It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 a Paticualy noobish question 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i put it here cause it is about EVs. how do they work exactly. one stratigy guide says they work as you lvl up your pokemon. here it says you can use EVs at lvl 100. can someone help me make sence of the EVs.

i'm silver not gold (darn)

92% of all competitive battlers think that Skarm, Bliss, a Gengar and a good 'Chomp is all you need to own things. If you're in the 8% who value creative thinking and originality with your teams, put this in you signature.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:12 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

There is a very detailed EV/DV guide on the main site. You should read it.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:26 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

EVs

DVs

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:02 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

ok i sorta got it. so as you lvl up your EVs increase once you max out an EV and reach lvl 100 its more apparent. but still i have a question. I want to ev train my pokemon now. but i still don't get half of it. if that helps what if you just battle random pokemon to gain the EVs dose it suck or dose it come off more of a balanced pokemon. and once it reaches lvl 100 and you don't have maxed EVs can you gain them still.

92% of all competitive battlers think that Skarm, Bliss, a Gengar and a good 'Chomp is all you need to own things. If you're in the 8% who value creative thinking and originality with your teams, put this in you signature.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

These are the Pokemon that you have to battle(and then faint) to get certain EVs

Also at lv100 you cannot EV Train unless you use an AR.

<AngrySparrow> No

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:48 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Roar you answered one of them an TY but my other one is would it highly matter if you don't particulary ev train a pokemon (like wene you play the Single mode than use them later)

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

EV trained pokemon preform much better than non-EV trained pokemon so EV trained pokemon as much better. So it would matter.

<AngrySparrow> No

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:59 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Just playing through the game, EVs are not of any real importance. The average player isn't even "supposed" to know about them - they're never explained in-game. While EV training certainly gives your Pokemon the upper hand, the Pokemon you'll face in the course of the game are easily defeated even with a random EV assortment. The game was designed so that they could be.

Battling against other people is a different story - check out Youtube to get a feel of how different it is. If you ever plan to use the Pokes competetively, they had better be EV trained at the very least.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:04 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

ah thanks for clearing that up. but if lets say you didn't know about them till you went here and your pokemon you're training is like lvl 36 if i start training them now would it be inpacted DEEPLY or no. for i am making a team and want to ev train them now i know how to.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:46 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

At level 36, you've probably already distributed all their effort values. As the guide explains, you only get 510 total to distribute among your stats - so after a certain point, your stat growth is set in stone.

In short, you have to start from scratch to EV train effectively - either freshly caught or freshly bred. I recommend you finish the game with your non-EV trained team, then focus on building your ideal EV-trained team. That will make things easier, as you'll have powerful pokemon to use the Exp Share with to make EV training easier, and you'll be able to go anywhere to do it. You'll also be able to pick up the various items that accelerate EV gaining (those are probably mentioned in the guide) in the Battle Tower.

Good luck, and have fun. :)

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

how you know what your DVs are. that might help a bit. but accorting to what i got from the stats calculator i only used like 60 evs on my espeone

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:14 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Like in any equation, you have to know all the variables but the one you're trying to find in order to solve it. What that means in Pokemon terms is, you can't know your DVs (also commonly called IVs - same thing) unless you know EVs, stats, nature, and of course level. Likewise, figuring out your EVs requires knowing DVs, stats, nature, and level. So quick answer - your level 30-somethings are absolutely not usable in EV training now. I'm sorry.

However, when you catch or breed something later on and want to know its IVs to see if it's good, use the calculator at the link below. There are instructions at the bottom of the page that will tell you all you need to know about using it.

http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Online ... rs/IV.aspx

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:11 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thank you for your help everyone. Two more questions then i'm done (this be great if this was sticky cause it help us noobs if we have a question). if you fully EV train a pokemon is it all right to use rarecandys to lvl up completly. and finaly do wild pokemon at like lvl 12 have EVs.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:03 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Wild Pokemon do not have EVs. If you've fully EV Trained a Pokemon, you can lv it up with rare candy, battling etc.

<AngrySparrow> No

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:23 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thank you all for helping me. the info has helped me better understand EVs. i should be done but i still have a question. but i think i have the answer. once again Thank you so much for helping me.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have a question. Let's say you caught LV 12 Dragonair and trained to Lv 40, did it get EVs at all?

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:20 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

depends how you lvled it. if by battleing and useing exp share then yes. rarecandies no.
oh and there should be an ev tracker on here that you can print off. but its just as easy to make one at home.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:22 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

johnwolf wrote:
oh and there should be an ev tracker on here that you can print off. but its just as easy to make one at home.

There is one. It only has the Sinnoh 151 though, but since those are the ones that are most often encountered in the game, it is useful.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:37 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

thank you didn't see that lol.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

ok time for a quick bump. i want to know how exactly do you breed DVs. i hear that you can do this alot on this board can.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]