Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Pokemon Analysis: Gyarados 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Gyarados

Type(s): Water/Flying

HP: 95 - ATTACK: 125 - DEFENSE: 79 - SP. ATK: 60 - SP. DEF: 100 - SPEED: 81

Trait;
Intimidate: Lowers the opponent's attack by one level when Gyarados is switched in.

Movesets:
- Taunt (Roar/Substitute/Thunder Wave)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
@ Leftovers

Gyarados is one hell of a sweeper, Packing base 125 attack, paired with good Defenses, HP, and Speed. Basically, hit everything except Zapdos, Aerodactyl, Lunatone, Solrock or Skarmory with HP Flying, and Earthquake. Taunt stops all Burns/Paras/sleeps and most importantly Hazers/Phazers. Thunder Wave is a great move, and it works well on Gyarados. It can Paralyze incoming Zapdos', Aerodactyls, etc.

- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Flying]
@ Leftovers

A special set with HP Flying, it can make a huge impact on a battle due to the sheer shock factor of this. You still hit Heracross, and this is also one of the best counters for opposing Gyarados'.

-Hidden Power [Flying]
-Earthquake
-Thunder
-Rest
@ Leftovers

This is another option, just make sure you pair it with a beller/aromatherapist to heal that rest. Not the best, but it can be surprising. Also, you can use DD over Rest if you want to.

EVs: DDGyara: 132 HP / 56 Atk / 112 Def / 208 Spd @ Adamant

These are the EVs I use, it keeps Dos Adamant, while it outspeeds base 120 speed pokemon after one DD. These EVs are interchangable though, if you want to outspeed Jolteon, etc, after a DD you could go Jolly. I like the attack power, however.

Special Gyara: I'd use Max Special attack, with 222 speed at minimum to outspeed Tyranitar. The rest could go into HP/Defenses/Attack.

Other Options: Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Rest/Sleeptalk can work well. HP: Rock can also be used to an extent. Flail can also work, although with all of the Tyranitars and Skarmorys running around, I wouldn't reccomend it.

Counters: Counters: Zapdos, Skarmory, Aerodactyl, Solrock, Lunatone, Donphan.

Opinon: One of the best Physical Sweepers out there, Gyarados paired with Magneton is a huge threat to any team. This thing has a bunch of resistances, and only 2 weaknesses, and an amazing Trait, which limits the effectiveness of one of its weaknesses- Rock. This pokemon usually has a spot on most of my teams.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:59 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Meh, after one DD, Solrock and Lunatone do take some hefty damage from HP Fly.

The Sp. Sweeper set works against as a suprise once. Then everyone will wall it with Regice(which is popular due to Metal Sound Zappy). I can see Fire Blast > Taunt on DDgyara to lol at Skarm/Weezing who will assume a Taunt is coming.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

- Rest
- Roar
- Thunder Wave

^Bluefox owns for these.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]