It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Anyone here designed a custom Pokemon game? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I came up with the idea of building a Pokemon region based on my local area (southern Indiana/northern Kentucky--yeah, nothing to be proud of world-wise but I think I did a good job with what I put together). I thought I'd include all 649 species and I did have to make a few 'aesthetic' changes to the map to make it a bit more like the other regions (more caves, a sea zone in place of where 2 rivers meet, etc.). To solve the problem of trading (if my other idea below couldn't gel out somehow), I thought of the idea of sending Pokemon straight to the Day-care via PC (makes some sense, doesn't it?).

I also had an idea (that I sent an email to Nintendo about, but they aren't in the habit of taking suggestions along this line--at least they were nice enough to give me a reply) of a program (PC/Mac based) that would allow one to create their own custom worlds based on existing graphics material from the games. I think that coupled with the wi-fi setup in the DS sets, it would make a great way for people to connect around the world.

Unfortunately, Nintendo said they weren't interested in that idea because of the need for cross-compatibility with computer systems (I guess licensing is the big issue there).

But yeah, the question in the subject heading still stands.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:45 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

When I was younger (like, 10), I tried designing my own Pokemon game. But, unfortunately, I was 10! I drew crude maps, and attempted to draw out a whole new set of Pokemon. I even tried to come up with my own types (I came to the conclusion that Nintendo have pretty much covered all the bases).

I haven't tried anything like that since then, though.

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

ClawsonExperience wrote:
When I was younger (like, 10), I tried designing my own Pokemon game. But, unfortunately, I was 10! I drew crude maps, and attempted to draw out a whole new set of Pokemon. I even tried to come up with my own types (I came to the conclusion that Nintendo have pretty much covered all the bases).

I haven't tried anything like that since then, though.

That doesn't sound too bad.

But yeah, I was just going to stick with the 649 species. I didn't actually draw a map, but I made a chart of locations and how they were linked to one another. I had to exclude certain towns in my area because it would have seemed redundant to move, say, 50 spaces down a route and end up in a town that could probably only host a Pokemon center and 2 houses.

I also made another chart of where Pokemon would appear. It wasn't easy--I had to dump anywhere from 6 to 10 species per route and few of them appear in more than one location. The only species that appear in more than 2 locations are the common bird Pokemon (and I divided their areas up--so you could leave a route where there were Hoothoot to go into a cave, come out on the other side and the common bird would be Pidove), the common cave Pokemon (Zubat, Woobat, Geodude, Roggenrola) and a few water Pokemon that would appear in freshwater areas.

Some species I had trouble placing--Fighting and Psychic especially. I eventually settled on placing them one per route in certain areas. I also avoided using evolutions and even first stage Pokemon in the case of genetic families with 'baby' forms.

I did include a Safari Zone area (I just called it 'Logan's Farm' because I couldn't think of a good name and 'Safari Zone' is used too much already).

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ever since I first played the two Stadium games six years ago, I've *always* had in my mind my own custom Pokemon Stadium game that is as close to perfection as possible (and I mean it, I've thought through this game very throughly). I've actually written a very detailed summary of it, I'll post it when I get a chance to do so (on my Wii at the moment).

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

This is that summary in the previous post:

Mine's a Stadium-style game (on the Wii of course).

Essentially, there are 11 modes in the game (2 are unlockable), which are as follows:

* Everything's the same as before unless specified and this game doesn't include generation 5 whatsoever.

1) Stadium: All cups can be fought in either single or double battles.

Poké cup - Purely a L50 cup this time.

Challenge cup

Rival cup - This cup has the same core rule as that of the Waterfall colosseum in Pokémon Battle Revolution (the pre-selected team rule) but with minor changes. Essentially, instead of requiring to win 3 rounds out of a possible 5, the 3 round rule is absolute. You must win two-thirds majority of the three rounds in order to win the overall match. As far as leveling is concerned, you can enter Pokémon higher than level 50 but will drop to that level. Obviously, the ban on super lendaries such as Mewtwo and Mew still applies.

Prime cup

2) Indigo stadium - This is the gym leader mode. The difference between here and gym leader castle is that with this mode, you fight the gym leaders but in the framework of the stadium mode, hence the name (the indigo part is taken from Indigo Plateau). You fight each set of leaders and elites (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh) as a cup named after each respective region. Otherwise, everything remains the same. However, like the Stadium games, there are two rounds to complete. In round 1, each cup has the generation-limit rule (see the Fighting Dojo below) but this rule does not apply in the second round. The idea being that the gym leaders and elites will stick to their regional Pokémon in round 1 (for example, the Hoenn leaders can only use the 200 or so Pokémon that were actually catchable in RSE) and then in round 2 their teams are alot more diverse (think of the gym leaders rematches in HGSS). Basically, regional and non-regional teams.

Each cup has 8 rounds with 4 trainers to defeat, with the gym leader as the 4th trainer. And then you proceed with the elite four of each region and when you defeat the champion, you win the cup. As far as the Kanto cup is concerned, it follows the GSC storyline with Janine as the Fuchsia gym leader and Blue as the Viridian gym leader. You face Red as the champion of the Kanto cup (obviously, with no elite four beforehand). The Hoenn cup follows the set presented in Emerald, with Juan as the Sootopolis gym leader and Wallace as the champion. Finally, when you win each of the 4 cups, a special Indigo cup appears. It serves as a champion-of-champions elite four style round with the 4 cup champions and then you face Steven Stone as the ultimate champion of the mode.

3) Mt. Battle.

4) Fighting Dojo - The basic rule to this battle mode is a generation-limit rule. On the surface, it's like a Stadium cup - you've got four diferent sub-cups (Yellow cup, Crystal cup, Emerald cup and Platinum cup) and you must clear the previous cup in order to proceed to the next one. Otherwise, this mode is exactly like the Battle Frontier - you enter with 3 Pokémon at the start and face seven randomized trainers. Like the Frontier Brains, a Dojo Master will challenge you as the 28th trainer, and has a team that consists of the 3 starters in that region. Obviously, the difficulty gets tougher as you go along. However, instead of keeping to a ever-lasting streak, a limit is set at 4 rounds with the Dojo master as the last trainer. The streak is reset back to zero again.

Anyway, each round has a generation limit on the Pokémon you can use - only the first 151 Pokémon are eligible for round 1 and the first 251 Pokémon are eligible for round 2 and so on and so fourth (obviously, the ban on super lendaries such as Mewtwo and Mew still applies). Furthermore, the limit on eligible Pokémon for round 3 and round 4 are both based on their respective regional PokéDexes (Hoenn and Sinnoh).

5) Free Battle.

6) Mini-games.

7) [insert player's name] - Essentially the same as Oak's Lab in previous games. You also have the ability to customize your character.

8) Hall of fame - Essentially the same as Victory Palace in Stadium 1.

9) Shop.

The game has a titles system - there are three trainer classes, when you're in battle -- in the context of "Champion [player's name] wants to fight!". Essentially, these change when you accomplish certain tasks in the game, which are as follows.

I) Trainer. This is the one you start out with.
II) Champion. You earn this title when you defeat the champion trainer the first time round.
III) Grandmaster. Likewise, this title is only earned when you achieved absolutely everything in the game. And I mean that literally -- when you get every single Pokémon into the hall of fame and so on and so forth.

Once you complete the 4 main battle modes, you'll enter a champion battle, essentially the same as that of Mewtwo and the rival in previous games. The Rival cup the pre-selected team rule applies but the battle is a full 6-on-6 battle so you must win at least 4 rounds in order to win but all 6 Pokémon must participate.

The good thing is, it isn't over. Like the 2 Stadium games, you enter a second round with even harder trainers to fight against. The good news is that this only applies to the two Stadium modes. Plus, the Fighting Dojo undergoes an upgrade. The mode becomes a fully fledged stadium cup, with the Dojo Masters as the eight and last trainers in each cup. Speaks for itself really. Lastly, after defeating the champion, the Battle Frontier becomes available, like in the handheld games.

Battle Frontier - There's 5 facilities this time around.
-Battle Arena
-Battle Factory
-Battle Hall
-Battle Tent - The basic theme of this facility is weather. Before you start each battle, the weather effect will be randomized and will run throughout the entire battle. Attacks and abilities that summon/eliminate a weather effect (such as Sunny Day or Rain Dance) are deemed useless.
-Battle Tower

Orre colosseum
Mode: n/a
Criteria: Complete round 2 of the two Stadium modes, the Fighting Dojo upgrade, defeat each of the Frontier Brains once and then defeat the Champion trainer again.
Details: 8 rounds with 4 trainers each, this is the hardest challenge in the game.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

That's pretty cool. I mean, I'm not that big into the Stadium-style games, but one on that scale would be worth playing.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm beginning to work on a hack of a Ruby ROM on the computer. I've got the software, but still need to actually get down and do it. I'm keeping all the existing Pokemon, but just changing the towns and routes and such. I'm planning for there to be a generic first and second town, with a couple of generic beginning-of-the-game routes. Then there'll be a third town with a Bug Gym. There's also going to be a sewer area accessible from the third town, which has Koffing, Grimer, Magikarp, and Feebas. That's as far for my plans as I've gotten.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wow this looks fun TT what kind of computer and programs do you need to do this stuff?.
I am very interested.

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:03 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I downloaded a Ruby ROM and a virtual Gameboy, and have various other programs such as Advanced Map, Overworld Editor, and others for the actual hacking part. They're easy to find if you just Google them. That's what I did! :D

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Thank you so much TT this idea never came to my until I saw this. :twisted: the computer will never be any funner.

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Awesome.

I wish I could put one together using material from all 5 games (but that would take a lot of time to assemble and I don't exactly have the know-how or the time to do so [I'm a working man]).

Not sure what set of maps I'd use as a template. Maybe Gold/Silver but then I'd have to deal with all those later-generation Pokemon not being available.

The gyms I'd had in mind (in order you fight them) would be: Ground, Psychic, Ghost, Normal, Fire, Dark, Poison and Bug.

The Elite Four's type lineup would be: Water, Flying, Electric, Dragon. The Champion would be a mixed-type team (naturally).

twistedturtwig wrote:
I'm beginning to work on a hack of a Ruby ROM on the computer. I've got the
software, but still need to actually get down and do it. I'm keeping all the existing Pokemon, but just changing the towns and routes and such. I'm planning for there to be a generic first and second town, with a couple of generic beginning-of-the-game routes. Then there'll be a third town with a Bug Gym. There's also going to be a sewer area accessible from the third town, which has Koffing, Grimer, Magikarp, and Feebas. That's as far for my plans as I've gotten.

Other notes about my 'concept':

I did drop a few aesthetics that appear in most (if not all of the games):

1. No Victory Road (at least, not a cave--maybe just make the routes heading to the Elite Four's community contain certain field move-related puzzles and powerful trainers).

2. Fewer freshwater areas (to avoid overspreading of common water Pokemon).

3. While I've decided to add a ruins area where you can resurrect Zekrom and Reshiram, I've decided no wild Pokemon will appear there (so I can add the area to my design without having to redistribute wild species).

4. No Dragon's Den area. The dragons of the game will be found in various areas.

5. No desert environment. I couldn't fit one in (it seemed a little too hard to believe compared to the other aesthetics I managed to cram in). So instead most desert-themed Pokemon will appear in or around a certain cave (which would have volcanic features as well).

Another thing I decided on was to include numerous roaming Pokemon, most of which would behave in a unique manner upon discovery in the field:

Genesect--Will always stand and fight.

Jirachi--Initially appears asleep in battle, and will flee upon awakening.

Tornadus--Runs immediately from battle.

Thundurus--Runs immediately from battle.

Landorus--Will run immediately if neither Tornadus nor Thundurus are in your current party. Otherwise, it will stand and fight.

Mew--Behavior would be totally erratic, it may run on any given turn. I chose this in keeping with its 'playful' behavior.

Latios--Attacks on the first turn, then runs. Will stand and fight if its counterpart has been caught.

Latias--See Latios.

Also, certain legendaries would only appear after other legendaries have been caught/are in the current party:

Lugia (after Raikou, Entei and Suicune are caught)
Ho-oh (after Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres are caught and after 1st Elite Four victory)
Rayquaza (after Groudon and Kyogre are caught)
Regigigas (after the other 3 golems are caught)
Mewtwo (after 3 Elite Four victories and the capture of 2 other legendaries whose appearances coincide with these victories--Meloetta, then Victini. Victini is required in your party in order to face Mewtwo)
Darkrai (after Cresselia is caught)
Kyurem (after Zekrom and Reshiram are obtained)

Other, non-legendary one-of-a-kinds:

Rotom--hidden in a TV at a guardshack for a bridge (early in the game)

Castform--giveaway

Larvesta--giveaway

Spiritomb--appears in basement of 'haunted tower' environment

Lapras--giveaway

Porygon--giveaway

Flash would remain a TM move (and TMs would be reusable).

The HM list is as follows:

1-Cut
2-Fly
3-Surf
4-Strength
5-Defog
6-Rock Smash
7-Waterfall
8-Rock Climb
9-Whirlpool
10-Dive

Total # of TMs I planned for the game: 175.

Most of the Pokeballs from previous games would be available.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Epic

Me and my younger brother have a game all set, we have been working on it for like 2 years and it's programmed and good to go. I based it on ruby/sapphire /emerald in the sence that the starters develop other types as they evolve. It also features 4 stage pokemon like this one

Drertle evolves into Drellbie evolves into Dresire evolves into Dressagon

Also it has different forms for almost all of the Pokemon featured
After you beat the elite four you get access to 5 islands where you can catch Pokemon from all generations

It is kinda cool but the artwork is crap

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]