It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mono Water Team 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hi.

I'm taking part in a mono tournament on another forum I frequent, and obviously, I can't very well post my team for criticism if those taking part can see it. So I've come back here for some suggestions. ^^;

A couple of notes to begin with...

- I will not be using a Rain Dance team. I tested it on Shoddy, and it was simply subpar to the Rain Dance team I have where I'm not confined to just using one type.
- I won't be using Kingdra. Just can't use it well outside of Rain Dance.
- I want to keep the theme of this team - that is, shuffling the opponent around and forcing them to take passive damage from Stealth Rocks and Spikes, along with poisoning them with Toxic Spikes.

Empoleon@Focus Sash
Modest
156 HP / 252 Special Attack / 100 Special Defence

-Stealth Rock
-Hydro Pump
-Aqua Jet
-Grass Knot

Right. I wanted a lead that could lay down Stealth Rock and contend with common leads. Empoleon was that Pokemon. Stealth Rock is integral to the success of the team, and Focus Sash allows Enperuto to get them up. Hydro Pump is a nice, hard hitting move that takes care of Pokemon like Hippowdon, and if Torrent is activated (by a super effective hit,) then that just makes things easier for a quick Ability+STAB boosted Aqua Jet. Also sorts out other Focus Sash leads. Grass Knot is solely for Swampert.

Cloyster@Leftovers
Relaxed
252 HP / 252 Special Defence / 4 Special Attack

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Spikes
-Ice Beam

[i]An interesting set, perhaps, but works very well with my defensive play style. The given EVs and Nature seem to contradict Cloyster's base stats, but seeing as it'll be attracting Special Attacks left right and centre, it makes sense. Spikes is another dimension to the team that is more than useful.

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Calm
252HP / 120 Defence / 136 Special Defence

-Toxic Spikes
-Knock Off
-Surf
-Sludge Bomb

The special wall of the team, and layer of my third round of entry hazards; Tentacruel can lay down Toxic Spikes while removing the opponent's hold item, and possibly reveal what set they're running. Ice Beam has been dropped in favour of Sludge Bomb because I already have a lot of Ice moves, and it'd be useful with the 30% chance of poison.

Walrein@Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Roar
-Ice Beam

The real star of the team. Walrein is my Shuffler, causing the enemy to feel the pain of three layers of spikes. When the chance arrises, where the opponent has out a completely useless Pokemon (ie Vaporeon) that can't do a thing against Walrein, Rest heals up and Sleep Talk will either damage or phaze the other Pokemon.

Gyarados@Life Orb
Adamant
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake

One of two late game sweepers, DDos is threatning enough, but after the opponent's team is weakened by the Spikes, Gyarados will make short work of them after a single DDance.

Starmie@Life Orb
Timid
252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

The second sweeper, Starmie is an all round fantastic sweeper - I'm running Timid because Life Orb will provide the extra kick, and the aforementioned hazards will allow Starmie to finish off the weakened Pokemon of the team.

Right. Main problem I have with this team? A devastating weakness to Electric. A Specsed Zapdos would simply tear through my team, unless I managed to poison it with Tentacruel and stall...

Problem is, each and every Pokemon I have on this team is essential. I could consolidate the Spiker and the Toxic Spiker...but the only water Pokemon that learns both moves is...Qwilfish. And I don't really want to rely on such a frail Pokemon to get five layers of different entry hazards up.

Or, I could take my chances and hope I don't face the mono electric guy. What do you think?

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:16 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

All team rating takes place in our Rating Center thread, which can be located here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24060

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]