Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

@ Life Orb/Silk Scarf | Jolly
252 Atk/Spe, 4 HP
Swords Dance
Return
Close Combat
Shadow Claw/Fire Punch

Set up with SD then attack (duh!). If you want to choose between SC and FP, think about this: SC - hurts Ghosts ; FP - can hurt Steels, but most likely since you use CC you might want to stick with Shadow Claw, unless you fear Brongzong and Grasses.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

generally, I think focus sash is an almost-must, being that Zangoose is pretty fragile as well. Zangoose wouldn't mind some BPed speed either. This set reminds me of SDLucario, which, in my opinion, is superior to Zangoose thanks to Extremespeed and STAB Close Combat, but I digress.

Another variation of Zangoose would be slapping on choice scarf to fix up its average speed and going with return/CC/shadow claw/fire or ice punch.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Focus Sash shouldn't be used as Hippowdon is now appearing along with Abomasnow and their weather will make your Focus Sash almost useless.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:55 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Shadow Claw is a must on that set. Just think of Dusknoir and you'll get what i mean...

Also, here's a choice set:

Zangoose @ Choice Band/Scarf
Jolly - Immunity
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
~ Return
~ Close Combat
~ Shadow Claw
~ Ice Punch

Return for STAB, CC for coverage, Shadow Claw for Ghosts and Psychics and Ice Punch for dragons, flyings, grasses and grounds (Hippowdon, Gliscor, Donphan etc.) The preferred item here is choice band, but i guess you can go with scarf too, if you want to surprise your opponent and outspeed Weaviles, Aerodactyles and common scarfed pokemon such as Hera and Chomp.

EDIT: Forgot to say, if you are going with Scarf, you can drop Jolly nature for Adamant if you don't mind loosing a little Speed.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

not 100% recommending Focus sash, but if you want to have a dancing Zangoose, it's going to die to sandstorm, faster opponents, or the "poke it gently" method via priority moves.

SoD (if you don't mind being abbreviated xD), Quick Attack w/ choice band can have a similar effect of CBGross and bullet punch. It's going to deal plenty of damage (barring resistances/immunities) and can finish off weakened and faster opponents. Of course, this suggestion would be useless if you plan to BP some speed and maybe a substitute.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
Why is Return suggested over Crush Claw? Its accuracy is 95% which isn't bad. And it has a chance of lowering the opponents defense. Or does Return have enough power to KO an opponent without lowering the opponents defense?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 pm
Profile YIM
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

gamer guy wrote:
Why is Return suggested over Crush Claw? Its accuracy is 95% which isn't bad. And it has a chance of lowering the opponents defense. Or does Return have enough power to KO an opponent without lowering the opponents defense?

Return is more favorable as its base power is measured in friendship, maxing out at 102 base power. Crush Claw is good, but with a base power of 75, it falls short of the advantages of Return.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:56 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Focus sash is probably a must. Zangoose is far to weak in terms of its defenses.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:39 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Sapphirath wrote:
Focus sash is probably a must. Zangoose is far to weak in terms of its defenses.

Quote:
Focus Sash shouldn't be used as Hippowdon is now appearing along with Abomasnow and their weather will make your Focus Sash almost useless.

That, and Tyranitar is used far too much for it to be viable. Also, Stealth Rock / Spikes also screw up that 'wonderful' sash. It's a nice idea, but unlikely that you'll be able to pull it off, unless you lead with it (and according to Shoddy statistics, it'll be encountering a lot of Gyarados leads, so Intimidate will screw you right up.)

I know it's contradictory, but you could lead with a Endure (or Focus Sash) / Flail set, with Focus punch for enemies that you think will switch or have a resistant typing (Rock / steel.) However, the points above also ruin this idea.

I suppose that's the risk you take when you choose to train something with such awful defences. A varied movepool and a gift in the form of Normal Typing is all this Pokemon has got going for it. Oh, and a bet to see who can make it to OU against Seviper, and is currently winning.

You could also consider a Choice Scarf set, but that locks you into moves (lol, really?) which could be counter productive as this thing won't be switching in and out easily against attacks.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If he's using a Zangoose I believe he won't be fighting Tyranitars. This Pokemon certainly isn't OU. :)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Sapphirath wrote:
If he's using a Zangoose I believe he won't be fighting Tyranitars. This Pokemon certainly isn't OU. :)

Quote:
Set up with SD then attack (duh!). If you want to choose between SC and FP, think about this: SC - hurts Ghosts ; FP - can hurt Steels, but most likely since you use CC you might want to stick with Shadow Claw, unless you fear Brongzong and Grasses.

Nope, definately not going to be used in OU, considering the creator of the topic referenced an OU Poke. :)

And some people like to use UU / BL pokes in OU, because it's a challenge. Hell, I do. Woot, Ledian!

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:18 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

How about this.....

{zangoose} @Life Orb
Jolly
Close Combat
Return
Pursuit/Night Slash
Ice Punch

Zangoose's base speed is 90 right, it outspeeds Heatran and some more OUs, it ties with Lucario w/ base 90 speed, Jolly nature makes Zan faster than a Luke w/o a +speed nature so, it can OKHO T-tar w/ CC, OKHO Azelf w/ Pursuit(providing it switches out). Outspeeds and OKHO's Togekiss w/ Ice Punch and Dragonite providing it hasn't DDed. It murders Heatran w/o a Choice Scarf(I think) I think that's all :?

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nice try backing your argument, since non-Scarfed Heatran will die to CC 50% and all the time and TTar dies all the time. Dragonite still dies to Ice Punch, but all these three are hard to switch Zangoose in. And without an attack boost from a positive nature and no Swords Dance, combined with undeniable speed issues, Zangoose still fails to the rest:

Azelf is not going to switch out, but if you switch in Zangoose without any repercussions, your foe might be suspecting scarf I guess.

Name one Lucario that wouldn't have @Salac Berry, Extremespeed, or Vacuum Wave. 'nuff said.

With only a Life Orb boost, Togekiss is a 2HKO from Ice Punch, while Zangoose will be KOed by Aura Sphere.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I guess I should've done some calculs :P

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:16 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
And some people like to use UU / BL pokes in OU, because it's a challenge. Hell, I do. Woot, Ledian!

I second that! *raises hand in favour of Ledian*

Okay, on topic.

I guess last set for Zangoose is the one that used a friend of mine (which is not that bad). But his had Pursuit and not Night Slash, becuase Night Slash + [Elemental Punch] is illegal... and I don't think I have to explain why is it illegal.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Pursuit? How well did it work? I wouldn't think that the likes of Azelf, Alakazam, and Gengar would switch out. Granted, Gengar might be locked into specs/scarf Shadow Ball, so it would have to switch out, but Azelf and Alakazam wouldn't be KOed by it (very slight change for 'Zam with rocks up). Shadow Claw can be a nice substitution, should night slash be unfavorable.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]