EV: 255 in sp attak and speed

OR

Porygon-Z @ choice scarf Modest
-Ice beam
-Tri attack
-Psychic
-Trick

Same EV than infernape

comment those 2 moves set. They are kinda classic but!

Tue May 19, 2009 2:04 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

First off about Infernape. If you are going to use Infernape don't run Overheat as that will only negate the Nasty Plot boost and ruin his chances at sweeping your opponent. Second about Infernape if you must go with a Special Sweeping Infernape that runs Nasty Plot go with a Timid nature to get that much needed speed boost to make him faster because with Nasty Plot you don't need that boost to Special Attack. Third off about Infernape if you want to run it with Close Combat run it with a Speed boosting nature that doesn't affect either of the attack stats (either Hasty or Naive). Fourth about Infernape for a Nasty Plot, if you want a Fighting type move go with Vacuum Wave not only is it a STAB priority move its Special based and works handily with Nasty Plot. Finally about Infernape never pump 255 Ev's into two stats, not only is it stupid it wastes Ev's that you can use to raise one stat by one point which can mean all the difference. So in conclusion about Infernape if you want to use Infernape as your starter this is what I would suggest as your two options.

{infernape}
Ev's 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
@Focus Sash
Timid Nature/Hasty or Naive (only if you are running Close Combat)
Moves-Nasty Plot
Vacuum Wave/Close Combat (so it isn't walled by jerks with the name of Blissey)
Flamethrower
Hidden Power [ICE]/Grass Knot

{infernape}
Ev's 64 Attack/252 Special Attack/ 192 Speed
@Focus Sash/Life Orb for a traditional Mixape
Hasty Nature or Naive Nature
Moves-Close Combat
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Hidden Power [ICE]

Now on to Porygon-Z. If you want to use the Trick set I would recommend the ability Download which will help it in its cause of Special Sweeping, but you will only get that boost if you are facing a Pokemon whose Special Defense is lower than its Defense. Second about Porygon-Z are the moves. Go with Hidden Power [FIGHTING] and Dark Pulse in place of Ice Beam and Psychic. The reason for this is that quoting smogon "Use Hidden Power Fighting and Dark Pulse together to hit all the Pokémon that resist Tri Attack." Lastly about Porygon-Z is the same thing with Infernape don't pump 255 Ev's into two stats because as I said it takes away one stat point from one other stat which can mean all the difference in competitive battling. So if you take those changes into consideration your Porygon-Z should look like this.

{porygon-z}
Ev's 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense
Ability-Download
@Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Hidden Poer [FIGHTING]
Tri Attack
Dark Pulse
Trick

Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

For the P-Z, it better to put psychic to do great dammage on any combat pokémons or on a gengar. Infernape is used to counter that pokémon or a machamp

for the infernape, i put close combat only with oveheat. only to scair any blissey and to do great dammage when you start

Tue May 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It is always better to cover as much types as possible. Though Psychic does hit Gengar and Fighting types hard, having Psychic leaves you exposed to not being able to hit Pokemon like Tyranitar. STAB Tri Attack gets the done on any Fighting just as well as Psychic, and with Dark Pulse you hit Gengar just as effectively as Psychic does, and HP [FIGHTING] gets that quad weakness to Tyranitar and Weavile which are quite common in OU. As Dark Pulse gets those Psychics in OU like Alakazam, not to mention 20% chance to flinch isn't half bad either.

Also Overheat on any Pokemon that is to be used competitively is a very very bad idea, because it only weakens that precious precious attack power they need to beat your opponent. I mean Overheat deals 1/2 damage second time its used, plus Infernape is weak to the ever present Stealth Rocks so switching him in to reuse Overheat is near impossible. So either go with Flamethrower or Fire Blast for your Special STAB move.

Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

ONLY run overheat on a pokemon that has physical moves as it's main combat method, otherwise you're looking at switching after... well... one attack.

Tue May 19, 2009 3:45 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

overheat than switch

you have right when you said that overheat is bad when you use it more than one time

it like draco meteor, it not a bad attack!!

Tue May 19, 2009 9:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Draco Meteor is for more or less revenge killing on either a Salamence with Choice Scarf of Choice Specs. Where you will be bringing him in to destroy the Pokemon that killed your previous Pokemon with an all out powerful attack. Then after the revenge kill you switch him back in for someone else.

Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

it exacly why i put overheat!

Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

infernape manily as it is stronger overall stats wise

Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 am
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

I feel ashamed for being a part of this fandom when I see stuff like this x.x

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Thu May 21, 2009 1:38 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm actually planning to start with an Infernape almost identical to the second one you posted Shinashu, only difference is the EV's (mine has 24ATK/252SpA/232SPE) it's worked pretty well for me so far, only thing is I'm not sure which item to use. Hope this helped.

Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Theolithical wrote:
ONLY run overheat on a pokemon that has physical moves as it's main combat method, otherwise you're looking at switching after... well... one attack.

Yes, you definitely have to switch straight after using Overheat on something like, say Zapdos. Or Draco Meteor on Latias. They can't do ANYTHING after that drop. [/sarcasm]

Agreeing with the facepalm guy.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]