It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Rock Slide or Stone Edge? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Nearly everyone uses Stone Edge for Rock attacks, but is it really worth it, and is Rock Slide better?

Stone Edge is obviously more powerful than Rock Slide and has a high CH rate, but it only hits 80% of the time, and it has low PP.

Rock Slide is less powerful, but it still does decent damage, has slightly higher accuracy, and even has a good flinch rate, while also having slightly more PP.

So should I use Stone Edge on my pokes, or Rock Slide?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

This all boils down to the classic argument. Power vs. Accuracy. Stone Edge has the power that you need to score some crucial kills that can either make or break a match, but Rock Slide provides a much more reliable move to hit the Pokemon. It really goes down to your personal preference. I myself would opt for Stone Edge, because of the power and ability to kill things easier.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Power versus accuracy doesn't stand up in this case because A) Rock Slide is weaker than moves like Thunderbolt, Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, etc., and B) Rock Slide still has only 90% accuracy, so in combination with a middling 75 Base Power, it sucks. Even the flinch rate isn't as good as the increased critical hit rate because most Rock Pokemon are slow as hell. Stone Edge is better.

What I'd REALLY like is a Rock-type move that's like 100% accuracy and 80 or 90 Power. Out of all of the types, I think Rock is the ONLY one that lacks a move like this for whatever reason. Hell, the only 100% accurate Rock attacks in general are Ancientpower and Power Gem. Ouch.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:51 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

There really isn't a reason to use Rock Slide over Stone Edge. Rock Slide has shaky accuracy as well, and lacks the raw power and potiential crit rate of Stone Edge. If your really worried about accuracy, use an item like scope lens or add a Victini to your team. Thats the best advice I can give you.

FC changed recently. Anyone who has registered me should change it in their Pal Pad.

My trading thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27005

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Personally I prefer rock slide to stone edge if the pokemon in question that's using it is fast, using it for type coverage and scores a 1-2-3hko on the intended counter in question with either. Since the accuracy and flinch rate make the chance of a ko without being hit much higher, Stone edge is best in most other situations if you can take the occasional miss. Also with Sheer force, rock slide always better as it's just as strong as stone edge.

Frost wrote:
A) Rock Slide is weaker than moves like Thunderbolt, Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, etc.,

Your comparing special attacks to a physical attack, assuming it's a physical based poke to use Rock slide/Stone edge it's much more comparable to moves like I/T/F punch which are widely learned but have the same 75 base.

Frost wrote:
most Rock Pokemon are slow as hell.

Terrakion, Archeops, Crustle(after shell smash) Reilicanth, Omastar and Kabutops w/ Swift swim, DD/CS TTar, and Aerodactyl can all hit high speeds either initially or after 1 set-up turn.

Non-DD Ttar, Aggron, Cradly(usually special based), Rhypherior, and Gigalith are the only slow ones seen in battling.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well I was wanting to have a {tyranitar} either with DD or C-Band, so I'm assuming Stone Edge would be better?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:49 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Stone Edge would be best on CB TTar for sheer power, On a DD set you can use either, since you have the speed to make a flinch and crunch/EQ as an accurate back up, but edge still has the most raw power and combines best with LO.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:40 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

What's a DD?

And I like Rock Slide because it can hit multiple opponents.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:07 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

hammythepig wrote:
What's a DD?

And I like Rock Slide because it can hit multiple opponents.

DD stands for Dragon Dance.

Go for Stone Edge always for the power, and usually you have moves like Chef said that are more reliable for back up. Rock Slide is good, but in doubles and triples the power of the move that can hit multiple opponents is reduced severely. Personally I would never use a CBand on a T-Tar as its attack is already relatively high, I would opt for CScarf on it. Remedies to a degree its speed problem and gives it a slight ability to revenge kill things.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

In my opinion stone edge is only a situation i'm scared of of the 80% accuracy with wide lens acc becomes 88 not bad but could be better
I never use a move if it's accuracy is under 90 unless the move is head smash or on a no gaurd pokemon
with wide lens rock slides accuracy is no worse than hyper fang and aqua tail all of which are 99 so a miss would have a 1% chance of happening the power gain is a lot but i can not stand the misses

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thanks guys. Sadly I decided to stop building a competetive team because I want a LIFE,but if I want to keep on building it, I'll chose Stone Edge. Thanks!

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

If your using a slow rock powerhouse, like Regirock, I suggest you use that slowness to your advantage and just use a Zoom lens. It will give you that 20% accuracy boost to make Stone Edge way more accurate than Rock Slide. This is just what I use to help get that extra boost of accuracy.

http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28487
I have an even better Trade Thread here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3452985

Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:51 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Regirock really doesn't want to lose Leftovers recovery, though...

On a Ttar, use Stone Edge, it nets you quite a few OHKOs that Rock Slide doesn't, and a couple of these are situations where they'd OHKO you if you didn't OHKO them first. If you plan on getting more than a couple of DDs, then by all means use Rock Slide, but usually you won't be getting more than one DD, and Rock Slide just isn't powerful enough, even after a DD.

In general, when you're faced with this kind of situtation, think
-"If I had a Starmie, would I give it Hydro Pump or Surf?"
Or
-"If I had a Blaziken, would I give it Flare Blitz or Blaze Kick?"
Or
-"If I had a Magnezone, would I give it Thunder or Thunderbolt?"
Or
-"If I had a Mienshao, would I give it Hi Jump Kick or Brick Break?"

Basically, find a similar Pokemon you're familiar with, and apply the context to that.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Guys, did you read my last post? I abandoned this tread a long time ago, so no need to post here anymore! ;)

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]