It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Potential problems with Battle Frontier team 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Firstly, I am aware that there is a rating center but I have not made this team yet so it is incomplete and I would be breaking a few rules if I posted there.

Anyway I got together some poke's to train into a team for the Frontier (mostly the Battle Tower) and before I used my BP, time, and money getting TM's, items, and EV's I just wanted to post my potential team and see if there are any alterations that can make it better. I have FireRed, Emerald, and Platinum but do not have access to trading to and from Platinum; but for some reason I have two GBA's so I can trade between Emerald and FireRed. Also I am terrible at deciding what items to give my Pokemon.

Single Battle Team: (In no paticulor order)

Houndoom@Focus Band
Timid-252 SA 252 Spd
Early Bird

Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Nasty Plot
Reversal

I think Flash Fire is a better ability but it took so many eggs to get a Timid Houndour I let it slide. Nasty Plot to increase damage, Focus Band lets the frail Houndoom take a hit, then smash away with STAB moves and Reversal if something like Tyranitar comes up.

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Adamant-252Atk 252 HP
Sandstream

Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Fang

I was wondering if there was a point in giving Tyranitar Speed Ev's, he's slow but not horribly and I don't know enough to tell what he will outspeed if he did have the speed EV's and/or Jolly nature. Type spread means no pokemon resists his attacks, and he's strong. Only downside I can see is the Sandstorm he creates harming Starmie or Houndoom.

Starmie@Life Orb
Modest-252 SA 252 Spd
Natural Cure

Psychic
Ice Beam
Surf
Thunderbolt

Special attack version of Tyranitar but faster and more frail. I can probably drop an attack move for a utility move but I was thinking that in Battle Tower it wasn't necessary.

Double Battle Team:

Swampert@Leftovers
Adamant-252 Atk 252 Spd
Torrent

Earthquake
Ice Punch
Waterfall
Hammer Arm

Salamence@Shell Bell
Jolly-252 Atk 252 Spd
Intimidate

Dragon Claw
Crunch
Fire Blast
Ariel Ace

I know it's kind of risky to have two physical sweepers together but I think they complement each other well enough to make it viable. Swampert spams Earthquake, only using it's other moves if necessary. Salamance has Fire Blast instead of Fire Fang so it can take down Steels like Skarmory and Steelix faster.

For both of these teams I just regurgitated my Emerald Battle Frontier lineup with appropriate alterations. If there are moves or items that can fit the Pokemon better or an entirely new Pokemon that can perform a role better I would really appreciate the advice.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think this is a pretty effective team for the battle frontier; usually you can get away with things there that you couldn't do in competitive battling (i.e. going to the battle tower, sweeping all 7 trainers with my Dragonite and not having to switch out once) so sweepers will do fairly well for you. Not having Flash Fire for Houndoom isn't that big of a deal, and the timid nature definitely outweighs the cons. If you're wanting a utility move for Starmie, you could ditch Surf for (possibly) Calm Mind, but with Starmie's special stats, if you ev it right, I doubt you would need to. The moveset you have for Starmie is pretty standard and covers almost anything. If anything, you could swich up the order as leading off with a sweeper in the battle frontier will almost always do good for you in the battle frontier. Good luck!

Platinum:0131 6405 3972
HG:3653-2811-9825
Up for a battle anytime! Just send me a PM.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]