It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 How do you feel about Smogon? 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Usually Smogon has been a well respected Pokemon competitive battling community, but recently (since Gen V) it's undergone a bit of criticism because of how the tiers are set up (strong Pokemon being put in lower tiers, i.e. UU in Gen 6 would demolish UU in Gen 3) or excessive and possibly unnecessary bans, with a lot of the drama centered around Swagger, Aegislash, and Mega Mawile. So I just wanted to know what your guys opinions of Smogon is right now. Do you agree with how things are set up right now or do you think they're going a little too far? Or do you think something different?

Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

To be honest, I find its existence a bit funny. It lets people take this game way too seriously.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The majority of the online community uses Smogon. These are also the people who vote in the suspect tests. Consequently, these are the people who ban and create the current tierlist.
Smogon is simply a site whose rules about competitive battling are respected by a large part of the competitive battlers. These very competitive battlers are the ones to decide how the metagame will form though; Smogon just upholds these decisions. Plus, nobody forces you to play by their rules. Also, comparing tiers from different generations is completely stupid and something only someone with little to no knowledge of competitive battling would say. Pokemon, moves and strategies keep rising and falling, so there's no way the majority of them will stay in the same usage and power forever.
Smogon is a site which upholds a set of rules. The way they make these rules is perfectly reasonable. Therefore, the question is whether or not you want to abide by these rules.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Did I say I was complaining? You're acting like I was completely against your argument. I enjoy using Pokemon Showdown which for the most part is run by Smogon rules. And yes I'm aware that the metagames change by every generation but I feel like a lot of Pokemon in lower tiers are perfectly viable at least one tier higher than they are, but hey that's just me. In another thread there was a lot of complaining about Mega Mawile's suspect test so I wasn't sure how people felt about Smogon or maybe they were just upset with that one case.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I never said you were complaining, and I didn't adress the above to you or anyone in specific.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ive said this is another post: Smogon seems to be listening to those that whine and complain the loudest as of late.

Ive aslo looked through some of the posts in the Smogon's thread, and I cant really say that I agree with them.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have nothing against smogon in general. In all they are just a competitive group that sets it rules by votes/popularity. However I do feel they should open voting to more than just the top players. Not all good players can sit hours on showdown to get a COIL rating to vote. I'd like a vote via essay or something added.

I think the major heartburn Smogon gets nowadays is that the casual side of the community is becoming less and less of a thing as their bans become more top-tier based rather than over-centralization. In previous gens Smogon WAS the ruleset for all battles casual or competitive. Simply because of the difficulty to match up on DS games and the popularity of Shoddy/Showdown to play instead.
Then with this gen you have easy breeding, much easier to play match ups in-game, and popularity in e-sports making VCG more popular as well as PO and Pokebattle giving Smogon competition. Which I'm sure is forcing them to focus on becoming a more hardcore competitive group rather then their old "competitive authority" standing.

In the end if you dislike Smogon's rules/bans then play by another, unlike the past generations there is quite a few more options to play, either casual or competitive sided, In-game or Sim played.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]