It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 The State of the Community and Power Abuse 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh really what about the time you banned me for no reason remember this "Pick a number between 7 to 14'. I said 9 and I was banned for 9 days and Today I did not evade my ban as I had went on and boom I was on #Psypoke I do not know how I got there as I shouldn't. The reason why I swore was because that pop_pop guy sent me a spammish PM which had made me upset and I apologize for that. And you are the one treating me like garbage just because your a mod doesn't mean you can treat me like this. and you rote that NO ONE LIKED ME oh really? I have friends in real life and here on psypoke like Garabato,Swampzard,and Auzzie so I don't know what you are talking about. And you and Krisp act in this manor to me all the time to me. Your usually are quiet but Krisp has a mouth that just never shuts up. And how am I angry that one last PM you got from me my older brother did that not me. Oh and the whole Homsexual thing that was my Cousin not me.

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:37 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Oh really what about the time you banned me for no reason remember this "Pick a number between 7 to 14'. I said 9 and I was banned for 9 days

Yes. That was for the bashing me on the forums. I decided you would be banned for at least a week, but let you pick how long!

Pokemaniac wrote:
and Today I did not evade my ban as I had went on and boom I was on #Psypoke I do not know how I got there as I shouldn't.

Therefore, you evaded your ban.

Pokemaniac wrote:
And you are the one treating me like garbage just because your a mod doesn't mean you can treat me like this.

I'm not using my role as a mod, however, to treat you like garbage. I just don't like you as a person. Therefore, it's not power abuse, so I don't know why you're taking your anger in, out of all the places, this thread.

Pokemaniac wrote:
and you rote that NO ONE LIKED ME oh really? I have friends in real life and here on psypoke like Garabato,Swampzard,and Auzzie so I don't know what you are talking about.

I was referring to psypoke staff. Posts like these are why you're not very liked between us.

Pokemaniac wrote:
And how am I angry that one last PM you got from me my older brother did that not me. Oh and the whole *** thing that was my Cousin not me.

We aren't responsible for the actions of others posing as yourself. I'm not going to take sympathy for that.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:48 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I was hoping that this thread would be brought back up, and I wanted to pm a mod about garabato's thing, but I'm not allowed to pm a mod.

Why?

I have sources that say that every time I pm a mod here on psypoke, my akill is doubled. Is that really right? Should the chats and the forums really intertwine that much?

And, I don't know if this has been brought up recently, but what happened to a bit of courtesy? Like pm warnings?
1.) When I see a sig, I usually pm the person. Why? Because if I don't, a mod doing there job will edit it, and it sort of looks bad when it reads "Please edit your sig to conform to forum rules", like a shame rank. What I am asking for is a bit of courtesy with that - a pm with a warning.

2.) (Less often) Actual rank change - When you put someone on probation, don't tell them an hour before the rank change "You are on thin ice, because you backseat mod". I believe that the mods should tell offenders "You are on thin ice - you have a 1 week trial period for you to clean up your act". And, when the offender asks for examples, you shouldn't post in that response "Well, after seeing how much you backseat mod, here is your probation".

Thats it for now.

Before anyone starts flooding my inbox or posting in this thread, yes, all three have happened to me.
Edit: I do appreciate the fact, though, that some mods do straighten out misunderstandings. And they do it nicely. Sometimes, though, mods just make the situation worse.

Last edited by Peanut-Lover on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well that is good for that you and the others don't like me. I am not taking my anger on this thread I just saw the BAN ME PLEASE so I had assumed that a mod did it. Well Krisp had lifted my ban off early then. And when did I bash you here on the Forums? I ignored you whole time. Didn't think so.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I was hoping that this thread would be brought back up, and I wanted to pm a mod about garabato's thing, but I'm not allowed to pm a mod.

Why?

I have sources that say that every time I pm a mod here on psypoke, my akill is doubled. Is that really right? Should the chats and the forums really intertwine that much?

Hah. That was a joke. :P

Peanut-Lover wrote:
1.) When I see a sig, I usually pm the person. Why? Because if I don't, a mod doing there job will edit it, and it sort of looks bad when it reads "Please edit your sig to conform to forum rules", like a shame rank. What I am asking for is a bit of courtesy with that - a pm with a warning.

We've given several, several warnings. However, people do not listen. We've tried many times, believe me, and people simply disregard them. The announcement posting the signature rules is warning enough.

Peanut-Lover wrote:
2.) (Less often) Actual rank change - When you put someone on probation, don't tell them an hour before the rank change "You are on thin ice, because you backseat mod". I believe that the mods should tell offenders "You are on thin ice - you have a 1 week trial period for you to clean up your act". And, when the offender asks for examples, you shouldn't post in that response "Well, after seeing how much you backseat mod, here is your probation".

Each staff member has different ways of dealing with rule offenders. By bugging the mods, you fuel their intolerance further. By constantly questioning and criticising the mods' ways of doing things on this site, how do you think you're going to end up? Do you think it makes you look better? It's really insulting when all people do is bash the way things are run. We do this thing as volunteers, and when all we get is crap, it's a slap in the face.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

But don't you guys sometimes make fun of us too? Krisp does it to me about how get to and too mixed up. And then calls me names.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Well Krisp had lifted my ban off early then.

Code:
16:29 -!- Guest122 has joined #psypoke
16:29 -!- Guest122 is now known as Pokemaniac
16:45 -!- Krisp has joined #psypoke
16:45 <Krisp> I has an ID :o
16:45 <Krisp> `list
16:45 <Krisp> er
16:45 <Krisp> `listban
16:45 <Krisp> Pokemaniac: you're still banned
16:46 <Krisp> for another 22 days
16:46 <Krisp> and 23 hours
16:48 <Krisp> so...
16:48 <Krisp> `kick Pokemaniac see you in 22 days
16:48 -!- Pokemaniac was kicked from #psypoke by ChanServ [[Krisp] see you in 22 days]

Then, moments after..

Code:
16:50 -!- Pokemaniac has joined #psypoke
16:50 -!- Pokemaniac has left #psypoke

Pokemaniac wrote:
And when did I bash you here on the Forums? I ignored you whole time. Didn't think so.

I had been too harsh on Gnaaye, who had backseat modded. You, garabato, and Whisper all took his side and insulted me. The posts were deleted and cleaned up after the ordeal.

Pokemaniac wrote:
But don't you guys sometimes make fun of us too? Krisp does it to me about how get to and too mixed up. And then calls me names.

Sure. However, we don't say, "well I'm a mod so I can insult you." We insult you as normal people. We don't use our power as a way to insult you, which is why I'm curious as to why you're bringing this up.

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Last edited by Swift on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:15 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I see nfield and co have dealt with this situation admirably, but I thought I'll just add a couple of my thoughts.

Firstly, we (being the Psypoke Staff) certainly don't view signature edits and Probation as "shame ranks". These things will only be shame ranks if people actually look down on affected members. In any case, I believe ample warning is always given before someone is put on probation, that is for minor offences. It used be to worse in the past, whereby the members are banned immediately. Probation was introduced to give people chances instead of receiving immediate bans, so I think the system is being quite fair already.

The word filter is "mechanical". This means that it is automatically activated by a script on the forums and is not actively controlled by any of the staff members. As such, some word edits are non-intentional and are implemented solely by the word filter. For instance, I had the word "specia lists" (minus the space) filtered out before too =p

Lastly, regarding the use of your account by other people: We certainly do not care if it is your brother, father, mother, aunt, or pet dog who broke rules while using your account. As long as a wrong is committed with your account, you will be held responsible. As such, I urge everyone to be careful with whom you give permission to use your account. Remember, it is your own responsibility to safeguard your own account.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:22 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Let me stress that I'm not blaming either the staff nor the community. I just think there could be less back-stabbing and accusing, and more communication. We're still human beings on this forum

Yes in retrospect, what I said was sort of back-stabbing/accusing, and saying that mods are doing a horrible job.

And, that wasn't a funny joke. It was sort of mean. I limited my pms, even fearing to pm sN0w about Team Hydro, becauser of that. I know that when my sig was huge, I wasn't given a single pm warning. (Yes, I admit, I failed to adhere to the rules of "not stretching on 1024x768 monitor, but IO should have received one warning).

nfield wrote:
Each staff member has different ways of dealing with rule offenders. By bugging the mods, you fuel their intolerance further. By constantly questioning and criticising the mods' ways of doing things on this site, how do you think you're going to end up? Do you think it makes you look better? It's really insulting when all people do is bash the way things are run. We do this thing as volunteers, and when all we get is crap, it's a slap in the face.

And the admins wonder why we as members don't pm the mods to straighten things out. Again, (getting back to the pm thing) I couldn't even ask Amphy or TK about whether the intertwine was even legal. Sure, Amphy said that it would be kept a sort-of-secret, but still.

I don't mean to bash and whatnot, I sometimes don't see the thin line between stuff.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:22 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Actually, I think what was meant by the akill issue was that whenever you PM a mod regarding that issue, you will receive an extended akill. I don't think anyone is going to fault you for PM-ing me, much less for PM-ing me about Team Hydro issues.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:32 pm
PROBATION
PROBATION

Okay everyone, listen up! I am going to tell you a story about why Pokemaniac is acting so rebellious and angry and going against the man.

So, a couple months ago, Pokemaniac came into the chats, and he was chatting. Then he starts bashing homose<b></b>xuality. Literally bashing it. Now, I'm bise<b></b>xual, and it really grinds my gears when someone bashes homos<b></b>exuality, because that, in turn, bashes me. So I banned him for thirty days, but I was kind and unbanned him early.

Flash forward to about a month or so ago. Pokemaniac went to a topic and started bashing me again. I was ruder than I should have been to a user, and I apologised publicly. He, however, got into affairs that were not his, and started using my fault to insult me. This, again, I will not tolerate, and therefore I banned him. Again, I was kind and unbanned him early.

Flash forward to eight days ago. He swore in the chats, which he should have known was against the rules. Krisp banned him for thirty days. Today, he evaded that ban. He evaded the ban twice, even AFTER he KNEW that he was still banned. This is not only breaking #psypoke's rules, but also DarkMyst rules. For that, I banned him for an additional fifty days from #psypoke, and added a network ban -- not being able to connect to IRC -- for fourteen days.

About five minutes later, I received this nasty PM from Pokemaniac, with the subject of "Enough is Enough!!!!":

Pokemaniac wrote:
Ok what did I ever do to you I never bothered you or anything like that but ban me from Darkmyst?! I mean what is your problem I never did anything to bother you. I will be talking to the Admins about this because this is mean and unacceptable.

Now, let's analyse this. First of all, it was him who broke the rules here, not me. Secondly, by bashing homose<b></b>xuality those two months ago, I've learned to keep my eye on Pokemaniac, as I know that his mouth tends to wander without his brain, which I'm relatively sure he has somewhere. Finally, it is the mod's role to enforce the rules -- not the admins. The admins step in when there is something a mod cannot do. However, I was able to handle the situation very quickly and easily.

Finally, this is not up for discussion. Pokemaniac knew he was breaking the rules, and I played judge, jury, and executioner. "You do the crime, you pay the time."

This is not a matter of power abuse what-so-ever, as I used the "power" to enforce official Psypoke and DarkMyst rules. If people do not agree with Psypoke rules, such as JameJame and Flarey, then they are more than welcome to leave. You are a guest to the admins' forums and chats; therefore, if you disagree with what rules they've instated, then you have two options: suck it up and deal with them; or leave.

Dude have you ever noticed how it's called a PRIVATE message because sometimes the sender DOESNT want it to be read in front of everyone, he would've started a topic if he wanted that! This is how all these retard fights start. I have a suggestion for all admins and mods and whatever:lock the forums for 1 or 2 days to let people put everything back into perspective, then reopen and we'll be at least somewhat better than what we are now.

My Larvitar av will evolve with my posts! Next benchmark: 150!

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Just because it is called a private message means in no way that it must remain private. In fact, the reason it is called a private message is to have a private conversation. "Private" does not necessarily mean "secret." In this case, it is referred to a small or inclusive group. Nowhere on these forums does it state I must keep these messages secret.

Furthermore, this is not a fight. We are clearing up an issue that has been going on for a few months. You are not a part of it; therefore, I am wondering why you are haranguing us. You have yet to make a contributing post to this thread. To be honest, you haven't really made any contributing posts to these forums. These are the reasons that the admins have gone to say the forums would be better off closed indefinitely.

Is this your goal? To completely close the forums? I, along with several other moderators, have been working nonstop to get certain forums in better shape (Activities and Competitions, Slateport Market, the chats), so that Psypoke will last as long as it can without sanity completely flying out of the window.

So please make sure to read what you are about to post before actually clicking submit. You should ask yourself two questions: "does this involve me," and "will I make an idiot out of myself by clicking submit."

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:43 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

2.) (Less often) Actual rank change - When you put someone on probation, don't tell them an hour before the rank change "You are on thin ice, because you backseat mod". I believe that the mods should tell offenders "You are on thin ice - you have a 1 week trial period for you to clean up your act".

Probation IS that trial period. If you do not change your actions during the Probation period, then you will be given a full ban.

I would also like to point out how lenient Psypoke's Moderators are. I was once part of a forum dedicated to Wizards of the Coast's card game MLB Showdown. I was a productive and rule-obeying member, until one day I created a thread about which forum members posted the most. Talking about post counts was strictly against the rules, and for this offense, I recieved a full ban, with no explanation. Keep that in mind when you're put on PROBATION for dozens of incidents of spam and other broken rules.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I would also like to point out how lenient Psypoke's Moderators are. I was once part of a forum dedicated to Wizards of the Coast's card game MLB Showdown. I was a productive and rule-obeying member, until one day I created a thread about which forum members posted the most. Talking about post counts was strictly against the rules, and for this offense, I recieved a full ban, with no explanation. Keep that in mind when you're put on PROBATION for dozens of incidents of spam and other broken rules.

Adding to that:

One of the forums I visit has sig limits at 500x100, and if you go even ONE pixel over that your sig gets deleted. We at least give you some leeway.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

God, I thought this thread had died along with the "OMG, PKMN YELLOE CAME OUT!!!!1!" thread.

I can't really see the whole problem. The amount of members we have here and potential spammers means that the mods have to be strict (I'm not saying too strict, just strict.) There are many new forums that start off without the authoratative figure/s to set the example, and you end up with a spammy forum.

Ask yourself this question:

If the mods did what you all wanted and were overly and sickeningly nice, would the forum be a better place?

I don't think so. Imagine if you had mucked up, say you read a topic where someone had severely necromanced. The hypothetical moderator might have put "This is called Necromancing, this is against the rules, but it doesn't really matter, you are new, and this topic could do with a refresh. Good Job!" That will not make you, the reader of that post, think that necromancing was a bad thing, and maybe do it in the future, with that mod's message firm in mind, as if giving you safe passage.

The mods are fine here, in my opinion. I have had a couple of issues where I have thought that some moderators are rude, but that is merely us having a mutual dislike, as opposed to the mod using their powers in the wrong way. I value some moderator's opinion more than I do some others, but equally, there are some non-mods that in my opinion have crap ideas. But that has nothing to do with the label of mod, that is just their beliefs as a person. If a moderator uses their powers to ovveride someone else's belief, that is wrong, but I haven't seen that here at Psypoke.

Yeah, sorry I have rambled. I did want to point out that the BAN ME PLEASE thing confused me, and I always thought it was a moderator being rude and editing people's post without saying so. But now that I know it is an automatic thing (like when I was kicked off the chats for apparently no reason, and I sulked :P) I think it is okay, and something to laugh at, rather than go and revive a topic for.

That's my two pence and a shilling.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I agree with Wolf; it's the way we say things that makes things important or not...I remember one time when I was still a noob and I necromancied (sp?) in a thread that was way old, and one of the old mods (whose name I cant remember, and if I did I would pruodly say it) told me 'be careful with old threads, if they are unactive, it is not a smart thing to post in them, only if its really important' and you know what it worked, and I've been trying to put some space between necromancying (sp?) and me. But now with the new mods all we hear is exactly what Wolf is saying. I believe these mods are getting from bad to worse, but y'know, it's something we CAN fix; they just have to be a bit more strict, and not really bad but just enough to get to their central memory system and let them know that somthings are good, but some aren't...

I remember the time when Psypoke was a better and organized community in which we could all have fun. Now it's a webpage full of spamfesting 'members' (if that's what they should be called) that make a big deal out of a little thing. I have to disagree with the first post in saying below 15 years old...I joined psypoke when I was 12 or 13, and y'know, in someway or another it made me grow up, or should I say mature, 'cause it taught me how to act like a mature person, a man who is respectful, and I thank the great members of this community, and just this one because it was perfect, like heaven, like paradise. No spam, no problems, no immature members. It's all about how you SEEM to be on the inside, not how old you really are.

I believe that we must be who we want to be, not how others want us to, there is no saying for god in this, no others, it's ours, and only ours. I myself disaprove that Pokemaniac was bashing on gayz (as nfield demonstrates on his posts). I, myself like nfield, fell 'different' towards girls, and yes, I'm gay, and I feel insulted when people insilt gay prople. It's how we want to be, and it's none of your business to meddle with our lives. So avoid comments that might insult others, and I believe that nfield handled the problem very diplomatically by trying to fix things with pokemaniac, which obviously didn't work out.

We should all grow up and accept each other as of who we are. But y'know this is the real world, and if you think you suffer, let me remind you that there is always someone who suffers more than you do! Growing up is horrible, but growing gay, how can i even begin to explian it...It's terrible, it's horiible, but others must accept you for who you are, but most important, to accept yourself, and if you accept yourself for who you are, girl, boy, gay or straight, you begin to appreciate other people more and more, you understand them, but you know, it's gonna take some time before you actually begin to grow up, so you might as well wait for the time to come, if it dies come, cause it might never get to you, and you know, in the end, it's like racism...We must begin to nderstand that none of us is perfect, and none of us are made to fit with people's description of how they want us to be...

I coincide with previous comments that the admins should clean up the forums and admit the members who are worth of being here, and also the ones who can be trusted and may be given another chance...

This is my opinion, it won't help very much but it's a different point of view from a 'different' kind of person, as you may say. I gave a drop of water to this sizzling desert of problems in this post, but it was worth it...

Thank you for reading this, and thank you if you feel what I feel in this post. We must infect each other with correct atitudes(sp?) and then we shalll finally fix our physical problems and join in spiritual harmony.

Wow, so much feeling out of my body, my thoughts were expressed and I feel relieved. Drama, drama, drama... :mrgreen:

edit: i edited my post because there was *** alover the place, im not trying to say it in any bad way, I just wanted to show people what I meant...

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:07 am
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

omg I leave for 3 days and what has happened?

First of all, Pokemaniac, READ WHAT I HAVE POSTED. I said to come to me if you would like to complain about mod powers. You've deliberately posted in here, made a huge drama queen scene, and caused a lot of unecessary commotion. Yes I see you have PMed me, but you have not waited for my reply and gone and posted here, in public, instead.
Let me tell you a little legal story. If you find your company is doing illegal deals, it is your responsiblity to talk to management first. You are not permitted to tell authorities or media. Doing so could land you in legal trouble. You may only contact the media once you have told company management and management has refused to do anything about it. The same rules apply here.

Secondly you have the completely wrong idea! You've presumed that a mod has edited Garabato's post, and FURTHER it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! If Garabato has a problem, HE should be the one contacting me, AND NOT YOU. And on top of that, do you even understand the extent of spam bots that the forum has been getting? No? Because all the mods have been deleting all those posts? We've gone through extreme lengths to maintain the integrity of the forums because I sure as hell wouldn't want to deal with some soccer mom who's angelic little Timmy clicked on a link from our forum to some Via<b></b>gra site. And you're being extremely selfish about this because I'm just a 20 year old University student with no money to fund a lawsuit.

Quote:
Oh no I Care because this isn't right as I am sick of mod Power Abuse as now nobody can say 'oh it doesn't exist' crap they throw on us.

Thirdly, incase you STILL can't read, this post is about TRYING TO RESOLVE MOD ABUSE BECAUSE I SAID IT BLOODY EXISTED. WHERE THE HELL DID I SAY IT DIDN'T EXIST? If you are going to continue the way you are going, this problem will REOCCUR and it will not get solved.

Quote:

omg, do you know why? When we banned you from #Psypoke YOU CONTINUALLY HARRASSED THE MODERATORS TILL NO END TO UNBAN YOU. DO YOU KNOW HOW FREAKING ANNOYING THAT IS? A BAN IS A FREAKING BAN. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID WRONG. GET OVER IT. PMMING SOMEONE A BILLION TIMES IS NOT GOING TO FIX IT.

Quote:
And, I don't know if this has been brought up recently, but what happened to a bit of courtesy? Like pm warnings?

I'm sorry but if users don't have the courtesy to read the rules, then I don't think we should be showing the courtesy of going through the hassle of PMming them. Let it be noted that many other forums don't even edit signatures as a warning, they simply ban without hestitation.

Quote:

Probation itself IS A FREAKING WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET BANNED IF YOU DON'T CHANGE YOUR ACTIONS. What the hell is the point of having a warning FOR a warning?

If you can't tell from the tone of this post, I'm extremely pissed off at how you users have decided to go about this. This is exactly why I made the initial post. I said to come and talk to me first, and instead you have gone and posted here. I agree completely with what the moderators have said in this post and I believe that they have handled this situation in a manner similar to how I would have handled it.

I am now locking this topic, because it appears that some people still haven't read the first post, and are still not contacting me FIRST about the issues I have outlined. Such posts simply reinforce the current state of the community. Any posts in open forums will be deleted without warning.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:21 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4