It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Magic Bounce Breaks Sleep Clause? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I was watching a YouTube video of a Black and White battle, in the battle the opponent used Hypnosis from their Politoed to put a Latios to sleep. Then later in the battle the person used Hypnosis from their Milotic and the opponent switched into a Magic Bounce Espeon and bounced the Hypnosis back into the Milotic, putting it to sleep. It got me thinking, would this break Sleep Clause? In way the opponent did put two of the person's Pokemon asleep, but on the other hand the Hypnosis was bounced back and it originally came from the team that already had a sleeping Pokemon so that sleep would have been self induced. My question that I propose to y'all is, What do you think of this, and would you think that this breaks Sleep Clause? I would say no, because the second sleep is technically self induced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacI5H3y ... ture=feedu

This is the battle I was talking about, the instance of Magic Bounce Sleep occurs at about 1:50 in the battle video, just in case people couldn't follow what I was saying.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:05 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If you have good enough prediction to put something to sleep with Magic Bounce, it doesn't break the clause. It's similar to how Ice Beam doesn't (purposely) break Freeze Clause (although thats mostly a simulator-only clause anyway) or how Metronome and Assist don't break anything. I seem to recall discussions on whether Accupressure breaks Evasion clause, but I don't remember how that was resolved.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I can see this from both viewpoints, since i have reflected hypnosis before with Xatu on pokemon online, and it was technically considered Xatu's attack. But i wouldn't think it would violate sleep clause in online battling, and would probably be considered self-induced since the attack can't be duplicated by magic mirror unless it was used by the other pokemon in the first place. It is a sticky situation though.

Platinum:0131 6405 3972
HG:3653-2811-9825
Up for a battle anytime! Just send me a PM.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:37 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Since the sleep occurs from the player's own move I say it is self induced. Same applies to a sleep move knocked back with Magic coat, Me first, and copycat(to an extent) All of which are now usable in the current gen so it's just a risk that applies to using sleep.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah I noticed that it is a risk. Honestly I don't think it breaks Sleep Clause, as the move that is inducing the sleep came from you. Still it is something to think and discuss about, because you know a ruling like this could occur in some major tournaments. I think if it does become more common they will add an addendum to Sleep Clause to say "Magic Bounce induced sleep doesn't break clause."

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]