It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Newbie questions! 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Don't hate cause I'm a newb, but here I go...

I just got into the competitive PKMN playstyle, I just got Platinum and want to know all about how to be a poke'mon master! (lol)

I know about natures and their effects on poke'mon and I'm trying to learn EV training. I want to start EV training now, but my friend (he's really good at competitive PKMN) says I should wait until I beat the game to start EV training...

Should I?

And also, is this what EV training is basically?

Fighting poke'mon that have higher stats (Ex. Speed) repeadatley, until I take their stats? Kinda like megaman? fight the enemy and then steal their power?

What are those competitive PKMN types?

Wall, Sweeper, Tank... What are they? and are there more?

I have a team right now, and I don't know if they are any good... or if anything needs to be changed (natures, attacks, etc.)

If you see anything wrong, can you tell me so I can werk on it? Please?

Monferno [Quick Claw]

Nature - Brave
Scatters things often, and like Spicy food

Att. 70
Def. 50
SP. Att. 69
SP. Def. 41
Spd. 62

Mach Punch
Feint
Flame Wheel
Ember

Luxio [Exp. Share]

Nature - Modest
Often dozes off, and like Dry food

Att. 48
Def. 34
SP. Att. 46
SP. Def. 32
Spd. 41

Tackle
Bite
Spark
Charge

Well, the other 4 Poke'mon I don't really plan on having in my party, so I'll leave em' out...

But yeah, I hope Psypoke Forums can be a cool place where I can come too to hang out and get all my poke'mon quesitons answered :3

Thanks for the halp! :D

Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:39 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i'll answer for ev training, yer you're better to end the game before to start cause you'll need to be able to reach most of the place of the maps to do it.

Once you battle a pokemon, every pokemon you battle, you'll get the famous ev's. For exemple, I beat a magikarp, i'll get a speed ev point. Every pokemon gives different ev. They are values for each stat. Each pokemon can collect a max of 510 ev point. So, if you want your pokemon to have better stats, you want it to kick the ass of pokemon that give's him the ev's to top the stats that your pokemon need. Look in the pokedex to know what ev's every pokemon need, and don't forget that you can't remove a ev point, so if you kill a pokemon that give you 1 ev in special defense, and you don't need special defense, then your pokemon won't get that point in the attack stats, wich he can need to.

The role in the team a different from each and other, here are a fex:

Thank: a pokemon with more defense than attak, can be more special, or physical, or both. Blastoise is an exemple

sweeper: quick, and hit much, you want this pokemon to kill the other one before he had the time to move, they need versatile move set to sweep the most pokemon has possible.

Wall: they are even more focus on defense than a thank, for exemple steelix. You will beat you're oponent almost by standing in front and wait 'til the sandstorm to the job.

hazer: pokemon that know the move haze, cause if you're opponent have 4 dragon dance to help him, he may destroy your entire team, so do have

rapid spinner: pokemon that know rapid spin, cause moves that traps can be frustrating

here are some of them, but I surely forgot most of 'em.

Hope it's help

PS: no type are really better than other, just be sure your team can face as most different pokemon as possible...

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:34 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Rapid Spinner: also useful for getting rid of Spikes.

Pseudohazer: a pokemon that knows Roar, Whirlwind, or another move that makes the opponent switch pokemon, such as Skarmory. These are useful because the move Haze is really rare and tends to screw over your pokemon as well as your opponent's.

PP staller: a pokemon designed to drain the other pokemon's PP, often using Spite, Pressure, recovery moves, or just flat out durability.

Shuffler: a pokemon that uses Roar/Whirlwind in combination with a status move or Spikes to cripple entire teams.

there are combinations of pokemon roles as well, such as toxistaller, pyroshuffler, ect.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Everything typed in Turquoise is what I recommend you use on the Monferno/Luxio.

Smurfyexe wrote:

Monferno [Quick Claw] Life Orb
Ability - Blaze
Nature - Brave Hasty
Scatters things often, and like Spicy food

Att. 70
Def. 50
SP. Att. 69
SP. Def. 41
Spd. 62

Mach Punch Close Combat
Feint Nasty Plot
Flame Wheel Flamethrower
Ember Grass Knot

EV Spread: 64 Attack, 252 Special Attack, 192 Speed

Once you finish the storyline, rebreed this (use Ditto). Breed it until you get a Hasty natured one, then put those moves on it, EV Train it, level it up and you can use it in battle to hurt a lot of things, and badly.

Smurfyexe wrote:

Luxio [Exp. Share] Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Nature - Modest Adamant
Often dozes off, and like Dry food

Att. 48
Def. 34
SP. Att. 46
SP. Def. 32
Spd. 41

Tackle Return
Bite Crunch
Spark Keep this, this is one of few physical attacks that Shinx-Luxio-Luxray gets.
Charge Ice Fang

EV Spread: 40 HP, 252 Attack, 216 Speed

Again, once you get through the entire storyline, this is a lot easier. Re-breed it until you get the right nature (Adamant), add the moves onto it, and EV Train it and level it up. Attacks from a 120 (base) Attack, AND Choice Band will hurt. Low speed will let Luxray down, unfortunately, so you may not want to use Luxray.

Here are some other Pokémon I recommend:

Scizor
Salamence
Tyranitar
Blissey
Skarmory
Gyarados
Lucario
Jirachi (well, this one is very hard to get)
Starmie
Swampert

Additionally, to all the roles that others mentioned, Annoyer is another role. However, Annoyers are largely obsolete, as the main strategy utilized by them (usually Confusion) can be countered by a simple switch.

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:42 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

@Hyperbole

thanks dude, I'm so coming back to this place more often :D

Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:29 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Smurfyexe wrote:

Wall, Sweeper, Tank... What are they? and are there more?

well i can help you with this :p okay now for walls they are litterly walls LOL tons of trainers preffer blissy as a wall well anyways a wall is a mostly defence special defence and HP thats why most trainers preffer blissy, blissy has ALOT OF HP AND DEF. a sweeper is all attack and speed a yanmega for example he his greate with speed and attack he has great moves (for my oppion my fav pokemon and the best) thats why i trained him till lv. 100 :p now on for a tank you now how tankes are strong at attack with great defence yet... soo slow a blastoise for example he litterly has tanks on his back thats why the creaters of pokemon created him so trainers can think of new stratiges (hope this guide helped :D)allways love to help noobs ;) have fun on psypokes (i sure am :))

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Despite the helpful advise given
you maybe looking for a team to get you throught game
meaning limited chocies
Don't focus on competitive battleing till after you beat the game
so for game play
I suggest your team should be

Infernape razor claw
Brave means It will have High AT low speed
Mach punch moves 1st every turn
flamewheel No recoil
Shadow claw get from fantina 3rd gym
Rock climb HM that causes confusion

Crobat- kings rock
look for a jolly/adamant zubat
Defog HM replace later with steel wing
Fly HM
posion fang/cross posion
bite causes flinch which is great for a fast poke.

Mantine
modest is best but you can't find it till after the 7th gym badge
surf HM
Ice beam TM
Signal beam (move rememberer)
psybeam (move rememberer)

bibarel
HM slave but could be usable with adamant nature
waterfall
cut
strength
rocksmash

Luxray modest is a bad nature for it so
don't even use it

Garchomp
look for an adamant gible in the cave under the bike path
you can acess it after the second gym
earthquake TM Found in same cave
dragon claw
fire fang (move rememberer)
slash

Yanmega
modest find yamna in great mash
ancient power
giga drain (tm)
Bug buzz/silver wind
air slash

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

There is no need to EV train to beat the Elite Four. It would be quite difficult with all the trainers you have to fight.

However, if you find a good-natured pokemon that you want to train, you can reduce its EVs using berries and retrain it later.

For the best team rates, go here.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]