It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Suggestions Box 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'm not sure if I have the authority to do this, but seeing as I floundered my way into being responsible for this place, I have come to feel that I am obligated (to an extension) to appeal to Battle Tower's posters and make you guys happy.

So!

I've decided to make this thread here to let you guys voice your two bits on Battle Tower. Give me any and all suggestions for improvements, new ideas, or heck, even complete overhauls.

I'm adding a list of our goals for the BT forum, so that we can keep track of everything. Also, I'm going to sticky it so we can maybe get some more response.

-EP

A list of things that need to be done
Update Rater's Test Completed Tue Feb 17, 2009 by EvilPenguin
Overhaul Rating Center to reduce backlog and fix up rules Completed Sat Feb 21, 2009 by EvilPenguin
Schedule a possible official WiFi/ShoddyBattle Tournament
Update Tier List Last Updated Tue Feb 10, 2009 by Registeel_Rocks
Update Suggested movesets thread
Update all old NetBattle threads to make them ShoddyBattle friendly Completed Sat Mar 7, 2009 by EvilPenguin

List updated last: Sat Mar 7, 2009 by EvilPenguin

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Update the suggested movesets thread (yes I know its in victory road but its for competitive battling, so blargh) - for one, it doesnt have anything from platinum tutors and such, for another, the sets really kinda sucked even before platinum (sorry tiger :( )

On a similar note, update the tier lists, either with the one smogon currently uses, or possibly doing our own testing (seriously, use smogon)

Finally, and please don't shoot me when I say this, but official wifi/shoddy tournament meebe plez? *shot*

Oh, and GARCHOMP EEZ NAWT UU0BER ITZ B NEVARUZED BAAAAAAAAAAAW

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'd like the rating center to be improved to be more of a sub fourm where each team would be it's own thread. So there can be more than just a single rate and discussion of said teams would be much easier.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22286
Here's a thread I made last May for it,

EvilPenguin wrote:
Finally, and please don't shoot me when I say this, but official wifi/shoddy tournament meebe plez?

I want's a wi-fi tourney too. I'd do it myself but I have nothing to offer as a prize until psybucks are re-instated.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:48 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Actually, I was thinking it would be a better idea to do this on shoddy than wifi, because then we wouldn't have it drag on for six months, rather it could finish in about a week if that.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:06 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, wi-fis do take a quite a while.. I don't have shoddy though and I have no urge to really get it. >.<

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:12 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

EvilPenguin wrote:
Update the suggested movesets thread (yes I know its in victory road but its for competitive battling, so blargh) - for one, it doesnt have anything from platinum tutors and such, for another, the sets really kinda sucked even before platinum (sorry tiger :(

Reasons for that may have been that tiger did the whole thing on his own (iirc.) On another site, I'm heading a project that allows members to suggest sets, and then work on those sets to better it all. It's faster than assigning the whole job to one person, and also causes lots of original ideas being thrown about. It's going pretty well.

But yeah, just looking at the sets, they are...dated. Not even a Bellyzard set. ;-;

Also loving the sub forum idea for the rating section. It's clearly a popular thread, and having a thread per team would allow lots of raters to give their opinions on it, whereas at the moment, one rater responds and that's the team sorted. =/

(Like the thread idea~)

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:47 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
Reasons for that may have been that tiger did the whole thing on his own (iirc.) On another site, I'm heading a project that allows members to suggest sets, and then work on those sets to better it all. It's faster than assigning the whole job to one person, and also causes lots of original ideas being thrown about. It's going pretty well.

Since that thread is in Victory Road, I really have no jurisdiction over it. If you guys desire it, I would be willing to ask administration of they'd move the thread here and allow anyone to work on it like you said it's done on your project.

MasterChef wrote:
I'd like the rating center to be improved to be more of a sub forum where each team would be it's own thread. So there can be more than just a single rate and discussion of said teams would be much easier.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
Also loving the sub forum idea for the rating section. It's clearly a popular thread, and having a thread per team would allow lots of raters to give their opinions on it, whereas at the moment, one rater responds and that's the team sorted. =/

I'm really sorry guys, but as far as team rates go, I do not realistically see them getting their own sub-forum. It's been made clear before as to why (best example is in that thread of yours, MasterChef; Frost's points were very solid), so I won't go into that again.

The most I can see being possible is me scrapping the current Rating Center thread and creating a new one, possibly with new rules on rating and adding more raters. I would really like solid support for a new system before attempting to create it, however.

As for tournaments, sure, that seems pretty manageable. I'm unsure how a Shoddy tournament would go, seeing as I don't dabble in that, but I'm certain some tournaments would be manageable. Would we want our own chat room for official tournaments, then? I imagine it'd make them go smoother when the tournament day comes.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh well, worth a shot.

I do support a new rating center thread at the least. Though there's one thing I'd like to see added to the requirement for posting a team...

A written multi-sentence summary for each poke.
Why it's there, what it does, why a certain EV spread, what is it set to counter, etc... just so it would make rates a bit easier for those rating.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Since that thread is in Victory Road, I really have no jurisdiction over it. If you guys desire it, I would be willing to ask administration of they'd move the thread here and allow anyone to work on it like you said it's done on your project.

Yeah, I like that idea, I think that would be best, working on what we have, and editting it, rather than scrapping it and then making a whole new one.

Quote:
I'm really sorry guys, but as far as team rates go, I do not realistically see them getting their own sub-forum. It's been made clear before as to why (best example is in that thread of yours, MasterChef; Frost's points were very solid), so I won't go into that again.

Ooh, what thread's that, I wouldn't mind having a gander at that. ^^;

Quote:
The most I can see being possible is me scrapping the current Rating Center thread and creating a new one, possibly with new rules on rating and adding more raters. I would really like solid support for a new system before attempting to create it, however.

Sounds like a plan to me. Perhaps there could be more of an emphasis on people putting the required details in it (I mean, take the most recent team rate - No EVs, or explanation as to what each Pokemon do.) I really agree with Masterchef, that there has to be an explanation of each Pokemon, otherwise, it makes the job for the raters infinitely more difficult.

(Also, I'll take this opportunity to point out that I'd love to apply to be a new rater if/when the new board is up. =D)

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:13 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Registeel_Rocks wrote:
As for tournaments, sure, that seems pretty manageable. I'm unsure how a Shoddy tournament would go, seeing as I don't dabble in that, but I'm certain some tournaments would be manageable. Would we want our own chat room for official tournaments, then? I imagine it'd make them go smoother when the tournament day comes.

It'd be just like the wi-fi tournament, except people without wi-fi/who have problems connecting could join in, too.

The wi-fi tournament was great, and it helps you to get to know some of the other members. It was fun because a lot of people were involved doing things like betting, battling, etc.

If the wi-fi tournament did take place again though, it would NEED more than three days per round. Most people don't come online every day, and during the week, it can be hard to arrange a battle, since theres people who live in timezones with huge gaps (Australia to California for example).

But I agree, it should take place again. :x

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

MasterChef wrote:

Why it's there, what it does, why a certain EV spread, what is it set to counter, etc... just so it would make rates a bit easier for those rating.

This, I have to agree with. That is one of my main problems when trying to rate, you sometimes can't tell what they want from a Pokémon, or why they even have it there.

Image Image
And Umberia from Afonso. Click my sig if you want one like it

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:57 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Another suggestion I have would be to unsticky all the old netbattle threads and upgrade the netbattle log thread to include/encourage the posting of shoddy logs.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
(Also, I'll take this opportunity to point out that I'd love to apply to be a new rater if/when the new board is up. =D)

Likewise :D

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:34 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I have another idea for the Rating Centre. I know it sounds mean, but have a min post count, because alot ofthem post there, and no where else, and a few I think don't even check the answer, meaning the rater has wasted time. It doesn't need to be a large number, a min of 5 posts will do.

Image Image
And Umberia from Afonso. Click my sig if you want one like it

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

conman2k8 wrote:
MasterChef wrote:

This, I have to agree with. That is one of my main problems when trying to rate, you sometimes can't tell what they want from a Pokémon, or why they even have it there.

I, too, second this notion. It was generally a major turn-off for me, because it took THAT much longer to rate. I want to give good/decent advice, so I end up having to research the entire team (looking at base stats and movepools). I already do that regardless of whether a summary exists, but it makes it easier if I know what they plan to do with it. It also makes unique movesets more believable, showing that you've had experience with it, or at least that there's a sound strategy behind your choice.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:37 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Can you maybe not lock so many threads? * Cough Cough Beat Me, Win a Deoxys Cough Cough*

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:33 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

conman2k8 wrote:
I have another idea for the Rating Centre. I know it sounds mean, but have a min post count, because alot ofthem post there, and no where else, and a few I think don't even check the answer, meaning the rater has wasted time. It doesn't need to be a large number, a min of 5 posts will do.

At times I kinda want this for the entire battle tower forum... >.>

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:10 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The Rating Center has now been updated and can be found here. Feel free to comment on it in this topic.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Cactuar wrote:
Can you maybe not lock so many threads? * Cough Cough Beat Me, Win a Deoxys Cough Cough*

No. If people want stuff from you, they can PM you for it.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

EvilPenguin wrote:
The Rating Center has now been updated and can be found here. Feel free to comment on it in this topic.

Woo!!1!11

It looks much improved over the previous one. One thing if I can suggest adding to the rules:
If the OP wants to discuss a moveset suggestion or idea more in-depth after their rate they are allowed to reply once in the rating thread, but any further discussion after that should be encouraged to be done via PM or in a separate topic.

Also, I cant find the pancakes anywhere... :oops:

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:43 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The Pancake Crisis has been resolved. There should be no more cause for worry, as long as the maple syrup doesn't run out.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think it's a great forum, being that I like to battle people. But no one lets you use legendaries in the battles! Is it ok that I made a thread/topic whatever thing where you have to use Ubers and legendaries?

Image (by Ender)

Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

khoufu wrote:
I think it's a great forum, being that I like to battle people. But no one lets you use legendaries in the battles! Is it ok that I made a thread/topic whatever thing where you have to use Ubers and legendaries?

Just post in the battle request thread that you want an wifi/shoddy Uber battle. There are a few people here who play with them. (not me)

Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

That's almost all I use, usually, but OK. But here's another question:
I know there's already the Battle Request Thread, but should there be another thread for Battle Frontier battles in Platinum? Ther're a whole lot different, and longer, and it would be kinda hard to have a tournament there, since you battle beside someone, not against them.

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I suppose co-op Battle Frontier over WiFi doesn't really fit in any other thread, so I guess someone could make a topic for it if they want to seek a partner.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:49 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'd agree, but I personally think that would be better placed in Sinnoh since it's exclusive to the games.

To the to-do list with it!

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next