It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The End Of Teams 
it's like a baguette

I make this announcement to inform all of you of a significant change that shall soon take place...

I'm deleting the teams.

Before you panic, I'm not doing it yet. I will be deleting the teams next weekend (Saturday, May 19th), so as to give everyone time to save anything worthwhile to them. I will be going through the teams and sending any significant looking threads to Indigo Plateau, which will become an archive of team forum threads.

Please send any questions, comments, threads you want to see archived, etc. to me via pm.

Last edited by FireStarter on Sat May 26, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:08 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Thank you for getting this over quickly. They had fallen apart, needed cleaning, and frankly, I got tired of em.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I might look like an idiot for asking this but I'll take a chance. Why are you deleting the teams?

Fri May 11, 2007 8:17 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Fri May 11, 2007 8:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Searching for the place all the Abra teleport to. I'm going to crash their party.
Aw, man! This stinks. I had finally gotten to enjoy Hydro, too. What's the big deal, anyways?

Fri May 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
it's like a baguette

[21:16:11] <FireStarter> the teams are off-putting to the type of member we would hope to attract, the admins are having to go through too much trouble to help maintain them, leaders leave on a regular basis, there is a lack of overall interest, etc. :)

Fri May 11, 2007 8:45 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

FireStarter pretty much summed it up, but I would like to add my opinion as well.

The teams were "fun" "back then." Back when there were fresh ideas for them, and people were interested. When Amphy tried to do the Psypoke Isle Survivor thing, nearly nobody signed up. I convinced a few people in the chats to sign up on their team, but the lack of interest in the teams was obvious then.

Another issue that has really pressured ME into considering deleting the teams is when I realised (nearly) none of the team leaders cared. I became an adminstrator in March, by the time April came around I had already had "leader" issues with three teams. Personally, I think the teams are dead and a waste of bandwidth, etc., and I'm pretty sure the other three Lites feel the same way.

I'm really sorry for those who became attached to them...but I just want to remind everyone what this community is about. It's not about Roleplaying, it's not about Fanart and spriting contests between the teams (which by the way, NONE of those worked out), it's about Pokemon. If you're just here for the teams, you don't really have a place here I guess. I'd like to encourage you all to continue to visit Psypoke and contribute to what this community IS - Pokemon discussion.

I understand not everyone is going to agree, but please be mature about this. We had an issue with a certain team about this time last year, and it was hell for the Elites. In the end everyone involved realised how stupid they were acting, and we haven't had an issue like that since.

Again, I applogise for the broken hearts etc., but it really is time that we killed the teams.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

I'm just dropping by to say that I can't really disagree with any of this. The teams seem dead, and they're taking up MASSIVE amounts of space and wasting bandwidth (which we've been going through like mad since D/P came out, not that it really matters). The teams were a good idea a long time ago, but they really don't seem to be worth the effort it takes to have them any more.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Fri May 11, 2007 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I wasn't informed of this, but I don't disagree and I sort of saw it coming anyway; it was just a matter of time. The teams have gradually declined since they began, and while certain teams are still pretty active, you don't really need private forums to hold such activities; the A&C forum is fine for those too.

As for the Leader issues, they're kinda true too. I asked the teams for an updated team introduction back in February, but to date I've only received it from two teams, so I guess I need not explain further. Don't get me wrong; the leaders are great people, but it's just that they are too busy to be there for the teams on a regular basis.

Inter-team activities are always in the pipeline, but they are rooted to the ground and never take off. It's always a case of NATO - "No action, talk only". People have great ideas all the time, but no one in the teams have been capable of actually putting these ideas into reality.

So while I've grown quite attached to Team Hydro, which I have been with since its humble beginnings till this date, I guess this deletion of Psypoke Isle is somewhat inevitable and I hope the members of all the teams can now channel their enthusiasm into Psypoke's public forum sections. Thanks.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:02 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I thought for a moment this was a joke thread. Sadly, it's not April 1st any more...

I thought that the teams were getting better recently. As far as I can tell, Psyche and Hydro have been as active as ever, and I know that Midnight has been going strong, even if some of our members have to go on hiatus due to IRL problems.

Since there's nothing I can really do to convince you against this decision, I'd like to ask if we could have the teams set up again as threads in A&C, like they were back in the old days.

Krisp wrote:
I'm really sorry for those who became attached to them...but I just want to remind everyone what this community is about. It's not about Roleplaying, it's not about Fanart and spriting contests between the teams (which by the way, NONE of those worked out), it's about Pokemon. If you're just here for the teams, you don't really have a place here I guess. I'd like to encourage you all to continue to visit Psypoke and contribute to what this community IS - Pokemon discussion.

But if Pokemon is the only thing that this community is about, then it's a boring and shallow forum.

FireStarter wrote:
[21:16:11] <FireStarter> the teams are off-putting to the type of member we would hope to attract, the admins are having to go through too much trouble to help maintain them, leaders leave on a regular basis, there is a lack of overall interest, etc. :)

Off-putting to the type of member? I thought we were aiming for literate, intelligent members, and they seem to join teams an awful lot.

I doubt that there's as much lack of interest as you seem to suggest.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The teams are NOT dead. They are NOT a waste of time. What's wrong with coming here mainly for the teams? That's what I do. The teams are a bit like families. It's where people know each other best.

Krisp wrote:
...but I just want to remind everyone what this community is about. It's not about Roleplaying, it's not about Fanart and spriting contests between the teams (which by the way, NONE of those worked out), it's about Pokemon. If you're just here for the teams, you don't really have a place here I guess. I'd like to encourage you all to continue to visit Psypoke and contribute to what this community IS - Pokemon discussion.

And Why isn't Fan Art about Pokemon? Or RPs? Without them, and the teams, Psypoke will be nothing but an ordinary, boring Pokemon site without them. I can't believe that.

The teams are a part of Psypoke. And IMO, that's what they should stay.

Sat May 12, 2007 1:23 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well this is poop... Team Hydro RIP, the only place I truly belonged...

Sat May 12, 2007 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Maybe Team Leaders should have been consulted first.
Anyway, I don't consider Midnight to be dead. Not even remotely. But if this is for real, and you already made up your mind, then I suppose posting here won't make much of a difference either.
I don't agree with the decision, since most activities are held in IRC channels and quite honestly, not everyone goes there. Not everyone is allowed, and some people simply don't like it. The teams are part of the forums, not the #psypokes channel, so deeming teams as "dead" just because people don't play IRC-held contests may be wrong. However, I assume the L4 has access to all the teams, and as such can see for themselves whether the teams are active or not. Assuming that you did so, and carefully deliberated before deciding, I think it's ultimately up to you to decide what to do with your bandwidth. I may not agree, but like I said before, I don't think that matters much.

Last edited by Blackwind on Sat May 12, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:37 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Just in case, you won't pull a P-L on all of us and half our posts deleted? Meh anyways I might as well crawl up in a hole because of this. Nice one.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I will do what Krisp says and behave maturely. One reason that is because I agree with her (sorry Hydro), but each team (besides Midnight) is not very active and there's just a certain . . . mehness about it that isn't that cool anymore.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:47 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The teams are NOT dead. They are NOT a waste of time. What's wrong with coming here mainly for the teams? That's what I do. The teams are a bit like families. It's where people know each other best.

The whole FORUM is supposed to be like family. The teams take away from that majorly.

Vulpine wrote:
Krisp wrote:
...but I just want to remind everyone what this community is about. It's not about Roleplaying, it's not about Fanart and spriting contests between the teams (which by the way, NONE of those worked out), it's about Pokemon. If you're just here for the teams, you don't really have a place here I guess. I'd like to encourage you all to continue to visit Psypoke and contribute to what this community IS - Pokemon discussion.

And Why isn't Fan Art about Pokemon? Or RPs? Without them, and the teams, Psypoke will be nothing but an ordinary, boring Pokemon site without them. I can't believe that.

The FanArt and RPs we do IS about Pokemon, but we're losing sight of that. The sole purpose of this board is not "Pokemon FanArt" or "Pokemon Roleplaying", just Pokemon. Pokemon is such a more vast subject that people who don't enjoy FanArt and Roleplaying can come here and have a good time as well. In fact, the core of this place should be "Pokemon discussion", as Krisp stated earlier, because, well... posting FanArt and pretending to be a madeup character (however fun that may be) isn't really good for intelligent discussion, pokemon or not. ;[

Sat May 12, 2007 6:42 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Man, its sad to delete the teams. I think teams are going alright, not that really "dead" anyway. But I don't think I can change anything,its the Lite4's desicions.

Sat May 12, 2007 6:46 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

But I don't think I can change anything,its the Lite4's desicions.

Don't think that way.

I do think that the members and leaders should have been consulted first, but I wasn't part of the decision making either, so I was equally in the dark about it as you all =p

Sat May 12, 2007 7:09 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I have to admit Team Psyche has almost completely died when Flarey left, along with its special AP activity. It was fun indeed, back then, but it was mainly about Flarey's creations, so when she left all the fun seemed to vanish together with her.

I tried to bring the Team back to life with similar activities but they were all a fiasco. I worked a lot on those projects and people let me down. We do nothing but post in a completely disposable "Grins and Groans" thread or vote in repetitive ECs.

Psyche could go kaboom for all I care, honestly. I don't really want to hurt other members' feelings, but it's been a waste of database ever since Flarey departed. I see no reasons for mantaining it.

I can't see original Team activites besides Elimination Challenges that are type exclusive (Hydro with Water, Solar with Grass, etc). Psyche at least had the Alternate Personality thread and other creative thingies, but as I said, those were long gone. Plus, members have been leaving the Team with the excuse it's not active and lost its fun. I don't know if this has been happening to the other Teams, but it's been a constant in Psyche.

I'm not going against the deletion of the Teams. They are dead, that's the truth we have to admit. Unless, of course, you people think posting in ECs, art galleries and having inter-team competitions are entirely team-focused and considered "active stuff" (you're active because you have an EC or other general activity), and that couldn't be held anywhere else in these Forums.

Sat May 12, 2007 7:35 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I must say I agree with the majority of people here and with Galar. As soon as Flarey left Psyche divebombed and became a graveyard. Nothing is active. The only team forum I've seen with new posts is Midnight.

The teams were fun for a while but the novelty eventually wore off. I'm not sad to see them go. I admit I haven't posted in or even visited Psyche for a while and I'm sure that can be said for a lot of members.

Sat May 12, 2007 7:46 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well I think this is a terrible decision, Team Midnight is far from dead (note that the majority of people protesting this are from it) I'll admit that it had become slightly less active because a few members have temporarly left because of exams but there where still active members to keep the team going It's just that...
I...
I hate this...

Sat May 12, 2007 7:59 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

The problem was, Midnight was the only "active" team. Yes, I know Hydro and Inferno had alittle activity, but Solar and Psyche were completely flat out dead.

goldenquagsire wrote:
But if Pokemon is the only thing that this community is about, then it's a boring and shallow forum.

How is that cold and shallow? Yes, Pokemon IS pretty much the only thing this board is about. We don't have any Final Fantasy forum, LoZ forum, Sonic forum, etc. because PsyPoke is about pokemon.

Vulpine wrote:
The teams are a bit like families. It's where people know each other best.

Midnight is the only team like that.

Vulpine wrote:
Without them, and the teams, Psypoke will be nothing but an ordinary, boring Pokemon site without them. I can't believe that.

This forum did quite well without the teams (I know, because I joined before they even started), and I'm pretty sure we can accomplish that success again.

Blackwind wrote:
Anyway, I don't consider Midnight to be dead. Not even remotely.

And Midnight is the only team that ISN'T dead...Hydro and Inferno are just hardly active, and Solar and Psyche aren't active in the least.

SuperBlastoise wrote:
Just in case, you won't pull a P-L on all of us and half our posts deleted? Meh anyways I might as well crawl up in a hole because of this. Nice one.

First of all, nobody deleted half of Peanut-Lover's post. He had a lot of posts in the Rating Center and I did delete that, but nobody deleted all his posts. If you're going to "crawl up in a hole" because we're deleting the team forums, then wow. :x

DragonDaithi wrote:
I hate this why do you have to do it?

Didn't you read our reasoning? Can't you try to relate to us alittle bit?

Sat May 12, 2007 8:20 am
Profile WWW
blah blah blah

Team Hydro and Inferno are showing some life. Midnight is flowing with life. I suggest you only eleminate team solar and psyche. Then keep the other 3.

Sat May 12, 2007 8:38 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

OK, I'm back from my corner and I've decided to live with it.

Sat May 12, 2007 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

...Only eliminating two teams wouldn't do much. Plus, it's not exactly fair.

Anyway, I sort of have to agree with this decision. The teams used to be nice (back when Psypoke Isle had just been created), and I liked Psyche. Alas, now I fail to see the point of it now. First Psyche was the most active team (with a lot of spam however, and I'm not going to lie saying I didn't spam), now it's flat-out dead (due to Flarey leaving...). The teams had their glory days, but they've passed now.

Well, I wouldn't object much if Psyche was deleted at least, although it's been my team for a while, it is dead and that's the truth.

Also, sorry if I offended anyone.

-Gardevoir~

Sat May 12, 2007 8:53 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next