It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Gen IV Rating Center 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wai wrote:
From the advice I've received, I have added another three Pokemon for 6 vs 6 battles. Bronzong, Weavile and Starmie will be used in 3 vs 3 battles.

---
Forretress {forretress} @ Leftovers
Sturdy | Relaxed (+Def -Spd)
252 HP, 112 Atk, 144 Def
~ Gyro Ball
~ Spikes / Toxic Spikes
~ Rapid Spin
~ Explosion

Forretress is basically there to set up Spikes, get rid of those set by the opponent and to kill off any Bug Pokemon that Weavile and Starmie hate. Will the Occa berry do much in helping Forretress survive a Fire attack?

Forretress is a physical wall, nto a special wall. Gyro Ball > Rock Slide for damaging move. A few Atk EVs are nice for boosting Gyro Ball and Explosion, and Forretress has a base 140 Def. If you're facing a Fire move, I would advise you to switch.

Watch out for Taunt/SR leads, as it's quite obvious Forretress wants to Spike.

---
Bronzong {bronzong} @ Light Clay
Levitate | Sassy (+SD -Spd)
252 HP, 86 Atk, 80 Def, 92 SD
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake / Stealth Rock
~ Light Screen
~ Reflect

As I mentioned earlier, I hate the unreliability of Hypnosis and Stealth Rock doesn't do much in 3 vs 3 battles, so I can make Bronzong into a screener.

You might consider a different moveset for a 6v6 team - possibly training 2 Bronzongs (or cloning one). Stealth Rock is very useful against human opponents, and you don't suffer Battle Tower luck either.

Note, however, that the standard screening Bronzong set has different EVs:

Relaxed 252 HP 152 Atk 8 Def 96 SpD

The EVs allow it to do some decent damage against fast sweepers, who cannot do much to Bronzong with screens up. Screen Bronzong normally has Explosion, but you have Forretress already, so I would recommend considering Stealth Rock for extra switch damage.

---
Starmie {starmie} @ Choice Specs
Illuminate | Timid (+Spd -Atk)
252 SA, 6 SD, 252 Spd
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Special sweeper.

[color=yellow]Standard, except for the Illuminate ability.

---
Weavile {weavile} @ Choice Band / Life Orb / Expert Belt
Pressure | Jolly (+Spd -SA)
252 Atk, 6 Def, 252 Spd
~ Ice Punch
~ Night Slash
~ Brick Break
~ Aerial Ace / Swords Dance

Physical sweeper.

You have two choice sweepers - you might consider putting Swords Dance on Weavile, which is a TM move

If you want to keep Choice Band, note that in 6v6 battles revenge killing with Pursuit and Ice Shard is often preferred, with the following set:

Weavile @ Choice Band
Pursuit
Ice Shard
Brick Break
Ice Punch / Night Slash

---
Gengar {gengar} @ Life Orb
Levitate | Timid (+Spd -Atk)
6 HP, 252 SA, 252 Spd
~ Shadow Ball
~ Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast
~ Energy Ball

Another special sweeper.

Again, I strongly suggest you include a sweeper that has a stat boosting move. If you want Weavile to be Banded, consider a Nasty Plot special sweeper. Using three sweepers that cannot stat boost is asking for a tank to stat up and sweep your team.

---
Blissey {blissey} @ Leftovers
Serene Grace | Bold (+Def -Atk)
252 Def, 120 SA, 138 SD
~ Flamethrower
~ Charm
~ Heal Bell / Aromatherapy [color=yellow]Aromatherapy > Heal Bell

~ Softboiled

Healer and Forretress/Scizor killer. Serene Grace to boost the chances of burning the target.
You might be able to get Scizor + Forretress by surprise. If you switch Blissey into a Scizor Swords Dancing, it may just OHKO you with Brick Break.

Blissey with Flamethrower and Charm is not a very reliable counter to CM Suicune or Latias. After a few CM, neither is Starmie with Thunderbolt / Ice Beam. You might consider the CM Bliss set, which has better attacking options and shuts down Calm Minders.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Serene Grace Modest 252 SpA / 252 Def / 6 HP
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind
Softboiled

You won't have Flamethrower for Scizor, but as mentioned earlier, Blissey won't survive a Scizor if it has a Swords Dance anyways.

---

I wish I had bred some egg moves such as Counter or Fake Out to Weavile, but he is almost at Lv90 and I'm reluctant to "start over". Forretress, Gengar and Blissey have yet to be "created", so don't hesitate to make any dramatic suggestions now.

I think my team might need another bulky Pokemon. Other Pokemon that I have considered for my team include Claydol, Armaldo, Lucario and Togekiss.
As mentioned earlier, you should get a stat booster. You have three bulky pokemon, but if you want another consider tanks like Snorlax and Suicune.

Note that Blissey is not a very reliable Scizor counter to start with - and if your opponent knows your team, even less of one. Yes, Blissey is a nice pokemon to switch Scizor in on - but then, so is Forretress and Weavile. Reflect can give Starmie a good chance at killing it unless Starmie is at low HP. SD Lucario can also cause problems if your opponent Pursuit kills Gengar (who cannot be killed by ExtremeSpeed).

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:08 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I suppose I should mention this as EP hasn't been around lately.

Everyone welcome Sion9 and Electrike! as newest raters to the rating center!!

Last edited by MasonTheChef on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'll deal with the 6 vs 6 team first. Sorry for redesigning the team again and again, but I could see so many holes in my previous plans. What about the following team?

---
Bronzong {bronzong} @ Leftovers
252 HP, 84 Atk, 80 Def, 92 SD
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock
~ Hypnosis

Sets up Stealth Rock and puts opponent to sleep prior to switching out.

---
Natural Cure | Timid (+Spd -Atk)
252 SA, 4 SD, 252 Spd
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Special sweeper.

---
Weavile {weavile} @ Choice Band
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
~ Ice Shard
~ Pursuit
~ Brick Break
~ Night Slash

Revenge killer. Starmie has Ice Beam, so Weavile gets Night Slash for better coverage.

---
Togekiss {togekiss} @ Leftovers
Serene Grace | Calm (+SD -Atk)
252 HP, 152 SA, 104 Spd
~ Nasty Plot
~ Air Slash
~ Aura Sphere
~ Flamethrower / Roost

I need a Scizor counter, because I've often ran into situations where my Starmie and Weavile get OHKOed by X-Scissor. Heatran is an alternative, but I really don't like the look of the 4x Ground weakness. Putting up with Weavile's 4x Fighting weakness is annoying enough. Roost rids the boltbeam weakness, but is Flamethrower a must to kill of Scizor/Forretress before they kill the paper plane instead? I could hit them with Aura Sphere instead.

---
Claydol {claydol} @ Leftovers
Levitate | Bold (+Def -Atk)
252 HP, 108 Def, 96 SA, 52 Spd
~ Calm Mind
~ Earth Power
~ Grass Knot
~ Rapid Spin

Rapid Spinner. Calm Mind to boost SA and SD, Grass Knot to kill bulky waters.

---
Spiritomb {spiritomb} @ Leftovers
Pressure | Calm (+SD -Atk) / Careful (+SD -SA)
252 HP, 144 Def, 112 SD
~ Shadow Ball / Pursuit
~ Spite
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Calm with Shadow Ball, Careful with Pursuit. PP-Drainer to force more switching in and out and damage them via Bronzong's Stealth Rock in the background. Pursuit will land a nasty hit on those trying to switch out (max base power plus STAB is 120), but I think I need Shadow Ball (usual base power plus STAB is 120) for better coverage, since Weavile has Pursuit and Night Slash already. Shadow Ball may also lower the opponent's SD, which is an added bonus.

---

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Wai wrote:
I'll deal with the 6 vs 6 team first. Sorry for redesigning the team again and again, but I could see so many holes in my previous plans. What about the following team?

---
Bronzong {bronzong} @ Leftovers
252 HP, 84 Atk, 80 Def, 92 SD
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake/Explosion
~ Stealth Rock
~ Hypnosis

Sets up Stealth Rock and puts opponent to sleep prior to switching out.
Looks alright, but if you want to really do some damage after setting up SR go for Explosion over Earthquake.
---
Natural Cure | Timid (+Spd -Atk)
252 SA, 4 SD, 252 Spd
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Special sweeper.
Looks good.[b]

---
Weavile {weavile} @ Choice Band[b]/Focus Sash/Life Orb

252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
~ Ice Shard
~ Pursuit/Taunt
~ Brick Break
~ Night Slash

Revenge killer. Starmie has Ice Beam, so Weavile gets Night Slash for better coverage.
Since you have a spinner, using Focus Sash could work and allows Weavile to stay alive. Getting stuck on Pursuit can be a pain, too, with Choice Band. Life Orb will increase damage output and allow you to switch attacks. Taunt will help kill walls. Choice Band works anyway, though. It's mainly preference.
---
Togekiss {togekiss} @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Serene Grace | Calm (+SD -Atk)
252 HP, 152 SA, 104 Spd
~ Nasty Plot
~ Air Slash
~ Aura Sphere
~ Roost

I need a Scizor counter, because I've often ran into situations where my Starmie and Weavile get OHKOed by X-Scissor. Heatran is an alternative, but I really don't like the look of the 4x Ground weakness. Putting up with Weavile's 4x Fighting weakness is annoying enough. Roost rids the boltbeam weakness, but is Flamethrower a must to kill of Scizor/Forretress before they kill the paper plane instead? I could hit them with Aura Sphere instead.
I love this set. After a couple of Air Slashes from Nasty Plot-boosted Special Attack, Scizor and Forretress should be going down. Life Orb adds power and you can use Roost to recover the recoil.
---
Claydol {claydol} @ Leftovers
Levitate | Bold (+Def -Atk)
252 HP, 108 Def, 96 SA, 52 Spd
~ Calm Mind
~ Earth Power
~ Grass Knot/Shadow Ball
~ Rapid Spin

Rapid Spinner. Calm Mind to boost SA and SD, Grass Knot to kill bulky waters.
Looks alright, consider Shadow Ball though, Claydol will die to water-types if it doesn't have enough CMs up.
---
Spiritomb {spiritomb} @ Leftovers
Pressure | Calm (+SD -Atk) / Careful (+SD -SA)
252 HP, 144 Def, 112 SD
~ Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse
~ Spite/Hidden Power[Fighting]
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Calm with Shadow Ball, Careful with Pursuit. PP-Drainer to force more switching in and out and damage them via Bronzong's Stealth Rock in the background. Pursuit will land a nasty hit on those trying to switch out (max base power plus STAB is 120), but I think I need Shadow Ball (usual base power plus STAB is 120) for better coverage, since Weavile has Pursuit and Night Slash already. Shadow Ball may also lower the opponent's SD, which is an added bonus.
I see why you would use Spite, but really, you can't do anything if you're in against a Normal-type. This could just cost you a match. Try Hidden Power[Fighting] for perfect coverage. Or you could keep Spite and use Dark Pulse because nothing is completely immune to it.
---

Last edited by Electrike! on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Basically I've created this team for the battle frontier, so it's gonna be 3 Pokemon.

Uxie {uxie} @ Leftovers
Relaxed - 252 HP | 128 Def | 128 SpD
Levitate

- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Psychic
- U-turn

Basically, Uxie's job is to use Stealth Rock, put the opponent to sleep and switch to Ninjask. Psychic could be used if the opponent is weak to Psychic. Its EV spread it to maximize its defenses so it can survive attacks while it sets up the rocks and yawns.

Ninjask {ninjask} @ Focus Band
Jolly - 176 HP | 252 Atk | 80 Spe
Speed Boost

- Substitute / Double Team
- Swords Dance
- Batons Pass
- X-Scissor

So basically he'll be the second Pokémon in my Battle Frontier party. His job will be to accumulate speed boosts and swords dance. Then he'll use substitute and baton pass to power up my mixed sweeper Salamence. I was wondering if double team was a better choice than substitute because the sub usualle doesn't last with powerful attacks. I think that a Focus Band is useful so Ninjask can baton pass a maximum of boosts to my sweeper.

Salamence {salamence} @ Life Orb
Mild - 84 Atk | 216 SpA | 208 Spe
Intimidate

- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Salamence is here to sweep, anything that comes in. With the attack and speed boosts from ninjask, he can easily counter any Pokemon even Garchomp, Blissey and any other Tank or Sweeper. The Life Orb is here to boost his powerful attacks. As for his EV, they have been chosen to maximize his attacks.

With a team like this the battle frontier will just have to give me theses badges. Uxie will put to sleep, Ninjask will generate stat boosts, Salamence will sweep.

Please rate my team as soon as possible. Thanks in advance :D
- Move

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:18 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Dark Typhlosion wrote:
Basically I've created this team for the battle frontier, so it's gonna be 3 Pokemon.

Uxie {uxie} @ Leftovers
Impish - 240 HP / 28 Def / 16 SpA / 8 SpD / 216 Spe
Levitate

- Calm Mind
- Yawn/Reflect/Light Screen
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Basically, Uxie's job is to use Stealth Rock, put the opponent to sleep and switch to Ninjask. Psychic could be used if the opponent is weak to Psychic. Its EV spread it to maximize its defenses so it can survive attacks while it sets up the rocks and yawns.
Stealth Rock isn't very useful in the Battle Frontier, since your opponents have 3 Pokemon and won't be switching much. I would try using the tanking Uxie above. This one sets up with Calm Mind and is able to sweep on its own. Psychic and Thunderbolt are resisted by very few Pokemon. The support move is preference. Yawn is helpful to get your opponent to sleep while you set up, attack, or switch. The EVs look odd but they allow Uxie to outspeed CB Heracross and Adamant Lucario and survive attacks from Gengar and Heracross.

Ninjask {ninjask} @ Petaya Berry/Liechi Berry
Jolly - 176 HP | 252 Atk | 80 Spe
Speed Boost

- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor

So basically he'll be the second Pokémon in my Battle Frontier party. His job will be to accumulate speed boosts and swords dance. Then he'll use substitute and baton pass to power up my mixed sweeper Salamence. I was wondering if double team was a better choice than substitute because the sub usualle doesn't last with powerful attacks. I think that a Focus Band is useful so Ninjask can baton pass a maximum of boosts to my sweeper.
Substitute+Protect combo is perfect for stalling to get Speed Boosts. Liechi/Petaya Berry to pass to Uxie or Salamence. This Ninjask is also a good lead, so you may want it as your lead.

Salamence {salamence} @ Life Orb
Adamant - 252 Atk | 6 HP | 252 Spe
Intimidate

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance/Roost

- Outrage

Salamence is here to sweep, anything that comes in. With the attack and speed boosts from ninjask, he can easily counter any Pokemon even Garchomp, Blissey and any other Tank or Sweeper. The Life Orb is here to boost his powerful attacks. As for his EV, they have been chosen to maximize his attacks.
Well, because of the changes I made to Uxie, you can use a Physical Sweeping Salamence here. Dragon Dance could be unnecessary because of Ninjask, so Roost might fit better there. Stone Edge is just another physical attack.

With a team like this the battle frontier will just have to give me theses badges. Uxie will put to sleep, Ninjask will generate stat boosts, Salamence will sweep.

Please rate my team as soon as possible. Thanks in advance :D
- Move

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:46 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

its been a loooooong time since i've played pokemon, or even constructed a team. NU looks like fun, so why not?!

{lapras} @ lefties
Adamant | 32 hp, 252 atk, 224 spd
-dragon dance
-ice shard
-waterfall/zen headbutt
-subby

sub, dance, then plow the fields. after a few dances, waterfall makes sure i catch a flinch sometimes. lefties for aiding with her subs, which if im not mistaken should be hefty 101 subs. also come in handy to absorb water attacks for...

{ninetales} @ wide lens
Timid | 252 sp atk, 4 sp def, 252 spd
-hypnosis
-toxic/will-o-wisp
-energy ball
-flamethrower/overheat

double status time! flamethrower for longevity, but overheat will hit harder. ohh decisions. toxic is there in case i switch into a fire type that thinks it can pose a threat (entei, perhaps), but preferably i'd like to pass some burns around with WoW

{leafeon} @ ??
Jolly | 252 atk, 252 spd
-baton pass
-swords dance
-leaf blade
-roar

the plant eevee sure is odd looking, and acts the part too. not too sure on what item i want it to hold. anyways, ol leafy sets up a few dances, then if the opponent sends a phazer, i roar em away. when push comes to shove, i jump ship and send out...

{marowak} @ thick club
Adamant | 252 atk, 252 spd
-EQ
-stone edge/rock slide
-fire punch
-double edge

a skull mask and a bone for a weapon? charming lil devil. after two SD's passed from leafy, marowak is sure to pose a massive threat. granted his speed isnt the best, he'll be hitting hard all the way till the end.

{exeggutor} @ lefties
modest/timid | 252 hp, 212 sp atk, 44 spd
-wish
-sunny day
-solar beam
-stun spore

this bad boy holds down the fort. he makes sure everyone gets a wish here and there, and can paralyze the opponent, all the meanwhile setting up the sunny-beam combo. if a fire type tries to get fresh with him, out comes Ninetales, absorbing the possible fire attack AND getting a very nice boost from sunny day.

{probopass} @ lefties
calm | 252 hp, 168 sp def, 88 spd
-earth power
-stealth rock
-thunder wave
-power gem

pretty standard special wall. im not too thrilled on using probopass, but i do like his mustache.

so there it is, my try at a triumphant return into competitive play in the NU environment. thanks in advance!

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Looks OK but I have some suggestions

Ninetales
Toxic
Flamethrower
Energy ball
Confuse ray/ attract
Instead of double status go for compound status

Exeggutor Timid (Heat rock) You have too many lefties for most matchs
Solar beam
Sunny day
Synthesis /Moonlight (2/3) recovery in sunlight or wish
Ancient power you should be fast enough to do some damage Get super effective againest most of grasses weaknesses (Fire,Fly,Bug,Ice)

Then for probopass
remove steathrock and go for sandstorm
not only will it turn off the dangerous sun but it boosts SD by 50%

Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:53 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{electivire} @ Life Orb
Adamant / Motor Drive
~Thunder Bolt
~Ice Punch
~Cross Chop
~Earthquake

{charizard} @ Charti Berry
Jolly / Blaze
~Blast Burn
~Flare Blitz
~Fly
~Focus Blast

{espeon} @ Wise Glasses
Bold / Synchronize
~Psychic
~Dig
~Shadow Ball
~Calm Mind

{torterra} @ Quick Claw
Hasty / Overgrow
~Wood Hammer
~Earthquake
~Crunch
~Frenzy Plant

{garchomp} @ Yache Berry
Hasty / Sand Veil
~Dragon Pulse
~Giga Impact
~Crunch
~Surf

{lucario} @ Lum Berry
Quirky / Inner Focus
~Aura Sphere
~Dark Pulse
~Flash Cannon
~Close Combat

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:21 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

You did not specify where this team will be used; I will rate as though it is competitive, as you can always use competitive sets to great effect in-game.

Ryanh181 wrote:
{electivire} @ Expert Belt
Mild 36 Atk 252 SpA 220 Spe
~Thunder Bolt
~Ice Punch
~Cross Chop
~/Flamethrower
That is the standard Mixed Sweeper set for Electivire. It threatens physical walls as well as dealing physical hits. You can do enough damage to a physical wall that switches in to allow another physical sweeper to sweep.

However, if you want more of a physical sweeper Electivire, try the following set:

Electivire @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
~ Thunderpunch
~ Cross Chop
~ Ice Punch
~ Earthquake / Fire Punch.

However a physical wall without a type weakness will easily wall you.

Note: Electivire is best used as a switch in after an Electric lure, such as Gyarados, to power up Motor Drive. As such, I would advise you to use a Gyarados on your team (or other Electric attack lure) for the best benefits. Additionally, do not lead Electivire - you lose the element of surprise necessary for Motor Drive activation.

{charizard} @ [color=yellow]Life Orb

[Hasty/Naive color=yellow]36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe [/color]
~Flamethrower
~HP Grass/Electric - necessary due to Charizard's limited movepool
~Dragon Pulse
~Focus Punch

Two problems with this Charizard (even on an in-game team):
1) Blast Burn, or any Hyper Beam moves for that matter, is highly inadvisable because the opponent gets a free turn afterwards.
2) Using two attack moves of the same type is generally ineffective, and serves no purpose here.

{espeon} @ Leftovers
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
~Psychic
~Signal Beam - Dig is not very useful on an Espeon.
~Shadow Ball HP Fighting is preferred for type coverage
~Calm Mind

{torterra} @ Leftovers
Adamant (Rock Polish 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP) (SD 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe)
~Wood Hammer
~Earthquake
~Crunch
~Swords Dance / Rock Polish

As mentioned above, Frenzy Plant should be removed for 2 reasons. Replace it with Swords Dance or Rock Polish to boost up for a sweep.

{garchomp} @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Jolly / Sand Veil
~Outrage
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge

Garchomp is best as a physical sweeper. Giga Impact is not used for the same reason as Hyper Beam. Note that Return has greater power over 2 turns than Hyper Beam. Here, Dragon Claw and Outrage can be used because in some instances you will want to be able to switch the next turn. Outrage still allows attacks the 2nd turn, unlike Hyper Beam.

If you are only using Garchomp in-game, and feel no need to have 2 different Dragon moves, use Crunch to replace one for type coverage.

Garchomp is uber, and on a competitive team could be replaced with Gyarados (for Electivire).[/color]

{lucario} @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Naive / Hasty 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 6 Atk
~Dragon Pulse for type coverage
~Dark Pulse
~Flash Cannon
~Close Combat

Close Combat works well against common special walls such as Blissey and Snorlax.

As a competitive team, you need to add walls - Torterra is somewhat bulky, but a pair of dedicated walls will benefit you greatly.

Shinies

Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:42 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I play with friends and sometimes online, really I normally fight OU teams but

Sharpedo @ Choice Band
Rough Skin
Lax
252 Attack 252 Speed 4HP
Crunch
Poison Jab
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Just a sweeper and it tends to work pretty well. Normally my lead poke, too.
I have two of them, one with waterfall replacing posion jab and a Scarf, and the other is this one.

Ampharos @ Sitrus Berry
Static
Brave
252 HP 252 Defense 4 Sp. Attack
Discharge
Focus Blast
Signal Beam
Power Gem

Originally for a Trick Room team, but it seems to work well on it's own.
Signal Beam and Power Gem work really well for me, normally getting at the most 2HKOs.
He was intended to be a wall but his Sp. Attack was enough so that he has gotten a few victories for me.
Static works really well, too.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Careful
252 HP 252 Sp. Defense 4 Sp.Attack
Psychic
Confuse Ray
Attract/Focus Blast
Thunder Wave

This one was just to annoy people and give me time, but Psychic works pretty well on Fighting pokemon like Infernape if he can survive a hit.
I haven't tested Focus Blast yet, but I cant decide between Attract and Focus Blast.

Bastiodon @ Sitrus Berry
Sturdy
Brave
252 HP 252 Defense 4 Attack
Stealth Rock
Iron Head / Metal Burst
Iron Defense
Protect

This can make battles really long and it has Stealth Rock on it.
Because of his speed, I could use metal burst, but Iron Head works really well.
Iron Defense is if I they use Dragon dance, or anything like that. Protect is what I use on the first turn to see what they will use.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Snow Cloak
Serious
252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Destiny Bond
Thunder Wave

I just use Thunder Wave unless I think I can OHKO, or if SR is up.
It's not faster then Choice Band Sharpedo, but it is pretty fast.
Normally Thunder Wave works out pretty well, unless they know the tactic.

Aggron @ ???
Rock Head
???
126 Attack 126 Defense 252 HP
???
Metal Burst
???
???.

No idea what this will be, probably end up like Ampharos.

Really, I need a fire type, but I don't have any to work with besides a Quilava and Earthquake looks like a big threat.
Other than that I have no idea what to do with this team...I have already gotten all of them but Aggron.
I want to keep at least Ampharos, Sharpedo, and Bastiodon, but other than that I am completely open to changes.

Last edited by Meeps on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Meeps, please add what environment your playing in, in-game/friends or UU/OU. As well as a a short description of what each poke is aiming to accomplish. I ask this because of the rulez and because it helps a lot in helping you figure out your own holes in the team as well as helping us rate.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I need help with a three pokemon team for the battle tower, and messing with friends, and the rules sounded like this belongs here and not on a separate thread, so yeah...

{scyther} adamant (252 Att/252 Spd/6 Hp)@???
-x-scissor
-aerial ace (technician makes it 90 power)
-brick break? or Steel wing?
-double hit? (total of 105 power)

{espeon} timid (252 Sp.A/252 Spd/6 Hp)@???
-psychic
-signal beam
-calm mind
-grass knot

{gyarados} jolly (252 hp/128 Att/128 Spd)@chesto berry
-rest
-aqua tail
-dragon dance
-stone edge

{feraligatr} Impish (128 Def/128 Sp.D/252 Att)@leftovers
-dragon dance
-dragon claw
-aqua tail
-crunch

so mainly I need to know if I should use gyarados of feraligatr, and if I should change the moves
gyarados, espeon, and feraligatr are already ev trained, but the scyther isn't (plan to buy with game tokens from firered and migrate, so I can get good stats)

I also wanted to know about how i should train an articuno...

{articuno} modest (252 Hp/252 Sp.A/6 Def)@leftovers
-ice beam
-water pulse
-air cutter
-roost

I found a chikorita in my box with an adamant nature, and thought it was useless, so buried it in the box, but with hg/ss approaching I thought I would look at the meganium stats... turns out this guy could be fierce, but I'm not sure about the ev spread I planned for it... also should I use this in my 3 pokemon team for the battle tower?

{meganium} Adamant (134 Hp/124 Sp.D/124 Def/128 Att)@leftovers
-swords dance
-seed bomb
-earthquake
-outrage

thanks in advance, and I apologize if this isn't the place for this

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Meeps wrote:
I play with friends and sometimes online, really I normally fight OU teams but

The team is entirely very solid NU/UU pokes aside from froslass which is a BL, you may have some problems in OU there but it's possible and can be quite good with same said pokes in UU.

Sharpedo @ Choice Band
Rough Skin
Lax
252 Attack 252 Speed 4HP
Crunch
Poison Jab
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Just a sweeper and it tends to work pretty well. Normally my lead poke, too.
I have two of them, one with waterfall replacing posion jab and a Scarf, and the other is this one.

Lonely nature with a scarf works best if you intend to lead in OU, and you do have some benefit of rough skin breaking lead sashes. for the move set go
Waterfall
Crunch
Surf/Hydro pump w/lonely EQ w/adamant

Ice Fang

Ampharos @ Sitrus Berry
Static
Brave
252 HP 252 Defense 4 Sp. Attack
Discharge
Focus Blast
Signal Beam
Power Gem

Originally for a Trick Room team, but it seems to work well on it's own.
Signal Beam and Power Gem work really well for me, normally getting at the most 2HKOs.
He was intended to be a wall but his Sp. Attack was enough so that he has gotten a few victories for me.
Static works really well, too.

Switch nature to modest, and leftovers for an item. With those EV's you can use Subsitute over power gem and tank quite well behind it. Also there's the option of using reflect/light screen + light clay to help defend the rest of the team.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Careful
252 HP 252 Sp. Defense 4 Sp.Attack
Psychic
Confuse Ray
Attract/Focus Blast
Thunder Wave

This one was just to annoy people and give me time, but Psychic works pretty well on Fighting pokemon like Infernape if he can survive a hit.
I haven't tested Focus Blast yet, but I cant decide between Attract and Focus Blast.

Use Thick fat to help his defenses a bit. If you are aiming to annoy and damage try mud slap in the 3rd slot or mirror coat (or better yet counter if you can get it from FRLG) Though if your aim is mostly to attack there then try Focus blast or signal beam.

Bastiodon @ Sitrus Berry
Sturdy
Brave
252 HP 252 Defense 4 Attack
Stealth Rock
Iron Head / Metal Burst
Iron Defense
Protect

This can make battles really long and it has Stealth Rock on it.
Because of his speed, I could use metal burst, but Iron Head works really well.
Iron Defense is if I they use Dragon dance, or anything like that. Protect is what I use on the first turn to see what they will use.

Try:
Sturdy
Careful
Leftovers or Shuca berry
252HP 180Def 76S.def
-Curse
-Iron head
-Metal burst
-Protect

Protect to scout, Curse to up def while boosting attack, Iron def is fine too but it may allude to being a metal burst set and without taunt that can give the opponent a free setup. Shuca will allow him to metal burst back an EQ once, as you have nothing that can safely come in on it.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Snow Cloak
Serious
252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Destiny Bond
Thunder Wave

I just use Thunder Wave unless I think I can OHKO, or if SR is up.
It's not faster then Choice Band Sharpedo, but it is pretty fast.
Normally Thunder Wave works out pretty well, unless they know the tactic.

Use Timid nature to become even faster, without SR on the above set you can run spikes over T-wave to set up when froslass comes in to take fighting attacks aimed at bastiodon.

Aggron @ ???
Rock Head
???
126 Attack 126 Defense 252 HP
???
Metal Burst
???
???.

No idea what this will be, probably end up like Ampharos.

No, I ill advise having two rock/steel on the same team, Try running a Glisor or Togekiss w/flamethrower if you want something defensive (and something that can switch into ampharos and bastidon's weakness) This is the link to the SERIOUS BUSINESS page for togekiss Try the Choice spec's set here.

Really, I need a fire type, but I don't have any to work with besides a Quilava and Earthquake looks like a big threat.
Other than that I have no idea what to do with this team...I have already gotten all of them but Aggron.
I want to keep at least Ampharos, Sharpedo, and Bastiodon, but other than that I am completely open to changes.

Nabkov wrote:
I need help with a three pokemon team for the battle tower, and messing with friends, and the rules sounded like this belongs here and not on a separate thread, so yeah...

Your team should look like this wrote:

A short description of the pokemon - I would suggest aiming for about 5 sentences, but anything from about 3-10 is fine

Why can nobody read this rule???? But I said I'd rate yours this morning in the other thread so...

{scyther} adamant (252 Att/252 Spd/6 Hp)@???
-x-scissor
-aerial ace (technician makes it 90 power)
-brick break? or Steel wing?
-double hit? (total of 105 power)

Focus sash for the item and even with make sure it's HP is odd to not die on a 2nd SR switch in. for an offensive lead use brick break and quick attack in the last slot, but to be a bit more scouting try
focus sash
Swarm (Tech. ok if using quick attack)
252atk 252spd 4hp or def
-Counter
-U-turn/x-scissor
-Night Slash
-quick attack

Sash counter offensive leads, U-turn their switch in if it's slow or not a priority user, Quick attack/switch if they are. Night slash ghost/psychics if you can, thief may work here with tech if the sash was broken to steal an item.

{espeon} timid (252 Sp.A/252 Spd/6 Hp)@???
-psychic
-signal beam
-calm mind
-grass knot

Leftovers and either a substitute in the last slot or reflect is possible since synchronize does "block" status.

{gyarados} jolly (252 hp/128 Att/128 Spd)@chesto berry
-rest
-aqua tail
-dragon dance
-stone edge

{feraligatr} Impish (128 Def/128 Sp.D/252 Att)@leftovers
-dragon dance
-dragon claw
-aqua tail
-crunch

Go with the gyarados, use waterfall over aqua tail, 10 less power but 100%acc and 20% flinch perform much better.

so mainly I need to know if I should use gyarados of feraligatr, and if I should change the moves
gyarados, espeon, and feraligatr are already ev trained, but the scyther isn't (plan to buy with game tokens from firered and migrate, so I can get good stats)

I also wanted to know about how i should train an articuno...

{articuno} modest (252 Hp/252 Sp.A/6 Def)@leftovers
-ice beam
-water pulse
-air cutter
-roost

Articuno makes a much better wall than attacker, and having 2 4x weak rock pokes makes SR a major threat. defensive Starmie or Claydol w/ rapid spin might be better here of your needing ice attacks and a bit of tanking. But with articuno I'd say (assuming you need to stay the same nature)

Modest @ life orb/leftovers
152HP, 252Satk 104Spd
-Ice beam
-Water pulse
-Agility/Roost
-U-turn

Water/ice give good coverage, U-turn to scout counters and either roost to recover SR and other damage or agility to try a sweep.

I found a chikorita in my box with an adamant nature, and thought it was useless, so buried it in the box, but with hg/ss approaching I thought I would look at the meganium stats... turns out this guy could be fierce, but I'm not sure about the ev spread I planned for it... also should I use this in my 3 pokemon team for the battle tower?

{meganium} Adamant (134 Hp/124 Sp.D/124 Def/128 Att)@leftovers
-swords dance
-seed bomb
-earthquake
-outrage

Try a spread of 252hp, 4 atk, 252spd or 158atk and 100spd and replace outrage with Body slam. Flail or Substitute are also good options there.

thanks in advance, and I apologize if this isn't the place for this
It's the right place, sorry about the wait.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:18 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So for when I get HG&SS I thought I'd play as team rocket Jessie and James (Just for game play)
Jessie
Meowth {meowth} amulet coin/mucle band
adamant technican
Payday(even though meowth can't use it)/furyswipes
dig (team rocket and holes)
Thief / bite (thief fits the character but its weaker)
aerial ace

For EVs I did a spread of HP, SP and AT focusing on the latter two.
Very basic, dig to give him steel/rock coverage, dark for ghosts, AA for fight types
amulet coin if I go with pay day

arbok {arbok} razor fang
Jolly shed skin
posion jab
crunch
Fire fang/Thunder fang
earthquake

Same spread of EVs as meowth more focus on maxing SP, TF fang for skarmory

seviper {seviper} razor claw
adamant shed skin
Posion tail
night slash
Lick
rock smash
poor move pool so I went for utility while cranking up its AT

Yammega {yanmega} wise glasses
modest speed boost/ tinted lens
air slash
Bug buzz
giga drain
ancient power
special sweeper, jessies has peed boost, but tinted lens will give it a chance verse steel types

wobbuffet {wobbuffet} leftovers (aren't I a stinker?)
Hardy shadow tag
Counter
mirror coat
Destiny bond
Encore
Lots of HP, rest on speed, encore to force the opponent to repeat the move so i don't have to guess whats coming!

Dustox {dustox} black sludge
Modest shield dust
silver wind
sludge bomb
shadow ball
hidden power (strong verse steel)
just a moveset

James

Growlithe {growlithe} razor fang
adamant intimidate
reversal
flare blitz
double edge
crunch
Lots of AT and HP, It hurts itself to power up reversal

Weezing {weezing} black sludge
modest
Flame thrower
thunder bolt
dark pulse
sludge bomb
SA,HP and SD weezing has a poor physical moveset

Carnivine {carnivine} muscle band
adamant levitate
power whip
leech seed
Faint attack
Secert power
leech seed for steel types, physical attacker

Mime {mime jr.} bright powder
modest filter
Psychic
shadow ball
Focus blast (once it evolves)
charge beam
I just hope It doesn't die

Victreebel {victreebel} razor claw
adamant clorophlyl
Leaf blade
leech life
swords dance
return
Another attacker

Chimecho {chimecho} wise glasses
modest levitate
extrasensory
energy ball
shadow ball
uproar
wahoo...

Last edited by /vXv\ on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:23 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

To: vXv/

3. The format for posting a team is as follows:

Your team should look like this wrote:
A short introduction of the team. This includes mentioning:
:arrow: what kind of battling environment the team will be used in (WiFi, Shoddy Battle, PBR, Battle Tower, etc) so that the raters know what limits you have, like accessibility to FRLG/Emerald/Platinum move tutors, Hidden Power types, and the works. If the team is for Shoddy or some other pokemon simulator, you do not have to mention these things; otherwise tell what other games you have access to and how willing you are to breed for Hidden Power, etc. Only post teams that are meant to be competitive - if you cant defeat Cynthia for whatever reason, train your in-game team more.
:arrow: What tier you wish to use this team in - Overused, Underused, Ubers, or no tier at all. Tiers are according to the Psypoke Tier List found here
:arrow: How well this team has performed for you in the past - we don't want to rate a team that hasn't been used before - try it out and see what problems you run into, if any. Heck, if the team does well enough for you that it doesn't need to be rated, that's fine by us. Be sure to mention any specific pokemon you have problems with, the more detail the better.

Pokemon {pokemon} (please do not mention nicknames, its really kinda annoying) @ Item
Nature - EV Spread
Ability
- Move
- Move
- Move
- Move

A short description of the pokemon - I would suggest aiming for about 5 sentences, but anything from about 3-10 is fine (1-2 sentence descriptions are unacceptable). Here, describe the purpose of the pokemon - why did you choose this specific pokemon, with this specific moveset, over the other 492 pokemon there are? Mention what the Pokemon's role in your team is - for instance, is your pokemon a Lead, designed to set up entry hazards like Stealth Rock or Spikes? Is it an Attacker, intended to hit the opponent hard with attacks to weaken them? Is it a Baton Passer, giving the key stat boosts to another pokemon on your team that it needs in order to sweep the foe? Is it a Tank, or a Supporter, or a Spinner, or any of the other various roles a pokemon can have? Mention if your pokemon is intended to counter any specific pokemon (for instance, say how Magnezone is your number one Skarmory counter), or if there are any specific pokemon that counter yours (like how your Skarmory's number one fear is Magnezone).

<Repeat for each pokemon in the team.>

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ok, I know that there a ton of things wrong about my format of this post, please don't go to hard on me, it is my first post on the Rating thread.

Gengar {gengar}
Ability: Levitate
Hold Item: Wise Glasses (suggest plz)
Level:71
HP:183
Def:121
Sp.Atk:218
Sp.Def:134
Speed:205

Moveset: Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb
Dark Pulse
Hypnosis
Dream Eater/ Curse

I was thinking about bringing back Curse but I am unsure, I was thinking how im I going to restore my hp when I use it. My Gengar is beast at Elite Four And Battle Tower, but when it gets hit with a ghost, psy,or dark attack its over in one shot.

Torterra {torterra}
Ability: Overgrow
Hold Item Quick Claw/Occa Berry (suggest plz)
Level:72
HP:250
Def:180
Sp.Atk:145
Sp.Def:138
Speed: 130

Moveset: Energy Ball
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Synthesis/ Leech Seed

Gyarados {gyarados}
Ability: Intimidate
Hold Item: ??? (suggest plz)
Level: 75
HP: 253
Def: 151
Sp.Atk:115
Sp.Def: 167
Speed: 176

Moveset: Ice Beam/ Water Pulse
Aqua Tail
Hyper Beam/ Rain Dance
Dragon Dance

Garchomp {garchomp}
Ability: Sand Veil
Hold Item: Dragon Fang
Level: 76
HP: 266
Attack: 235
Defence: 185
Sp.Atk:163
Sp. Def: 124
Speed: 201

Moveset: Flamethrower
Dragon Claw
Dragon Rush/ Giga Impact
Draco Meteor

Arcanine {arcanine}
Ability: Intimidate
Hold Item: Charcoal
Level: 72
HP: 233
Attack: 199
Defence: 129
Sp. Atk: 174
Sp. Def: 156

Nidoking {nidoking}
Ability: Poison Point
Hold Item:???
Level: 74
HP: 224
Attack: 205
Defence: 134
Sp. Atk: 132
Sp. Def:136
Speed: 168

(Btw, I don't know about EV's)

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:30 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I hope I'm ready to post my team, if I'm not then oh wells.

I'm using this team for Battle Frontier. So, theres not going to be stat boosting moves, or attacks that effect the whole team. Only attacks that I can use to land a 1hit KO (2hit KO at the most) I will always go Choice when doing the battle hall.
Pokemon Gallade @ Life Orb/ Choice (atk^)/Leftovers (I work with any of the 3, all of the bellow pokemon go with these items too)
Nature - Adam
ev- 252 atk 252 spd, 4 hp
-X - Scissor
-Ice Punch
-Psyco Cut
-Close Combat
He has always been good through out the whole entire BF hitting everything with nutural damage. He is able to take out any of the Dragons that out speed Garchomp.

Pokemon Garchomp @ same as Gallade
Nature - Adam
ev - Atk 252 Spd 252 HP 4
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Shadow Claw (I can replace that with Outrage in competitive, but for now it needs Shadow Claw)
Chompy here likes to destroy any Pokemon that is weak to any of its attacks. I can switch Outrage for when I go to Battle Hall (only when I go against the Dragon rank). He can also take out Psycics and Ghostys with Shadow Claw. Then the rest is pretty much your average choice set.

Pokemon Lucario @ same, expect choice raises Sp.Atk
Nature - Modest
EV Spread - 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Ability - Inner Focus
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- Dragon Pulse

I also have an all attacking Porygon Z(Tri Atk, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Dark Pulse) and Starmie ( Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Surf).

I always need a full attacking Pokemon, with powerful attack and speed.

If you can give any modifications that would help with Battle Frontier!

-Matthew K.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thunderhead wrote:
I'm using this team for Battle Frontier. So, theres not going to be stat boosting moves, or attacks that effect the whole team. Only attacks that I can use to land a 1hit KO (2hit KO at the most) I will always go Choice when doing the battle hall.

Battle Frontier is actually the closest to competitive battling that you will find in-game. I advise you to rethink that strategy:
1) It is inadvisable to have multiple choice pokemon on a Battle Frontier team, especially with only 3 pokemon. You cannot change moves until you switch.
2) Switching to a tank when you need to change moves on your main choice sweeper is a lot easier than switching to another sweeper.
3) At higher level battles, you'll find that sweeping is much easier if you can get a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot in.

Thunderhead wrote:

Gallade @ Life Orb
Jolly 252 atk 252 spd, 4 hp
-Swords Dance
-Ice Punch
-Psycho Cut / Night Slash
-Close Combat
He has always been good through out the whole entire BF hitting everything with neutral damage. He is able to take out any of the Dragons that out speed Garchomp.

If you need more type coverage you can use Night Slash; iirc Dark + Fighting hits every existing type combination for at least neutral damage

[color=yellow]I recommend you go with Garchomp as your lead, and replace Gallade with a tank.

Garchomp @ Life Orb / Yache Berry
Jolly Atk 252 Spd 252 HP 4
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Swords Dance
(I can replace that with Outrage in competitive, but for now it needs Shadow Claw)
Chompy here likes to destroy any Pokemon that is weak to any of its attacks. I can switch Outrage for when I go to Battle Hall (only when I go against the Dragon rank). He can also take out Psycics and Ghostys with Shadow Claw. Then the rest is pretty much your average choice set.

SD Garchomp is probably best suited for the BF. You may consider Yache Berry instead of Life Orb, as Garchomp has a strong attack already but fears Ice attacks. (In BF especially you are likely to encounter an unexpected Ice attack).

Pokemon Lucario @ Choice Specs
Timid / Naive/Hasty 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Ability - Inner Focus
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Vacuum Wave
- Dragon Pulse

Vacuum Wave is standard to attack with priority. Close Combat is another option to counter special tanks; if using Close Combat, use Naive or Hasty nature. You can also consider Choice Scarf instead of Choice Specs, as Lucario's Spe is not the highest.

Thunderhead wrote:
I also have an all attacking Porygon Z(Tri Atk, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Dark Pulse) and Starmie ( Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Surf).

Specs Starmie might be a better special sweeper to use than Lucario; Lucario is mainly a mixed sweeper, with its main threat coming from the ability to deliver a strong attack on both the physical and special sides. As in BF the AI rarely switches pokemon, and will probably send out an appropriate tank only after you have KOed one of their pokemon, having a Choiced Lucario is somewhat of a waste.

Shinies

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:39 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

^I will follow the advice you've given me for when I go for the golden pass's.
I really don't want to go through training/breeding with natures again, so I'm not going too. (Its not like every pokemon I encounter will be a Ninjask with max speed ;) )

I will probably switch into the Starmie over Lucario (after I got silver), and I will also use my new powerhouse Slaking for future battle halls(the thing will destroy everything with its max attack. :D I will also be replacing the recommended attacks for Gold Rank, and I may use that berry aswell (I only used a berry on my Lead Bronzong before hmm)

-Matthew K.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This is a double battle tower set I Came up with..
Rampardos {rampardos}
Brave 252 AT 252 HP 4 DF
Muscle Band - mold breaker
-Earthquake
-Rock slide
-Protect
-Return
With Moldbreaker Earthquake hits all levitators, Rock slide Gets STAB plus strong verse Flying, With Rampardoses Awsome Attack It flattens almost anything

Xatu {xatu}
Quiet 172 HP 168 DF 168 SD
Quick Claw - syncronize
-Trick room
-Leer
-Defog
-Psychic
Trick room of course Gives Rampardos a huge advantage, leer lowers both opponents DF, Defog lowers evasion and clears Reflect
Trick room Team

Lucario {lucario}
Quiet SA 252 HP 252 SD 4
Wise Glasses - Stead fast
-Vaccum Wave
-Flash Cannon
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse / Water Pulse / Psy-pulse(Psychic)
This Set is simple cause its a Special sweeper, Vaccum wave to give Priority even if it comes out under Trick room, Flash cannon STAB, Dark pulse over shadow ball, just cus, and the last ones free
Dragon P. work well on the overly used Dragon types, Psychic gives It an advantage over other fighting types, while Water P. is Super effective verse Fire and Ground but is weaker.

Rhyperior {rhyperior}
Brave 252 AT 252 HP 4 DF
Musle band - Solid Rock
-Earthquake
-Rock slide
-Protect
-Shadow claw

Snorlax
{snorlax}
Brave 252 AT 252 HP 4 DF
Musle band/ leftover - Thick fat
-Earthquake
-Rock slide
-Return
-Crunch

Although Rampardos is resonably slow (which is good in this case) even at its slowest it is still faster than a normal snorlax, and a few other commonly used pokemon, using snorlax you lose mold breaker and alot of AT, Rhyperior Is in the middle because its faster than Snorlax, but has higher AT, plus EQ gets STAB boost.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:40 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm new to this generation of Pokémon, so I wanted an opinion on the first team I made at Lv.50. I mainly use it for Battle Tower and against local friends. I only have Pokémon Platinum and Pearl. Since I have Garchomp and Heracross, I assume my tier would be Overused. The team has performed extremely well against my friends and pretty well in Battle Frontier. But I've been trying to get the Great Ability Ribbon and World Ability Ribbon for a little while now and I'm starting to get frustrated.

I know these are almost standard sets, so what can I do to improve or what/who should I consider replacing (please leave explanation)? I also have no idea how to calculate EVs, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible (newb status, i know. Sorry). My three mains for Battle Tower are Garchomp, Gardevoir, Milotic, and then my Heracross would be next in line. Any constructive criticism would be helpful and greatly considered. Thanks!

Garchomp Lv.50 @ Life Orb

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Veil

Stats
HP------191
Attack--163
Defense-123
Sp. Atk--90
Sp. Def-106
Speed---119

Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Sword Dance

I intended Garchomp to be a Physical Sweeper. I usually start off with Sword Dance, depending if my opponent isn't capable of using Ice attacks. When I know that I can get away with two or three Sword Dances without taking major damage, I'd typically go for it which leads to Garchomp taking out most Pokémon in one hit. If I do see an Ice/Water Pokémon, I typically switch out knowing Garchomp has x4 Weakness to Ice. I use Life Orb to boost his Attack stats as well. He's usually my first in battles. I don't have a problem with this tough guy.

----------------------------------------

Gardevoir Lv.50 @ Lum Berry

Nature: Calm
Ability: Trace

Stats
HP------147
Attack---72
Defense--83
Sp. Atk-155
Sp. Def-156
Speed---110

Thunderbolt
Psychic
Calm Mind
Rest

I intended Gardevoir to by a Special Sweeper. I personally think Gardevoir's stats were great for being UU. I always try to go for the Calm Mind as the first move. I picked Thunderbolt because I've found it a very useful in my experience for those resistant to Psychic. If I'm low on HP and I haven't used Lum Berry yet, it works as a great combo with Rest. Since after it sleeps to restore health with Rest, the Lum Berry wakes Gardevoir up to go straight back into battle with full health. I was lucky enough to transfer this baby from my Emerald. Sentimental value.

Skarmory Lv.50 @ Shed Shell

Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy

Stats
HP------153
Attack---97
Defense-180
Sp. Atk--52
Sp. Def--82
Speed----90

Aerial Ace
Roost
Spikes
Roar

I intended Skarmory to by my Tank and Spiker. Since my Milotic is holding Leftovers for Battle Tower, I gave Skarmory Shed Shell to help recover from damage. I tried out this move set and liked it a lot. I'll throw out as many Spikes possible, than Roar almost every turn. Obviously, use Roost when I’m low on HP and Aerial Ace to attack. Aerial Ace NEVER misses! This is great especially when the opponent has used up Double Team to its max. This gives me a reason to laugh in their face thinking they could get away with high evasiveness. Only thing I dislike about Skarmory is that when it's down to the last Pokémon on each side with Skarmory as my last result, Roar/Spikes becomes useless.

---------------------------------------

Heracross Lv.50 @ Choice Band

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Guts

Stats
HP------163
Attack--167
Defense-103
Sp. Atk--51
Sp. Def-116
Speed---114

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Take Down
Brick Break

I intended Heracross to be a Physical Sweeper. Heracross was my main Physical Sweeper until I gave birth to Garchomp. Reason it's still one of my favorites is because it can take out almost every Pokémon in one hit. It's has THE HIGHEST attack points out of all the Lv.50 Pokémon I have for Battle Tower. With Choice Band, it makes Heracross even more devastating. Earthquake is extremely well rounded and Stone Edge is for the flying Pokémon. I usually switch out Heracross when I see a Flying Pokémon anyway with x4 Weakness to Flying attacks. Downfall I hate most about Heracross is with Choice Band I'm stuck with that one attack until I switch out. It gets annoying when my opponent switches to Bronzong and I previously used Earthquake. *shakes fist in the air* Like my Gardevoir, I was also lucky enough to transfer this guy from my Emerald.

Milotic Lv.50 @ Leftovers

Nature: Bold
Ability: Marvel Scale

Stats
HP-------168
Attack----70
Defense--122
Sp Atk---117
Sp Def---150
Speed----113

Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover

I intended Milotic to be a Tank. I honestly didn't know what the commotion was all about until I got my hands on a Feebas and evolved it to Milotic. OMG! This baby can take hits. Even against some Electric attacks, Milotic will still be standing (or slithering? haha). Skarmory was my old tank until I made Milotic. She's one of my mains now because she's a great tank that has a great offense stragety. I use Toxic and stall with Recover. Surf and Ice Beam are universal attacks that do decent damage to major damage regardless of type. Also, Milotic is great against Dragon types. I can’t find too many flaws for this beauty.

Azelf Lv.50 @ Choice Scarf

Nature: Jolly
Ability: Levitate

Stats
HP------160
Attack--156
Defense--97
Sp Atk--125
Sp Def---88
Speed---162

Zen Headbutt
Fire Punch
Explosion
U-Turn

I intended Azelf to be a Physical Sweeper. Its Attack stats are moderately good, in my opinion. I rarely use Azelf in Battle Tower, but I use it quite often against my friends. Choice Scarf to make sure I get the first attack with Zen Headbutt or Fire Punch. I'll use Explosion if I feel that I'm stuck in a corner. The expression on people's faces after seeing an Azelf explode is priceless and effective. And I'll use U-Turn when I feel like I can do a hit and run knowing that Azelf will be useful later. Downfall, like my dislikes to most scarves, I'm stuck with one attack until I switch out and its Defense isn't that great to go against some OU.

http://www.facebook.com/FrankieJames
http://www.myspace.com/FrankieJames
http://FrankieGatdula.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/FrankieGatdula

California, United States - Pacific Standard Time (PST)

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:34 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Charizard1stEdition wrote:
I'm new to this generation of Pokémon, so I wanted an opinion on the first team I made at Lv.50.

Normally, all posters in the Rating Center are required to have been registered for at least two weeks and have a post count of at least 25, but I'm impressed by your already good post quality, so I'm gonna let you get a free rating.

So if any raters aren't busy, y'all can go ahead and rate Charizard1stEdition whenever you get the chance.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know these are almost standard sets, so what can I do to improve or what/who should I consider replacing (please leave explanation)? I also have no idea how to calculate EVs, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible (newb status, i know. Sorry). My three mains for Battle Tower are Garchomp, Gardevoir, Milotic, and then my Heracross would be next in line. Any constructive criticism would be helpful and greatly considered.

We have an EV guide in Victory Road, as your pokemon are level 50 I recommend you read it and change your EVs.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP[color]
Earthquake
Dragon Claw [color=yellow]/ Outrage

Fire Fang / Stone Edge
Sword Dance

I intended Garchomp to be a Physical Sweeper. I usually start off with Sword Dance, depending if my opponent isn't capable of using Ice attacks. When I know that I can get away with two or three Sword Dances without taking major damage, I'd typically go for it which leads to Garchomp taking out most Pokémon in one hit. If I do see an Ice/Water Pokémon, I typically switch out knowing Garchomp has x4 Weakness to Ice. I use Life Orb to boost his Attack stats as well. He's usually my first in battles. I don't have a problem with this tough guy.

Note that Life Orb typically runs Jolly nature for extra Speed. However, Adamant is a good nature so you don't have to rebreed if you don't want to, especially as you're in the Battle Tower. Outrage is sometimes used over Dragon Claw; if you find yourself Swords Dancing multiple times an Outrage can probably sweep the opponent. Stone Edge is often considered over Fire Fang for higher damage and type effectiveness against flyers.

Gardevoir @ Chesto Berry
Calm 252 SpA / 200 Spe / 56 HP
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Calm Mind
Rest

I intended Gardevoir to by a Special Sweeper. I personally think Gardevoir's stats were great for being UU. I always try to go for the Calm Mind as the first move. I picked Thunderbolt because I've found it a very useful in my experience for those resistant to Psychic. If I'm low on HP and I haven't used Lum Berry yet, it works as a great combo with Rest. Since after it sleeps to restore health with Rest, the Lum Berry wakes Gardevoir up to go straight back into battle with full health. I was lucky enough to transfer this baby from my Emerald. Sentimental value.

Due to the Battle Tower's lack intelligence on when to switch pokemon, Gardevoir is a great pokemon to bring out against an enemy special sweeper or special tank and Calm Mind up while absorbing hits. I can understand the use of Rest/Lum due to Item Clause, but I would actually recommend Chesto Berry as Rest will clear out any other status besides Sleep in any case. This allows your first use of the Berry to wake you up.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Impish 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 16 Spe are the standard EVs
Brave Bird / Drill Peck
Roost
Spikes
Roar

I intended Skarmory to by my Tank and Spiker. Since my Milotic is holding Leftovers for Battle Tower, I gave Skarmory Shed Shell to help recover from damage. I tried out this move set and liked it a lot. I'll throw out as many Spikes possible, than Roar almost every turn. Obviously, use Roost when I’m low on HP and Aerial Ace to attack. Aerial Ace NEVER misses! This is great especially when the opponent has used up Double Team to its max. This gives me a reason to laugh in their face thinking they could get away with high evasiveness. Only thing I dislike about Skarmory is that when it's down to the last Pokémon on each side with Skarmory as my last result, Roar/Spikes becomes useless.

Because Battle Tower opponents don't switch much, I wouldn't actually recommend using Skarmory in Battle Tower. You can Spike and phaze, but opponents won't take switch damage unless you force it. As you noted, when it's down to the last pokemon Skarmory isn't very helpful unless your opponent is a physical sweeper that Skarmory can tank, which is a problem in a 3v3 battle. In any case, you should replace Skarmory's attacking move with Brave Bird or Drill Peck. Brave Bird is stronger and usable with Roost, Drill Peck is an option for no recoil.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Earthquake
Stone Edge
[color=yellow]Night Slash

Close Combat

I intended Heracross to be a Physical Sweeper. Heracross was my main Physical Sweeper until I gave birth to Garchomp. Reason it's still one of my favorites is because it can take out almost every Pokémon in one hit. It's has THE HIGHEST attack points out of all the Lv.50 Pokémon I have for Battle Tower. With Choice Band, it makes Heracross even more devastating. Earthquake is extremely well rounded and Stone Edge is for the flying Pokémon. I usually switch out Heracross when I see a Flying Pokémon anyway with x4 Weakness to Flying attacks. Downfall I hate most about Heracross is with Choice Band I'm stuck with that one attack until I switch out. It gets annoying when my opponent switches to Bronzong and I previously used Earthquake. *shakes fist in the air* Like my Gardevoir, I was also lucky enough to transfer this guy from my Emerald.

Sounds like you got lucky on random EVs / IVs. You should replace the last two moves to be more effective. Otherwise, your set is rather standard. However, I would not have both Garchomp and Heracross on the same Battle Tower team because it's only 3 pokemon.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Bold 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpA
Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover

I intended Milotic to be a Tank. I honestly didn't know what the commotion was all about until I got my hands on a Feebas and evolved it to Milotic. OMG! This baby can take hits. Even against some Electric attacks, Milotic will still be standing (or slithering? haha). Skarmory was my old tank until I made Milotic. She's one of my mains now because she's a great tank that has a great offense stragety. I use Toxic and stall with Recover. Surf and Ice Beam are universal attacks that do decent damage to major damage regardless of type. Also, Milotic is great against Dragon types. I can’t find too many flaws for this beauty.

Yes, if you look at Milotic's base stats, it has a very nice SpD, but it's Def is somewhat lower than a typical bulky water's which is why it was relegated to UU. The Toxic / Recover set works decently in Battle Tower because opponents do not switch, but you might consider using Hypnosis to sleep opponents as well.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Zen Headbutt
Fire Punch / Ice Punch
Explosion
U-Turn

I intended Azelf to be a Physical Sweeper. Its Attack stats are moderately good, in my opinion. I rarely use Azelf in Battle Tower, but I use it quite often against my friends. Choice Scarf to make sure I get the first attack with Zen Headbutt or Fire Punch. I'll use Explosion if I feel that I'm stuck in a corner. The expression on people's faces after seeing an Azelf explode is priceless and effective. And I'll use U-Turn when I feel like I can do a hit and run knowing that Azelf will be useful later. Downfall, like my dislikes to most scarves, I'm stuck with one attack until I switch out and its Defense isn't that great to go against some OU.

Your set is almost standard, great job figuring out the U-Turn strategy. The only thing I would change is Adamant instead of Jolly nature for an Atk bonus; with Scarf you'll outspeed pretty much everything anyways after EVs.

Overall, your pokemon seem pretty good - just work on their EVs. However a typical Battle Tower team consists of 1 physical sweeper, 1 special sweeper, and 1 tank for balance. However, you may find yourself weak against a strong enemy physical sweeper, because neither Milotic nor Gardevoir have high physical defense. In fact, with Calm Minding Gardevoir on your team, I would recommend a tank more on the physical side, maybe Dusknoir or a stat booster like CursePert. I wouldn't recommend Skarmory in Battle Tower.

Shinies

Last edited by Sion9 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

My apologies, Registeel_Rocks. I was completely unaware and I appreciate you giving me a chance at a free rating.

Also, thanks a bunch, Sion9! The advice will most definitely be taken into consideration. The details you gave are great and easy to follow. I'll be looking more into EVs now. You guys are awesome!

http://www.facebook.com/FrankieJames
http://www.myspace.com/FrankieJames
http://FrankieGatdula.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/FrankieGatdula

California, United States - Pacific Standard Time (PST)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next