It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Laugh if you must. I'm ready for it. 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've been tinkering with Pokemon that fit well with my Mean Look/Yawn/Dream Eater Umbreon set.

I've found that, even though it's ability is as useful as dog poop, Slaking (you can laugh now) will work as a reliable support Pokemon.

The battle starts with Umbreon. Mean Look first, followed by Yawn. Rather than Dream Eater right away, use the turn to switch to Slaking. The enemy falls asleep and Slaking uses Bulk Up. Next turn enemy sleeps, Slaking loafs around. By now, the enemy will be awake, and depending on the enemy's threat level Slaking can Bulk Up again or attack.

Here's the set for Slaking.
{slaking} + Leftovers
Jolly - Truant
252 Atk 252 Spd 6HP
Night Slash
Aerial Ace
Bulk Up
Slack Off

I'm hoping that with the enemy asleep attacking every other turn won't matter.
So basically Aerial Ace covers Fighting weakness, and Night Slash offers hope against Ghosties.
I want to keep Bulk Up and Slack Off, but if you've got a better idea for those, the nature, or EVs, type them in between giggles.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Never, ever ever ever devil play Slaking this way...his Truant "Ability" is the reason why, even if the foe is put to sleep. Also because Slaking, when played correctly, is one of the Best, or Best Pokemon to teach Giga Impact. If you want to have a Pokemon that uses stat increasing moves, Slaking is a no can do cos you never Know when the foe will wake up and by using a Defensive Move on top of his Truant "Ability", you use up 2 valuable turns just to raise his Atk and Def stats by 1 stage. Think about it, a Pokemon who knows Bulk Up and doesn't have this Stupid "Ability" can raise its Atk & Def by 100% in 2 turns...so why not use another Pokemon who can learn Stat Boosting moves for this combo? It'll be so much better. I'm not saying this combo is useless, but there are better Pokemon than Slaking that can be used in this combo and Slaking can also be played the OHKO style with Giga impact, which is much better. :)

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:02 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Giga Impact because the next turn is wasted anyway and possible OHKO right? Sounds good...

Let's see what else you guys have.

And yes, I know about how bad Slaking's ability is. I would make a double battle set with Gastro Acid/Worry Seed. But nobody ever wants to double battle.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Giga Impact because the next turn is wasted anyway and possible OHKO right? Sounds good...

Let's see what else you guys have.

And yes, I know about how bad Slaking's ability is. I would make a double battle set with Gastro Acid/Worry Seed. But nobody ever wants to double battle.
Uh, well if the pokemon's just gonna be alseep you could pass it to whatever you want.

Dragon dancers, sword dancers, calm minders, pretty much any manner of bulky pokemon, or any curse set.

Heck even sub punchers, or Boah get a huge advantage.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

OLOL, if you switch out after Mean Look+Yawn they can switch out as well before you BU your Slaking.

A worse strategy than Ghett0's Toxistaller Froslass.

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:54 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

MissingNo_Is_My_Friend wrote:
The battle starts with Umbreon. Mean Look first, followed by Yawn. Rather than Dream Eater right away, use the turn to switch to Slaking.

I hope you're kidding about the Umbreon...Dream Eater? Stick BP on there instead and BP the Mean Look over.

Try using another poke for the attacker, Slaking's Truant is not good for Slack Off and Bulk Up.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:21 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

OLOL, if you switch out after Mean Look+Yawn they can switch out as well before you BU your Slaking.

Dur.. I meant to say Baton Pass to Slaking. That way the Mean Look stays in play.

So you compare me to Ghett0 now?

Sheesh. I would never have considered using this strategy without BP.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: On the left side of the street... Take THAT Society!

Not even close.

But, agreed, this set isn't the best for Slaking. Try BP'ing to any of those things Faceless listed.

If you want a Slaking:

{slaking}@Lefties
Jolly, EV's depend on preference*
Giga Impact/Return (Can't switch out if use 1st)
Night Slash
Slack Off
EQ/Aerial Ace/Brick Break

*HP to add onto the godly amount, more speed, more attack, defense so Slack Off is more effective

Faceless wrote:
I think the fact that Gnaaye jumped to such a conclusion and immediately decided to laugh at you over it says something about his character.

LAWL

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=bulkywaters <- Go

Last edited by thekiller0703 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Gnaaye wrote:

Dur.. I meant to say Baton Pass to Slaking. That way the Mean Look stays in play.

So you compare me to Ghett0 now?

Sheesh. I would never have considered using this strategy without BP.
No worries, most of us knew exactly what you meant to say, I think the fact that Gnaaye jumped to such a conclusion and immediately decided to laugh at you over it says something about his character.

I'm gonna agree with everyone and say you're looking at this problem backwards, instead of trying to find a way to use slaking you should be looking for the best pokemon you could pass to.

I used a similar mean look strategy very recently with umbreon baton passing a dusknoir to gyarados. I swept the whole team. It on another forum, so my opponent, should he read this, yes that was me. I use a different SN.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

i think the mean look / baton pass combo is very popular - the term chaosbreon comes to mind. basically your umbreon uses mean look, and maybe taunt if necessary (eg if it traps skarmory), then passes to something which can set up with dragon dance (or similar) and can resist whatever was trapped.

or it can pass to something with perish song, like celebi, or gengar (good for killing blisseys).

but yeah, after two turns slaking has increased its attack by 50% - max attack by this stage is less than 700. after 2 turns salamence could have dragon danced twice - max attack now is over 800, not to mention a pretty unsurpassable speed as well. and then slaking can still attack only every second turn. if you want to use slaking there isnt much better than a choice band set. return is probably better than giga impact, since you have the option of switching slaking out on his loafing turn (which makes him just like any other hit-and-run choice bander) or maybe double edge which works especially good if your team has someone with wish (umbreon?).

my umbreon:

{umbreon} @ leftovers
EVs: almost max hp, the rest split between def and sp def
mean look
taunt
wish
baton pass

it cant hurt anyone by itself, but who cares ;) its just there to help the rest of the team.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:50 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I won't feel too bad about deleting Bulk Up because I didn't even use a TM. Heh Smeargle is good for something.

So how about I Choice Band Slaking and... Give him three attacks that deal heavy damage so that I use him only when absolutely necessary?
Like:
Aerial Ace/Return
Focus Punch/Brick Break
Night Slash/EQ

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

when selecting moves you have to remember that return will have a base power of 153 after you factor in STAB. this means that moves like brick break and rock slide arent that great because even if they were supereffective they will do 150 damage as opposed to 153 from return - if its doubly supereffective, eg against fire/flying, then its a different story, but those situations are pretty rare (aerial ace is even worse, but can be useful against breloom/heracross - however your team should have another counter to those). the only reason you wouldnt use return is if (a) the oposing pokemon resistent to it - steel and/or rock - so put earthquake on your moveset, or (b) the opposing pokemon is a ghost, so probably add night slash. the fourth slot is still open, so i would put focus punch - fighting is such a great type (which hits supereffective against 5 types). lets face it, a lot of pokemon are going to run when they see slaking, so you will get quite a few chances to use it. just remember that since return is his most powerful weapon, there might be a few ghost switch-ins which mean that focus punch is a little risky.

i would go for

{slaking}
adamant/jolly (depending on whether you want to KNOW you can outspeed your opponent)
252 att/spd, 6 hp
return/double edge
earthquake
night slash
focus punch

i personally prefer jolly, so i know i will be at least as fast as salamence (and all other base 100 speed pokes). but he is so strong, adamant is also a good choice.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:08 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

why not four moves?

i would go for

{slaking}
adamant/jolly (depending on whether you want to KNOW you can outspeed your opponent)
252 att/spd, 6 hp
return/double edge
earthquake
night slash
focus punch

i personally prefer jolly, so i know i will be at least as fast as salamence (and all other base 100 speed pokes). but he is so strong, adamant is also a good choice.

Hmmm...I don't think this would work well...Slakings Own because of their Supreme Attack. Due to their Truant "ABILITY", there's no other choice better than Giga Impact cos it makes full use of Slaking's Abilities. So here's what I think is better: :)

Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Moves:
Giga Impact
Earthquake
Ice punch
Thunder Punch/Shadow claw

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

^^^ you cant switch out on the 'o-crap! i hate you!' Turn.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:02 am
PROBATION
PROBATION

Maybe U-Turn ....Switch to Pokemon with the Resistance for the move you know the opponent will use...

Recolours Galore< < < < < < < < < < Please Click Image

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Cuddles wrote:
why not four moves?

i would go for

{slaking}
252 att/spd, 6 hp
return/double edge
earthquake
night slash
focus punch

Hmmm...I don't think this would work well...Slakings Own because of their Supreme Attack. Due to their Truant "ABILITY", there's no other choice better than Giga Impact cos it makes full use of Slaking's Abilities. So here's what I think is better: :)

Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Moves:
Giga Impact
Earthquake
Ice punch
Thunder Punch/Shadow claw

I tried to get Ice Punch as an egg move from Smeargle, but it didn't work.

Hmmm you guys think the turn after Slack Off I could potentially lose all the HP I regained?

So 4 moves that cover many types... I think Focus Punch is a great choice since I plan to BP Mean Look right before the enemy falls asleep. EQ is definately a must. Return is duh. So the last move... Night Slash or Aerial Ace?

Think about the last 2.
I know they have 70 / 60 base power, but wouldn't they deal a good amount of damage based on Slaking's attack? Or are they better used by an Adamant Slaking? Or not at all because each is only super effective on 2 / 3 types?

And Jonatron is right about Giga Impact and Choice Band. I want to avoid an "Oh crap" situation.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: thankz to pikachu420, HTP, solidraiden, and zombie for the sprites
??? which turn is that?

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The Jonatron wrote:
??? which turn is that?

Giga Impact recharge.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

1. slaking uses return and KO's the opposing pokemon. the opponent sends out something that can beat slaking. so you switch to something else on the next turn.

2. slaking uses giga-impact and KO's the opposing pokemon. the opponent sends out something that can beat slaking. now you cant switch. you're a sitting duck.

i mean its just the old argument about whether to use giga-impact or not. if youre planning to just keep your slaking out until he dies (like a lot of inexperienced battlers do), then go with giga-impact - its more powerful. but if youre using slaking just to do a hit-and-run every now and then (which is what he's best for) then go with return or maybe double edge.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:54 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Double Edge? I suppose that w/ leftovers recoil won't matter much.

I thought for a second about Toxic Orb and Facade, but I quickly slapped myself in the face.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ice_Ball22 wrote:
The Jonatron wrote:
??? which turn is that?

Giga Impact recharge.

Errr...am I missing anything here? Cos Giga Impact for Slaking doesn't need to Recharge...right? This I'm 100% sure cos I got to Giga Impact right after the Truant turn. :?

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:42 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

Yeah, you'd recharge on the Truant turn. BUT THIS SET COMES NO WHERE CLOSE TO MY TOXI-STALLER FROSLASS IN BAD-NESS. That Froslass is officially the worst moveset ever on the net.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:58 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, you'd recharge on the Truant turn. BUT THIS SET COMES NO WHERE CLOSE TO MY TOXI-STALLER FROSLASS IN BAD-NESS. That Froslass is officially the worst moveset ever on the net.

wow... i cant believe you take such pride in such a... (bleh i cant think of a word... phail at english) :|

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

MissingNo_Is_My_Friend wrote:
Ice_Ball22 wrote:
The Jonatron wrote:
??? which turn is that?

Giga Impact recharge.

Errr...am I missing anything here? Cos Giga Impact for Slaking doesn't need to Recharge...right? This I'm 100% sure cos I got to Giga Impact right after the Truant turn. :?
I'm told that normally you can switch out on the truant turn, but if you used giga impact you cannot because of the recharge properties.

If you'd try to switch out, you'd get an idea.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Hit-N-Run Guerrilla (!new nickname!) tactics. That's what I'll do.

Focus Punch if enemy is asleep
EQ if enemy is weak to it
Double Edge if enemy is not Ghost/Rock/Steel
Night Slash if enemy is Ghost/Psychic

And um, I'm switching Leftovers for a Choice Scarf.

So...
{slaking} + Choice Scarf
Jolly - Truant
252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP
Focus Punch
EQ
Double-Edge
Night Slash

BP Mean Look and Yawn in, attack, switch out. Repeat.

How's it sound?

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next