It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Should I buy Pokemon Conquest? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I have a Best Buy gift card with $80 dollars left on it.
I wanted to use it to help me buy Black 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.
Both of which are probably gonna be around $40 dollars.
But, I also am curious about Pokemon Conquest.
Should I buy it? I don't know how I'm going to make some more money (it's complicated).
What's your opinion? I don't know what to do.
I'm also considering renting it but I'm not sure.
Thanks!

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
----------------------------------
Trading Thread
----------------------------------

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It's all completely your decision of course, but having bought Pokemon Conquest I might recommend holding off on buying it or maybe buying it used.

The game is fun, but feels like a very well done fan made game. it's a tactics game that uses Pokemon as it's pieces, rather than being a Pokemon game that uses tactics for it's battles. Each pokemon has a single pre-determined attack, and certain "Warlords" bond with a specific pokemon the best. I found the game provided limited creativity in building your party of warlords, and a straight forward plot. I made it through about half of the game before setting it aside. I might pick it back up again later, but if I want to play a Pokemon game I'm not reaching for it.

(comparing to another game)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
I love the game. You have a few main characters, and each character can play a variety of "jobs" (soldier/black mage/white mage/etc.) depending on their race. In addition, you can add characters of different races to customize your "clan" (team) as you progress. Each character has a primary job with it's own set of abilities you can use for attacks. In addition, you can choose a secondary job set.

(ex. I can have a Human Paladin with access to all the Paladin abilities I have learned, and then choose white magic as a secondary so I can use any white magic (healing) i learned as a white mage)

The end result is a plethora of possible combinations for each character, and then of all those combinations you can use up to 6 in each battle. I like the versatility, and frankly Pokemon Conquest lacks that. Each pokemon has only 1 attack, and each warlord has a specific pokemon they are best with. Imagine being forced to use an Eevee in Platinum that only knew quick attack. when you evolve it you can have some versatility, but the evolution will only have 1 attack. You could use another pokemon instead, but it will not be as strong as your starting Eevee.

I'm not meaning to bash Pokemon Conquest, I did enjoy it, but there is a reason it was half the price as Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:26 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Buy Conquest instead of Black 2. I've played both and Black 2 is the same ol' stuff. Pokemon Conquest is definitely the best spin off to date (besides TCG GB! ;))

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Overall, it's a good game. It uses the type rules from Pokemon on a few different playing fields. The link thing can be confusing though. The best thing is the post completion content. But in truth, while It's deep, it only looks to reuse the main story. It's not fresh.

I'd recommend it if you like strategy games and cannot wait for Black and White 2. It's better than any spin off I've played.

Who said wrestlers and Pokemon couldn't get along?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]