It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Recommended team for someone new to the whole battle thing 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

So the title says all...basically I'm new to the world of EVs and competitive battling, and I want to have a good solid team that can beat most other teams with the right experience and the strategies that I should use. No complicated terminology as I'm very very new, please.

I'd like the team to somehow utilize the following pokemon, since I like them:

Blaziken (level 100!)
Kyogre
Empereon

other than that I think I'm fine with anything. I might be able to get an Arceus as well, if that changes the team setup.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, there's no such thing as a end-all beat-all team. It's all up to your battling style, your strengths and weaknesses, and what your opponent has in store. We should take this in steps.

First of all, you must decide what tier you want to battle in. Since you stated your team must have Kyogre, you must compete in the Uber tier. This is the area for most legendaries, Garchomp, and Wobbuffet. In this tier, you'll probably want some Pokemon well suited to taking out the many powerful Dragon-type Legendaries as well as different moves to cover the rest of those Pokemon. You may want to have some more strong Ubers on your team to compete in this tier (although it isn't entirely necessary). Consider Pokemon such as Mewtwo, Latios or Latias, and the pseduo-legendaries such as Metagross and Dragonite. Tyranitar wont mix well with Kyogre due to their weather-based abilities cancelling each other out during the battle.

Next, you should look at the type of team you want to have. Since you'll be utilizing Kyogre, you may want to go with Pokemon who either benefit from the rain, or who are not affected too negatively by Drizzle. Bliazken will suffer here due to Fire attacks being weakened and Water attacks being strengthened. Be sure to account for that during team formulation. It would be a good idea to put a strong Swift Swimmer on your team, such as Kabutops with Sword Dance, Waterfall, Stone Edge, and Low Kick. After a SD or two, you can maul teams that don't break up your rain (watch for Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Rayquaza, and Groudon if they switch in). It would also be useful to have a few Pokemon with Thunder, as its accuracy is 100% in rain and can even break through Protect occasionally.

Next, you must look at what your team needs. You should probably have a good wall (either Physical or Special), a strong Special attacker, a strong Physical attacker, possibly a mixed Sweeper, and a good supporter. I'm about 99% certain that there are guides on this site that explain these roles and provide examples of them, so you may want to hunt around and check them out.

Next, you must consider items. There's always room for a suicide lead like Azelf who can throw down Stealth Rocks and get in an Explosion if equipped with Focus Sash (watch out for Hail). The Choice items are always good for power/speed boost if you don't mind being locked into one move. You could always attach a Choice item and Trick it onto an opponent, which is normally crippling to opponents' strategy. Brightpowder is always a good item, as well if it doesn't break Evasion Clause. Items like Life Orb and Leftovers are normally good to put on Pokemon who either just need a little power boost or a bulky Pokemon who won't go down without a fight respectively. Stat-incresing berries such as Salac and Liechi are also great to attach to Pokemon who won't go down in one hit/have used Endure. Just make sure you do not break Item CLause.

Finally, the Clauses I've mentioned. In competitive battling, there are several rules and regulations most players try to abide by to uphold the spirit of the game These Clauses are as follows: Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, OHKO Clause, Item Clause, Species Clause, and of course the Tier Rules. Evasion Clause prohibits the use of moves such as Double Team or Minimize that make it harder for the opponent to hit the target. It takes all fairness out of the game for a Pokemon to use Double Team 6 times while you try to set up only so that they can beat you down with an unhittable Shuckle or something lame like that. Sleep Clause dictates that you may not put more than one of your opponents Pokemon to sleep at one time. Again, it isn't fair for a Pokemon to use Hypnosis/Sleep Powder 6 times and leave you completely defenseless while they wipe you out with a Bulbasaur. Rest and Serene Grace do not activate Sleep Clause. OHKO Clause says that you cannot use One Hit KO Moves such as Horn Drill or Sheer Cold in battle. There's no skill involved in using moves that are a guaranteed KO if they connect. Item CLause prohibits the use of more than one of the same item on your team at one time. It's not fair for a team to be equipped with 6 Focus Sashes, which guarantee they will not die in one hit no matter what you due (excepting Poison or Sandstorm). Species Clause states that you cannot have more than one of the same Pokemon on your Team. Once again, there's no skill involved in a team of 6 Arceus hacked to have max stats and amazing movesets. Just use different Pokemon, k? Then there's the Tier Rules which basically say you cannot use a Pokemon of a higher tier in a battle for lower tiered Pokes. If you're fighting a battle of Under Used Pokemon, leave the Palkia in you PC Box. This is to ensure that a Pokemon with incredibly high base stats is kept out of a battle where the others have weak base stats. Put a Raichu up against a Groudon, and I guarantee you the latter will probably win.

Hope I helped you, and welcome to the world of competitive battling.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:53 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Thanks for the help!

I read that Blaziken makes a good sweeper or something. However, your point about Kyogre's special ability is true. Should I drop Blaziken or Kyogre?

I've also read that Kyogre can make a good...something. I've forgotten. Which role does it suit best and how should I build it to do so?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I would suggest looking here for any ideas about Pokemon you may want to include in your team. They have great team strategies, movesets, EV spreads, all you could ever want when trying to form your competitve battling team. Glad to be of service to someone. :)

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I personally feel that Kyogre is one of, if not the best, special sweepers in the game, mainly because of the automatic rain dance. Between this and the STAB, his Hydro Pump will do 270 base damage. When this is calculated with Kyogre's massive SpAtk stat, you're looking at OHKOs and 2HKOS very often. Additionaly, Kyogrte can learn calm mind to further boost it, so I would keep Kyogre and ditch Blaziken. If you're going to be doing ubers anyways, you may as well throw Garchomp or Rayquaza in there. I like Ho'oh as a wall because he has very high SpDEf and he can halve anything's atk (except another Fire-type) with Will-o-wisp being a TM. Just some suggestions. Good luck :D

Platinum:0131 6405 3972
HG:3653-2811-9825
Up for a battle anytime! Just send me a PM.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

hey heard you were knew and if youre gonna drop blazikein if Toxicroak counts put him in for a uber and that will help out a lot since toxicroak has dry body and inner focus if it has dry body it can benifet from rain and heal its self after every turn so that will make it hard to hit if you want. you would have to ko it to tkae it out with kyogres rain drizzle.

Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]