Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Dreaded 00BERS!! 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: On the back of a stampeding Tauros squealing, "WHEEE!"
I was itching to respond to this...

Gnaaye wrote:
SOMEBODY wrote:

Online in this one battle, My Friend was using all ubers (Dragonite, Metagross, Blissey, Swampert, Salamence, and Nidoking)...

NONE of those are 00bers.

...and didn't feel like being hushed, so I decided to make a separate thread for opinions.

Question: in your opinion, are the "near the end of the pokedex" pokes (i.e. Tyranitar, Garchomp, Metagross, Salamence, etc...) ubers? What about the pokemon mentioned in the above quote?

My response: SWAMPERT an uber? I don't know what planet you live on if you think Swampert is an uber, honestly. :lol: Same with Nidoking, Blissey, and in fact all of the ones mentioned in this post.

Someone in the "funny battles" topic said that based on tournaments banning the likes of Tyranitar/Garchomp/Metagross/Salamence/Dragonite (just using these as exmaples) this makes them uber. Just because these pokemon are abnormally powerful, it does NOT make them uber, the way I see it. They may be powerful, but they are perfectly legitimate fighters--ubers like Arceus, Mewtwo and, the grandaddy of them all, Deoxys--are not.

I just don't see how these are "uber." Sure, some tourneys ban them, but it's just so n00bs don't abuse them.

Thoughts? Opinions? (Apologies if there's already a topic like this; I searched and found nothing of the sort)

Last edited by Taser on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thats right so many don't know what they are talking about. The person mentioned in the quote is a noob and clearly knows nothing. They are just
pokemon that are strong but that doesn't mean you have to ban them.
Really so many people confuse the word uber and its really lame. Its
a shame that I have watched so many people post such idiotic things. For
example saying Swampet is an uber, that is completely ridiculous. Pokemon like Tyranitar, Garchomp, Metagross, and Dragonite are not banned pokemon because they are used in competitive play. People just
whine and complain about one pokemon because they are too strong.
Seriously some pokemon can beat ubers if you use strategy and knowledge. Nidoking is not an Uber!!!!

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:38 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I don't really think there are any super powerful pokemon sure they're better and worse pokemon but unless they are legendary they should not be put on a pedestal, the only reason is becuase they DO have the stats
Most of the Ubers that get banned or limited in tournaments have an x4 weakness, thats not to say they can't dominate an unsuspecting player with a team not outfitted for competitive combat.
As far as Legendaries go, They do have a list of weakness and lets say you have a Jolteon and your fighting Kygore, the Jolteon has a better chance of winning :shock:
**Just my little opinion on the popular Tyranitar..It Is Junk**
I don't really like the Uber list but Scizor should be on it...
Why?
Because it OWNS
{scizor}

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Wow i'm so happy every felt like making a fool out of me without even contacting me via PM, that was just an Example kid you need to lighten the **** up. Seriously how do you calssify ubers, as legendaries maybe but DUH they are legendaries. I classify them as Pokes that are hard to kill and can get 600 + in stats. Just because I do somethign different doesn't make me a noob.

This is also going out to infernape101 who was beat by my friend using the team i mentioned, as well as me.

Really if you have a problem with it contact me instead of doing this, this seems wrong to single me out when so many other kids do it.

You find me a chart that CLASSIFIES ubers without Opinions and then I will listen to you, until then this seems really immature seeing as I could probably beat anyone here.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Stop acting like a 7-year-old. We reserve the right to our opinions and we never said you had to agree. I think it's crazy to say Swampert is an uber, and that is OOOOO-KAY. So deal with the fact that people disagree with you--I think you're just mad because someone called you a n00b. Get over it.

EDIT: Single you out? My you are a defensive one. :roll: I QUOTED YOU because that was an EXAMPLE.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:57 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Wow ClaSsick you helped your buddy during the battle. When we battled I had you annoyed completely and you brought this on yourself. We were tied at the end but your Blissey simply won by luck. Calm the **** down.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:12 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:14 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

You find me a chart that CLASSIFIES ubers without Opinions and then I will listen to you

Can't say that he doesn't have a point half of the "common" list of Ubers is kinda ridiculous to me

Tyranitar---Junk..Bad ability and too slow, DD=DEATH with it's weaknesses
Metagross---Too slow and weakness too common
Dragonite---Move pool, can only have 4 attacks....

Garchomp--Better then most
Salamence--Better then most

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:28 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Seriously though, short of legendaries, I don't really count anything as an "uber." But even legendaries can be taken down rather easily.

Name: Erik
Friend Code: 1160 9109 9627

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Tyranitar---Junk..Bad ability and too slow, DD=DEATH with it's weaknesses

Not at all IMO. A properly trained Tyranitar can rip whole teams apart (I know from experience, thanks to DP's Subpunch TTar -_-). Just because something's slow doesn't mean it's junk. Its defenses and HP make up for it.

Quote:
Metagross---Too slow and weakness too common

A Metagross with about 180 speed and Agility can be pretty fast, au contraire. As far as weaknesses, you're forgetting Magnet Rise, which eliminates its most major weakness (EQ). To cover fire, all you have to do is throw EQ on Metagross and with its massive attack power, any fire-type contenders I can think of will fall.

EDIT: With the exception of flying-types, that is :lol: But the chances of you fighting a Ho-oh or Moltres in competitive play are slim, and if you're really wary about that, then just throw Rock Slide on it.

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by the 4 attacks thing, but Dragonite's movepool is stellar last I checked.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:36 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by the 4 attacks thing, but Dragonite's movepool is stellar last I checked.

I believe he meant that there are so many great moves that Dragonite can learn and its bad because you can only choose 4?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:07 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Tyranitar has far to many weakness so it's no hard to counter at all, as far as being so powerful...NO I had a Tyranitar, but i did not put so much time into it and my friend was easily able to take it. He get his Tyranitar Ev trained and all, take it down with 1 pokemon, Although that does not mean other people won't have trouble, or that I wouldn't either if put into a bad situation, as far as having your whole team devastated by a Tyraintar consider renovations and adding a Fighting attack hear and there

Metagross Your opinion on battle might be a bit different from mine but the first turn would be lost if the Metagross is, and likely to be slower, and uses Magnate Rise it would be hit by the possible earthquake already or any other attack, Then agility yes this will make you faster but the opponet has gotten another hit off on you, what do you do now with Metagorss at least at half hits, if not lower.

Dragonite What i mean but 4 attacks is, that even with that move pool it only gets 4 attacks and let me break down how to think of it
4 attacks
1 that Buffs, DD or Aglity
1 (If not Buff) Surf or Earthquake
2 Stab move Dragon Claw/Pulse,
3 Ice, Electric
4 Up for Grabs
Yeah that could be a little dangerous if Dragonite has a move that your poke is weak against, But the move won't be have STAB so the chances of an OHKO, or even taking you out in 2 hits with it is not high unless pokemon has a x4 weakness or hits are low

Im not tying to say that these pokemon a bad, but they aren't on godly pokemon lvl, might be OU instead of Uber
**I never thought that Slow pokemon are bad, they generally have the defense to take a hit (Scizor)**
Tell me if you think my logic is twisted but if it's broken down like this i can't really consider these pokemon "Uber"

Last edited by Death76 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:12 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: On the left side of the street... Take THAT Society!
it has a 4x weakness to fighting, a common type on any team.

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=bulkywaters <- Go

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Location: IN THE EMOTIONLESS TRAWLING FERVOR'S OF MY INSANE MIND.
Ok, first of all, classick felt like he was being ganged up on because people did the same thing in the funny battles disscussion. secound of all, I would normaly thank the person who started this as it moves this disscussion somewere else besides funny battles, which is good but as mostly this has been used for insults, which is not good (might be called flaming), I think that this is going to end up in the mysterius lintaro's lair.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:18 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Tyranitar has far to many weakness so it's no hard to counter at all, as far as being so powerful...NO I had a Tyranitar, but i did not put so much time into it and my friend was easily able to take it. He get his Tyranitar Ev trained and all, take it down with 1 pokemon, Although that does not mean other people won't have trouble, or that I wouldn't either if put into a bad situation,

Metagross Your opinion on battle might be a bit different from mine but the first turn would be lost if the Metagross is, and likely to be slower, and uses Magnate Rise it would be hit by the possible earthquake already or any other attack, Then agility yes this will make you faster but the opponet has gotten another hit off on you, what do you do now with Metagorss at least at half hits, if not lower.

Dragonite What i mean but 4 attacks is, that even with that move pool it only gets 4 attacks and let me break down how to think of it
4 attacks
1 that Buffs, DD or Aglity
1 (If not Buff) Surf or Earthquake
2 Stab move Dragon Claw/Pulse,
3 Ice, Electric
4 Up for Grabs
Yeah that could be a little dangerous if Dragonite has a move that your poke is weak against, But the move won't be have STAB so the chances of an OHKO, or even taking you out in 2 hits with it is not high unless pokemon has a x4 weakness or hits are low

**I never thought that Slow pokemon are bad, they generally have the defense to take a hit (Scizor)**
Tell me if you think my logic is twisted but if it's broken down like this i can't really consider these pokemon "Uber"

This makes a lot of sense. For Metagross though, If it survives a few turns, its a great sweeper and/or tank. As for Dragonite, it can be incredibly strong, but some of the ones that I've fought have hardly left a dent on my Bronzong with a STABed Dragon Pulse.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:23 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

In my opinion, anything with total base stats lower than 600 is automatically disqualified from being called uber. Wobbuffet/Wynaut were put into the Uber tier on some Advanced battling sites only because Wobbuffet holding Leftovers vs. Wobbuffet holding Leftovers matches, for example, would force a stalemate. Wobbuffet will most likely come down from "Ubers" in DP's metagame; it was honestly just banned in Advanced completely.

Anything greater than base 600 overall stats should be considered "Uber," besides Regigigigas and Slaking for obvious reasons. Slaking's Truant trait knocks it down to regular OU play, and Regigigigas' Slow Start trait makes it completely unusable in Ubers and difficult to use in OU. Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina and Arceus are all quite justified in being relegated to the Ubers tier.

Pokemon with exactly base 600 overall stats are just a little trickier to work out. They are typically allowed unless they have something that gives them an unfair advantage against non-Ubers. Lati@s holding Soul Dew moves them into Ubers easily, but I'm not sure what the verdict is on using them without their item. Mew's ability to learn every TM in the game pushes it above Jirachi and Celebi. All forms of Deoxys get good movepools with horribly extreme stat distributions.

I think Tyranitar realistically could move to Ubers in DP. People are overrating his many "weaknesses." Three of them are Bug, Steel and Grass, and, other than Heracross and Grass Knot, none of those are extremely common attacking moves in competitive battling. With Sandstorm boosting his Special Defense by 50%, not to mention a trait that activates Sandstorm automatically every time he enters the field, it's as if Tyranitar has the stats of an Uber due to the SD boost.

Manaphy may or may not move to Ubers as well. Unlike Celebi, Jirachi or Shaymin, Manaphy can do Hydration Rests, gets STAB'd Surfs during Rain Dances, picks up Energy Ball, Ice Beam, Heart Swap and Tail Glow, and doesn't get destroyed by Grass Knot like a majority of the common Water Pokemon in competitive battling do. I don't think it's likely that Manaphy will be classed an as uber, but it is a definite possibility.

So my final verdict is that following are DEFINITELY Ubers: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latias w/Soul Dew, Latios w/Soul Dew, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Deoxys-FR (I'm less than convinced on the Uber status of the others, but Deoxys-LG is a possibility as well), Palkia, Dialga, Giratina and Arceus, with a strong chance for Tyranitar to move up as well.

The following are DEFINITELY NOT Ubers: Snorlax, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Dragonite, Skarmory, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Celebi, Swampert, Slaking, Salamence, Metagross, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Jirachi, Garchomp, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione and Shaymin.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:41 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

as far as having your whole team devastated by a Tyraintar consider renovations and adding a Fighting attack hear and there

The problem is, once his TTar used Substitute, I couldn't even kill THAT in one hit. I think you should keep a more open mind about TTar and the rest--I think if you battled a well trained, Subpunching TTar, you'd know exactly what I mean. (Oh, and I did have a fighting-type. Type advantages aren't everything.)

Overall, I agree with Frost's post, though I'm still going to air on the side of TTar NOT being an uber, while it still is very good. (For me, TTar is definitely more OU than "uber.")

I've heard some people consider Manaphy uber because of its stats; I've heard others consider it not uber because of its narrow movepool.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Scizor Swords Dance with X Scissor and Iron Head
Both attacks are it's weakness with STAB and Scizors attack...Tyranitar just lost all of its luster

Uber to you might not be Uber to me because of the ways our teams are. You might have trouble with a Tyranitar and i might have trouble with something like a Starmie, can't really have a fixed list of Ubers.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

^Well, like I said, I wasn't even calling TTar an uber, just saying I don't think it should automatically be considered "junk." (I want to see you fight DP's TTar now :P)

But yea, that's why I made this topic, so I could see different opinions.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Lets just say that Tyranitar has been on my **** list since Silver and Gold and now that i have a couple of concrete ways to combat it, Tryanitar is no big deal to me

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well to toally clear things up, when i posted that I can see what it could be considered idiotic. I listed the whole team he used, and I consider Blissey, Drag, and Sala uber to me. THATS MY OPINION, the fact I listed his whole team was my stupidity.

As to infernapes response, i have never seen anyone complain about giving quick advice to a friend when you would take roguhly 5 - 10 mins to make a move by literally breaking down the whole situation, I find that far more annoying then quick advice.

My apologies to taser for overreacting, I truely felt singled out when i saw that. I have seriosuly seen kids call pidgeot uber, so referring to me as a noob because of that post was outrageous lol.

Either way it was partially my fault and I respectively request you to take my name out please. By the way I agree with Frost completely, my way of classifying an uber is stats Over or really close to 600. His blissey is unreal with max HP at 714. <- Tell me thats not Uber lmfao. Anyways my apology to taser and taser alone, think what you will of me but i am no noob.

Anyways my Opinion on tyranitar is EWWWWWW lol. I have ahd a tyranitar, though it is ok my electivire kills it in one hit and my old dragonite got it with 1 aqua tail. Its ok but it just doesnt seem top of the line to me.

My current team is the one named JoHn, it has no Ubers under my category but it still pwns lol.

Pz - ClassicK

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Already have. Sorry for the misconception.

I wouldn't really say Blissey is an uber either, but that's just my thoughts. Sure, it can be annoying to kill, but I still wouldn't say it's in the same boat as ubers. I mean, stats aren't everything; like I said, Manaphy has uber-like stats, but I've seen people who wouldn't call it uber because of its narrow moovepool.

Oh yea, and Frost mentioned that only a couple of forms of Deoxys are certainly uber; I personally think the pokemon as a whole is "00ber" with a capital zero :rolleyes: Its movepool is ridiculous, its stats are ridiculous, you can put it in three different forms, use it for three different things... especially now that you can change its form any time you want now in D/P.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The best Uber, Acreus. like OMG lol, any type BEST STATS and HUGE MOVES. it truely is the god pokemon

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

GG to Taser, good playing you. Awesome shinies too i mean wowowow lol.

Pz ClassicK

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:16 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

On the tyranitar thing...
it has a 4x weakness to fighting, a common type on any team.
Yeah that pisses me off. It's TTar's Rock type. It has soooo many benefits, w/ Sandstorm and all, but waaaay to many weaknesses.

On the thought of them being Ubers, thats just ridiculous. They're definitely extremely good, but not that good.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next