It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Will Mega's See much play outside the main game? 

Will Mega's see much play outside regular play?
They will see a lot of play 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
they will see Limited play 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They are only usefull in regular play 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
To early to say 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Will Mega's See much play outside the main game? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

As the title suggests do you think Mega's will see much action, outside the main game? (such as Competitions/ the "battle factory/ subway?)

Peronally, I can see some Mega's used outside of Regular play, Such as Mega Blazkein, while others...not so much/ limited in there use, like Mega Kanghaskan.

I also see there being many more possible movesets for these Pokemon, since each will have 2 diffeent Megas (well thats what it looks like) each with a different boost in stat and ability, so it might make for a much more interesting game.

So what are thought on the effects of Megas?

((Sorry if this question is kinda vague, Ive been thinking about it myself, bust wasnt sure how to ask it...))

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The rumor seems to be that when a Pokemon Mega-evolves it does so with priority before any other move as well as attacks at the same time. That alone will have a huge impact, not to mention many of the megapokes whose stats have been calculated seem to be in the 630~650BST range.

I say there'll be one on almost every team unless a large amount of them are banned.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Depending on the actual strengths and benefits that Megas receive, and which Pokemon actually receive one (or two), and assuming that enough Mega Pokemon are useable competitively, think of it this way:

Every competitive team needs to have a Mega Pokemon, because every other serious team will have one, similar to need to have counters for popular pokemon such as Scizor and combos such as SkarmBliss. Assuming that this is true, when you enter a battle, you likely won't know which of your opponent's pokemon will evolve, and likewise, they do not know which of yours will evolve. And then, to top that off, assuming that Charizard and Mewtwo aren't special, and each X and Y have respective Mega Forms for every pokemon involved, that unknown pokemon will have two potential new forms.

That alone adds a rather large dynamic to the meta-game.

Of course, considering that some Megas will undoubtedly be more useful than others, such as, rhetorically, Charizard X, who is not totally crippled by Stealth Rock like his other two forms, will likely be seen more commonly than Charizard Y, regardless of Drought, and the Base Charizard overall, who, as far as I can tell at this moment (which admittedly is nothing at all, aside from the fact that he is unlikely to join the Fae…) will gain little to nothing in standing, which is not much in the first place. Of course, a spinner would be all but mandatory if Charizard was your ace, regardless of the form used, unless Nintendo chooses to apply limits to the amount of times a trap can be activated before disappearing.

Then consider the pokemon who are already OU - Gengar, Gyarados, Garchomp, Blaziken (though, by Smogon standards, he's Uber with Speed Boost), and Lucario. And these won't be the only ones.

I predict that, not only will they be used outside of the main game, Mega Evolutions will revolutionize our tier system. Especially with Fairies thrown into the mix. Pokemon like Gardevoir and Charizard, who are fan favorites that are unable to stand high in the food chain that are the tier systems of Generations IV and V, have been given some nice boosts and stand to gain ground. Meanwhile, others such as Hydreigon, who now has a new double weakness, are hit hard.

If MasonTheChef is correct about the total base stat range of Megas, then they would rank well above the Basic Pseudo-Legendaries, and just below the Uber class in terms of stats. Given this, Garchomp (as a Mega) will almost certainly be Uber once more.

Actually, looking at the stats, I've never noticed before that Slaking has the same base total as Groudon and Kyogre. If that range is true, then they could probably just leave a 'Mega-Slaking' alone statistically, and only swap out its Truant for Vital Spirit or something; reawaken Vigoroth, so to say.

Yeah…so…I think that Mega-Evolutions will have uses both in and out of the main games =)

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:03 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Kiga wrote:
Of course, considering that some Megas will undoubtedly be more useful than others, such as, rhetorically, Charizard X, who is not totally crippled by Stealth Rock like his other two forms,

Actually it's just as crippled, as it will typically have to switch into SR as regular fire/flying Charizard before it can Mega evolve.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:31 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

MasonTheChef wrote:
Kiga wrote:
Of course, considering that some Megas will undoubtedly be more useful than others, such as, rhetorically, Charizard X, who is not totally crippled by Stealth Rock like his other two forms,

Actually it's just as crippled, as it will typically have to switch into SR as regular fire/flying Charizard before it can Mega evolve.

Kiga wrote:
Of course, a spinner would be all but mandatory if Charizard was your ace, regardless of the form used, unless Nintendo chooses to apply limits to the amount of times a trap can be activated before disappearing.

Yep, before evolution, but not after, as would be the case with Charizard Y.

I probably could have been more clear that the spinner would be more for Base Charizard's benefit than for Charizard X, though.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:32 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'd say many Megas won't see much play outside the games, mainly because they seem ridiculously powerful. Take Blaziken for example. Or Mewtwo. They're gonna have to create a new tier just for them. Let's just hope we won't see Mega Arceus, or all hell's gonna break loose.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]