It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 drabbles of luuurve 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

not really. i just couldn't think of another title. don't kill me ok? ;-;

so, i told myself i wasn't going to start working on a certain sumsum until i got a satisfactory amount of character art. it's taking a while, i'm getting a bit restless, and i figured i needed some practice before i started drilling out whole chapters. i'm writing tiny little stories about my characters to hold me over until i'm rich on subeta and can afford any art i want and i'll be the king of the world and and and you get the point. these drabbles (i know most if not all of them will not be under 100 words, but i like the word drabble!) can also provide a deeper understanding of one of my characters or answer certain questions about them, i guess..

the setting of the story usually will not be the same as the actual novel's. i think portraying them in a place more natural for them to spend their time in fulfills the two things listed above better than somewhere totally new and rather..scary.

a short bio of the character will be listed under the first drabble focused on them. criticism is not encouraged but if there's something you really think shouldn't be there or was written incorrectly, go ahead and point it out.

i need your help, guys! keep me motivated! wouldn't it suck if the following story was the only one ever posted on this thread?

so, without further ado, i present my first drabble~

---

"Shrugging her bolero off her shoulders, she scans over dozens of CDs spread out on the carpet, each of which earned its placement through a carefully conducted examination of how many scratches decorated its back and how long ago she purchased it. Which one will she listen to first?

She finishes stripping down to her underclothes and sinks to her knees. Eyeing her collection more thoroughly now that she is undressed, her fingers gently brush away traces of dirt and her index fingernail digs into corners of album titles elevated slightly above the CD's surface. Thoughts race at the speed of light in her mind, deep-blue entries take the lead. She feels a sudden wave of calm as they rush past the finish line. Pristine tranquility wraps ribbons around her waist and legs and soothingly washes away remains of her day's conflicts.

Now she knows.

She picks up a CD, puts it in her stereo and jabs the play button in one swift yet relaxed movement. Digital notes ebb into the silence, power chords explode in mid air, causing furniture to shake with every powerful beat and sending glorious shivers of euphoria up her spine. Music, sweet music.

Charmy turns up the volume to an ear shattering tone and jams to the robot rock."

---

charmy is the mother of an infant by the name of nathan. she is also a smoker.
she is calm, laid-back and doesn't give a rats about the world rushing around her. people only need to be a few feet away from her for their muscles to ease and stress to wither. she takes everything slowly, one step at a time.
charmy loves music and fashion. 'robot rock' is from the song of the same name by daft punk, the kind of stuff I think she'd listen to. her hair is red like strawberries and her skin is tanned after many sunny days spent hanging around outside.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

FIRST POST!

LOL, wow Valentine! Although I don't think I learned anything REALLY in your short story about the character, the character bio cleaned it up nicely. My Name's nathan! That was cool.

Anyway, I think the short story really shows your kind of writing style, and it's shweet! You're very talented, and I'd love to read more of your work or something of the sort, yeah? Good luck, and I can't wait to read more.

PS: What's this story going to be about? Or is that disclosed?

Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

thanks <3

i'd like to keep the plot of the novel secret, though a few members here know about it. let's just hope i can generate enough cash flow to buy art faster.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Valentine wrote:
thanks <3

i'd like to keep the plot of the novel secret, though a few members here know about it. let's just hope i can generate enough cash flow to buy art faster.

Look, I'm not sure if this is your way of creating characters, but if you read some things I've said in the writing tips and good fic guide or whatever, I think it'll help to create an info sheet with all of your characters background, info, quirks, and everything in it. You could even put your art and short stories in there. I'm sure it'll be helpful. That's what I do, and those things are lifesavers sometimes, dude.

And if you read any of my work (in my Sig or elsewhere) you'll see that I am really in depth with everything I do, expecially creating my own world. OR at least now a days I am. An older story of mine might tell otherwise, but that's long gone by now. Probably deep in the pages of FF.

So, anyways, I'm sure something of that sort could help you keep organized and the like. I could send you one of mine sometime if you would like an example (though after I start writing I don't use them as much and they tend to become "old" and show the changes from begining to end.) I hope this was helpful...

Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

oh, i create character profiles, but none of my characters at the moment have very complex backgrounds. i'm still working on them, i have all the time in the world to do it.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

weee, another one! it took me a while because i've been sick.

" The sleepwalker, with golden locks tied back, bare save for his shorts, rises from a senile dream. Crawling out from the comfort of a lone sheet, his skin glows white against watchful shadows lurking in corners and behind his windows. He's at it again, they groan, seeping out from safe territory, masking his face tiredly for the third night in a row.

He staggers, bumping into walls and doors. Sugary aromas flow from what he thinks is downstairs as he reaches the hall, at first drifting teasingly, then hanging, suspended in the air, waiting for the sleepwalker to take notice of their standstill. He snorts, causing the scents to jump, and, yawning, begins to journey towards his sweet haven.

He is caught by a set of pasty limbs shooting out from silent midnight, fiercely yanking his shoulders, awakening him. What do you think you're doing? The sleepwalker, tuckered out, now longing for his bed, recognizes his impatient brother.

I don't know. Was I sleepwalking again?

Probably. After the cookies, I bet. Well, too bad, none for you. They're for Maëlle. The scraggly girl. Now go to bed, hee-dee-aw-kee.

Can't I have just one?

Move it or I'm telling dad!"

Hideaki is my second favorite character. Though he is highly intelligent, he usually doesn't show it, acting childish and being yelled at by practically everyone. As you can tell, he is a sleepwalker and often gets himself into trouble by doing so.
He has a brother, who at the moment is nameless. His ref hasn't been uploaded yet.

(btw rofl japanese characters ;/)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Seriously Dude, These "" were invented for a reason. The only beef I got with this story is that, and it's a big one.

Otherwise, again you mesmorize me with your big, intericate words and thick, gracefull discriptions and I don't even think I picked up an actual story, but who cares! It's good, and again we're waiting on the book.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

lol ;p

i don't think i'll be writing in the same style when i start the novel..this is kind of new to me. the lack of "s was influenced by several authors who drop them when describing a very short snippet of their story with little dialogue. it was used in one of my favorite books, 'wait for me' by an na, but i don't have the book on me anymore and can't provide an example.

you think i have a large vocabulary? i never thought so. most of the 'complicated' or 'big' words i use in my writing were picked up from books i've read. i remember being obsessed with the word 'saunter', i still overuse it today.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Read my style of writing, then read yours. Compared to mine, you are ellaborate (and literate). Though, minds hard to tell because I have many things posted here and many different writing styles. Hmm...

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

hooooolly hell, it's been almost a month since i've written one of my drabbles. i blame school.

"Smile, smile, smile. She practices in front of her mirror. Lips zipped - no, mashed together - hidden teeth clenched with brute force, amazing they haven't cracked into tiny bits. It looks convincing enough. She'd just have swiftly slurp it up if blood happens to trail down the corners of her mouth. Crimson is rather noticeable against white.

She attempts to run a hand through bundles of snow, her fingers end up ensnared. Yanking, wincing with pain, she rips them free, rubbing her head with the back of her palm. Glancing to a comb in a basket of bobby pins and accessories, she stifles an amused chuckle at its teeth, bare of strands, coated with a fine layer of dust.
She walks to the container and fishes for ponytail holders, pulling out orange and pink. She grabs a tuft of hair on each side, wraps a band around them, then brushes her fringe out of her eyes. There, she's ready. But her shirt...oh well, she hasn't done her laundry yet.

Emily saunters outside, sits on a bench, worn with use, and waits for her cab to swerve off the corner, speeding down the street in anxious haste. An important speech to make today..something about increasing abuse rates? Or was it that inadequate investigation on the string of child murders? Maybe she should go back inside.
"

meh, i'm not very proud of this one, it's rushed. or maybe i was just tired when i wrote it. but, y'know, practice makes perfect, i'll learn from mistakes.

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I've always loved your writing ability. I think it's really unique.

I liked the first paragraph of your last post, as sick-minded as it was. :P

Smile, smile, smile!

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

you sadden me, I barely understand it and no character bio at the end? You're getting sloppy, mate. JK!!!! You're tired, just remember to add that in or edit it in or something. Otherwise it was good and short (unlike my book. Hmm... need to post new chapter...)

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]