Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Luxaray @ Light clay
Intimidate

Light screen
Charge
Discharge/Spark
coverage move

What do you think?? Light screen and Charge should make it a special wall.. And becouse of Charge the next electric attack will compensate the damage it could have done before.. But Luxray isnt very bulky or very speedy to set up the screen first..

But anyway this is just a research.. Do youn think Light screen/Reflect + defense upping move is a good idea?? With this set Luxray has 3 times more sp. defense after two turns.. I could invest all the EV's to defense and hp, but then Luxray becomes very frail on the special side.. If I equal the defenses, the, after those two turns, it becomes more unbalanced, than it would be with 252def, 2552hp spread..

I hope I pointed it out clearly.. What do you think?? Of course it doesnt have to be a Luxaray, its just, that I was thinking about a Luxray for some time now and came up with this..

Comments please.. :violin:

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:36 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Try spark
Luxray {luxray}
has a great Attack
throw in Ice fang to take out ground threats

But I would suggest
Ampharos {ampharos}
instead as it has better defensive stats
And teach it Thunder bolt and Hidden power(Ice) instead

Or if you can,
use Zapdos {zapdos}
as It does everything amphros does only better
just Have a steel type Hidden power instead

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's a nice concept, but Luxray isn't the best candidate for the job. It can work in a UU environment, but in OU, it's gonna have a much harder time. Most of the time though, there are better, more solid choices. There are other good Pokemon with Light Screen/Reflect and a stat-up move. Calm Mind Bronzong/Jirachi/Cresselia are some examples. Luxray is mostly used as an attacker, with its good attack base stat.

If you want to try your set, you'd want to take advantage of the fact that it has the Intimidate ability; give it 252 HP and 252 Def with a bold nature. This way, when you factor in Intimidate's attack drop, it makes it survive longer. Idk about using a turn to use Charge. It's just that you're already taking two turns to set up, and

1. You're not uberly fast or anything, so they're gonna hammer you for the first 1-2 turns.

2. You don't have a reliable way to recover damage, making it hard to keep the gains that you earn.

3. You're not that fast, so you might have to take a 3rd hit before hitting them back.

4. Although your electric attack is doubled (for one turn), it probably won't offset the loss of spending 2-3 turns of setup.

5. It kinda forces you to use an electric attack, because otherwise, you would have (sorta) wasted a turn.

That's the problems I see with the set. Then again, you never know...it might work. Try it out anyway and see.

/vXv\ wrote:
Or if you can,
use Zapdos {zapdos}
as It does everything amphros does only better
just Have a steel type Hidden power instead

Why would you give it Hidden Power steel...? Hidden Power ice or grass are clearly better options.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:27 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Yeah those are the problems I thought of too..

I thought right now that sub passing would really help to set up, when creating a team, I want every pokemon to be usable on its own..

Another thing that might help is Thunderwave.. With it Luxray will be virtually faster and the opponent may not attack sometimes..

Well, as always, Im looking more for the disscussion , not looking for help.. But thanks anyway..

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Steel (or fighting) because even though thunder bolt doesn't hurt ground (which is normally the only threat to electric) zapdos is safe from ground. As a flying type zapdos is weak to rock and Ice, both are weak to steel/fight. but if want to be able to attack every thing I'd use HP(Ice)

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

HP Grass covers those Ground threats pretty well (can anyone say Stone Edge Swampert?) and hits lots of stuff that resists Ice. Chances are you've got seventeen other ice attacks on your team anyway. For that matter, use U-Turn for scouting.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Can you say Flygon, Garchomp ect?

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

sixyearold wrote:
Well, as always, Im looking more for the disscussion , not looking for help.. But thanks anyway..

Well what exactly do you want me to say? You asked me what I thought of it, and I gave my comments on the strategy. I even suggested other pokemon with screens and stat-up moves over Luxray. Discussing is technically helping. :?

As for Thunder Wave, that's good, but I wouldn't suggest it on the same Luxray with Charge and Light Screen (there's just no room/time left). You should have an annoyer/statuser, so later Luxray can come in and stat-up without fear.

Eh, I don't have a lot of experience with sub passing, but from my experience they don't work amazingly well, because the pokemon using the sub is a little too...narrow-minded...they can't do as much other than pass subs. Yeah, I wouldn't suggest them. They're great when they work though.

If you were to use them though, would you use a speedy subpasser, meaning less HP subs, or would you use a bulky subpasser, meaning more HP subs? This question is open to anyone, btw.

/vXv\ wrote:
Steel (or fighting) because even though thunder bolt doesn't hurt ground (which is normally the only threat to electric) zapdos is safe from ground. As a flying type zapdos is weak to rock and Ice, both are weak to steel/fight. but if want to be able to attack every thing I'd use HP(Ice)

Rock and ice aren't the only types who know those moves i.e. lots of grounds know rock attacks, and lots of water types know ice attacks.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:23 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

/vXv\ wrote:
Can you say Flygon, Garchomp ect?

HP Ice is not your method for dealing with them. 9_9

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

@Volke
Sorry, Im new to these boards and I dont feel very comfortable here yet..:] So I was just trying to point it out, not only for you but for everyone whos reading and willing to post.. Thats basicly becouse I dont play much right now.. I only try to come up with ideas, sets and so on.. And Im not familliar with the metagame, so I just try working out movesets wich would be simly good on their own and Id like them to have a synergy with the rest of the team (light screen)..

And i might mess up things becouse I need to sleep more..

About the sub.. Well, if Im passing on a bulky pokemon, it would be good to have a bigger sub, becouse the sub uses stats of the newly swithced in pokemon after beeing passed.. But it all depends I think.. Its cool to have a bulky sub and speed at the same time - check out Drifblim with unburden ability..

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]