It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 DS Dilemma 
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

So here's what the situation is.

I got my very first DS Lite on my birthday in April 2007 - all black. It lasted for about two and a half years or so, but then the plastic joint - the hinge - that held the screen in place cracked. Before long, it fell off altogether, making that DS Lite's top screen incapable of holding itself up on its own. (The buttons were wearing out also.)

About the time that the DSi came out (what was that, August 2009?), I got a second DS Lite to replace my old one - the reason I did not decide to get a DSi (despite the discount) was because I loved to be able to play GBA games on a DS, complete with brighter color, headphones...the whole gig.

Today is February 23, 2012, and as I was EV training one of my Pokemon...the plastic hinge joint cracked, just like the other one. Not good. That means it's ultimately going to fall off completely.

I want to prepare myself for the eventuality that I will soon have two DS Lites that cannot hold their own top screens up (ah, c'est une tragedie!), and thus, I will need to eventually purchase a new system. The Pal Pad reset will not be too much of a big deal; I only trade out of two games anyway, and I can leave Diamond trading on my current DS Lite while having Black version move up. (Or, I could keep them both there.) Moving on.

What I find really sucks is that, accounting for this, both of my DS Lites have had a shelf life of only 2.5 years. In addition, I have 2 GBA SP units that I've had for quite a lot longer than that, and both of them are in good working condition.

I see myself as having a few options: I could try to find a DS or DS Lite used, try and find a DSi to use as my main system, or just go for a 3DS. I am a bit reluctant to jump to a DSi or 3DS as neither of them have a GBA slot...but like I said before, I have 2 working SPs and I usually use those for GBA (or GBC) play anyway. I might be leaning towards a DSi, but on the flip side, a 3DS can play games from DS and the upcoming 3DS. However...I detest 3D graphics with a passion and would probably want them permanently turned off.

One perk about the DSi, though, are the buttons - I absolutely LOVE the DSi's buttons because they're identical to an SP's; they never wear out. If the 3DS's buttons are like that too, then...cool.

By the time my birthday (April) comes around, I will probably be able to get a new system, so let's just say for the sake of argument that cost is not a factor, but please try to mention the prices of the various systems if you can. I usually buy locally at GameStop (I do not like nor do I trust the Internet or postal system for something like this), for the option of having it right then and there. However, because of that, I might want to buy new instead of used (that's what I did for my 2nd DS Lite, as the difference in cost was only $20, so why bother?).

As many of you are probably aware, I talk smack about the 3DS a lot because there are no games currently released for it that I actually like. (The only thing I've seen about the 3DS I like is that game when you go collect a bunch of Miis and go out fighting.) So, if you want me to get a 3DS, give me some really convincing arguments. (The same goes for you DSi advocates as well - what could I possibly get from the DSi that a 3DS or DS Lite couldn't already offer me?)

Enlighten me, guys. What is my best course of action, according to you, and why should I choose that?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Personally, I don't like the DSi or 3DS. So when my DS Lite broke a few months ago I was in the same boat. Fortunately, the store I went to still had some DS Lite's ^_^
So what I did was buy a DS Lite to keep me going until they either release A) a game for the 3DS that I want to play B) a remake of R/S/E and maybe FR/LG or C) a system that is superior to the 3DS

I still see DS Lite's around, so you might not have to settle for a used system

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:55 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Why are you throwing out your DS after the hinge breaks? Why not just buy a new housing unit and replace that?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I'm not going to be throwing it out - I will be keeping it. However, I want to prepare myself for the eventuality that, when or if the hinge breaks completely, I know what to do. (I have kept my 1st DS Lite to this day, but since the hinge is broken completely, and thus the top screen won't stay up on its own, it's very frustrating trying to play games on it, and thus I only use it occasionally, such as for playing Ace Attorney-series games.)

Is there a way to try and reattach the hinge? It's still actually on the DS itself; the only flaw is that it's cracked at the part where it attaches fully to the top screen.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Don't get a DSi, it's a worthless bridge between the Lite and the 3DS, and it's the rickety kind with rotting planks and lava underneath.

I just got a 3DS a few weeks ago and it's rrrrreally cool. I hate 3D movies but this is different, this is actually good. Though I like it turned down low. Even if you disagree, it's fine, turn the 3D off and the games are playable just as well. It's never a necessity for the games and it never will be, it's just a fancy feature.

Also the circle pad makes Super Mario 64 DS a million times better. Technically it's the same as using the D-Pad, but physically it's a big difference for the better.

My recommendation would be to get a 3DS and start using that except for when you need that GBA slot. The less you use your Lite, the longer it'll take to break. DS Lites were nice but they were ridden with stupid problems. Shoulder buttons stop working, hinges crack and break... And just when you think it can't happen to yours, WHAM. No more Mario Kart for you.

One more thing... hold Start when loading a DS game on a 3DS to stop the screens from scaling up to fit, if you prefer. The pixels are tiny, but the scaling is kind of ugly.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
Don't get a DSi, it's a worthless bridge between the Lite and the 3DS, and it's the rickety kind with rotting planks and lava underneath.

I thought so.

Quote:
Even if you disagree, it's fine, turn the 3D off and the games are playable just as well. It's never a necessity for the games and it never will be, it's just a fancy feature.

Oh goody. I don't like 3D graphics.
Ironically, I went to Gamestop yesterday and looked at the 3DS demo they had out (playing Mario Kart 7). I looked at the 3D switch and turned it up on a whim...ow, my eyes. I'm not going to turn that switch on if I can help it.

Quote:
My recommendation would be to get a 3DS and start using that except for when you need that GBA slot. The less you use your Lite, the longer it'll take to break. DS Lites were nice but they were ridden with stupid problems. Shoulder buttons stop working, hinges crack and break... And just when you think it can't happen to yours, WHAM. No more Mario Kart for you.

Ironically, Mario Kart DS was what helped contribute to the downfall of my first DS (and thus my eternal vendetta against Mario games). No, it didn't break, but the buttons slowly became less and less responsive. That's actually the one thing I do not like about the DS Lite; the buttons are garbage.

Quote:
One more thing... hold Start when loading a DS game on a 3DS to stop the screens from scaling up to fit, if you prefer. The pixels are tiny, but the scaling is kind of ugly.

good to know

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know how you feel. I got my first ds lite for my birthday 3.5 years ago in 2008. A year later, I had to have it replaced because of... You guessed it. Hinge was cracked. Now, when they sent me a new one, it was like complaining about your order in MickeyD's. Shock pads were missing, the volume... Thing wouldnt work that well, and now the right button barely works at all. So I might upgrade to the 3ds. And on an unrelated note, woulnt it be odd if Porygon can evolve to Porygon-3D in the next gen?

Goodbye
"

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:32 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

If you're willing to go the extra mile to ensure that the next system you buy won't break again in 2.5 years, why not just hunt down an Original DS? They're big and clunky, but more durable than the Lite. Plus, you can problably find a quality used one for a very low price.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:13 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

The original DS is no more durable than the DS Lite. I had one with a broken hinge too.

Quote:
Is there a way to try and reattach the hinge? It's still actually on the DS itself; the only flaw is that it's cracked at the part where it attaches fully to the top screen.

No, replace the housing case.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Sorry for reviving this, since it hasnt been posted in for two and a half months, but my DS now has a similar problem. It fell last night off of my friend's table and onto his concrete floor. Now, I dont know to what extent was the damage on DNA's DS was, but I can now see the innerworkings of the hinge, especially copper, which scares me, because I know that must be the wiring. A friend will give me his for $55, but I kinda want a 3DS. But, I dont want to spend >$100 to fix it. Help!

Goodbye
"

Sat May 05, 2012 3:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My brother had a similar, VERY similar problem, except it was me who got really mad and accidentally threw his DS down a while back, onto tile floor x.x Good thing is, we didn't see copper wiring, and it still props itself sometimes. However, the way we fixed it was to go to the nearest Five Below (or Dollar Tree store, if you don't have one nearby >.> -or if your state/province/country doesn't have Five Below) and got a DS cover thing that protects the DS, other than the buttons, which are needed to be uncovered in order to play anyway ^^; Of course, that doesn't help if neither of them are in your state/province/country :|

Well, basically, my suggestion is to get a protective case and to be extra careful of where you'll put your DS...

Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ok, so how is this possible? I turned it on to get my Gastly off of the walker and stuff, and I did it. But I played for an extra 10 minutes and it just randomly turned off. Now, it'll click on for a second, the screens will flash, then it shuts off. I found this out as I was beating the hell out of the computers' pokemon in PokeAtheleon and it just died. I was like "FFFFFFUUUUUUU-----!!!!!!!"

Goodbye
"

Mon May 07, 2012 6:46 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Samurott wrote:
Ok, so how is this possible? I turned it on to get my Gastly off of the walker and stuff, and I did it. But I played for an extra 10 minutes and it just randomly turned off. Now, it'll click on for a second, the screens will flash, then it shuts off. I found this out as I was beating the hell out of the computers' pokemon in PokeAtheleon and it just died. I was like "FFFFFFUUUUUUU-----!!!!!!!"

The battery's probably dead. Try replacing it.

And yes, I can now see a line of copper on the hinge itself; the plastic piece that conceals the hinge has now fallen off completely, and now neither of my DS Lites have a top screen that stays in place. Fortunately I have a 3DS in my possession now so I guess the worries of this thread are over.

Mon May 07, 2012 10:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thanks. My DS is a wreck as it is. Does any know where I can find said battery?

Goodbye
"

Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

In the Pokewalker itself? You should just be able to unscrew the back and it'll be right there. If memory serves, they're just basic LR44 button-cell batteries, which can be found at most general stores.

Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

No, for the ds. I hope the battery of my walker doesnt die, considering how I got SS a week ago.

Goodbye
"

Tue May 08, 2012 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]