It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Step aside, Ninjask: Driblim Discussion 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The usual Ninjask uses Speed Boost and Sword's Dance to Baton Pass some wicked stat changes to physical sweepers, but it's only effective for physical sweepers, not to mention everybody knows that strategy as soon as they see the little bugger.

So I say that the special sweepers get some help from Drifblim.

{drifblim} + Lum Berry
Bold/Careful - Unburden
252 HP 129 Def 129 SpDef
Rest
Recycle
Calm Mind
Baton Pass

The unburden ability raises Drifblim's speed every time it uses it's Lum Berry, which is quite a lot when you bring it back with Recycle multiple times.
Calm Mind, Rest, Recycle until Drifblim's SpDef, SpAtk, and Spd are maxed out, then Baton Pass to the Special Attacker waiting in your party.

The big downside, this Drifblim has no attack moves of it's own. If you're lucky you could outlast the enemy while they Struggle themself to death, but that rarely happens.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: On the left side of the street... Take THAT Society!
Decent, but Drifblim has a better all-around move: stockpile. In 4th gen, it increases both defenses, so after 3 it can safely pass to almost any sweeper. It could work wonders with a Starmie with recovery, for instance.

With all the hard pysical hitters in this game, your Drifblim can't stand up to anything with Swords Dance or Dragon Dance, or anything it passes to. If you want this set to stand a chance, 252 Def EV's plz.

And are you sure that it makes it go up 1 level each time you use Recycle?

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=bulkywaters <- Go

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Drifblim's #1 purpose, thanks to his huge HP, is to pass Substitutes. Because of Petaya Berry and Unburden, he could also be used as a Special sweeper in a pinch. Other than that, he doesn't have much besides usable SA/Speed and a unique typing that provides a handful of immunities and resistances to balance out his horrid Defenses.

There are two main flaws with the set listed in the first post: first of all, there are no attacking moves. What if, by chance, Drifblim is your last Pokemon? It sits there doing nothing until it gets knocked out. The other problem is that using Drifblim as a tank is laughable due to his base 44/54 Defensive stats. Even if you get some Defense boosts up before it dies, Drifblim has no way to heal itself and a Critical Hit will still pop him in one hit.

If I were to use Drifblim, I would probably use the following set to take advantage of his strengths:

{drifblim} @ Petaya Berry
Timid/Hasty - Unburden
EVs: make HP divisible by four; put the rest in SA/Speed
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt/Explosion
Substitute
Baton Pass

The first order of business is to get that Substitute up. Then you have two options, particularly if Petaya Berry is activated. You can attempt to use Drifblim as a special sweeper due to boosts from Petaya Berry and Unburden, or you can pass Drifblim's SA boost and Substitute to another Pokemon instead. Drifblim also has the ability to blow up if needed, but you'd be better off with a Hasty nature in that case so you don't hinder Drifblim's physical Attack.

Also, this will now become the official Drifblim topic as per the new Pokemon Analysis system I am trying to implement.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:02 pm
stockpile
swallow
explosion
t bolt

items at random i like leftovers though

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
I think the idea is a good one, but Drifblim does have sucky defenses. It also does need an attacking move, but that would sort of ruin your strategy.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:08 pm
Profile YIM
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Something to be considered is charge beam - that way, you can either pass 2 (or 3 if you're lucky) stage special attack boosts, or 1 special boost + 1 speed boost (salac berry)

Drifblim @Salac berry
Timid/Hasty - Unburden
EVs: HP divisible by 4, the rest into mostly speed
~Substitute
~Stockpile/Shadow Ball/Explosion
~Charge Beam
~Baton Pass

Be wary of ice shard in Donphan, Weavile, and Manmoswine, as they will take off a good chunk before you can get off that sub.

Keep in mind - Electric + Ghost only has a few resists - Magneton, Steelix, thats it that comes to mind.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, I tinkered around with the set. And the Unburden doesn't visibly raise the speed the way I thought it would. It works the same as Rivalry for raising attack, which means the stat boost can't be Baton Passed.

So the speed pass idea is busted... :cry:

But passing substitutes you say... Sounds like fun!

Good news is that Rest + Recycle combo can be learned by a lot of tanks, so at least that strategy isn't out the window.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I have a question. Does Pursuit work with Baton Pass?

If it does, then Scizor, Metagross, Spiritomb, Aerodactyl, Heracross, Tyranitar and Weavile all spell the end of this set.

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:17 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've stalled with rest/recycle successfully. I think holding lum with unburden is still useful, like switching in on a status getting a speed boost then subbing. ect.

I personally think it should run thunderbolt over charge beam. Taunt will stop baton passing (which according to my sources doesn't activate pursuit's effect) And haze will undo stat boosts, but taunters and hazers and skarm for the most part don't like electric.

Problem being getting enough electric damage in, so I think if nothing else, thunderbolt is a viable option to charge beam.

But, eh what do I know. My first two driftblims were flops. Every time the passes got through it made a huge difference, but it was just too constricting to have to wait for the opportunity.

Those subs are still all kinds of awesome, over 100hp even with 0 ivs/evs

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hypnosis, unless no one finds it useful here.

Hypnosis
Substitute
Charge Beam/Shadow Ball
Baton Pass

If you can predict that they'll switch in a counter, use Hypnosis to catch them on the switch, then hopefully set up a Sub when they switch out to something else and if you're faster, pull off the Baton Pass.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If you wanna set up a Baton Pass for Special Sweepers than I vote for Espeon or Togekiss...Drifblim easily gets KOed in 1 hit if it's unlucky and even if it survives it won't have the turns to Recycle. Togekiss with Agility and Nasty Plot works great as Togekiss can be reconstructed as a Tanker...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:13 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If the Baton Passer moves before the Pursuiter, the Pursuit will hit the BPasser with double damage. If the Pursuiter goes first, it will do normal damage. Same with U-Turn I think.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:58 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:

If the Baton Passer moves before the Pursuiter, the Pursuit will hit the BPasser with double damage. If the Pursuiter goes first, it will do normal damage. Same with U-Turn I think.
How sure are you? Because I heard that baton pass is safe, and U-turn only gets hit by it if you're faster than the pursuiter.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

sanjay120 wrote:
Quote:

How sure are you? Because I heard that baton pass is safe, and U-turn only gets hit by it if you're faster than the pursuiter.

It might only work for U-Turn. I'm not sure.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]