It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Same Type Adventure Challenge 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Im planning on playing my platinum with a new twist. I'm going to attempt to beat the game using only water pokémon.

water pokémon are any pokémon with a water type, i.e. multi types count too!

here is my team so far (planned, not yet built, but I have a few of the eggs ready)

feraligatr/careful/ 252 attack, 128 sp.D, 128 D (have egg already)
-aqua tail
-crunch
-dragon claw
-dragon dance

is sturdy enough to take some hits. I D dance until im faster (2-4) and then my attack is high enough to sweep

Kabutops/adamant or jolly/ 252 A, 252 speed, 4 hp
-stone edge
-aqua tail
-aerial ace
-brick break

I realize this is bad typing for a pokémon because he isn't that fast, but he will be fast enough for in-game battles, and I have never used him in a team before because he was too weak in firered, and you got him at the end

Starmie/timid or modest/ 252 sp.A, 252 speed, 4 hp
-psychic
-ice beam
-thunder bolt
-surf

a special sweeper... he works, and we all know it, also gives me an electric attack to kill other water pokémon

Kingdra/bold, calm, or modest/252 sp.A, 128 sp.D, 128 D
-Dragon pulse
-hydro pump
-ice beam
-signal beam

a tank... I didn't want to put stats into the speed because it has a low speed stat, so I made it a decent tank

Swampert/adamant, careful, or impish/252 attack, 128 D, 128 sp.D
-Earthquake
-Aqua tail
-hammer arm
-rock slide

a sturdy hitter? he has a low attack, so I put stats in the defense areas. he gives me the much needed earthquake to kill electric, and his hammer arm kills steel pokémon that kabutops would be better not messing with

Slowbro/modest,calm, or bold/ 252hp, 252 sp.A, 4 D
-flamethrower
-psychic
-focus blast
-shadow ball

I have too many water moves, and so slowbro doesn't need surf (only good sp.A water move he can learn) and he is obviously a slow pokémon, but he has high sp.D and D stats, so he take take a few hits, and he provides more necessary moves. I realize that trick room might be a nice addition, but he is solely for in-game purposes, and I want to save trick room for a competitive slowking

So I begin my adventure either 7-12 or 7-13

I plan to leave posts on how my adventure is faring, and would like to challenge those who read this to take the Same Type Adventure Challenge. Where you choose one type and beat the game with it.

I plan to send over eggs/fossil over to platinum from my pearl, hatch them on platinum, trade them back to pearl for ev training, then trade them back to platinum. my goal is to beat the game before the 19th... aka before the rotom key is no longer accessible. wish me luck :)

-Nabkov

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:42 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Many people have tried this before; water is one of the easier types due to the multitude of good water pokemon.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:10 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I just started the challenge, but I'm sure others have already done this.

I chose water because it has a lot of pokemon the chose from and I like kabutops and feraligatr, but rock or steel would have been my second picks.

yes, water is easier than many other types in that there s a lot of variety, but there aren't many good multi-type water pokemon to choose from. most water pokemon are only water, where steel has only 2 pure steel pokemon, and one is a legndary. steel has a much better ratio of multi types, and would also make an easy team, maybe easier with:

lucario, metagross, scizor, Empoleon, Magnazone, Skarmory

this is a much more diverse team, and provide a better move pool. I didn't choose this team mainly because I REALLY wanted to use kabutops, so I thought about rock...

Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Solrock/lunatone, Tyranitar, sudowoodo, Armaldo

still more diverse, wit sudowoodo having rock head for an ability, wood hammer wrecks, and sucker punch and hammer arm and a rock move finish the job. then there are the 5 others...

water is still a challenge, it only provides some alternatives, but those alternatives still aren't enough to deny the fact that I am only using one type of pokemon

I would also like to add that I will have a skarmory and golduck as HM tools in my team, neither will be used in battle

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:58 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Looks good. Maybe pack a Grass move or more Ice moves. Maybe put it over some Water moves as you have enough of them. Remember that, in-game, you'll be forced to switch your Pokemon out to get a type advantage, so perhaps stat-boosting isn't the best idea. Also, if you rely on stat boosts, it'll be harder to train as you fight wild Pokemon.

I think Bibarel is a good HM slave as well - Surf, Strength, Rock Climb, and Rock Smash. Also get a flyer to use Fly and Defog. Maybe put Waterfall over Feraligatr's Aqua Tail because it's more reliable and it's an HM move.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:03 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

For water HM slaves, I find that Bibarel + Pelipper work well.

Pelipper
Fly
Surf
Defog

Bibarel
Strength
Cut
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

Note: both Waterfall and Surf could function as main attacking moves on your team.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

quick update:

so I haven't started to be honest, because my friends feared that I have a pokemon addiction, so I gave up pokemon for a month upon their request.

I have limited myself, but think that a complete halt would be an over reaction, and seeing as to how I have been able to give it up for a month without any trouble, I can regulate myself, which I WILL do

my new team is:

kabutops, feraligatr, kingdra, and starmie with the same sets as before with feraligatr having water fall instead of aquatail. in addition, bibarel and pelliper will be joining the quest with:

pelliper evs/nature don't matter
-fly
-defog
-surf
-w/e

bibarel evs/nature don't matter
-strength
-cut
-rock smash
-rock climb

so thats the team... and I honestly might not even start, but if I do this would be my team... I think

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:53 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I finally ev trained the now croconaw, and have decided not to ev train the others. I couldn't find a dragon scale, so I decided to switch kingdra for a sharpedo, and train a kingdra later, maybe for the elite four.

I will use starmie to beat the first gym, resurect kabutops, and beat the next few gyms with those two, and then send over crocrawn when the other are roughly his level (he is lv.. 23)

I guess I will start in a few days with the actual badges

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:05 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

For in-game, you don't need a team. Seriously. If you want to play with Water Types, a lvl 60+ {gyarados} with Dragon Dance and Waterfall can, with the help of ethers/elixirs/leppa berries, crush the E4 and Champion with little effort. One-Man-Army. That's how I beat the E4 and Champion in Platinium. :wink:

Alright whose next to be liberated from freedom?

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:01 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

exactly my point, you can beat the game with any pokemon, yet everyone else I talked to said it was a bad idea, but I did it anyways

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:06 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I played the game through using only Ground types. To be honest, I didn't have very much of a challenge; it was actually easier than playing it through with a diverse team.

I had:

Whiscash
Steelix
Golem
Torterra
Garchomp
Hippowdon

They totally crushed the elite four; My biggest flaw is that I didn't have a single special sweeper, and my only real physical sweeper was Garchomp. After beating the elite four, I've been trying to adapt a few alternates:

Mammoswine
Sandslash
Eruptmel

None of the ground types really have a special sweeper. o.o As far as HM use goes, I didn't use Pokemon from my designed team, as Bibarel/Lopunny/Pelipper took care of all of those needs for me.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I see that you are are a member here bahamut_x3 and we are glad for you to be here but you have broken a major rule here. That rule which you just broke is necromancing which is posting in an old thread in which no one has posted in quite some time. I suggest you refrain from doing this again in the future as it ticks off the staff, and I am just trying to save them some time and trouble by preventing them from having to take the time out and explain this to you themselves.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:25 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]