It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Discussion: Weather in the metagame 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

As we all know, the Gen V metagame is dominated by weather. With the introduction of Drizzle Politoed and Drought Ninetales, all weathers finally got an auto-inducer, leading the metagame to overcentralization around the strategies and turning it into a weather war. Not all types of weather are as strong, though. Rain has definitely been the No.1 threat. Despite Smogon's ban on Swift Swim+Drizzle in the same team as well as the suspect tests on Rain abusers, namely Keldeo and Tornadus-T, Rain is still the No.1 weather due to the versatility of Water-types that allow Rain teams to play either offensively or defensively.
However, the other weathers aren't far behind. Sun sports powerful abusers such as Heatran, Volcarona and Chlorophyll Venusaur; Sand might have had its most powerful Pokemon, Sand Rush Excadrill, sent to Ubers, however with Pokemon such as Garchomp and Terrakion as well as the great bulk of its two inducers, Tyranitar and Hippowdon. Hail, although being much less used, with Abomasnow being the only weather inducer in UU, still finds a place in the lower tier and is pretty successful.
So what do you do about weather? Do you play a weather team of your own? Do you make your teams based on countering weather. And most importantly, do you think weather should be allowed or, as some people say, it's better off to Ubers?

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I don't play competitively anymore, and weather teams were a big reason. They're generally always going to be better than non-weather teams. I play for fun, and pride myself on creative teambuilding. The whole concept just ruins everything.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:20 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

...is how I feel about the current metagame right now.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It was fun when you really needed to use Rain Dance or Sunny Day to get weather...
Now... send out Politoed and it's raining!!!
I have a Kingdra with Swift Swim in my team, but I don't use Rain Dance or Drizzle, it's not fair.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Drizzle+Swift Swim in the same team are allowed only in Ubers in competitive battling anyway.
Really, though, weather makes things kinda boring. I've been trying to make weatherless teams in OU and VGC to make a difference. However, I still play a Kyogre in Ubers.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]