It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 I need a new Water-type. (Platinum) 
Just your average 10 year old

As you can see from the title, I am in need of a good water type for Platinum. I traded over a Gyarados from Diamond, but I was wanting a different one, but will take it if I need it. Here it is:

{gyarados} @ Splash plate
Ice Fang
Waterfall (put it on in Diamond as I don't have it yet)
Aqua Tail
Rain Dance

I hope this is in the right place

As you can see it can hold its own very well, but I wanted a different water type, so I came here to ask for opinions.

Oh, I am at Catching Giratina in Platinum, and probably won't be able to trade with Diamond.

I want a water that can fit my style of battling, so I listed my style below.

My Battle Style
  • I prefer powerful moves (70's-100's)

• But I hate drawbacks such as stat reduction or recharge or damage

• I Don't go out of my way for crit ratio

• I don't like moves that are 80 or below accuracy, but for some moves (i.e. Dynamic Punch, OHKOs, and Zap Cannon) I have changed.

• I hate using TM's. Though I have unlimited of the first 50 on emerald so I might use one of
    the originals 50 and the Pal Park in a Pokémon holding one when I can.

• My overall strategy is Attack and bombard with the strongest, and if that fails, strategy planning time.
    EDIT:

• I hate using berries and life orbs

• I don't EV train

I hope I have provided enough info. And if you could give a moveset if it is not too much to ask.

Last edited by Beav232 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Gyarados@Leftovers
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Dragon Dance provides a boost to your attacks. Waterfall for STAB, Ice Fang and Earthquake for added coverage.
Leftovers for healing.

Other Pokemon options include bulky waters like Suicune and special attackers like Starmie.

Last edited by Electrike! on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I believe Octillery is available?
I've always liked that pokemon.
Has a nice array of attacks too.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

may I help you?
(my team is all water pokemon)

for gyarados I like riley's move set from battle tower;

gyarados@chesto berry
-waterfall/aqua tail
-earthquake/stone edge
-dragon dance
-rest

if you haven't played with this guy, he dragon dances until he is faster than the opponent, then rests, instantly waking up with the chesto berry, then he sweeps.

I use this move set for my gyarados, but you said you wanted a different water pokemon, so...

starmie: thunderbolt, ice beam, surf, psychic (is a great special sweeper, and is diverse)
mantine: ice beam, surf, signal beam, air cutter (random, is in-game, and rarely used)
feraligatr: dragon dance, dragon claw, aqua tail, crunch/ice punch (typical dragon dancer, but it looks awesome and is tough)
Milotic: dragon pulse/breath, ice beam, surf, aqua ring (a great tank, and it heals what little damage is dealt to it)
slowking/bro: flame thrower, ice beam, surf, psychic (this guy can learn weird moves, and can take a beating, but is slow...)
Golduck: psychic, surf, ice beam, hypnosis (this is the guy that beat my pearl the 2nd time around, sleeper, and has diversity)
Lapras: psychic, ice beam, surf, sing/thunderbolt (a nice tank, with diversity, and 2 stabs)
Kabutops: brick break, stone edge, surf, aerial ace (a standard pokemon, but not very great, but i love this guy)
Empoleon: surf, ice beam, grass knot, signal beam (a tank, with many resistances, but bland in my opinion)
Kingdra: surf, ice beam, dragon pulse, signal beam (a tank that whittles away at enemies, and is only weak against dragons)
kingdra: dragon dance, Aqua tail/waterfall, outrage, iron head (a tank that dance till it can physically sweep)
Floatzel: ice punch, waterfall, crunch, bulk up (a standard pokemon, bulk up a bit, then sweep)
gastrodon: earth power, surf, ice beam, recover (has two stabs, is immune to electric, is found in the game, and heals when he gets weak, kinda slow though)
Sharpedo: crunch, aqua tail/waterfall, zen headbutt, ice fang (this guy has diversity, and is powerful)
Azumaril: ice punch, aqua tail/waterfall, brick break, random physical attack (for this to work it needs the ability huge power, doubling it's attack, but it destroys)

so seeing your requests for powerful, easy to train, not needing ev training, and not being able to trade from diamond, I would recommend the golduck breeded with a glamew for hypnosis, or the gastrodon, as they are both easy to get, and can be caught fairly early on in the game, and are both tough, but there IS a list of other choices, and if you want more I can add more, but I should go to bed as I am guarding tomorrow

-Nabkov out

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:13 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

For the better Water Types other than {gyarados} in competitive play, I would pick {kingdra}, {milotic} or {suicune}. The rest aren't as worth it as these three.

{kingdra} is awesome because it can learn Dragon Dance and Outrage. This, along with Kingdra's above average defenses as well as many resistances/1 weakness makes it very formidable.

{milotic} is great too because it can tank a bit and dish out plenty of damage. It is also capable of learning Hypnosis, thus making it an annoying cannon.

{suicune} is self-explanatory. It's a legend, meaning it has good stats which in this case, makes it a very powerful tank that can both take in and dish out heavy damage. Correct movesets basically turn Suicune into a real monster. One drawback is that it lacks to some extent, type-coverage. :wink:

Alright whose next to be liberated from freedom?

Last edited by Azurera†h on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Blastoise counts as a bulky water! <3
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/blastoise

my favorite is the choice band build

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I recommend using Smogon for standard movesets.

Smogon also has some nicearticles on competitive battling, if you ever want to do some serious wifi battling.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Crawdaunt
Adamant
Shell armor
Crab-hammer / Waterfall
Crunch / Night slash
Body slam (EGG)
Brick break (TM)

other weaker moves
Aerial ace (TM)