It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Magnezone or Lucario? or other suggestions... 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Looking to fill up my last space on my team, already got {infernape}, {starmie}, {roserade}, {flygon}, and {tyranitar}.
I kinda want an electric type, so Magnezone, but it is so slow!
What other ideas for my last slot could you give? I like my Pokemon to be self-supporting and general purpose, so STAB is good, + non Stab move and/or supporters. Don't really like heaviliy defensive Pokemon, or helpers, or Pokemon which need helping. That means I can mix-and-match with other Pokemon, like HM slaves or catchers.

Considering Magnezone because nice typing, but it's so slow!
and Lucario because it gives me a steel, but it doubles Fighting...
other ideas? Reasons/Move ideas would be nice...

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lucario and Magnezone benefit from t-tar, Magnezone benefits more, go with it. the 1.5x SD boost is better on zone.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Once again, Cactuar talks out of his ass. Only Rock types get the SD boost. Magnezone isn't a rock type. Go figure. That being said, I do personally prefer Magnezone, because he is such a great counter to steel types like Skarmory and Scizor that otherwise destroy my team, but consideration must be given to Lucario due to how versatile it is, seeing how he can easily go physical, special, or mixed. Its really just what you feel you need the most.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:02 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

One thing I'd like to put up is that with either steel-type, your team will be half weak to EQ, and 2 of the remaining are not adept at taking physical attacks. TTar may take two EQs or three before going down, but most lucario/magnezone/infernape are OHKO'd even by strong non-STAB users. Scizor is a good option for a steel type, with 4 pokes on your team that can soak up fire-attacks, as well as he can be a good stand alone sweeper with SD, bullet punch+technician among other attacks.

Between lucario and magnezone though, I'd go with Magnezone. Good general bulk, EQ is no prob if you can magnet rise on a switch, and trapping steels is always a plus.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:50 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Great, thanks.

I think I'll probably go with Magnezone, although Scizor is looking good too, especially since it has Agility.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:19 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If you have platinum, you won't need agility because you'll have bullet punch.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:00 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Cactuar wrote:
If you have platinum, you won't need agility because you'll have bullet punch.

Agility sets often go with Swarm(esp. w/sub) and higher power moves like 30% flinch Iron head, night slash, and X-scissor. as agility drops the speed issue almost completely and thus better moves can be used.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:43 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Zedseayou wrote:

Except that you haven't told anyone what the hell moves you have on those pokemon in the first place. You need a Steel type, because you don't have one, and every team needs a Steel type.

Agility on Scizor? Why? Scizor is not a sweeper--he's a priority-abusing tank, and should be used as such. If you want to use Iron Head for it's flinch rate, use Jirachi. Night Slash and X-Scissor are perfectly viable on Scizor as it is, because he can take hits. Night Slash can hit Rotom-A has he switches in, X-Scissor is Scizor's best move against Cresselia, and Iron Head....is not a good move when Bullet Punch is so readily available.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
248 HP/252 Att/8 Spe Adamant
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Pursuit/Night Slash

Beastly. Just awesome, if you use it right. Bullet Punch because it's Bullet Punch. U-turn is the next best move on the set. Pursuit-trapping rules, but you can use Night Slash for Rotom-A switch-ins. Superpower on predicted switches to Magnezone, Heatran, or Lucario.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:06 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Rhinosaur wrote:
Zedseayou wrote:

Except that you haven't told anyone what the hell moves you have on those pokemon in the first place. You need a Steel type, because you don't have one, and every team needs a Steel type.

Agility on Scizor? Why? Scizor is not a sweeper--he's a priority-abusing tank, and should be used as such. If you want to use Iron Head for it's flinch rate, use Jirachi. Night Slash and X-Scissor are perfectly viable on Scizor as it is, because he can take hits. Night Slash can hit Rotom-A has he switches in, X-Scissor is Scizor's best move against Cresselia, and Iron Head....is not a good move when Bullet Punch is so readily available.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Pursuit/Night Slash

Beastly. Just awesome, if you use it right. Bullet Punch because it's Bullet Punch. U-turn is the next best move on the set. Pursuit-trapping rules, but you can use Night Slash for Rotom-A switch-ins. Superpower on predicted switches to Magnezone, Heatran, or Lucario.

First off not every team needs a Steel Type. Secondly to provide a slightly better set for Scizor.

Scizor@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Technician
252 Attack/224 Speed/32 HP
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Quick Attack
Brick Break/Roost/X-Scissor

Brick Break is there for the Steel types that wall it, Roost is there for Recovery, While X-Scissor is there for STAB. If you want you could go with Aerial Ace for the last move. Then again its a pick your poison kind of thing. After a Swords Dance Bullet Punch is disgustingly over powered.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

shinashu taji wrote:
First off not every team needs a Steel Type. Secondly to provide a slightly better set for Scizor.

Scizor@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Technician
252 Attack/224 Speed/32 HP
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Quick Attack
Brick Break/Roost/X-Scissor

Brick Break is there for the Steel types that wall it, Roost is there for Recovery, While X-Scissor is there for STAB. If you want you could go with Aerial Ace for the last move. Then again its a pick your poison kind of thing. After a Swords Dance Bullet Punch is disgustingly over powered.

Every team needs a Steel so it doesn't get destroyed by Kingdra, Salamence, and Latias. That is not a better set for Scizor at all. Scizor is never going to need Focus Sash, because it's bulky enough. Life Orb works, though. He doesn't need 224 Speed EVs. That spread is pre-Platinum, meant to outrun Adamant Tyranitar, who is OHKO'd by Bullet Punch anyway. Scizor doesn't need much speed anymore, because he's got Bullet Punch.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Rhinosaur wrote:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Pursuit/Night Slash

Iron head does have a great bonus on Jirachi, but doesen't solve the main issue of not having half the team decimated by dugtrio.
Scizor has great stats to be a physical attacker and physical tank, in OU however, there are many special attackers that can ruin CB and SD+BP sets, namely Specstar, Zapdos, Rotom-A and any of a large list of LO and Choice users who pack fire blast with 80+base speed for the sole purpose of beating skarm, scizor, forret etc.
Agility scizor has the benefit of outspeeding CS heracross with 148spd investment after one boost, which allows him to KO any incoming starmie(outspeeding and OHKOing all but CS, but scarf fails to OHKO w/surf after SR) win a 2hko war with an incoming non-oven rotom-a. as well as outspeed and deal heavy hits with iron head to any other switch-ins while still living with it's good steel-type bulk.

Scizor @ LO/lechi berry
Adamant w/ Techincian
108HP 252atk 148spd
-Agility
-Iron head
-Night slash
-Superpower/Brick break

Switch in on a poke that will flee scizor and set up agility, Iron head for neutral damage, NS and BB for coverage, Superpower for additional power for heatran and magnezone switch-ins but stat drops etc. etc. Of course bullet punch can find it way onto this set, priority being as awesome as it is.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Rhinosaur wrote:

Every team needs a Steel so it doesn't get destroyed by Kingdra, Salamence, and Latias. That is not a better set for Scizor at all. Scizor is never going to need Focus Sash, because it's bulky enough. Life Orb works, though. He doesn't need 224 Speed EVs. That spread is pre-Platinum, meant to outrun Adamant Tyranitar, who is OHKO'd by Bullet Punch anyway. Scizor doesn't need much speed anymore, because he's got Bullet Punch.

First off for the special versions of those three pokemon there is a call for one pokemon and that is Blissesy, or even Cresslia would be viable to take their special hits. For physical alternatives to them the answer is a Curse-Breon, a Curse-Lax or any other physical wall that isn't named Skarmory. As for the Focus Sash you never know what your opponent could hit you with especially with T-Tars running around with Fire Punch, Zapdos with Heat Wave, anything namely that is meant to kill Scizor. Also as a better set it is generally meant to be taken as it is abusing the crap out of its ability which is Technician. If you don't like the spread change it no one ever said you had to follow it exactly.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:53 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

As a steel type wall registeel is fantastic go with a movepool like this:
This is my spread you can alter but im going with my one as it has been very helpful competively

Impish
252hp
160def
96att

Ice Punch
stealth rock
t-wave
Explosion

Other options are Eq,iron head,toxic,rest

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]