It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Special 95s vs. Special 120s 
it's like a baguette

I was just curious, what does everyone else prefer to use? I usually mix and match between the 95s (Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamthrower) and their 120 equivalents (Hydro Pump, Thunder, Blizzard, Fire Blast) based on the team and the specific Pokemon, only using Blizzard in very limited situations.

The only 120 I ever use more than its 95 counterpart is Fire Blast, with the 25 extra base damage more than making up for 15% lower accuracy.

Sun May 21, 2006 2:30 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I use things like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, etc. The accuracy of 120 attacks is too low for my liking. I'm forced to use Megahorn with my Heracross, though. MH misses too much, and I wish there was a 90 BP/100% accuracy bug attack that I could use instead. :/

Sun May 21, 2006 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Regice + Thunder = fun

Zapdos + Thunder = /sad

Mon May 22, 2006 8:23 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The only 120 I'd ever think to use is Fire Blast, but only because 85% accuracy isn't that bad. It's about the same as rolling a 1-3 on a 20 sided die. Well, maybe Thunder on Regice like Nuetral said.

Mon May 22, 2006 9:48 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It is the same as Toxic. And that's pretty accurate. But I find the 5PP on FireBlast a little low on the usage side, even with PPMax enabled. I prefer to go with the more accurate, yet less charged 95 base power for accuracy and more use.

Tue May 23, 2006 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm big on double battles so I use things because they strike two foes instead of one.

I.E. Blizzard over ice beam, heat wave over flamethrower, and surf over hydro pump. I also use thunder because who ever on my team knows thunder is usually paired up with a pokemon with rain dance.

Fri May 26, 2006 4:55 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Hmm, yeh. I think people should give Blizzard a go sometimes becuase the freeze hax is so much fun. Everyone loves hax, especially me!

Sun May 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I like Hydro Pump, though I don't use it in competitive battling because of it's bad accuracy and no added status afflicting affect, so I always use Surf.
Sometimes I use Fire Blast though, it's accuracy isn't as bad as Hydro Pump's, plus it can burn a foe. But I mostly use Flamethrower.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:13 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Speakin as a NB "vet" of over a year, i'd think its pretty right to say that the only time you should use the higher base attacks are if the move serves a purpose. For example, you would never use Thunder, Hydro Pump, and Blizzard on Starmie even if they can. You stick to the lower poer moves for the guarenteed hit. With the current metagame as is, you usually have at least a move of every common counter type. A counter type would be ice, grass, electric, etc because they counter a lot of common types and pokemon. The only time most people would use Fire Blast, for example, would be on a snorlax or salamence that has this to counter a Skarmory or maybe even forretress. Flamethrower wouldnt be strong enough to take them out in 2 hits, which is the obvious hits a DDancer or Curslax would get on a Skarm, the most common switch in. Dont forget Roar/Whirlwind always go last so you can get that hit in. The most common switch on SubPunch TTar, another prime example, is grass water or possible the skarm of someone not expecting this set. Focus Punch, Crunch, and Substitute are standard. The fourth slot is occupied by Fire Blast or Thunderbolt almsot invariably. Fire Blast handles grasses and has higher accuracy. Thunderbolt for waters not swampert and lower accuracy, but teams are more likely for waters than grasses. Both usually can handle Skarm in 2 turns with proper EV sets. Take your pick...

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i like too use strong high accuracy attacks like flamethower or ice beam that hit most of the time. i only use fire blast if my pokemon has an item to increase accuracy.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The only 120 move I would ever use is fire blast on a physical sweeper, or thunder with rain dance. Except in RBY, when Blizzard was messsed up (It had the equivalence of 90% accuracy.

Otherwise, I go for consistency - flamethrower/t-bolt/ice beam/surf on my special sweepers when possible.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]