It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:17 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Topic Approval System 
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

As many of you know, General Discussion has started a new topic approval system. This system will prevent spam from our forums, and ensure that all of our discussions are E10+ rated, intelligent, and enjoyable for all of our forum members.

Within the next month or so, all of the boards here at Psypoke will be changing to the thread approval system. The rules will be enforced for all users, and failure to follow the topic approval system will first result in probation, and then a forum ban.

Because this is a major forum change, I'm sure many of you have voices about it. Please discuss your issues here (and only here). Your posts could possibly change our decision of how to run this system; however, we will NOT be getting rid of this idea, as we have planned this for a LONG time.

The following are posts about the new system:

garabato wrote:

I see the rule but I see no justification, how do you expect us to follow the rules when you dont say the reason???....Not all of us are mindless puppets that just obey things.

I know that you are the owners of the site and everything but don't you people think this is just too much? Hello there is something called free speech, we should be able to say anything as long as is not offensive/agresive.

Anyway I know my comments are just going to be ignored and I will be teased or something, so I want to propouse somethig like a "counterpart" to the rule, somethig like this:

" Effective tomorrow, 1 April 2007, all new rules in psypoke must be approved by the comunity before they are allowed to be made. Please follow the approval submission guidelines below:

Name of the rule:
Reason of the rule:
How this rule would contribute to General Discussion forums:

Please wait for the comunity to approve your submitted thread by making a three days poll ; and then you may proceed to make your rule. If you do not wait for at least ten votes of approval, your rule WONT be followed. Thank you for your cooperation.

What do you think?

nfield wrote:
garabato wrote:
I know that you are the owners of the site and everything but don't you people think this is just too much? Hello there is something called free speech, we should be able to say anything as long as is not offensive/agresive.

There is something called free speech; however, your government's bill of rights (or whatever you have in Columbia) don't apply on the internet.

garabato wrote:
...so I want to propouse somethig like a "counterpart" to the rule, somethig like this:

" Effective tomorrow, 1 April 2007, all new rules in psypoke must be approved by the comunity before they are allowed to be made. Please follow the approval submission guidelines below:

Name of the rule:
Reason of the rule:
How this rule would contribute to General Discussion forums:

Please wait for the comunity to approve your submitted thread by making a three days poll ; and then you may proceed to make your rule. If you do not wait for at least ten votes of approval, your rule WONT be followed. Thank you for your cooperation.

What do you think?

Sure, if it the thread gets approved. Within the next..month or so, all of our forums will be following the "thread approval" system. General Discussion is the first of the forums to start this system, as it is the busiest.

I'll shortly split these posts to form a new discussion about the new rules, if it means that much to you.

Blackwind wrote:
nfield wrote:
garabato wrote:

There is something called free speech; however, your government's bill of rights (or whatever you have in Columbia) don't apply on the internet.

I was hoping it would, seeing as the right of free speech also exists in Portugal. Shame, really.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:14 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I personally think it's a good idea and was wondering about stuff like that earlier (only a few hours before it was enforced...). Will this apply for the Team threads, too? Or will that be up to the Team Leader?

What about for the Shop Approval thread? As far as I can remember, you needn't apply if you have more than 50 (or 100... I forget) posts. Will this become more strict, or has Slateport Market cleaned up enough?

Lastly (and I got this idea from Gaia online although I haven't seen that place in ages) why not have a board with no topic approval? That way people who want to have really informal discussions still have a place to talk, and those who want general discussions, but not stupid or spam-filled, could go to the current General Discussion. I guess it'd be kind of a dumb idea... And it might turn into a Post Count +1 area of the site.

Edit (Actually, I have more to say).

The Pokemon boards are also really littered. Most of the threads there only have a few posts, and there should (if there's not already) be a general Question and Answers thread (stickied) because a lot of the threads seem to be "I'm having trouble ____________."

The only thing I have against this is the fact that it might be intimidating for new members joining. The rules are really strict and that scares newcomers.

Lastly... I think I remember why we went from PG13 to E10+.
If I remember correctly, I tried to swear in #psypoke and got yelled at, and then when I showed you guys swearing was generally allowed in PG13 movies, you switched it to E10+.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I personally disagree with it and agree with it. I think its a bit big to set the whole forums to this within a couple of days. I think you should wait to see how it goes the general board before enforcing it on all of Psypoke because this may make people mad and then traffic will die down. But I do like the idea because there are some topics that are a bit. . . I support ya'll either way.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:50 pm
Illiterate
Illiterate

Free speech is a universal right, but I see your point, maybe tomorrow we could ask the church to censorate books and replyes like in the middle age

Quote:
and ensure that all of our discussions are E10+ rated, intelligent, and enjoyable for all of our forum members.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, thats an utopy, you know that most of the spam is in replyes, not in topics itself; besides having to ask for permission removes the spontaneity of it. The intelligence of a forum is not based on the rules, its about the members.

In nomine....Diabulus et...Belial, Satan, Astharoth, Lucifer et Yahve.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Garabato what you don't understand is... The internet isn't like the real world. Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. GET OVER IT.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea. Everywhere I look there is a new topic popping up that is filled with replies like "i agree" or "lol taht is troo" And what Garabato said about the intelligence of a forum being in its members... He's proven nfield's point ¬_¬

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:56 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

To be perfectly honest, we were considering all posts to be approved by moderators; however, we decided that was too harsh, and limited it to threads.

I'm very glad that this is being taken better than the signature rules. Hopefully the signatures will be eliminated all together within this time period as well. Operation "More Post, Less Junk" is well underway. :)

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I agreed with the moderating of the new topics... But... Eliminating signatures?! I think this is going a little far... Signatures are a form of expression here on Psypoke. It's a chance to show off the creativity of a few talented people on Psypoke, and a lot of shops depend on signatures. With the abolition of signatures, Slateport Market will die down. Without Slateport Market, the only use of Psybucks will be to run competitions where you give them to someone else!

I've lost my signature privileges and I don't like it one bit... I tell you now that this will not be well received among the community. Making the rules a little more strict -- limiting it to ONE trainer card and 150 pixels, say... But eliminating them completely?

I'll support the moderators and admins in whatever they do... But I think a lot of people will be very upset with this idea.

Oh, and Kasey says she doesn't like it one bit.

One last thing. Could someone please bother to reply to my concerns, in my earlier post as well as this one?

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:38 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

You joined these forums to chat about PkMn, not to flood the server with tens upon tens of images that we are forced to see.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:45 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Then the General Discussion and all other non-Pokemon related forums should be deleted, no?

nfield, they're signatures. If they abuse them, then take away THAT PERSON'S privilege, not the forum's. And don't give me **** about your first post in this thread.

I understand your want to make the forums more...civilized, but your ways of doing them make me sick. God, we need our threads to be approved? And you're planning to eliminate signatures? What is this, juvenile detention?

And also, think about when DP comes out and more members join. You think they're going to bother to read the rules? No, they most likely aren't, that is, unless you ban members who don't, and I wouldn't be surprised if you did.

You're more terrible than I thought you were, nfield. I've got to listen to all this **** about how the forum is turning into Serebii while I'm away for Lent. And I sure as hell don't like it. Do you think other members of Psypoke do? How do you think they'll feel when signatures are gone? When their thread gets rejected because it's not literate in your terms? Yeah I bet they'll feel ****. All because a few of the admins and you didn't favor their feelings over your own standards.

Yeah I bet I'm overreacting, but I'd like to say what I feel before Psypoke **** crumbles to the ground about a year from now.

You're horrid, nfield.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Then the General Discussion and all other non-Pokemon related forums should be deleted, no?

nfield, they're signatures. If they abuse them, then take away THAT PERSON'S privilege, not the forum's. And don't give me **** about your first post in this thread.

I understand your want to make the forums more...civilized, but your ways of doing them make me sick. God, we need our threads to be approved? And you're planning to eliminate signatures? What is this, juvenile detention?

And also, think about when DP comes out and more members join. You think they're going to bother to read the rules? No, they most likely aren't, that is, unless you ban members who don't, and I wouldn't be surprised if you did.

You're more terrible than I thought you were, nfield. I've got to listen to all this **** about how the forum is turning into Serebii while I'm away for Lent. And I sure as hell don't like it. Do you think other members of Psypoke do? How do you think they'll feel when signatures are gone? When their thread gets rejected because it's not literate in your terms? Yeah I bet they'll feel ****. All because a few of the admins and you didn't favor their feelings over your own standards.

Yeah I bet I'm overreacting, but I'd like to say what I feel before Psypoke **** crumbles to the ground about a year from now.

You're horrid, nfield.

I disagree.

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

You're horrid, nfield.

That's nice, dear.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, this is too harsh. We are here to discuss about Pokemon. Or at least, I AM here to discuss about Pokemon.

I agree that this forum's intelligence quota is going down and down, but there is nothing we can do about it.

Limiting sigs? 1 TC per person? That is understandable but taking WHOLE forums' privledges? That IS strict.

Ban me if you want, but this "Thread Approval" crap is way too strict. Do I have to wait for a mod to sign up to post a thread? If I post a thread without getting approved, will ya' PUT ME ON PROBATION? I haven't seen such a stupid idea.

I know forums are getting filled with nubz and spam, but there is nothing you can do about it. This forum is a POKEMON forum guys, POKEMON. This game attracts 8-years-olds and you can do a huge ****'all about it.

If you go on like this, I am sure more and more clever members will leave.

Here are my two cents.

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:59 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

This is the dumbest thing I saw anyone type!!
I bet that if you banned someone for posting a topic without permission, they'll go "Thank you for banning us from this ****, **** forum!
Oh, and one last thing: *throws water balloon at nfield*

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:13 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The law doesn't hault when it comes to the internet. Free speech is still a guideline. But it isnt a 100% right so to say. But NField is letting us have our opinions to sway bits of the new change, so I think that's fantastic, much better than the new Topic Approval threads being shoved into boards with no notice.

-----
On the signature note quickly, some guidelines are fine, I think it's good to have guidelines. But if you banned signatures I don't think it'd look very nice. Thats my opinion though.
-----

Back to approving topics.

Trial the General Discussion, then after a week/fortnight, put the Topic Approval thing in whichever boards need it.

For example, Music Discussion, doesn't need it. It barely gets threads. Viridian Forest wouldn't need it, there'd be no point of a Viridian Forest board if there was one there. (Im not even sure if Viridian Forest is there still.)
Same with Help.
General Discussion, well yeah, it does need one, i've seen utterly indescribably stupid threads posted in the past.

Just trial GD, then use it (if it works) on boards that need it.

I think that's fair for the community as a whole. :)

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

THe new topic approval system... oh come on people, it won't be that strict. I doubt they will not approve intelligent topics and who needs stupid topics or SPAM on psypoke? Is it that hard to ask for a permission?

BUT, i saw some forums that were ruined by a massive wave of newbies, that came to exchange friend codes. One Animal Crossing forum was full of topics like "CAN SOMEONE ADD ME PLEASE?" "I need friends", "Can anyone come into my town to play?". The forum does still exist, but none goes there anymore....
What i want to say is that when D/P comes out, I doubt the newbies will read the rules and they WILL post topics like that. Noobs don't give a **** about the rules.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:32 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

12:37 <nfield> Due to the many opinions of the new operation
12:37 <nfield> Including ones that involve creating avatars that depict me dying
12:37 <nfield> The staff and I have decided that there's only one option.
12:38 <nfield> Only one option to stop the controversy against Operation More Post, Less Junk.
12:38 <nfield> And that
12:38 -!- mode/#psypoke [+b *!*@*] by nfield
12:38 <nfield> is to ban you all.
12:38 -!- mode/#psypoke [-b *!*@*] by nfield
12:38 <nfield> april fools.

:P

Come on, you didn't really think we would become that totalitarian, did you?

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:15 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

But Jamie was more concerned. =D

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lordy, I was so afraid this board was going to crumble into nothing.

And then I was scared I was going to get banned for starting that little rebellion with KaseKase. "I'm already on probation!!! I should support the mods!!!"

D: It was pretty pathetic.

Congrats, Nick. :D

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:31 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You got me and xalia and jamie and a bunch of others.

Happy April Fools everyone!

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:34 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

LOL that sort of had me scared for a bit. Nice joke nfield never expected that to happen

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:39 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

So, no topic approval for general discussion? :(

Dang, I thought it was the forums dying for april fools :?

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:09 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

You're horrid, nfield.

Thank you for making this the best April Fool's Day of my life.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
Illiterate
Illiterate

I believe someone warned you... :? At least you believe us now *Other five psybucks for Peanut*

You really got me people, I can't believe I made sucha scandal for it .........lol. And you are right JameJame, the thing we were doing on the chats earlier was indeed, pathetic

In nomine....Diabulus et...Belial, Satan, Astharoth, Lucifer et Yahve.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:28 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next