It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Reign of Special Sweepers 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I was sitting down, thinking about the metagame of Pokemon (I know, I have no life, :P ) and suddenly realised; what is there that stops Special Sweepers from reigning havoc across the metagame?

If I slightly changed the question and left out the Special and replaced it for physical, you could think up a number of answers.

But the real answer for that question is Blissey.

On another forum, there was a hypothetical situation whereby Blissey suddenly got teleported to Ubers, and OU became Blisseyless. What would the repurcutions of such an act be?

The idea of this thread is to think about the metagame without Blisssey, and see what sort of ideas we can come up with.

For a start, there would be a mass influx of Regice users, seeing as it has the second best Spdef (not counting the stupid Shuckle.) and yet it has a major weakness; its typage. It has all those weaknesses, plus Srock weakness and no immunities, (which is the reason why it isn't as godly as Blissey, aside from the stats) and perhaps the usage of SRock would vastly increase?

As a result, perhaps the number of Rapid Spinners on Regice user's teams would also increase, ending up with more Ghost Pokemon running about to counter this.

As I said, this is a highly hypothetical situation, and perhaps, in wondering what a metagame would be like without Blissey, we might discover new (or forgotten) ways of decimating teams after killing Blissey off...?

So yeah, post away with your thoughts on this topic. :)

EDIT: THat just made my postcount 1337. Not that I follow my post count...:P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Possibly Umby? If you maxed his Sp Def and HP. And maybe even Dusknoir, with that 405 Max Sp Def, but the downside is his HP.

I think a number of your average mixed tanks could pick up the slack, like the 3 I stated. Idk how well they could do though.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:34 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

How many Pokemon can learn Swords Dance, Earthquake, and Stone Edge? There's like an insane amount.

Now how many Pokemon have the stats AND the movepool to be Special Sweepers? Special Sweepers aren't more popular because there aren't a lot of Pokemon who can be good Special Sweepers, Alakazam, Gengar, Starmie, and PorygonZ come to mind, but Zam and occasionaly Gengar are Choice item users, which aren't technically sweepers. Same with Specsmence, it's a hit and run Pokemon, rarely a full out sweeper.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:37 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

maybe Suicune @ Calm, Dusknior @ Careful, Milotic @ Calm, Uxie @ Calm (larger Special Movepool)

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

So using Chansey instead of Blissey is out of the question?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

How many Pokemon can learn Swords Dance, Earthquake, and Stone Edge? There's like an insane amount.

Now how many Pokemon have the stats AND the movepool to be Special Sweepers? Special Sweepers aren't more popular because there aren't a lot of Pokemon who can be good Special Sweepers, Alakazam, Gengar, Starmie, and PorygonZ come to mind, but Zam and occasionaly Gengar are Choice item users, which aren't technically sweepers. Same with Specsmence, it's a hit and run Pokemon, rarely a full out sweeper.

My point isn't the amount of sweepers. Yes, there are more Pokemon that have access to Physical sweeping moves, but it's the fact that there is only one Pokemon that springs to mind when you say 'Special Wall.' It can't be denied that special sweepers are kept in check by Blissey's high HP and Spdef, and without it, Special Sweepers would be able to sweep away a hell of a lot of things.

Oh, and Snorlax is good, but does fail in comparison to Blissey's staying power. Yes, it has higher attack, but it still increases the importance of the special Pokemon's power in the metagame.

Quote:
So using Chansey instead of Blissey is out of the question?
Hm, hadn't thought of that. I beleive that Chansey is currently in BL, am I right?

And also, by trying to make up POkemon that act like Blissey, you neglect their other traits; maxing out Spdef and HP means that you leave no room for attack (as is sometimes vital on a Noir) and perhaps defence.

So, while you have your blissey replacement, they will also be left floundering by the physical aspect.

This topic was really started off by someone saying that you could just have a whole team of special sweepers, save for one physical scarfer (I can't remember who said it,) and it got me thinking about just how centralising Blissey is to the metagame.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:27 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Quote:
So, while you have your blissey replacement, they will also be left floundering by the physical aspect.

Doesn't Blissey get Destroyed by Physical Attacks as well?

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:31 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

No, give it a Bold nature and 252 defense Effort Values and it can survive a Heracross's BB if it gets a low random number in damage calculation.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]