just what the Sevii Islands offered, stuff like that.

HGSS did better, with its great gym leader rematches, the way it doesn't lock you out of evolving anything that wouldn't be in the Johto Dex if you can what you need to do it, lets you trade with any gen 4 game any time, includes pretty much everything Platinum had and more...

Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I actually find it harder to go back into old games because the new ones are improved so much. That's what happened when I tried to play Saphirre again.

sad but rad

Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Dragonair101 wrote:
I actually find it harder to go back into old games because the new ones are improved so much. That's what happened when I tried to play Sapphire again.
In what ways?

The only new thing I really like about the 4th Gen remakes is the Physical/Special split, because it made so many crap Pokemon better (Giving Hitmonchan usable elemental punches for example), and made ones that were already good into beasts (Like Gengar and Gyarados, whose STABs could finally run off their better offensive stat). Another thing I like about SS over Crystal is that I have a much more varied Pokemon selection for my initial team, but that's more due to me finally having 2 systems to trade eggs between than any intrinsic mechanic. Playing through SS has really made me long to play Crystal again, though, even if my team options are much more limited early on. Even if the P/S split is awesome, I still hate the IVs and EVs and natures and excessive HM spam and all that crap that other old-timers complain about. If only I could play Crystal with the P/S Split...

As for FRLG, they don't hold much appeal to me, since I never played RBY that much... I started playing Pokemon in 2000, in the 2nd Gen, so it doesn't hold any nostalgia value for me. That, and I dislike the 3rd Gen in general... so much surfing... :frustrated:

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:30 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

RGBY vs. FRLG = FireRed & LeafGreen
Well, because LeafGreen is the first Pokemon game I have(and Charmander is the first Pokemon I ever had), that's why I pick the remakes. Plus, I hate the first gen, not the Pokemon, I just hate the game because the graphic is simply ugly, imo : P
You guys are right about the berries stuffs, though. And the thing I personally dislike is the fact that there are no Gen III Pokemon in wild >.>

GSC vs. HGSS = ?
I dunno about this though. I've played Crystal, but not that far(Jasmine's gym, I guess?). I've also played HGSS, but the rom always crash when I played it, so I give up... But, well, I guess HGSS is better, nice graphics, Pokemon following us, no need to hold the B button to run anymore, etc.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:55 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@Skeleton: They went on a cruise around the Arabian Peninsula. Ain't my damn fault.
Well, after beating SS, I'm like :I meh. It was a good game, and I like the idea, but that **** AI. EVERY SINGLE G****MN TIME I ATTACK THE NPC, IT MISSES!!!
Then, there are those times when it does hit, and I'm all like, "ALRIGHT!!!" and jump up and down to celebrate one FU****G HIT!!! It's annoying.

Goodbye
"

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]