I plan on getting started with the world of warcraft here in a few monthes and I had a few questions to ask.
1. I am thinking of choosing the Night Elf/Hunter, I was wondering if you can ride a horse?
I heard you could buy horses in this game.
2. What race is the most popular?
3. Whats the best thing about the game?
4. Has there ever been a time where you have been scared to enter a place because you thought maybe there was a hunter inside of it at a high level and very skilled?
5. How big is the map and whats it like traveling far distances (How far can night elves travel?)
1. Trolls are the extreme better version of Night Elves. Go with a Troll Hunter because if it came down to it, Raptors can eat Horses.
2. The most popular race is probably a tie between humans and undead. Orcs and Night Elves next. Trolls and Dwarves following. Tauren and Gnomes after that.
4. That is only a worry on PvP servers. You won't have that problem until you are like level 20ish and start entering Contested Areas of the map.
5. The map is huge. You do have to take some time to walk from place to place, but that isn't always a bad thing because it gives you a chance to farm things like cloth and ore. You also get to grind your level up while running between cities.
Also, Horde is WAY MORE newbie friendly than Alliance. I've played both, I know. RP servers are extremely weird so stay clear unless you want to get DEEP into the game. Normal and PvP servers are good for people just starting out.
For a Profession: If you are interesting in making truck loads of money for a mount(its like 100g when you hit level 40) then you want to pursue Mining and Skining or Mining and Herbalism. If you are into making your own armor, then go with Skinning and Leatherworking, Mining and Blacksmithing, Tailoring and Enchanting, or Mining and Engineering. Engineering is good for hunters because you can make your own Guns and Ammo. Leatherworking is good for making your armor(until you hit level 40 because Hunters can wear mail at that point). Blacksmithing can outfit you with armor for later and weapons throughout the game. Tailoring is useful for making bags. Enchanting enchants weapons with things like "+Spr".
You also want to pursue Fishing and Cooking to feed your pet. The best Pets for newbies are Bears and Cats. Bears it pretty much anything and Cats eat meat and fish.
You'll want to focus on Agility as a Hunter. A hunter likes to fight from afar and never get hit. Agility, Spirit, and Intellegence are the MAIN Hunter Stats. DO NOT LEARN HAND TO HAND COMBAT AS A HUNTER. It won't work, I've tried it.
You'll want some high damage dealing weapons incase the pet dies. Either two-handed weapons or dual-weild. It is up to you.