It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gen V - Full Dream World Metagame 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

(This topic is for full Dream World. That is, all Dream World abilities are allowed. The only Pokemon are banned are Pokemon with 670 or higher BST, excluding Slaking and Regigigas)

On the Pokemon Online Battle Simulator (http://pokemon-online.eu/downloads/Client_17.html), people have already started battling and experimenting with Pokemon. The metagame is starting to develop, and across the statistics (http://91.121.73.228/Dream%20World/index.html), some Pokemon are frequently found at the top of the leaderboard.

What Pokemon are most used?

These rankings change quite often, but all the Pokemon listed are nearly always in the top 10.

[#1] Shandera
- This Ghost/Fire Pokemon is found at the #1 position nearly all the time. Shandera has Shadow Tag, trapping all Pokemon without a Shed Shell or U-Turn/Volt Change/Baton Pass. Shandera has moderate defenses, massive Special Attack and average speed. Most carry Choice Scarf in order to revenge-kill weakened Pokemon.

[#2] Nattorei
- Nattorei is a good defensive Pokemon, with only two weaknesses and 74/131/116 base defenses. It learns some great supportive moves such as Leech Seed, Spikes and Stealth Rock. Although it takes low damage from quite a lot of attacks, it does have some large problems, especially Urugamosu.

[#3] Roobushin
- Roobushin's stat spread is very similar to Machamp (average defenses, low speed and massive attack). Most Roobushin run Mach Punch, Bulk Up, Drain Punch and Payback. Roobushin does have a low Special Defense stat, but with some EVs and enough HP it can take quite a few powerful special attacks and defeat the opponent. Roobushin's best counter is Rankurusu, who resists Roobushin's STAB and is slower than Roobushin, so Payback will be half power.

[#4] Tyranitar
- Sandstorm is still a very popular type of team, and Tyranitar creates Sandstorms due to Sand Stream. With the special-defense boost from Sandstorm (for rock-types), Tyranitar can shrug off most special attacks and hit hard - or fast, with a Choice Scarf.

[#5] Breloom
- Breloom was always good with Spore and Focus Punch, but Dream World has given it the ability Technician. This can make Breloom's Mach Punch as strong as Scizor's Bullet Punch (Breloom doesn't usually run Choice Band, though). Breloom also has a powerful Technician-boosted Bullet Seed (in Gen V, Bullet Seed's base power has been increased to 25).

[#6] Doryuuzu
- Doryuuzu's ability, Sand Throw, doubles its speed in Sandstorm. With Swords Dance, you can end up with +2 Attack and +2 Speed within one turn of set-up. STAB Earthquake is extremely powerful, supported by coverage moves like Rock Slide and X-Scissor. Most Doryuuzu use the item Balloon, which grants it immunity to Ground-type attacks as long as it isn't hit with a non-ground type attack (spikes, toxic spikes and stealth rock do not count)

[#7] Ditto
- Ditto received a new ability in Eccentric from the Dream World. Transforming into the opponent once you enter the battlefield makes Ditto a lot better, especially with Choice Scarf. Used as a cheap reverse, you can wait for an opponent to set up, such as a Doryuuzu using Swords Dance - then switch in Ditto, outspeed Doryuuzu and copy its stat boosts, then sweep with your own Ditto. You can apply this to most set-up sweepers - baton passed Nasty Plot/Swords Dance, Butterly Dance from Urugamosu, Swords Dances from Blaziken, etc.

[#8] Blaziken
- Blaziken's new Dream World ability, Speed Boost, completely changes its usage. You can Baton Pass Swords Dance to teammates and even Flare Blitz/Hi Jump Kick your opponent with their high power. Blaziken is quite popular as a lead, and also very effective.

[#9] Jarooda
- Jarooda's Dream World ability, Perversity, reverses stat boosts and drops. If Jarooda tries to use Cheer Up, its Attack and Special Attack will go down one stage. On the other hand, if you use Leaf Storm, your special attack will go up by 2 stages. Even though this is very good, Jarooda has problems with coverage (it has a worthless offensive movepool).

[#10] Garchomp
- Garchomp still uses Swords Dance and Yache Berry, and Earthquake and Outrage. Most things have remained the same for Garchomp, but it has come downwards from Ubers in Gen V due to the new powerful threats. Many Garchomp use Choice Scarf instead, giving it 499 Speed.

Here are some other highly ranked Pokemon:

11 Espeon (Magic Mirror reflects all status moves such as Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Scary Face and Will-O-Wisp back at the opponent)
12 Politoed (Drizzle - I've tried rain teams and they're quite powerful)
13 Scizor (same as before)
14 Zapdos (now gets Lightningrod, which has been upgraded. If you switch into an electric attack, your Special Attack gets boosted by one stage)
15 Genosekuto (Bug/Steel type legendary) (Flamethrower. Ice Beam. Thunderbolt. Bug Buzz. Rock Polish. U-turn. Lots of good moves)
16 Urugamosu (Bug/Fire) (Butterfly Dance is an excellent boosting move, boosting Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed all by one stage)
17 Dragonite (Multiscale ability: halves damage when at maximum HP)
18 Burungeru (good resistances and defenses)
19 Kingdra (rain sweeping, Chesto rest)
20 Gyarados (Overconfidence 'Earthquake Spiral': raises Attack every time you faint a Pokemon)

So what do you think will happen with the metagame? What type of teams do you think will be most popular?

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Honestly Sand Storm teams are probably going to be the most popular. A lot of good Pokemon have Sand Veil. Doryuzu has been popping up on every single Sand Storm team. At least the metagame feels more balanced this way, at least to me.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I agree with Shina, perma sun/rain are around, but sandstream still edges out due to residual damage, Sand strength boosting EdgeQuake, Sand throw matching swift swim and chlorophyll, and the S.def boosts to rock types.

Also Sandstream leads usually win against Drought/Drizzle leads due to TTar and Hippowdon's lower speed stat.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The most broken thing in the game is passing speed boosts to doryuzuu with sand power. Its delicious!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've tried about four different teams, and I've noticed that Rain is actually quite good. I use Kingdra (physical) and Omastar (shell break special) as sweepers and they work well. I've also been using a team centered around Baton Pass behind Reflect and Light Screen. Mew is really bulky and I can nearly always get a +4 boost passed to Roobushin, who takes low damage behind the dual screens. Ditto is the biggest problem to my team as my team relies on large stat boosts.

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

One thing I noticed about the statistics is that pinch berries are used, dunno if DW tier allows everything including but those aren't obtainable in genV yet.

GenV wifi shows salac users as well.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

if mence got outrage in BW, he'd be up there with earthquake spiral outrage :(

i think there should be a special mention for agiruuda, who's scarfed death gamble at 252 HP 252 Spe is pretty much the new explosion. if ur team has a weakness, just slap on an agiruuda and he explodes it for you :)

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]