It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Speed? in my Bronzong? It's more likely than you think. 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So this set is a concept a friend and I were talking about, A rock polish using bronzong. Although it takes +nature and 232speed to hit a niche number of 176, with rock polish it can then shoot up to 352, outspeeding gengar, starmie, Azelf and pokes that EV to beat +252 115 speed pokes by a single point. there are obviously pokes that can run an agility set better, but this is more to surprise counters and deal a few hits.

{bronzong}
Jolly 20hp 252atk 232speed @ leftovers/LOorExpert belt/Lum
Levitate/heatproof (whatever a team needs more)
-Rock polish
-EQ
-Iron head
-Explosion/Screen/Rock slide

Really only the last move needs to be questioned, Rock slide gives good coverage with EQ and with LO/Expert belt can become more offensive. A screen can be set up right after the speed boost to give good walling with leftovers recovery. And explosion is well.... explosion. Lum can prevent burns and paralyze, both of which will ruin the set.

Personally I feel explosion/leftovers would work best. but I am curious what other options may serve better?

And yes, this is a gimmicky set, so no need for "lolz uz Jirachi ors Lucario" posts.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm rather curious as to how this would work. If you switch it in on a physical attacker, or something else that would switch out, and Rock Polish on the opponent's switch to a counter...your opponent will probably switch in his wall.

Perhaps you've done damage calculations, but it doesn't seem like Bronzong's 89 Atk is going to be doing much to any decent wall. If you're lucky and your opponent switches in a special wall, you could still get a hit in, but your opponent would likely switch to a physical wall right afterwards.

Looking at some common physical walls - Skarmory, Bronzong, Dusknoir...89 base Atk does not seem like it would do much damage, except maybe from flinching Dusknoir with Iron Head. It seems like Bronzong would be forced to switch, as it really cannot do much. A screen might be helpful in that situation. You could set up a screen on your opponent's wall, and switch to set up a sweeper. Once you show Rock Polish though (and it's hard to fake a normal set with those moves) a good opponent will probably realize it's not a walling EV spread and be more willing to attack it physically.

If you waited until late game to Rock Polish, though, you could probably finish off quite a few weakened opponents - especially if your opponent's main physical wall is heavily weakened. Rock Slide would be better there for type coverage.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:27 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, bronzong's mediocre attack is the big loss on this set, A screen or even Toxic/Hypnosis would be able to stop some walls staying in, but late game cleaning is forseeably it's best option, once counters like gyara,rotom,zapdos,skarm are gone. Rock slide fails on standard gyara and zapdos will win w/ t-bolt even after the speed advantage. Explosion will work on those two but it leaves rotom-a a free set-up.

Ah well, twas an interesting concept, but unless a ninjask can pass it an SD boost it's too weak to really cause good damage.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]