It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Doublade Analysis 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So far the main poke I've been toying with thus far in XY has been Doublade. Good stats, typing and horribly overshadowed by it's evolution Aegislash.

STATS: 59 HP/ 110 ATK / 150 DEF / 45 S.ATK / 49 S.DEF / 35 SPD

It's stats scream one job; Eviolite tank. With it Doublade can block physical attacks better than anything. It's attack is decent and coupled with it's low speed and access to swords dance makes it one of the best Gyro ball users around, and STAB Shadow sneak icing the cake.

That's where the good stuff ends. It's special defense is dismal, with eviolite pushing it up to 203 at base. the loss of steel's ghost/dark resist make it weak to those types as well as fire/ground; types you see on any offensive poke worth salt. No guard does it no favors in Smogon/PO with evasion clause. (Though it's worth noting it's a decent ability in Wifi, as with it Doublade is a full counter to Minimize/Toxic/ST/Softboiled Chansey and Minimize Chandelure. Just watch out for Sheer cold) It's movepool is very limited and leaves it struggling for coverage moves outside of Sacred Sword. As Doublade need eviolite to function well, trick and the massively buffed Knock Off will ruin it.

Despite the flaws, it's massive defensive and strong attack make it worthwhile tank to run in OU and Wifi with good and specially defensive support.

Sword Dancer
(Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 HP / 16 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword/Rock Slide/Pursuit
- Gyro Ball
- Swords Dance

Idea of this set is simple, come in when you can IE: any physical attack. Throw a SD up and hammer with Gyro balls or clean with Shadow Sneak.
Sacred Sword is for coverage as well as smashing Ferrothorn and M-Khan, but can be switched with Rock Slide to hammer Gyarados and Talonflame hard or pursuit to weaken fleeing attackers and make them easier to KO later on.

240 HP sets Doublade at 319 HP, just below the magic 320 number. So it takes 1 less hp per burn,SR,hail.

Defensive Dance
(Doublade) @ Eviolite
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 HP / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance/Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak

This set is much more capable of taking hits from both ends, boosting it's S.def to 295 alongside a 559 def and 319HP. Strategy is similar to the first set, but setting up a sub on the opponents switch to hide from incoming Trick/WoW/Knock off users. From there you can either SD up or hit and run while you sub is destroyed. Toxic over SD is also an option to damage many of Doublades full counters.

Choice Band
(Doublade) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 HP / 16 SDef
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword /Rock Slide

Unlike the prior sets, this one forgoes eviolite to hit harder via choice band. However much more care is needed to switch in as without eviolite it's defense is only ok and S.def is a wet paper bag. Once in you can throw off a powerful Gyro ball, smack them fleeing with Pursuit, or clean with Shadow sneak. Barring Gyro Ball this set can be easily outclassed by Aegsislash, but can grab some surprise value and KO's

Counters/Partners

Pokemon that can check and counter Doublade can be separated into three groups. Walls, Trick/Status users and Special attackers. Walls like Hippowdon, Skarmory, Vaporeon and Rotom-W can all take most of Doublades assaults and set up, phaze or hit back hard. Trick and status pokes such as Rotom-W, Gourgeist, Tangrowth, and Sigilyph can remove Doublades Eviolite or cripple it with a burn. And lastly just about any special attacker than can hit at least neutral and can take a +2 Shadow Sneak will break Doublade apart.

As such partners for Doublade can be placed into two groups. Special attackers that can switch into said walls and hit hard such as Dry skin Heiloisk, Greninja and Breloom can all switch in and force Skarm,Hippow,Rotom-W and Vaporeon out. Trick users of you own and clerics help deal with special attackers and pokes using trick. Florges and your own Rotom-W are great for this, as Florges can heal burns, pass wishes to Doublade and has the S.def to take any hit from that side. Rotom can throw tricked items back and take many special assaults aimed at Doublade as well.

Last edited by MasonTheChef on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In the first set you forgot to include Sword Dance. I'm assuming the second listing of Sacred Sword is where it goes.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Other than what Dare Pointed out, this looks very well written. While reading this, I cant help but feel like ii is something I would find on Smogon. I never really thought about using Doublade, but this kinda makes me want to use it, mainly cause you dont need to take up a move slot with King shield.

On a side note, I think maybe Psypokes should have its own Analysis, written by its own members. That way we wont always have to go to Smogon. I also feel that this would help liven up the battle tower+ maybe bring back the rating thread.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:49 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dare234 wrote:
In the first set you forgot to include Sword Dance. I'm assuming the second listing of Sacred Sword is where it goes.

Oops :p

GofD wrote:

On a side note, I think maybe Psypokes should have its own Analysis, written by its own members. That way we wont always have to go to Smogon. I also feel that this would help liven up the battle tower+ maybe bring back the rating thread.

Part of my reason for writing this, encourage people to discuss new pokes and the new meta here rather than Smogon/PO

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Honestly I would stick to option one out of my own personal preference of going for more offence than defense... then again I've always had that mentality which is why I wasn't much for stall wars. Honestly I would go with Pursuit as the attacking move over Rock Slide, as it would allow you to catch something trying to run away as you are trying to set up.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]