It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Gen IV Rating Center 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

My team is for Battle Tower/Friends and I am to lazy to worry about IV's and Hidden Power. My strategy is to use the pokemon that I like (some are used a lot, others aren't) and to use many offensive moves and pokemon with good variety in movesets to keep my opponent from walling any of the sweepers. As far as Battle Tower, I usually win but against freinds and the very occasional Wi-Fi battle I usually loose, probably because my strategy is to straightforward. I do not have a designated starter. I am open to the idea of re-breeding if the suggested changes are substantial enough too.

{houndoom} @Focus Band
Early Bird
Naive(252 SA 252 Spd 6 HP)

Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Crunch/Dark Pulse

Houndoom is my favorite, but probably not best, special sweeper because he is strong, reasonably fast, and has a great movepool (in my novice opinion). He is for dealing as much damage as possible in the span of the 2 or 3 hits he can take and so far he has done well. I cannot decide between Crunch, for not being walled by special blockers like Blissey and to potentially lower SD stat, or Dark Pulse, to benefit from the much larger SA stat and occasional flinching. Blazikens and Infernapes are a problem but I don't see those to often.

{starmie} @Shell Bell
Natural Cure
Modest(252 SA 252 Spd 6 HP)

Psychic
Ice Beam
Surf
Thunderbolt

Starmie is like Houndoom, do a lot of damage to a lot of different type of pokemon. I was debating on replacing (I am not sure what yet) something with Rapid Spin to get rid of Spikes but I don't usually switch Pokemon unless they die because their movepools are diverse enough that the one extra shot usually kills or almost kills the pokemon that switches in. Just gotta hope there isn't a Shedinja.

{tyranitar} @Quick Claw
Sandstream
Adamant(252 Atk 124 Def 131 SD)

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Outrage
Crunch

With Tyrantiar's massive Attack stat I have found nothing, in Battle Tower, that can take more then two hits to bring down. If a fast fighting, water, ect. type comes out he can usually take at least 1 hit and if I'm lucky quick claw will come in and kill them before they even get a shot off. I am not fond of slow pokemon but I have made some exceptions for a more balanced team.

{steelix} @Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish(252 Def 252 HP 6 SD)

Sand Tomb
Iron Tail
Explosion/Sandstorm
Rock Slide

The point of Steelix is to block physical sweepers and hold them there with Sand Tomb while it either slowly beats it to death or switch to a sweeper. I am not sure if I wanted Sandstorm because Tyranitar can use it just by sending it out but I have also found a lot of use out of Explosion so I cannot decide. This is a pokemon that is amazing in the tower, it has never died for me, but dreadfull against human players but so far I have found no alternates.

{salamence} @Razor Fang
Intimidate
Jolly(252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP)

Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Aerial Ace
Earthquake/?

Salamence is like Houndoom and Starmie but in physical form. I rely on him to get rid of the fighting, bug, and grass types that are so effective against my team and Dragon Claw is for STAB and I could not think of a good fourth spot so I used Earthquake for the high BP. Razor Fang is to help keep the foe from retaliating if they know an Ice or Dragon attack.

{shuckle} @Leftovers/Brightpowder
Sturdy
Sassy(252 SD 252 HP 6 Def)

Double Team
Safeguard
Toxic
Swagger/Sandstorm/Protect/Rock Slide/Rest

Shuckle is to annoy the heck out of the opponent and be a SD and Def wall. He comes in, uses safeguard, then double teams up, pops a toxic, then waits. I am not sure what I want the last slot to be. I would prefer an attack that nothing is immune to (like Rock Slide) but Swagger and Protect add to the annoyance factor, Rest for longevity, and Sandstorm to kill the opponent faster. Steel pokemon are immune to Shuckle but besides that he can kill a lot of things very slowly.

Well that's my team. If I didn't put something in the attack/attack/attack list up there and you think it is a good idea please feel free to recommend it, it just means that I have not thought of it. I really appreciate whoever helps me with this because I am a novice at putting together competitive teams, I am just so used to fighting the predictable CPU's.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:54 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

vxv/ read and apply this if you want a rate:
Your team should look like this wrote:

A short introduction of the team. This includes mentioning:
what kind of battling environment the team will be used in (WiFi, Shoddy Battle, PBR, Battle Tower, etc)
----------
Only post teams that are meant to be competitive
----------
What tier you wish to use this team in - Overused, Underused, Ubers, or no tier at all.
----------
A short description of the pokemon - I would suggest aiming for about 5 sentences, but anything from about 3-10 is fine (1-2 sentence descriptions are unacceptable). Here, describe the purpose of the pokemon - why did you choose this specific pokemon, with this specific moveset, over the other 492 pokemon there are?
----------
Do not post incomplete teams.
----------
Do not post more than one team per month. I don't care if they're different. Posting multiple teams just causes more backlog, which is exactly what we want to avoid with making a new center.

123gojj wrote:
My team is for Battle Tower/Friends and I am to lazy to worry about IV's and Hidden Power. My strategy is to use the pokemon that I like (some are used a lot, others aren't) and to use many offensive moves and pokemon with good variety in movesets to keep my opponent from walling any of the sweepers. As far as Battle Tower, I usually win but against freinds and the very occasional Wi-Fi battle I usually loose, probably because my strategy is to straightforward. I do not have a designated starter. I am open to the idea of re-breeding if the suggested changes are substantial enough too.

{houndoom} @Focus Band
Early Bird
Naive(252 SA 252 Spd 6 HP)

Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Crunch/Dark Pulse

Houndoom is my favorite, but probably not best, special sweeper because he is strong, reasonably fast, and has a great movepool (in my novice opinion). He is for dealing as much damage as possible in the span of the 2 or 3 hits he can take and so far he has done well. I cannot decide between Crunch, for not being walled by special blockers like Blissey and to potentially lower SD stat, or Dark Pulse, to benefit from the much larger SA stat and occasional flinching. Blazikens and Infernapes are a problem but I don't see those to often.

Try going with:
Timid, same EVs @ Focus sash/Salac berry
-Flamethrower
-Dark pulse
-Nasty Plot
-Reversal
NP gives more power to flamethrower than sunny day as well as powers dark pulse up, use the sash to get the NP up or salac to make him outspeed most non-scarf opponents (but he may be OHKOd). Reversal to hurt special walls once the sash or salac is used. Ability can be either, but early bird probably benefits more as your team has no big fire weakness.

123gojj wrote:
{starmie} @Shell Bell
Natural Cure
Modest(252 SA 252 Spd 6 HP)

Psychic
Ice Beam
Surf
Thunderbolt

Starmie is like Houndoom, do a lot of damage to a lot of different type of pokemon. I was debating on replacing (I am not sure what yet) something with Rapid Spin to get rid of Spikes but I don't usually switch Pokemon unless they die because their movepools are diverse enough that the one extra shot usually kills or almost kills the pokemon that switches in. Just gotta hope there isn't a Shedinja.

Once again Timid nature would be best, but only if you choose to IV breed a 31 in speed. so you can match speed with gengar. If you want to get rapid spin in take out Psychic, as elec/ice/water has great coverage. Also leftovers if you don't play by item clause.

123gojj wrote:

{tyranitar} @Quick Claw
Sandstream
Adamant(252 Atk 124 Def 131 SD)

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Outrage
Crunch

With Tyrantiar's massive Attack stat I have found nothing, in Battle Tower, that can take more then two hits to bring down. If a fast fighting, water, ect. type comes out he can usually take at least 1 hit and if I'm lucky quick claw will come in and kill them before they even get a shot off. I am not fond of slow pokemon but I have made some exceptions for a more balanced team.

Looks good, SD EV's aren't too needed with sandstorm boosting it and can be added to HP. Stone edge may be better then rock slide as rock slide's flinch isn't getting used. Ice punch/beam is probably a better option than Outrage in most cases. Quick claw is somewhat unreliable and can be replaced with a chople berry or Life orb. You can try Dragon dance over any of the moves to get speed/attack up and attempt a sweep

123gojj wrote:

{steelix} @Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish(252 Def 252 HP 6 SD)

Sand Tomb
Iron Tail
Explosion/Sandstorm
Rock Slide

The point of Steelix is to block physical sweepers and hold them there with Sand Tomb while it either slowly beats it to death or switch to a sweeper. I am not sure if I wanted Sandstorm because Tyranitar can use it just by sending it out but I have also found a lot of use out of Explosion so I cannot decide. This is a pokemon that is amazing in the tower, it has never died for me, but dreadfull against human players but so far I have found no alternates.

Try this moveset
Sassy @ leftovers
-Gyro ball
-EQ
-Curse
-Explosion/Rest(w/chesto as held item)

Iron tail is inaccurate and with Steelix's low speed gyro ball become a much better STAB move. EQ hits well in tandem with gyro ball. Curse furthers his atk,def and empowers gyro ball with the speed drops. Then either explode when done or rest+chesto to help curse up for a sweep.

123gojj wrote:

{salamence} @Razor Fang
Intimidate
Jolly(252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP)

Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Aerial Ace
Earthquake/?

Salamence is like Houndoom and Starmie but in physical form. I rely on him to get rid of the fighting, bug, and grass types that are so effective against my team and Dragon Claw is for STAB and I could not think of a good fourth spot so I used Earthquake for the high BP. Razor Fang is to help keep the foe from retaliating if they know an Ice or Dragon attack.

You can replace fire fang with fire blast to hit steel-type's lower sdef stat for better damage. Aerial ace can be replaced with Outrage to do massive damage with STAB. Stone edge is also a good option for coverage. Razor Fang is unreliable but is useable. However a yache berry or Life orb may help better.

123gojj wrote:

{shuckle} @Leftovers/Brightpowder
Sturdy
Sassy(252 SD 252 HP 6 Def)

Double Team
Safeguard
Toxic
Swagger/Sandstorm/Protect/Rock Slide/Rest

Shuckle is to annoy the heck out of the opponent and be a SD and Def wall. He comes in, uses safeguard, then double teams up, pops a toxic, then waits. I am not sure what I want the last slot to be. I would prefer an attack that nothing is immune to (like Rock Slide) but Swagger and Protect add to the annoyance factor, Rest for longevity, and Sandstorm to kill the opponent faster. Steel pokemon are immune to Shuckle but besides that he can kill a lot of things very slowly.

Double team and brightpowder are banned in most competitive groups, however if where you play is fair game then this can be quite effective. Go with rest over safeguard as it removes status as well as heals. And I say Swagger is best for the last move, as this set is based around the luck of not being hit. Also you may want to work stealth rock in your team somewhere to benefit swagger.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ughhh I spent 30 mins posting my team and it logged me out -_-, I'll fix it later.

Last edited by NickSwift on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Nick swift please add:

Battle environment you want to use the team in.

5 sentence-ish description for each poke.

Also nature and abilities for each poke.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:21 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Heres my Doubles Team
Ninjask {ninjask} w/ Bright powder (It will be legal)
Speed boost
Jolly
EVs SP 252 AT 252 HP 4
Dig
X-scissor
Metal claw
Roost

Speed sweep
This Pokemon job is to sweep All other Speed sweepers especally Weavile
Metal claw take out aerodactyl and roost Heals 1/2 and removes it flying weakness
Dig covers jolteon and eletrode, Bug move alakazam

Weavile {weavile} w/ muscle band
Pressure
Jolly
EVs SD 252 AT 252 HP4
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Brick break
Aerial Ace / Other?

Speed physical sweep follow up
Takes downs Everything else
Ice punch Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Swellow, Crobat (Maybe if its not EVd)
Brick Brick Blissey Regi's
Nightslash lati's, Cresselia, Lake spirits, Metagross.

Alakazam {alakazam} w/ wise glasses
Syncronize
Modest
EVs 252 SP 252 SA 4 HP
Psychic
Focus Blast
Charge beam
Shadow ball

Special Sweeper
Nothing major here
Psychic = STAB
Ghost + Fighting All around coverage
Charge beam High chance of rasieing SA without losing a turn

Hariyama {hariyama} w/flame orb
Guts
Adamant
EVs HP 252 AT 252 SD 6
Facade
Revenge
Payback
Bullet punch/ OTHER

Physical tank,
with flame orb guts boosts AT by 50% and Facade to 140 BP Revenge and Payback are good because Hariyama is slow and then they will do double damage most likely
Earthquake is optional I was also thinking bullet punch to finish things off.

Vaporeon {vaporeon} w/ lax incense
Water Absorb
Modest
EVs HP 252 SA 252 DF 4
Icy wind / Blizzard
Muddy water / Brine
Mud slap
Aqua Ring

Special Tank
Lowers accuracy with mud slap, muddy water, and lax incense
Aqua ring heals it each turn
and both muddy water and icy wind/blizzard hit two foes

Claydol {claydol} w/ leftovers
Levitate
Bold
EVs 128 SD 128 DF 252 HP
Protect
Cosmic Power
Earth Power
Ice beam

Wall
Same Idea that Vespiquen was but with better typage
Cosmic Power = Rasie both defensive stats
Protect = heal a bit
Earth power = STAB
Ice covers almost everything else

but vespiquen had a healing move, a smige more HP and pressure
Roost was less effective than I thought because it would usally go last and thus no benefit to vespiquen

Last edited by /vXv\ on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ok here`s my shoddy team:

{salamence} @ yache berry
Adamant 252 Atk, 252 Speed
DD
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang

I send this out first and try to sweep with it. Usually works. Yache berry prevents ice ohkos, and fire fang counters ice and steel pokes.

{umbreon} @ lefties
Bold 252 Atk, 252 HP
Curse
Payback
Wish
Secret Power Flying

My lil tank. I use curse like made, wish, then payback/sp flying if they send in fighting/bug.

{swampert} @ lefties
Adamant 252 Atk, 252 HP
EQ
Surf
Ice Punch
HP Grass

I use EQ/surf for stab. This thing is a great tank, only problem is grass pokes :((((((( Ice punch does great against dragons.

{infernape} @ focus sash
Naive 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Blaze Kick
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Thunderpunch

This is great, close combat owns blissey, snorlax, etc. Blaze kick is great stab, thunderpunch owns birds and water types.

{porygonz} @ salac berry
Timid 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Nasty Plot
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

I love this. If I can tank a hit and activate salac + use nasty plot, I can sweep anything.

{gengar} @ focus sash
Timid 252 Spd 252 SpA
HP Grass
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

I like HP grass to anti swampert. Focus blast works good against normal types. I use focus sash because whenever I face another gengar I lose on the speed tie :(

Any advice on natures, items, movesets, EVs, or types would be awesome :)

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:16 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Although I don't agree with everything said about my team, I made a few adjustments.

{infernape} @ focus sash
Naive 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Fake out
Fire Blast
Close Combat
Stealth Rock

Played a few rounds with this. Fake out, stealth rock, survive with 1 HP and try to sweep or switch out.

{umbreon} @ lefties
Impish 252 Hp, 100 SpDef, 158 Def
Mean Look
Payback
Curse
Wish

This is amazing if you play it right. Send it out against the right type and I can sweep with it. If I think I can tank some hits from my opponent I use mean look, then wish, curse, curse, wish, curse till max, then sweep with payback.

{swampert} @ lefties
Impish
252 HP 129 Def 129 Spdef
Eathquake
Ice Punch
Waterfall
Roar

I usually use this to test to see if an annoyer has thunder wave. Its a good anti fire, poison, electric, steel, rock, bird, and dragon sweeper. Good tank too.

DD
EQ
Outrage
Fire Blast

I usually try to get 1-2 DD's then I sweep.

{porygon-z} @ scarf
Modest 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed
Ice Beam
Tri Attack
T-bolt
Dark Pulse

With download it usually raises it's special attack, then I can use a super effective move, or even tri attack is great.

{azelf} @ life orb
Timid 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
Energy Ball

Anti-ghost, fast, takes out swampert, and counters scizor/bronzong/forretress.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

/vXv\ wrote:
Heres my Doubles Team
Ninjask {ninjask} w/ Bright powder (It will be legal)
Speed boost
Jolly
EVs SP 252 AT 252 HP 4
Dig
X-scissor
Metal claw
Roost

Speed sweep
This Pokemon job is to sweep All other Speed sweepers especally Weavile
Metal claw take out aerodactyl and roost Heals 1/2 and removes it flying weakness
Dig covers jolteon and eletrode, Bug move alakazam

I'm not huge with doubles, but ninjask isn't a great poke to use there as it's ko'd easily. if you insist on using it try:
Jolly @ Brightpowder or no item
176HP 252ATK 80SPD
-Protect
-U-turn
-Night slash/Thief (use no item so it acts like knock off)
-Baton pass (Speed boosts)

Protect to scout and U-turn or BP to get a counter in, thief to rob leftovers from "follow me" walls or others.

/vXv\ wrote:
Weavile {weavile} w/ muscle band
Pressure
Jolly
EVs SD 252 AT 252 HP4
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Brick break
Aerial Ace / Other?

Speed physical sweep follow up
Takes downs Everything else
Ice punch Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Swellow, Crobat (Maybe if its not EVd)
Brick Brick Blissey Regi's
Nightslash lati's, Cresselia, Lake spirits, Metagross.

Item could be focus sash or life orb, Fake out in the last slot assuming this is your other lead.

/vXv\ wrote:
Alakazam {alakazam} w/ wise glasses
Syncronize
Modest
EVs 252 SP 252 SA 4 HP
Psychic
Focus Blast
Charge beam
Shadow ball

Special Sweeper
Nothing major here
Psychic = STAB
Ghost + Fighting All around coverage
Charge beam High chance of rasieing SA without losing a turn

Use timid nature, there's many pokes that will outspeed him otherwise, Signal beam over Focus blast if you want more accuracy. Like ninjask, alakazam isn't a good doubles player due to his fragility. If you have ninjask passing a speed or two Magnezone or Heatran is a good option in place here.

/vXv\ wrote:

Hariyama {hariyama} w/flame orb
Guts
Adamant
EVs HP 252 AT 252 SD 6
Facade
Revenge
Payback
Bullet punch/ OTHER

Physical tank,
with flame orb guts boosts AT by 50% and Facade to 140 BP Revenge and Payback are good because Hariyama is slow and then they will do double damage most likely
Earthquake is optional I was also thinking bullet punch to finish things off.

For guts setups Machamp and Heracross do better due to their speed and for heracross his unique resistances. Hariyama is best acting defensive. For your set in the last slot T-punch or Stone edge would be best though bullet punch isn't horrible. Personally if you insist on hariyama try:

Impish @ Guts
252HP 120ATK 132DEF
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Revenge/Cross chop
-Payback

/vXv\ wrote:

Vaporeon {vaporeon} w/ lax incense
Water Absorb
Modest
EVs HP 252 SA 252 DF 4
Icy wind / Blizzard
Muddy water / Brine
Mud slap
Aqua Ring

Special Tank
Lowers accuracy with mud slap, muddy water, and lax incense
Aqua ring heals it each turn
and both muddy water and icy wind/blizzard hit two foes

Use a defensive nature Bold with defEVs if you wanna do a mixed wall or Calm with your current spread if you insist on doing purely special. If item clause isn't around (or you take it off ninjask) use bright powder as it's slightly better than lax incense. Go with:
Icy wind
Mud Slap
Wish
Protect/Acid armor (if you go as a special wall) or Hydro pump.

/vXv\ wrote:
Claydol {claydol} w/ leftovers
Levitate
Bold
EVs 128 SD 128 DF 252 HP
Protect
Cosmic Power
Earth Power
Ice beam

Wall
Same Idea that Vespiquen was but with better typage
Cosmic Power = Rasie both defensive stats
Protect = heal a bit
Earth power = STAB
Ice covers almost everything else

but vespiquen had a healing move, a smige more HP and pressure
Roost was less effective than I thought because it would usally go last and thus no benefit to vespiquen

Looks good. I'd stay with Claydol. Vesp has horrid weaknesses (including stealth rock)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NickSwift wrote:
Although I don't agree with everything said about my team, I made a few adjustments.

{infernape} @ focus sash
Naive 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Fake out
Fire Blast
Close Combat
Stealth Rock

Played a few rounds with this. Fake out, stealth rock, survive with 1 HP and try to sweep or switch out.

Looks good, Sandstream leads will beat him out though. You could replace CC with sunny day, making him more of a suicide lead but being able to take out sand/hail, and by a miracle maybe getting a blaze+sday fire blast in.

NickSwift wrote:

{umbreon} @ lefties
Impish 252 Hp, 100 SpDef, 158 Def
Mean Look
Payback
Curse
Wish

This is amazing if you play it right. Send it out against the right type and I can sweep with it. If I think I can tank some hits from my opponent I use mean look, then wish, curse, curse, wish, curse till max, then sweep with payback.

If you can switch it in on the right things it'll do well, but you may have more luck with a rest+chesto to keep status/toxic spikes away. However with wish you do have the option of healing others which may aid better if you can't set up.

NickSwift wrote:

{swampert} @ lefties
Impish
252 HP 129 Def 129 Spdef
Eathquake
Ice Punch
Waterfall
Roar

I usually use this to test to see if an annoyer has thunder wave. Its a good anti fire, poison, electric, steel, rock, bird, and dragon sweeper. Good tank too.

Due to swapmert's speed avalanche is usually a better option than Ice punch, also if you choose to run his EV's purely defensive make defense 1 point lower to ruin Download for pory-z sets.

NickSwift wrote:

DD
EQ
Outrage
Fire Blast

I usually try to get 1-2 DD's then I sweep.

Yache isn't as great on him than it was on garchomp, Try a jolly nature with life orb to best sweep or lum to allow him to switch in on status.

NickSwift wrote:

{porygon-z} @ scarf
Modest 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed
Ice Beam
Tri Attack
T-bolt
Dark Pulse

With download it usually raises it's special attack, then I can use a super effective move, or even tri attack is great.

Looks good, You can try Timid nature and Trick over Dark Pulse to screw over walls like blissey.

NickSwift wrote:
{azelf} @ life orb
Timid 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
Energy Ball

Anti-ghost, fast, takes out swampert, and counters scizor/bronzong/forretress.

Looks good for what it's there to counter.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

So I got bored of the OU environment, and started thinking about a UU team. I've tried this out on Shoddy and I've been beating a lot of OU teams, which is a great sign. The team really shines in UU battles though.

{scyther} @ Choice Scarf / Scouter Lead & Physical Sweeper
Jolly / Technician
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spd
Aerial Ace
U-Turn
Pursuit
Quick Attack

Sure, Scyther does have a quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock, which limits its ability to switch in. It may not be as powerful as its evolved form, Scizor, but in the UU environment, Scyther may as well take the title of the most fearsome Bug pokémon around. With its blinding speed, decent defenses, and respectable attack power, it makes a great lead. Hitting 465 speed with a choice scarf and 144 speed EVs, it can outrun just about anything (even Ninjask, but only on the first turn) that isn’t scarfed. STABed U-Turn can definitely hurt a ton, especially with so many Dark and Psychic types around. I’ve noticed that U-Turn is Scyther’s primary source of offense, as it permits Scyther to inflict massive damage without even taking a hit. Before evolving into Scizor, Scyther had Flying-type characteristics, so it would make sense to have a flying-type move on the set. With Scyther’s ability Technician, and the STAB boost, Aerial Ace’s base power reaches 135 (that’s pretty powerful for an attack that never misses). Brick Break is there fore coverage reasons, as it hits Rock, Steel, Normal, and Ice. However, it is unlikely that Scyther will even be staying in when up against Rock, Steel, and Ice-type opponents, because it fears a Stone Edge or Ice Beam/Ice Punch. I was thinking of replacing it with Quick Attack, which has a base power of 60 with Scyther’s Technician boost. It may not be Scizor’s Bullet Punch, and it may not have the coverage, but it is Scyther’s only priority move, and can be used to finish off weakened opponents. Pursuit is used in the circumstance where a Psychic type fears an X-Scissor or U-Turn and switches out.

{gallade} @ Life Orb / Physical Sweeper
Adamant / Steadfast
64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Close Combat
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Swords Dance / Shadow Sneak

Okay, so it’s in the Limbo Tier. At least it’s not OU. It may not have the speed of the majority of OU physical sweepers, but its awesome movepool and coverage, along with its ability to take special hits makes up for this. It has access to Fighting, Dark, Bug, Rock, Ice and Grass-type moves; it can even learn Earthquake (not that anyone actually uses it). Add that to its beastly attack stat and you get one dangerous and unpredictable foe to face. While it has a weakness on the physical side as its defense stat is only 65, it will have plenty of opportunities to set up at least one Swords Dance because of its bulky base 115 special defense. It can pretty much switch into any special attack that isn't Shadow Ball or Air Slash. Being part Fighting, Gallade also gains a very important neutrality to Dark-type attacks. Plus, many pokémon fear it in the first place because of its versatility. Close Combat's power and STAB boost obviously earns its spot on Gallade's moveset; not a lot of things will enjoy taking a Close Combat from something as beast as Gallade. I was debating between X-Scissor and Night Slash; X-Scissor hits Dark and Psychic types, while Night Slash hits Psychic and Ghost types. Psycho Cut is also an option on Gallade, as it provides a secondary STAB move. However, it doesn't have very good coverage, and Night Slash also OHKOs Gengar and can hit other would-be Ghost-type counters. Ice Punch gives Gallade even better coverage, as it hits Ground, Grass, Flying, and Dragon-types. It completely owns Gliscor as well, which is a common switch-in to Gallade. Wheras Swords Dance Gallade is extremely fearsome, giving it so much power is kind of excessive. Gallade is without a doubt slow for a sweeper, so it may need a priority move to surmount this weakness. Shadow Sneak, although not STABed, is enough to finish off any damaged Gengars, Mismaigiuses, and Alakazams who think they'll get the first strike.

{blastoise} @ Leftovers / Rapid Spinner & Physical Wall
Bold / Torrent
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Surf
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Toxic

Let's all admit it; Blastoise is a tank. I mean, come on. What other pokémon have cannons on their back? Well, there is Magmortar of course, who has cannons as arms. Anyways, Blastoise serves as a Rapid Spinner because of its high defenses, and overall bulkiness. It's my answer to all of the fearsome Dragon-types out there, like Salamence, Flygon, Dragonite, and Garchomp. Lanturn packs Ice Beam as well, but unlike Blastoise, it's not designed to take physical hits. With Earthquake being such a popular choice on Dragon-types, Lanturn really can't stay in to unleash an Ice Beam. Surf serves as a STAB move that can be used to handle Infernape, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and can wear down Metagross pretty fast. Toxic has 85% accuracy, which isn't that bad for a status-inducing move that takes away your opponent's life. Although it doesn't have the anti-sweeping capabilities as Thunder Wave does, the damage from poison can really start to accumulate if the other team doesn't have an Aromatherapist. Finally, being a Water type, Blastoise is weak to Electric and Grass-type attacks. It serves as perfect bait to allow Lanturn to restore HP from Electric attacks. Grass Knot is probably the most common Grass-type attack; it seems like all special sweepers carry it, and it really doesn't do too much damage to Lanturn anyways.

{lanturn} @ Leftovers / Special Sponge & Tank
Calm / Volt Absorb
120 HP / 136 SAtk / 252 SDef
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt / Discharge
Thunder Wave

At first glance, Lanturn looks like a horrible choice for a wall, as it only has a special defense stat in the high 70s and an HP stat of 120. However, it is one of the only pokémon that resist the ubiquitous Bolt-Beam combination, and it resists Flamethrower and Surf as well. In other words, this little fishie walls the HELL out of Starmie and its it back hard with STABed Thunderbolts or Discharges. Starmie may pack Grass Knot, but Lanturn barely takes any damage from it because the thing weighs literally nothing. Although less common on Starmie, Psychic, although STABed, will not do much to Lantrun as well. Lanturn actually likes the move Trick; if Starmie Tricks a Choice Specs onto Lanturn, it becomes even more of a tank because its Special Attacks skyrockets to over 300. A Choice Scarf speed boost may even come in handy as well. However, I don't think anybody would be senseless enough to Trick a Choice Specs onto a Lantrun. Althogh known for its ability to sponge special attacks, Lanturn can even take physical hits fairly well, because of its high HP. However, if it takes too many hits or if the physical attack is called Earthquake, Lanturn won't be around for very long. Some special attacks EVs were invested into Lanturn's spread to maximize the effectiveness of Lanturn's STABed special attacks. I love it when Dragon-types like Salamence and Dragonite go up against Lanturn; they think they can freely set up a Dragon Dance on it, but then Lanturn ends up oblieterating them with its Ice Beam. Thunder Wave is an obvious choice on Lanturn, as it cripples fast sweepers that would otherwise outspeed my team. It's also so obvious that people will be switching into ground types like Gliscor, Rhyperior, and Donphan just to dodge the Thunder Wave. This gives me the opportunity to outpredict them and give them a nice Surf or Ice Beam as switch-in gift.

{mesprit} @ Leftovers / Stealth Rock Set-up & Physical Wall
Bold / Levitate
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SAtk
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave

Some people say that having a pokémon that is too balanced is a bad thing, but in Mesprit's case, it gives it an advantage over its counterparts Azelf and Uxie. With its base 105 defenses, it's a lot bulkier than Azelf, and it can take a lot more hits, and at the same time it can hit a lot harder than Uxie with its base 105 offensive stats. Mesprit is my answer to Gyarados and Infernape. Wheras Lanturn packs Thunderbolt as well, it won't be staying in because of the Earthquake that will without a doubt OHKO it. Plus, it will be quite obvious that Lanturn packs Thunderbolt in the first place. Mesprit dodges the EQ completely. and can surely do serious damage to Gyarados with Thunderbolt. Psychic is there for fighters like Infernape and Machamp, but especially Infernape (Machamp can learn Payback, which can hurt Mesprit). Close Combat and Dynamicpunch are easily walled by Mesprit anyways. It does have a problem with handling special attacks, but with Bug-type being primarily physical, and Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball being the only two common Dark and Ghost-type special-based moves, Azelf will find a way to stay around.

{shaymin} @ Choice Specs / Special Sweeper
Timid / Natural Cure
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Seed Flare
Earth Power
Air Slash
Hidden Power (Fire)

I mean, come on. This little green hedgehog is cute AND awesome. This Shaymin-L here tries to pull a Shaymin-S because Shaymin-S is banned in UU according to smogon [ =( ]. Anyways, Shaymin-L is bulkier, so it's all good. Seed Flare is IMO the ownagest Grass type attack ever, and it is after all, Shaymin's signature move. Earth Power and Air Slash are awesome coverage options. Earth Power nails Heatran (which I will obviously paralyze beforehand, in case it's Scarfed), and Air Slash kills Apes that wan to switch in. HP Fire is a Scizor killer. muahahahaha.

--or--

{shaymin} @ Life Orb / Special Sweeper & Aromatherapist
Timid / Natural Cure
36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Seed Flare
Hidden Power (Fire)
Aromatherapy
Rest

Natural Cure ftw. This version of Shaymin may not have the coverage of the last one, but relies on the awesome attack Seed Flare lowering the opponent's special defense. HP Fire is primarily for Skarmory but can also work on Forty and Scizor and other Steels / Bugs. Aromatherapy is there in case my sweepers have been paralysed or burned (if Scyther gets paralysed it's pretty much screwed), but this could also be exchanged for Leech Seed for annoyance. Rest is obviously the best recovery option because of Shaymin's ability, Natural Cure. It heals status problems as well, which is beyond awesome.

The second set is used when I'm playing on NetBattle and Platinum sets are not yet updated (boo).

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:57 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'm copy-pasting your team into the first post, FrozenVirus because that is the absolute BEST RMT post I have seen on this forum EVER.This is the kind of effort I want to see every time, folks. Learn from the man/woman/none of the above/etc.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:17 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thanks. I feel honoured. ^^
Hm...it seems most of the raters aren't exactly that active.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:56 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

FrozenVirus, I shall rate yours tomorrow, if no one beates me to it, and if I have time.

Also, sorry about the lack of rates on my part, I have been busy training a couple of teams worth of Pokémon, and had exams and stuff in school. But now, I am back and ready to rate.

Image Image
And Umberia from Afonso. Click my sig if you want one like it

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:40 pm
is very close to getting banned

Location: Hiding in that dark corner of the room, waiting for you to drop your gaurd.
This team has a collection of powerful pokemon, but few real tanks. I try to keep away from generic elemental pokemon (Flotzel, Rapidash, Starters, Pikachu, etc.) since they are well known and often teams are built to thrash them.

Ok here I go...(This team is built specificly for double battles, but works well normally too)

{weavile} @ King's Rock / Phsycal Sweeper
Jolly / Pressure
255 Spd/ 255 Atk
Slash
Iron Tail
Swords Dance
Shadow Claw

Weaviles Attack and Speed make him good for quick physical KO's, and combined with Lucario, they can handle most openers with the exception of water pokemon. His speed is so high that it is higher than that of most pokemon 10 levels higher than it. Due to his low defence he gets hit hard and only can take 1-3 hard hits. I gave him a kings rock to help prevent taking damage; his speed makes him almost always go first and the rock make enemies he hits flich.

{lucario} @ Black Belt / Phsyical Sweeper and Physical Tank
Careful / Inner Foocus
50 Spd/ 155 Atk/ 50 Def/ 50 SDef/ 55 HP/ 100 SAtk
Drain Punch
Brick Break /Couldn't find a better move
Extremespeed
Close Combat

Lucario is better rounded than Weavile and compliments him in a double battle. Most targets, including NPC trainers, shoot for him, biding a little more time for Weavile to swords dance and then tear up enemies. He can also hold his own as far as attack goes, since he has a good attack stat. When he takes heavy hits, I use drain punch when low on health to bring him back up to speed.

{togekiss} @ Bright Powder / Tank
Sassy / Hustle
100 SAtk/ 100 SDef/ 155 Def/ 155 HP
Fire Blast
Psychic
Hyper Beam
Shadow Ball

Once one of my openers is taken out, Togekiss comes in to take a hit or two, and deal out three or four. It has considerable special defence, HP, and special attack plus decent defence. I used EV's to somewhat even out Togekiss's defences so that it can take either kind of hit. It has only a few weaknesses: Electric, but there are very few electric pokemon, and rock, which nobody seems to realize is super effective against flying. It also has enough special attack, and a large enough variety of moves, that it can KO a few pokemon too.

Blissey or Snorelax are also options for me Since they have higher HP and defences, but I'm not sure I'm willing to trade that for togekiss's high special attack, any advice?

{gardevoir} @ Big Root / Dream Sucker & Special Tank
Calm / Synchronize
255 SAtk/ 255 SDef
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Magical Leaf
Psychic

With a special attack thats hard to beat, Gardevoir can deal some heavy damage. I also swap gardevoir in for tricky opponents who use moves like Double Team and Sand Attack, so I can use Gardevoir's Magical leaf's perfect aim. My main purpose for Gardevoir was to put pokemon to sleep, but I found Dream eater far to hard to resist.

I've been toying with the idea of Alakazam and placing in more offencive STAB moves, any advice?

{gengar} @ Black Sludge / Dream Sucker & Pest
Modest / Levitate
255 SAtk/255 Spd
Confuse Ray
Hypnosis
Nightmare
Shadow Ball

Works well with Gardevoir, since they both have a huge focus on hypnosis. Gengar is immune to 3 types of attacks: Ground, Normal, and Fighting. He also acts as a pest with a combination of Hypnosis and Confuse Ray.

*Might replace with Mismagius*

{flygon} @ Soft Sand / High hitter
Jolly / Levitate
255 Atk/ 155 Spd/ 100 SAtk
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Earth Power
Draco Meteor

With decent physical and special attacks Flygon can deal signifigant damage to both Special and Physical Tanks alike. Flygon learns Ground moves like earthquake and Earth power to deal high physical damage. Being dragon type, Flygon can learn one sweet special attack as well, Draco meteor. Combine that with dragons resitence to most types, immunity to ground attacks, and some good resistenes from it's ground type, and you get a very powerful pokemon.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

25 posts. Check.

I have been a bit MIA since this new thread was made. Here is my repost from the old thread here.

{gengar}
Gengar @Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA / 6 HP/ 252 Spe
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Obviously a standard Gengar, my special sweeper. I currently have a Wide Lens on it for Focus Blast, but Life Orb hopefully would give that extra bit of power to OHKO what I need it to. I got it leading because it really can't take any hits.

{crobat}
Crobat @Leftovers
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
U-Turn
Aerial Ace
Hypnosis
Mean Look

I am going with the Trapper set for this Crobat. Hopefully his speed is able to keep them from switching and keeps them asleep when he U-turns to the pokemon that is best suited for beating the trapped pokemon.

{dugtrio}
Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Rock Slide
Night Slash

Got him to put some ease on Crobat's mean look with his ability. I chose the Life Orb rather than the choice route for the use of different moves. I picked Rock Slide over Stone Edge for the fliching aspect.

{weavile}
Weavile @Choice Band
Jolly
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Pursuit
Ice Shard
Brick Break
Night Slash

Goin for the physical sweeper with this one. Choice band because with all the switching that could be happening in this team, the downside to the item won't be much of problem.

{weezing}
Weezing @Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Sludge Bomb
Will-o-wisp
Haze
Pain Splint

This is my defense sponge. Will-o-wisp with give some DoT that could be helpful. Haze will help with statuses.

{snorlax}
Snorlax @Leftovers
Careful
244 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpD
Rest
Sleep Talk
Bod Slam
Earthquake

More of my special wall. As good as Blissey is, I just can't bring myself to use it. Its just personal preference. To me it is boring using only the best. I could be sounding like a hypocrite considering the rest of my team, but I just see Blissey on most teams I have looked at and I don't want to use it.

Gengar and Crobat are two personal favorites of mine, so I am really not to keen on replacing either of them, but suggestions on making them work better are welcome. I don't want to use any of the legendaries in my teams. Personal preference. And I have already spoken my thoughts on Blissey. I know that three are poison and poison tends to be weak, but the speed of mine, other than my defensive ones hopefully will make up for some of the weaknesses that are in the team. I hope this gets me a little more cred, I really put some thought into this.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:44 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well I figured I’d give this a shot. This is the team I’ve been running on Wi-Fi/Battle Revolution and have had a lot of success with it, even running up against solid Uber run line ups it seems to stand its own. Please note this team is designed for DOULBE battles, which is how I prefer to fight. So for me, a lot more is taken into consideration then just attacks but how well they support each other is important to my overall strategy. I also know the team is a bit heavy on a weakness to fighting but it still doesn’t seem to have a problem with it.

Team Highlights:
1. Any Pokemon can be the ‘lead’ slot and have another as a back up. I’ve been able to interchange them all with success and have won battles with various pairs.
2. This team shows a really affective use of Skill Swap and Truant. While being the main idea behind the team it is not required to be used at all and the team has been proven to win just as often.

Team Breakdown
Game: Platinum
Name: Skill Swap-Traunt

1. {blissey} Blissey @ Leftovers/ Tank & Wall
Calm
Natural Cure 252 Speed/252 Defense/ 6 Special Defense
-Sing
- Aromatherapy
-Skill Swap
-Ice Beam

Blissey is the main factor that makes my combo/style of the team work. Knowing the fragile defense stat I opted to counter the common physical damage problem. This allows her to eat up things like earthquake without a problem. Secondly the high special defense allows her to act as a traditional special wall. Overall this makes her a Physical and Special wall, pulling double duty. I increased her speed to allow for Skill Swap to be used faster when needed. She can also now out speed some Pokemon and Skill Swap to catch people by surprise. The extent of use of the move Skill Swap will be explained with her partner. Sing allows for some stall time if it hits and Aromatherapy allows me to heal status problems on my own team. Ice Beam for an attack. No point in healing her she never does enough damage.

2. {slaking} Slaking @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf* / Physical Sweeper
**This is one of the ‘problems’ with my team is picking the choice item with him.
Adamant
Truant 252 Attack/252 Speed/ 6 Defense
-Ice Punch
-Return
-Shadow Claw
-Earthquake

I know most people would think I would be crazy to use a Pokemon that can’t attack every turn but here me out, on this team I don’t have to worry about Truant; in fact it becomes a large headache for my opponent. I always pair him with Blissey when starting a match or even for an end game scenario and hold the pair for last. I use Skill Swap to move Truant from Slaking to Blissey, freeing the beats massive attack stat and forces Blissey to loft around for a turn which doesn’t hurt her at all. After words I will Skill swap the Traunt again to an opponent’s Pokemon, forcing them to rethink how they are fighting. Even if the Pokemon is called back, Slaking still free of its hindering ability and if I recall him and Blissey is still around, I am free to use the move over and over.

**My main problem with Slaking is the use of the Choice Item. Band allows for an insane attack power while scarf pushes his speed and allowed him to still pack quiet a punch but does it in a quicker manner. I’ve used both on him and have had positive results.

3. {porygon-z} Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs/ Special Sweeper
Modest
Adaptability 252 Speed/ 252 Special Attack/ 6 Defense
-Tri-Attack
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Signal Beam

This is your ‘standard’ Spec’s Z with an added twist on the team. Z can hold his own no matter what I partner him with, thus is frees me if the team’s original idea/goal fails. While he can really pack a punch to anything but a foe’s Blissey I have the added option of using is Adaptability with Skill Swap. Given Z is a bit on the fragile side I am able to move his ability onto Blissey just before he is knocked out (generally) and then pass this skill to whomever is coming in to replace him. I find this especially deadly with my DD Gyarados with Waterfall or my LO Zapdos with Thunderbolt, The choice King with Return, ect. It can be useful/moved onto any of his teammates.

4. {gyarados} Gyarados @ Focus Slash
Adamant
Intimidate 252 Attack/252 Speed/ 6 Hit Points
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance

Again this is rather typical DD Gyarados but given Life Orb is already used by his team mate I opted for Focus Slash to allow him to survive a heavy electric attack and act as a near revenge killer. DD is a standard first turn move, focus slash allows him to live no matter what. With Skill Swap and Intimidate I can actually get two uses out of it without switching Pokemon. Not to much else I can say about him, it kinda speaks for itself. Physical Sweeper.

5. {zapdos} Zapdos @ Life Orb/ Alternative Special Sweeper
Timid 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Defense
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-Air Cutter

Given most people wouldn’t expect an offensive Zapdos, it can cause quite a stir given it still holds its somewhat bulky nature. Only Dragons, Giratina and the Lati twins really give him to much of a walling problem but the ice coverage of the rest of the team they don’t last long. Roost allows me to heal off the damage caused by Life Orb but slows the use of Earthquake on the team. Zapdos is a common partner for Gyara/King because of his ground immunity.

6. {rampardos} Rampardos @ Salac Berry/ Alternative Physical Sweeper
Jolly @ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Defense
- Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Swords Dance

This guy is the hardest member of my team to use effectively and I’ve considered replacing him but I’m not sure with what. Swords Dance allows him to Rival king on my teams in terms of raw attack power but he’s also a bit on the fragile side. After Swords Dance his attack jumps to around 942 and look out, Groudon can’t match that. The only Pokemon he can’t hit for neutral damage is Breloom. His nature allows him to out speed Gengar and Infernape more so if the berry is in play already. Help here would be greatly thanked!

Please don't stone me if you think the entire team is crazy -ducks-

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Location: Hiding in that dark corner of the room, waiting for you to drop your gaurd.
Whoa I thought I was the only one who actualy used slaking like that!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Sorry bout the wait, tis finals week for me. I'll rate the 1st two later today at least.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:31 am

thanks! I got worried it would go from 1 week to a month.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:53 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

MasterChef wrote:
Sorry bout the wait, tis finals week for me. I'll rate the 1st two later today at least.

It's cool, man. I understand.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

FrozenVirus wrote:
So I got bored of the OU environment, and started thinking about a UU team. I've tried this out on Shoddy and I've been beating a lot of OU teams, which is a great sign. The team really shines in UU battles though.

{scyther} @ Choice Scarf / Scouter Lead & Physical Sweeper
Jolly / Technician
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spd
Aerial Ace
U-Turn
Pursuit
Quick Attack

Sure, Scyther does have a quadruple weakness to Stealth Rock, which limits its ability to switch in. It may not be as powerful as its evolved form, Scizor, but in the UU environment, Scyther may as well take the title of the most fearsome Bug pokémon around. With its blinding speed, decent defenses, and respectable attack power, it makes a great lead. Hitting 465 speed with a choice scarf and 144 speed EVs, it can outrun just about anything (even Ninjask, but only on the first turn) that isn’t scarfed. STABed U-Turn can definitely hurt a ton, especially with so many Dark and Psychic types around. I’ve noticed that U-Turn is Scyther’s primary source of offense, as it permits Scyther to inflict massive damage without even taking a hit. Before evolving into Scizor, Scyther had Flying-type characteristics, so it would make sense to have a flying-type move on the set. With Scyther’s ability Technician, and the STAB boost, Aerial Ace’s base power reaches 135 (that’s pretty powerful for an attack that never misses). Brick Break is there fore coverage reasons, as it hits Rock, Steel, Normal, and Ice. However, it is unlikely that Scyther will even be staying in when up against Rock, Steel, and Ice-type opponents, because it fears a Stone Edge or Ice Beam/Ice Punch. I was thinking of replacing it with Quick Attack, which has a base power of 60 with Scyther’s Technician boost. It may not be Scizor’s Bullet Punch, and it may not have the coverage, but it is Scyther’s only priority move, and can be used to finish off weakened opponents. Pursuit is used in the circumstance where a Psychic type fears an X-Scissor or U-Turn and switches out.

If my calc is correct 112HP gives scyther even HP, make it odd to survive two SR switch-ins (as it'll be u-turning in/out) Building off that you can use reversal in the last slot to attempt a sweep when the SR switch-ins drop him to 1hp. Also if your HP is below67% and above35% HP technician will boost reversal to 60BP. which may dent steel-types better.

FrozenVirus wrote:
{gallade} @ Life Orb / Physical Sweeper
Adamant / Steadfast
64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Close Combat
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Swords Dance / Shadow Sneak

Okay, so it’s in the Limbo Tier. At least it’s not OU. It may not have the speed of the majority of OU physical sweepers, but its awesome movepool and coverage, along with its ability to take special hits makes up for this. It has access to Fighting, Dark, Bug, Rock, Ice and Grass-type moves; it can even learn Earthquake (not that anyone actually uses it). Add that to its beastly attack stat and you get one dangerous and unpredictable foe to face. While it has a weakness on the physical side as its defense stat is only 65, it will have plenty of opportunities to set up at least one Swords Dance because of its bulky base 115 special defense. It can pretty much switch into any special attack that isn't Shadow Ball or Air Slash. Being part Fighting, Gallade also gains a very important neutrality to Dark-type attacks. Plus, many pokémon fear it in the first place because of its versatility. Close Combat's power and STAB boost obviously earns its spot on Gallade's moveset; not a lot of things will enjoy taking a Close Combat from something as beast as Gallade. I was debating between X-Scissor and Night Slash; X-Scissor hits Dark and Psychic types, while Night Slash hits Psychic and Ghost types. Psycho Cut is also an option on Gallade, as it provides a secondary STAB move. However, it doesn't have very good coverage, and Night Slash also OHKOs Gengar and can hit other would-be Ghost-type counters. Ice Punch gives Gallade even better coverage, as it hits Ground, Grass, Flying, and Dragon-types. It completely owns Gliscor as well, which is a common switch-in to Gallade. Wheras Swords Dance Gallade is extremely fearsome, giving it so much power is kind of excessive. Gallade is without a doubt slow for a sweeper, so it may need a priority move to surmount this weakness. Shadow Sneak, although not STABed, is enough to finish off any damaged Gengars, Mismaigiuses, and Alakazams who think they'll get the first strike.

Looks good, I'd stick with shadow sneak as life orb boosts his attack enough, also it pairs well with CC's drops.

FrozenVirus wrote:
{blastoise} @ Leftovers / Rapid Spinner & Physical Wall
Bold / Torrent
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Surf
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Toxic

Let's all admit it; Blastoise is a tank. I mean, come on. What other pokémon have cannons on their back? Well, there is Magmortar of course, who has cannons as arms. Anyways, Blastoise serves as a Rapid Spinner because of its high defenses, and overall bulkiness. It's my answer to all of the fearsome Dragon-types out there, like Salamence, Flygon, Dragonite, and Garchomp. Lanturn packs Ice Beam as well, but unlike Blastoise, it's not designed to take physical hits. With Earthquake being such a popular choice on Dragon-types, Lanturn really can't stay in to unleash an Ice Beam. Surf serves as a STAB move that can be used to handle Infernape, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and can wear down Metagross pretty fast. Toxic has 85% accuracy, which isn't that bad for a status-inducing move that takes away your opponent's life. Although it doesn't have the anti-sweeping capabilities as Thunder Wave does, the damage from poison can really start to accumulate if the other team doesn't have an Aromatherapist. Finally, being a Water type, Blastoise is weak to Electric and Grass-type attacks. It serves as perfect bait to allow Lanturn to restore HP from Electric attacks. Grass Knot is probably the most common Grass-type attack; it seems like all special sweepers carry it, and it really doesn't do too much damage to Lanturn anyways.

I like it, Mud slap or Mirror coat can be put in place over toxic if you want s.sweepers to fear attacking or to play luck with acc drops.

FrozenVirus wrote:

{lanturn} @ Leftovers / Special Sponge & Tank
Calm / Volt Absorb
120 HP / 136 SAtk / 252 SDef
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt / Discharge
Thunder Wave

At first glance, Lanturn looks like a horrible choice for a wall, as it only has a special defense stat in the high 70s and an HP stat of 120. However, it is one of the only pokémon that resist the ubiquitous Bolt-Beam combination, and it resists Flamethrower and Surf as well. In other words, this little fishie walls the HELL out of Starmie and its it back hard with STABed Thunderbolts or Discharges. Starmie may pack Grass Knot, but Lanturn barely takes any damage from it because the thing weighs literally nothing. Although less common on Starmie, Psychic, although STABed, will not do much to Lantrun as well. Lanturn actually likes the move Trick; if Starmie Tricks a Choice Specs onto Lanturn, it becomes even more of a tank because its Special Attacks skyrockets to over 300. A Choice Scarf speed boost may even come in handy as well. However, I don't think anybody would be senseless enough to Trick a Choice Specs onto a Lantrun. Althogh known for its ability to sponge special attacks, Lanturn can even take physical hits fairly well, because of its high HP. However, if it takes too many hits or if the physical attack is called Earthquake, Lanturn won't be around for very long. Some special attacks EVs were invested into Lanturn's spread to maximize the effectiveness of Lanturn's STABed special attacks. I love it when Dragon-types like Salamence and Dragonite go up against Lanturn; they think they can freely set up a Dragon Dance on it, but then Lanturn ends up oblieterating them with its Ice Beam. Thunder Wave is an obvious choice on Lanturn, as it cripples fast sweepers that would otherwise outspeed my team. It's also so obvious that people will be switching into ground types like Gliscor, Rhyperior, and Donphan just to dodge the Thunder Wave. This gives me the opportunity to outpredict them and give them a nice Surf or Ice Beam as switch-in gift.

Looks good, Stay with Discharge to help spread paralysis around, You can try a boltbeam rest-talker for bulk and status absorption.

FrozenVirus wrote:
{mesprit} @ Leftovers / Stealth Rock Set-up & Physical Wall
Bold / Levitate
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SAtk
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave

Some people say that having a pokémon that is too balanced is a bad thing, but in Mesprit's case, it gives it an advantage over its counterparts Azelf and Uxie. With its base 105 defenses, it's a lot bulkier than Azelf, and it can take a lot more hits, and at the same time it can hit a lot harder than Uxie with its base 105 offensive stats. Mesprit is my answer to Gyarados and Infernape. Wheras Lanturn packs Thunderbolt as well, it won't be staying in because of the Earthquake that will without a doubt OHKO it. Plus, it will be quite obvious that Lanturn packs Thunderbolt in the first place. Mesprit dodges the EQ completely. and can surely do serious damage to Gyarados with Thunderbolt. Psychic is there for fighters like Infernape and Machamp, but especially Infernape (Machamp can learn Payback, which can hurt Mesprit). Close Combat and Dynamicpunch are easily walled by Mesprit anyways. It does have a problem with handling special attacks, but with Bug-type being primarily physical, and Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball being the only two common Dark and Ghost-type special-based moves, Azelf will find a way to stay around.

I'm surprised Mesprit isn't used more often, If Lanturn has T-wave it may be unnecessary to have two pokes with it, You can put Ice beam, Lightscreen, U-turn or even try Copycat in the last slot.

FrozenVirus wrote:

{shaymin} @ Choice Specs / Special Sweeper
Timid / Natural Cure
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Seed Flare
Earth Power
Air Slash
Hidden Power (Fire)

I mean, come on. This little green hedgehog is cute AND awesome. This Shaymin-L here tries to pull a Shaymin-S because Shaymin-S is banned in UU according to smogon [ =( ]. Anyways, Shaymin-L is bulkier, so it's all good. Seed Flare is IMO the ownagest Grass type attack ever, and it is after all, Shaymin's signature move. Earth Power and Air Slash are awesome coverage options. Earth Power nails Heatran (which I will obviously paralyze beforehand, in case it's Scarfed), and Air Slash kills Apes that wan to switch in. HP Fire is a Scizor killer. muahahahaha.

--or--

{shaymin} @ Life Orb / Special Sweeper & Aromatherapist
Timid / Natural Cure
36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Seed Flare
Hidden Power (Fire)
Aromatherapy
Rest

Natural Cure ftw. This version of Shaymin may not have the coverage of the last one, but relies on the awesome attack Seed Flare lowering the opponent's special defense. HP Fire is primarily for Skarmory but can also work on Forty and Scizor and other Steels / Bugs. Aromatherapy is there in case my sweepers have been paralysed or burned (if Scyther gets paralysed it's pretty much screwed), but this could also be exchanged for Leech Seed for annoyance. Rest is obviously the best recovery option because of Shaymin's ability, Natural Cure. It heals status problems as well, which is beyond awesome.

If you use a Rest-talk Lanturn I'd go with the 1st set, but otherwise I'd use the bottom set to grab status and therapy. Otherwise good.

Overall your team looks very good. You have status covered, hazards mostly covered, and I see no gaping holes to type coverage/resistances. Great UU team :mrgreen:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flygon tamer wrote:
This team has a collection of powerful pokemon, but few real tanks. I try to keep away from generic elemental pokemon (Flotzel, Rapidash, Starters, Pikachu, etc.) since they are well known and often teams are built to thrash them.

In competitive play Flotzel, Rapidash, Pikachu and a majority of starters aren't commonly used, see the OU tier list in the D/P tiers thread for the pokes that are well known and often used. Also pokes that teams are best needed to counter.

flygon tamer wrote:
Ok here I go...(This team is built specificly for double battles, but works well normally too)

{weavile} @ King's Rock / Phsycal Sweeper
Jolly / Pressure
255 Spd/ 255 Atk
Slash
Iron Tail
Swords Dance
Shadow Claw

Weaviles Attack and Speed make him good for quick physical KO's, and combined with Lucario, they can handle most openers with the exception of water pokemon. His speed is so high that it is higher than that of most pokemon 10 levels higher than it. Due to his low defence he gets hit hard and only can take 1-3 hard hits. I gave him a kings rock to help prevent taking damage; his speed makes him almost always go first and the rock make enemies he hits flich.

Never go with 255/255 for EV's, you miss a stat point. Try 252Atk 252Spd 4HP. Actually I'd go with 40HP 252Atk and 216Spd (if the IV's are 31) to have better HP to survive attacks from other leads like Azelf's Flamethrower while still outspeeding Alakazam.
For the moveset go with:
-Fake out
-Ice punch
-Night Slash/Counter (if using focus sash for the item)
-Taunt
Fake out to break other focus sash leads, taunt to stop SR or status from going up and his two best STAB attacks. Counter w/ focus sash to KO any sweeper leads. King's rock is a gambit but it's quite possible to use on Weavile but Life orb or the sash would be best.

flygon tamer wrote:
{lucario} @ Black Belt / Phsyical Sweeper and Physical Tank
Careful / Inner Foocus
50 Spd/ 155 Atk/ 50 Def/ 50 SDef/ 55 HP/ 100 SAtk
Drain Punch
Brick Break /Couldn't find a better move
Extremespeed
Close Combat

Lucario is better rounded than Weavile and compliments him in a double battle. Most targets, including NPC trainers, shoot for him, biding a little more time for Weavile to swords dance and then tear up enemies. He can also hold his own as far as attack goes, since he has a good attack stat. When he takes heavy hits, I use drain punch when low on health to bring him back up to speed.

Those EV's are... interesting. His best job is being a sweeper so 4HP 252atk and 252spd does best. Lucario does a poor job at tanking any non-resisted hits. If you want to keep a mild tanking aspect try:
Jolly @ Either ability
Focus sash/Salc Berry
252Atk 252Spd 4HP
-Drain Punch or Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Swords dance
-Crunch/Ice punch
SD up once or twice then Sweep, Salc's boost will make you outspeed most non-scarf pokes if activated or use Extreme speed to go first regardless.

flygon tamer wrote:

{togekiss} @ Bright Powder / Tank
Sassy / Hustle
100 SAtk/ 100 SDef/ 155 Def/ 155 HP
Fire Blast
Psychic
Hyper Beam
Shadow Ball

Once one of my openers is taken out, Togekiss comes in to take a hit or two, and deal out three or four. It has considerable special defence, HP, and special attack plus decent defence. I used EV's to somewhat even out Togekiss's defences so that it can take either kind of hit. It has only a few weaknesses: Electric, but there are very few electric pokemon, and rock, which nobody seems to realize is super effective against flying. It also has enough special attack, and a large enough variety of moves, that it can KO a few pokemon too.

Blissey or Snorelax are also options for me Since they have higher HP and defences, but I'm not sure I'm willing to trade that for togekiss's high special attack, any advice?

O_o You do know Hustle only boost's his physical attacks while lowering your accuracy. Serene grace goes there. Once again your EV's are way to spread out. If your focus is a tank pick:
Bold @ serene grace
252HP 100def 152s.def
Leftovers
-T-wave
-Roost
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere/Flamethrower/Encore

T-wave any poke that can be paralyzed and smach them up with air slash's 60% flinch rate. Roost to recover HP and the last slot to cover steel types or force a opponent's move to bring in a counter.

Personally I'd stay with togekiss, snorlax is more tankish but harder to get set up, and blissey is just.... blissey...

flygon tamer wrote:

{gardevoir} @ Big Root / Dream Sucker & Special Tank
Calm / Synchronize
255 SAtk/ 255 SDef
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Magical Leaf
Psychic

With a special attack thats hard to beat, Gardevoir can deal some heavy damage. I also swap gardevoir in for tricky opponents who use moves like Double Team and Sand Attack, so I can use Gardevoir's Magical leaf's perfect aim. My main purpose for Gardevoir was to put pokemon to sleep, but I found Dream eater far to hard to resist.

I've been toying with the idea of Alakazam and placing in more offencive STAB moves, any advice?

Dream Eater is never used in competitive play. That being said you may actually pull it off once before they switch out leaving a fresh poke to be hit by WoW or T-wave coming in :twisted: Personally I'd use Alakazam here, go with:

Timid @ Synchronize
Leftovers
252S.Atk 20S.def 232Spd
-Sub
-Calm mind
-Psychic
-signal beam/Focus blast

CM up on a special attacker or set up a sub to grab a CM or two then sweep. Using Signal beam leaves you wall by most steels and focus blast leaves you walled by psychics and spiritomb

flygon tamer wrote:

{gengar} @ Black Sludge / Dream Sucker & Pest
Modest / Levitate
255 SAtk/255 Spd
Confuse Ray
Hypnosis
Nightmare
Shadow Ball

Works well with Gardevoir, since they both have a huge focus on hypnosis. Gengar is immune to 3 types of attacks: Ground, Normal, and Fighting. He also acts as a pest with a combination of Hypnosis and Confuse Ray.

Stay with Gengar. Same for him as I said with Garde. Try
Timid 252S.atk 252Spd 4HP
Life orb/Wide lens
-Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
-T-bolt
-Hypnosis
-Explosion

flygon tamer wrote:

{flygon} @ Soft Sand / High hitter
Jolly / Levitate
255 Atk/ 155 Spd/ 100 SAtk
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Earth Power
Draco Meteor

With decent physical and special attacks Flygon can deal signifigant damage to both Special and Physical Tanks alike. Flygon learns Ground moves like earthquake and Earth power to deal high physical damage. Being dragon type, Flygon can learn one sweet special attack as well, Draco meteor. Combine that with dragons resitence to most types, immunity to ground attacks, and some good resistenes from it's ground type, and you get a very powerful pokemon.
[/color]

Ground/Dragon/Ground/Dragon... try giving him some variety.

Jolly@ Expert Belt/Life Orb/Yache berry
32 HP 252Atk 8Def 216Spd
EQ
Dragon Claw/Outrage
Fire Blast/Thunder or Ice Punch/U-turn
Stone Edge

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:04 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Jebediah719 wrote:
25 posts. Check.

I have been a bit MIA since this new thread was made. Here is my repost from the old thread here.

{gengar}
Gengar @Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA / 6 HP/ 252 Spe
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Obviously a standard Gengar, my special sweeper. I currently have a Wide Lens on it for Focus Blast, but Life Orb hopefully would give that extra bit of power to OHKO what I need it to. I got it leading because it really can't take any hits.

Personally with platinum's accuracy drop to hypnosis I'd stick with the wide lens to keep it somewhat accurate. Otherwise good, with many people using fake out and sash leads atm sleepers leads may become more effective.

Jebediah719 wrote:
{crobat}
Crobat @Leftovers
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
U-Turn
Aerial Ace
Hypnosis
Mean Look

I am going with the Trapper set for this Crobat. Hopefully his speed is able to keep them from switching and keeps them asleep when he U-turns to the pokemon that is best suited for beating the trapped pokemon.

Personally I'd go with umbreon for this since it can BP the mean look, to allow all your pokes to counter. Confuse ray can be done over hypnosis as you already have a fast sleeper in gengar and complements leftovers well. Brave bird is also an option for more damage in tight situations.

Jebediah719 wrote:
{dugtrio}
Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Rock Slide
Night Slash

Got him to put some ease on Crobat's mean look with his ability. I chose the Life Orb rather than the choice route for the use of different moves. I picked Rock Slide over Stone Edge for the fliching aspect.

Looks good, Sucker punch may give you a drop on priority moves and scarfers

Jebediah719 wrote:

{weavile}
Weavile @Choice Band
Jolly
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Pursuit
Ice Shard
Brick Break
Night Slash

Goin for the physical sweeper with this one. Choice band because with all the switching that could be happening in this team, the downside to the item won't be much of problem.

**thumbs up**

Jebediah719 wrote:
{weezing}
Weezing @Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Sludge Bomb
Will-o-wisp
Haze
Pain Splint

This is my defense sponge. Will-o-wisp with give some DoT that could be helpful. Haze will help with statuses.

Sludge bomb and Wow may get in the way of each other, since poison has bad coverage anyways you can put T-bolt/Flamethrower there or even take out a threat with Explosion or stall with protect.

Jebediah719 wrote:
{snorlax}
Snorlax @Leftovers
Careful
244 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpD
Rest
Sleep Talk
Bod Slam
Earthquake

More of my special wall. As good as Blissey is, I just can't bring myself to use it. Its just personal preference. To me it is boring using only the best. I could be sounding like a hypocrite considering the rest of my team, but I just see Blissey on most teams I have looked at and I don't want to use it.

Yay Snorlax! Since stalling is his best aspect here, Crunch may be better over EQ as the def. drops can power him thru walls. Thick fat is probably the best ability here.

Jebediah719 wrote:

Gengar and Crobat are two personal favorites of mine, so I am really not to keen on replacing either of them, but suggestions on making them work better are welcome. I don't want to use any of the legendaries in my teams. Personal preference. And I have already spoken my thoughts on Blissey. I know that three are poison and poison tends to be weak, but the speed of mine, other than my defensive ones hopefully will make up for some of the weaknesses that are in the team. I hope this gets me a little more cred, I really put some thought into this.

Nothing wrong with using Crobat/Gengar :mrgreen: and all your poisons have their bad bad ground weakness nullified. Wevile and Snorlax cover their psychic weakness in most part. and your poisons cover both their fighting weakness well. the only problem I see with your team as a whole is that 4 of your pokes are fast/frail sweepers. which may be problematic against some scafed or speed boosted opponents and sturdy tanks like swampert/skarmory.

Natalya I'll add your rate here sometime tonight or tomorrow if noone beats me to it. Also sorry for the double post but it shows Jeb and Nat that I updated.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:53 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ah, I'm in no hurry. I know how finals go, I have mine next week -sigh- And then a very long awaited summer vacation.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Natalya wrote:
Well I figured I’d give this a shot. This is the team I’ve been running on Wi-Fi/Battle Revolution and have had a lot of success with it, even running up against solid Uber run line ups it seems to stand its own. Please note this team is designed for DOULBE battles, which is how I prefer to fight. So for me, a lot more is taken into consideration then just attacks but how well they support each other is important to my overall strategy. I also know the team is a bit heavy on a weakness to fighting but it still doesn’t seem to have a problem with it.

Team Highlights:
1. Any Pokemon can be the ‘lead’ slot and have another as a back up. I’ve been able to interchange them all with success and have won battles with various pairs.
2. This team shows a really affective use of Skill Swap and Truant. While being the main idea behind the team it is not required to be used at all and the team has been proven to win just as often.

Team Breakdown
Game: Platinum
Name: Skill Swap-Traunt

1. {blissey} Blissey @ Leftovers/ Tank & Wall
Calm
Natural Cure 252 Speed/252 Defense/ 6 Special Defense
-Sing
-Aromatherapy
-Skill Swap
-Ice Beam

Blissey is the main factor that makes my combo/style of the team work. Knowing the fragile defense stat I opted to counter the common physical damage problem. This allows her to eat up things like earthquake without a problem. Secondly the high special defense allows her to act as a traditional special wall. Overall this makes her a Physical and Special wall, pulling double duty. I increased her speed to allow for Skill Swap to be used faster when needed. She can also now out speed some Pokemon and Skill Swap to catch people by surprise. The extent of use of the move Skill Swap will be explained with her partner. Sing allows for some stall time if it hits and Aromatherapy allows me to heal status problems on my own team. Ice Beam for an attack. No point in healing her she never does enough damage.

252def is pretty common on bliss and it still doesn't make her capable of taking strong physical attacks. Personally I'd take those speed EVs out and put them in HP if better tanking potential. Skill swap works good in tandem with natural cure and for grabbing truant.

Natalya wrote:
2. {slaking} Slaking @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf* / Physical Sweeper
**This is one of the ‘problems’ with my team is picking the choice item with him.
Adamant
Truant 252 Attack/252 Speed/ 6 Defense
-Ice Punch
-Return
-Shadow Claw
-Earthquake

I know most people would think I would be crazy to use a Pokemon that can’t attack every turn but here me out, on this team I don’t have to worry about Truant; in fact it becomes a large headache for my opponent. I always pair him with Blissey when starting a match or even for an end game scenario and hold the pair for last. I use Skill Swap to move Truant from Slaking to Blissey, freeing the beats massive attack stat and forces Blissey to loft around for a turn which doesn’t hurt her at all. After words I will Skill swap the Traunt again to an opponent’s Pokemon, forcing them to rethink how they are fighting. Even if the Pokemon is called back, Slaking still free of its hindering ability and if I recall him and Blissey is still around, I am free to use the move over and over.

**My main problem with Slaking is the use of the Choice Item. Band allows for an insane attack power while scarf pushes his speed and allowed him to still pack quiet a punch but does it in a quicker manner. I’ve used both on him and have had positive results.

Getting Truant off slaking is a pretty well known strategy in doubles, though gastro acid or worry seed is usually better (Shaymin can pull off basically the same set as blissey if you want to get in something faster and sturdier.) Sucker punch or night slash may do better than shadow claw, as if your choiced into a ghost move normals wall force you to switch out, regaining your truancy. EQ and return have the same risk but their uses are worth it. Personally I wouldn't go with a choice item, it's too limiting, use a silk scarf or life orb/expert belt to keep him from being walled.

Natalya wrote:
3. {porygon-z} Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs/ Special Sweeper
Modest
Adaptability 252 Speed/ 252 Special Attack/ 6 Defense
-Tri-Attack
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Signal Beam

This is your ‘standard’ Spec’s Z with an added twist on the team. Z can hold his own no matter what I partner him with, thus is frees me if the team’s original idea/goal fails. While he can really pack a punch to anything but a foe’s Blissey I have the added option of using is Adaptability with Skill Swap. Given Z is a bit on the fragile side I am able to move his ability onto Blissey just before he is knocked out (generally) and then pass this skill to whomever is coming in to replace him. I find this especially deadly with my DD Gyarados with Waterfall or my LO Zapdos with Thunderbolt, The choice King with Return, ect. It can be useful/moved onto any of his teammates.

The standard spec poryZ is timid natured. since it is paired with a T-bolt user the moveset is good.

Natalya wrote:

4. {gyarados} Gyarados @ Focus Slash
Adamant
Intimidate 252 Attack/252 Speed/ 6 Hit Points
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance

Again this is rather typical DD Gyarados but given Life Orb is already used by his team mate I opted for Focus Slash to allow him to survive a heavy electric attack and act as a near revenge killer. DD is a standard first turn move, focus slash allows him to live no matter what. With Skill Swap and Intimidate I can actually get two uses out of it without switching Pokemon. Not to much else I can say about him, it kinda speaks for itself. Physical Sweeper.

Although SR is rare in PBR it may show up and ruin your sash, if survival is issue then you can use a wacan berry to survive an electric attack. Otherwise good.

Natalya wrote:

5. {zapdos} Zapdos @ Life Orb/ Alternative Special Sweeper
Timid 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Defense
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-Air Cutter

Given most people wouldn’t expect an offensive Zapdos, it can cause quite a stir given it still holds its somewhat bulky nature. Only Dragons, Giratina and the Lati twins really give him to much of a walling problem but the ice coverage of the rest of the team they don’t last long. Roost allows me to heal off the damage caused by Life Orb but slows the use of Earthquake on the team. Zapdos is a common partner for Gyara/King because of his ground immunity.

Looks good, good movepool.

Natalya wrote:
6. {rampardos} Rampardos @ Salac Berry/ Alternative Physical Sweeper
Jolly @ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Defense
- Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Swords Dance

This guy is the hardest member of my team to use effectively and I’ve considered replacing him but I’m not sure with what. Swords Dance allows him to Rival king on my teams in terms of raw attack power but he’s also a bit on the fragile side. After Swords Dance his attack jumps to around 942 and look out, Groudon can’t match that. The only Pokemon he can’t hit for neutral damage is Breloom. His nature allows him to out speed Gengar and Infernape more so if the berry is in play already. Help here would be greatly thanked!

Personally I'd go with a Endure salac set for using rampardos:
4hp 252atk 252spd.
Jolly @ salac
Endure
EQ
Rock Slide
Zheadbutt
Not a much raw power but EQ and Rock slide can do widespread damage off his 160base attack. plus the salac's speed with make finch work well, just beware of priority moves. If you want a different physical sweeper I'd go with SD Scizor or Mamoswine

I'll admit that doubles isn't my area of expertise, but your team looks overall good, I see no major holes otherwise what you already mentioned. **thunbs up**

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:58 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thanks so much, Shaymin I might have to try out. I have two that currently aren't and I've been wanting to experiment with her. As for King, I didn't think about the Expert belt and will most definitely work with that. Once the lovely berry woman gives me a wacan berry, I'll have to try it out. As for Ram, I'm considering replacing him with a Skill-Swap Mewtwo to keep the idea with the team but giving me more flexibility with Shaymin. Thanks for you help, I wouldn't have though of the cute little hedgehog. However, Worry Seed, as far as I know, has no effect on Traunt. Though to use Gastro Acid I'd have to go with something like Cradily or Mew stability wise. So with the changes suggested I think it will still make the team better regardless.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh wow it doesn't remove truant O_O huh, I guess it works well for removing regigigas's slow start. If you want a good Gastro user you can try shuckle, it's very tankish and gets acupressure as well, which is great for boosting allies in doubles. But you may have status trouble then w/o aromatheapry.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next