Keep It or Release It? 

Keep It or Release It?
Keep It 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
Release It 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Keep It or Release It? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Back in my early days of playing Pokémon, I used an Action Replay to hack my Ruby and Sapphire versions. I played the game legitimately, though, up to the very end. After finishing the game, like many other gamers, I got frustrated because I could not "Catch 'em All!" because of those darned Nintendo Events. So I bought an Action Replay and hacked in {jirachi} and {deoxys}. (It was a long and grueling task.... I got a few Bad Eggs because of it.) After being content with having those two, and hacking in {feebas} because I was too dumb to do the research on how to get him, I did a whole lot more hacking, because, why not?! I replicated Master Balls, Rare Candies, all items, ...the works. ...I feel terrible about it now.

Now to the actual question... During that time of playing legitimately, I happened to come across a Shiny {doduo}! I was so excited to see my very first one! I caught it and many happiness was had. (I had done research about "stars" from wild Pokémon when my friend had that happen to him, and he had no clue what had just happened. I researched it for him. He found a brown {rattata}, but he just ran like normal. ...Poor guy....) However, during my time playing haxorz, I hacked my Shiny {doduo} up to level 100. I am going to restart my Ruby and Sapphire and play it through legitimately so I can "Catch [most of] 'em all!" I have played through my FR/LG versions multiple times to get all 212 (without and E-Reader). (Yes, I played through it over and over to get all three beasts. View my guide on how I caught them!) Anyways, I don't know what to do with the Shiny {doduo}. I did catch him legitimately, but he is tainted by the hacked level 100 (by rare candies). Should I keep him or release him?

Currently, I have him traded over to my LeafGreen, and I have started to replay over my Ruby. But the question still stands. Keep It or Release It?

Last edited by datachange on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

He's your first shiny. If you feel bad about it you don't have to fight with it, but I would keep it around.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Did you hack the stats at all, or did you basically just Rare Candy it up?

You caught it legitimately, so I say keep it, especially if you only leveled it up. I did something similar when I was younger, with the entirety of my first Leaf Green team, and I still have them. You might as well have cloned several dozen rare candies in the Emerald Battle Tower, if you didn't make any core changes to the Doduo itself. So, go on, keep it, EV train it (legitimately), use it (or not), and treat it as a lesson to avoid doing it again in the future if you still feel guilty.

It's your first Shiny; those are always special.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:19 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thanks for the support! It is all greatly appreciated! *hugs*

And to answer Kiga's question...
I am pretty sure I just used Rare Candies to get it up to 100, as the stats in the IV calculator with 0 EV's in most everything are pretty reasonable. But it looks like he partook in a few battles to get some EV's ...This tells me it was Rare Candies. (Will add to original post.)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The capture was legit that is the important thing. Though personally I would not call leveling it with rare candies 'hacking'. It's more just a lazy way.
(BTW I could have sworn I once heard that using too many rare candies can stunt stat growth or something like that, it's why I never use them).

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Keep you first shiny! I still have my Crobat from my old firered, it's a great memory to keep. I've been unlucky enough to find a rattata and a zubat, both shiny, but no pokeballs lol. But then I got another Zubat.

If you release it, you are going to regret it.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Never release a shiny Pokemon. EVER. That's like the law.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:37 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My first Shiny, Sparkle? Similar situation. Found in the wild, freaked out, caught. Later on, Haxx to lvl 77 with Rare Candys. I can't part with her, even because of illegitimacy. Same with other treasured Pokemon. Ones with memories always should be kept.

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

GhostPony750 wrote:
Keep you first shiny! I still have my Crobat from my old firered, it's a great memory to keep. I've been unlucky enough to find a rattata and a zubat, both shiny, but no pokeballs lol. But then I got another Zubat.

If you release it, you are going to regret it.

I've been unlucky enough to find them and accidentally faint them! XP

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

RedRum wrote:

"Finds Tentacruel shiny, send out Aerodactyl and use wing attack.
Critical it! (Mini heart attack)
Survives with only 1 hp and capture :3"

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:42 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

GhostPony750 wrote:
RedRum wrote:

"Finds Tentacruel shiny, send out Aerodactyl and use wing attack.
Critical it! (Mini heart attack)
Survives with only 1 hp and capture :3"

How about this:
Encounters shiny Drowzee. Is focusing on an episode of 'Without a Trace' so has not taken notice that it's shiny. Is training an Umbreon, has Umbreon use Faint Attack. Drowzee is seconds from fainting, finally looks down and --
"Oh crap it's shiny! Son of a :censored:!"

Epic fail. :frustrated:

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

RedRum wrote:
How about this:
Encounters shiny Drowzee. Is focusing on an episode of 'Without a Trace' so has not taken notice that it's shiny. Is training an Umbreon, has Umbreon use Faint Attack. Drowzee is seconds from fainting, finally looks down and --
"Oh crap it's shiny! Son of a :censored:!"

Epic fail. :frustrated:

Wow o_O

Well, there was that time when I was searching for a Chansey in Heartgold, and I come across a shiny Nidorino. At first, I thought it was a Nidorina, so I tap "Run" on my screen, and it doesn't work, and I'm like "Ermagherd!!!"

But well, I got lucky here. :P

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

First shiny I ever saw was in the Trainer's Tower. There was an green espeon in there on the first few floors in one event and it was consistently shiny every time I fought it. First time I ever found a catchable shiny was on someone else's game of Fire Red that I was borrowing. It wasn't until years (like, 2 of them) that I caught my first shiny that I was able to keep. It was a makuhita in emerald.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Different55 wrote:
First shiny I ever saw was in the Trainer's Tower. There was an green espeon in there on the first few floors in one event and it was consistently shiny every time I fought it. First time I ever found a catchable shiny was on someone else's game of Fire Red that I was borrowing. It wasn't until years (like, 2 of them) that I caught my first shiny that I was able to keep. It was a makuhita in emerald.

Ah yea, these shinies in that tower... it's what made me find Psypokes, as I was searching for information about this. Gotta hack so I can capture them. :o

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]