Which team?
Team 1 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
Team 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Team 3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Better Team for 2010 VGC? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So, I'm planning a team for the 2010 VGC(Which for America have not been announced) assuming the rules are the same as Japan's. (4-on-4 Double. It's somewhere on the Smogon forums.) I came up with three teams.

Team 1
Tyranitar @ Focus Sash (Thanks MasterChef!)
Adamant Sand stream
252 S 128 A 128 SD
Crunch
Dragon Dance
Protect
Earthquake

Registeel @ Shuca(?) Berry
Adamant Clear Body
252 A 252 HP 6 D
Explosion
Iron Head
Ice Punch
Earthquake

Ho-Oh (Yes Ho-Oh on a sandstorm team) @ Life Orb
Adamant Pressure
252A 252 S 6 D
Sacred Fire
Recover
Brave bird
Punishment

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Jolly Sand Veil
252 A 252 S 6 HP
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Stone Edge
Crunch

Some Ubers are now allowed. Ho-Oh is on here because he isn't hit by EQ and I might as well abuse the fact that he's allowed. In addition Sacred Fire is super effective against Skarmory. First turn, T-Tar protects while Regi explodes, or if there are Ghost types, T-Tar uses Crunch and Regi uses a different move. Then, Chomp and Ho-Oh clean up.

Team 2
Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Timid Drizzle
252 SA 252 S 6 HP
Water Spout
Thunder
Ice Beam
Surf

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Modest Pressure
252 SA 252 S 6 HP
Surf
Thunder
Spatial Rend
???

Latios @ Wise Glasses
Timid Levitate
252 S 252 SA 6 HP
Dragon Pulse
Psychic
Calm Mind
Surf

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Jolly Intimidate
252 A 252 S 6 HP
Waterfall
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Ice Fang

Uh, simple Rain team pretty much. Latios is a pretty nice addition.

Team 3
Groudon @ Leftovers
Adamant Drought
252 A 252 SD 6 HP
Earthquake
Overheat
Dragon Claw
???

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Adamant Pressure
252 A 252 S 6 D
Earthquake/Punishment/Recover
Sacred Fire
Recover/EQ/Punishment
Brave Bird

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Modest Chlorophyll
252 S 252 SA 6 HP
SolarBeam
Psychic
Sleep Powder
Explosion

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Modest Blaze
Eruption
SolarBeam
Focus Blast
???

Exeggutor with Groudon is excellent(Not supposed to be a pun)
Sacred Fire gets a boost, along with Eruption on Typhlosion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may have made a few mistakes, correct me if you see any. So, post your opinions and vote in the poll! Also, regarding T-Tar, HG/SS Multiplayer has Auto-Level for battles, so T-Tar is usable.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I say team one because it has the most amount of Pokemon I hate the least.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Team 1 is 100% physical and only ho-oh is resistant to Earthquake while Ttar and Steel are both weak verse it

Team 2 is all water types and your running a rain dance set thunders a major threat , surf will still hurt you badly even with resistantses

Team 3 has to worry about Ice shard, I'd suggest Fire Punch instead of Overheat, and add shadow claw, HP Ice for typlosion

Other Ideas
I went in 09 so i saw some some thing that you shoud be wary of

4x weakness, especially with priority moves like mach punch or ice shard

chocie items, if your down to you last two pokemon which happens faster with only 4 to start with, you could be locked into a ineffective move

Don't rely on wheather too much, your only allowed to enter 6 six pokemon (still use only 4) , if some one changes the wheater your most likely finished

HP is pericous use it sparingly, explosion user is the loser (if it ends the match)

Accuracy counts double team is allowed

Minimize weaknesses, On My team No two pokemon shared a weakness and each had two or less weaknesses

Matches are timed so don't try and out last your foe

Glass Cannons must destroy or be destroyed

Walls should be balanced

For a Team mix I suggest a wall, a tank and a special and physical sweeper.

Other things like luck affect the battle in ways you can't control,
that was my downfall, My dusknoir was critically Hit, and even though I got past that my umbreons acc was lowered one level by gastrondons muddy water(10% chance of Happening) and so Dig on lucario missed

Ps Lucario was in the red, gastrodon was about to by KOed by Toxic, My Umbreon was at 2/3 HP an resisted all of Gastrodons Attacks
Lucario moved first aura sphere, missed cause I'm under ground, I dig up and miss lucario, umbreon takes gastrodons hit easly, it faints due to toxic, then lucario blasts me with aura sphere, Game Over

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm Kinda leaning towards Team 3, Team one I'm not going to use. I may still use Team 2 but discharge is a big threat, especially if it paralyzes. Anyways thanks for the advice.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Probably Team 3, since team 2 is predictable because lots of people will be using rain teams due to Kyogre and Palkia being allowed, and team 1 you decided not to use (plus it has no special attacks).

Good luck in the VGC!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

/vXv\ wrote:
your only allowed to enter 6 six pokemon (still use only 4)

If I recall correctly, you can choose 4 pokemon from a team of 6 for each battle with knowledge of the opponent's pokemon (species). Therefore, you should choose 6 pokemon considering that you may want to choose a different 4 depending on the opponent's pokemon.

Electrike! wrote:
team 2 is predictable because lots of people will be using rain teams due to Kyogre and Palkia being allowed

Good point, but if you want to run a Sun team make sure your Groudon has - Spe nature (Brave) 0 Spe IV or you will lose control of the weather from the start. (Assume that the any Rain team opponents will be attempting to use the same with Kyogre). In fact, if you believe that Kyogre/Palkia Rain teams will be common, you may want to choose a team that can counter it easily.

/vXv\ wrote:
HP is pericous use it sparingly, explosion user is the loser (if it ends the match)

An Explosion/Protect that takes out two opponents can be quite devastating, but you'll need some prediction to pull it off because enemies will be expecting it. If you want an Exploder, however, Metagross is a common choice, and Rain works nicely by removing its Fire weakness. I would choose Snorlax (Selfdestruct), which has less Atk but higher base damage from STAB, is less likely to be predicted as a 1st turn Exploder, and has a good chance of surviving the 1st turn if you optimize defense. Use Choice Band or Life Orb to maximize damage, assuming you want Protect/Explode 1st turn, which is a great start if it works. (Of course, if you intend to keep Snorlax out a few turns and then Selfdestruct, Life Orb is a big giveaway to your opponent that your moveset is weird).

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If you plan on going Sunny Day get the slow groudon,
And consider Getting a cherrim, flower gift boosts Attack AND Special Defence by 50% when its sunny two things groudon would really enjoy!

As far as stats go I'd focus on Keeping it alive
Impish/Bold Nature with flower gift AT is slightly higher than its special but they are still close
EVS in HP DF SD

Moves that are supportive
Helping hand
Aromatherapy
Lucky Chant
Captivate- remember it hits both opponents (but may not be helpful if every ones using Legendarys)
Worry seed
Sweet scent -remember it hits both opponents

other Good moves
Synthesis
solar Beam
wheather Ball
If its working with groudon include protect

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

@Sion9 the rules have changed.You may only enter 4 pokemon, if I remeber correctly.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]