It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 I sorta think the anime and/or the games are sexist 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

because the way that the "woman of the house" is cleaning, and when I was playing in red, in the silph co. house, a woman said "I feel sorry for him because I have to marry him", and only boys wear trousers, women/girls wear skirts.

And exactly WHERE is Ash's dad??

But hey that's what I think, what about you guys?

Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:47 am
The Geek
The Geek

There are a few elements in the anime/games where it does sort of send that message, yes. Keep in mind, though, that Japanese culture is a bit different. I quote (or at least try to) one of my favorite animes ever, Crest of the Stars, "There is little hope of becoming any more than a good wife and mother..." It's a very different culture there. Look at Jinx. Another example of different culture. Last I checked, there weren't too many black women living in Japan, much less the non-existant "stereotypical" black woman. In fact, I don't personally see much stereotypes anywhere anymore. One example (and I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this, really I am) is that "black people love KFC, cause they love friend chicken" thing. The local KFC is run almost entirely by Mexicans. The Taco Bell up the road is run by the Norwegian-decended white guys, and the McDonald's is run by everyone but white guys. Stereotypically speaking, that's not right.

Personally, I think stereotypes exist only to be defied, and that's what I try to do: stereotypes suck. Stereotypes say I should be sitting here in slacks and a white shirt, equipped with a pocket protector. I'll take some wide-legged jeans and a baggy sweatshirt covering a sarcastic t-shirt, equipped with a GBA-SP and a cell phone myself (I'd have a laptop if I could afford it). For more stereotype defiance, check out http://www.thinkgeek.com and/or http://www.jinxhackwear.com Two of my favorite sites. (Note, certain products (mostly from Jinx) may offend the easily offended, but I think we're all mature enough here, so...)

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Though a few aspects of it are sexist, you need to take into acount that the japaneese culture is very different.

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Feudal_Memmories/

Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:00 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have a laptop and I'm 14/Boy/Canada.

<font color=ACEACE> Sorry dude, but that is the funniest thing I have every heard. It is completely off topic and doesn't make an ounce of sense but anyway...

I know this topic is old but I would just like to say, 'Sure it is sexiest/sometimes kind of racist though the create up there is Japan aren't trying to be,' If they were I am pretty sure that every single character/pokemon would have something about them that would offend atleast one viewer.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

well basically you cant just g arund saying someone is a sexiest

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:29 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

"What's wrong with being sexy?"

Anybody who can guess that Quote gets a virtual Cookie. The surrounding context is a clue.

~ Kamille Bidan (Zeta Gundam)

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:33 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well...

"What's wrong with being sexy?"

Was it Brock? :P

"If you want to stab someone in the back, you first need to get behind them."

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer