It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Trivia of DNA I 
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Eh, why not.

This is something I've done on a few other sites besides this one, and after seeing how successful it is there, I figured, why not try it here? As the title implies, this is a rather simple trivia game - in which I supply a question and you supply an answer. Below are listed the rules of engagement.

DNA's Rules wrote:
1. Obviously, forum rules do apply. Obey them or else. If you violate them, I may remove you from the trivia and you'll most likely be warned by a staff member.
2. Questions are generally worth 3 points apiece. Questions may be divided into multiple parts, with certain amount of points for each part answered correctly. Most of the questions will be Pokemon-based, though I may throw in one or two oddballs every now and again.
3. There is no 3.
4. The aim of the game is to be the first to get 75 points, upon which the game will end. If there aren't a lot of people answering, I may reduce this number, possibly to 50. But since Psypoke is pretty big, this probably won't be likely. (For those doing the math, it's basically the first person to answer 25 questions correctly.)
5. The 3 points for the question will go to the first person to answer it correctly. If a person only got one part of the question right, later posters are free to fill in the rest, and they will be awarded points at my discretion. (If it turns out that there are more answers to a question than I had given, and you give me an answer that is also correct, you will be credited. Maybe.)
6. If no one has answered the question within a prolonged period of time, I will post a new question to hasten the pace. The old question will be annulled.
7. Looking at informational sites to find answers is strictly forbidden, unless I expressly say you can. But don't count on it. If I find out you are, you will be removed from the game and possibly future trivias as well. (If you think a question is too hard, do not worry. I will not give you any question that is impossible to solve without looking up. My questions can be difficult, but not impossible.)
8. If you guess a question once, you may not retry the same question, unless I specifically say you can.
9. Because of this, you are not allowed to edit your posts at all. If you do, you will suffer a point penalty, most likely -2 points. Repeated infractions will make you ineligible to play in this game. (And don't worry about grammar mistakes. I'll ask you if I really need you to clarify. Most of the time I'll be able to tell what you meant.)
10. The winner of this quiz may receive...I dunno, some Psybucks? a banner? I'll figure this out as I go along, but the winner won't go away empty-handed. Since there's a cash mod I'll probably use that.

11. If you want, you can submit a question yourself to be used in this trivia. To do so, PM me or find me on the chat and let me know the question in private (as well as the answer). I may accept your question. I usually like accepting more off-the-wall questions or ones that require a lot more thought. However, if you give me a question, and I use it, you may not answer for that particular question (because, well, you know the answer already). I will announce your name when I give the question if that is the case.
12. If you have any questions or concerns about these rules, please do not hesitate to tell me. I welcome feedback.

Everyone clear?

Cool. Here's your first question.

Out of all the Pokemon with a base Sp. Attack stat of 135, which one is the fastest?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

This does seem to be fun, but could you clarify as in when they have a Sp. Atk of 125?

Goodbye
"

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:12 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Seems like an interesting, well-construct game! So the 1st ques-
Rules wrote:
7. Looking at informational sites to find answers is strictly forbidden.

...No Bulbapedia for me today! As usual my brain refuses to work for me, and I'm not really sure who, beside serious competitive players who deal with exact numbers everyday, could pull the correct answer right out of the head...

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

True!
Well after thinking very hard, the only thing I can think of is {riolu}. Its a crackpot guess. But I tried.

Goodbye
"

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hm, this sounds fun. But no information sites? This will be even more fun

Anyway, I'm taking a wild guess at VOLCARONA. I really don't know if its the fastest, or it it even HAS 135 SpA :?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

@Samurott: Base stats don't ever change; they're based on the species itself. Riolu is incorrect; its base Sp. Attack is ironically only 35.

@ShinyLucario: ...Psypoke technically counts as an informational site as well. So for those of you who are wondering, yes: the Psydex is off-limits.

@Shuckle-rock$: Volcarona actually does have a base Sp. Attack of 135, but it is not the fastest out of the group. Unfortunately that is your guess for this question.

I won't often post intermittently in the middle of rounds like this, but since the game is just starting out I'll try and help you all along.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Do they have to all be from a specific region? Like, since Volcarona is Unovan, will the answer be out of 5th gen pokemon?

Goodbye
"

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:04 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Samurott wrote:
Do they have to all be from a specific region? Like, since Volcarona is Unovan, will the answer be out of 5th gen pokemon?

If I said that, I would have said so.

First you need to figure out all the Pokemon that have 135 base Special Attack. Then, from those, you have to find the one with the highest base Speed. I hope I made the question simple enough for that.

Fyi Samurott you do know you have no more guesses for this question, right...?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:34 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Mmm... I'm going to make a total guess of Gengar.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You tellin' me there are people who strut around with knowledge of these numbers backed up to their brains, free to pull out on demand? Why?

Unless the point is for this to be more like an... educated guess lottery.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My guess: Alakazam. Does anyone know this stuff off by heart?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think I'll place my bets on Deoxys Attack, since I think Deoxys Speed doesn't have 135 Sp. Atk...or does it?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Mm, I'm going to post the next question now. But before I do so, the scores, plus any relevant comments.

To DragoBoy: Yes, there are actually people out there that know this stuff by heart. Usually they are part of the competitive battling community.
As for your answer of Alakazam - while developing this question, I thought that was the answer; he's got the right Special Attack with a Speed stat of 120. However I double-checked it, and I found he is 5 points slower than the winner, namely Darkrai.

Since a few of you came close, I'll give out the following points. I give 2 to DragoBoy for being the closest, and 1 to Shuckle for actually giving a Pokemon with 135 base Special Attack. ShinyLucario, Deoxys-Attack actually has a whopping 180 base Special Attack (surpassed by NO ONE), so I can't give you points.

Scoreboard wrote:
DragoBoy - 2
Shuckle-rock$ - 1

A good warm-up question. Okay, now that I know that might not work all the time, I'll give you a lighter question this round.

As most of you are well aware, Pikachu learns the move Thunderbolt by level-up, and he does so in virtually all games. However, this trend started in Yellow version - in Red and Blue, he learns another move instead (but at the same level). What's the other move?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

You know what? I'm thinking that it might be Thunderpunch.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Man, I have no clue at this one. I'm guessing Thundershock

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Agility?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I'll guess Thunderwave.

needs more characters

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Aww man! I have Darkrai in Black! Anyways, I'm sure it is Thuder Wave.

Goodbye
"

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

No one's said the correct answer yet. I'll give a hint for the rest of you who've yet to guess; it's not an Electric-type move.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Could it be Body Slam? I'm not sure if it would be, but it's my best guess. (With my luck, Body Slam won't even be a Gen. I move!)

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:04 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I want to say that it's Tackle.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I think it's Double Team.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Unfortunately, none of those are the correct answer; those are moves that Pikachu learns normally anyway by level-up.
The exceptions were Thunderpunch and Body Slam, though. But since Mektar was on the right track, he gets a point.

The answer was Swift.

Scoreboard wrote:
DragoBoy - 2
Shuckle-rock$ - 1
Mektar - 1

Hmm, let's see.

~~~~~
For this next question, assume that no held items are in play and no abilities have been altered. Look at the following situations:

A Reuniclus dying to poison damage
A Mandibuzz that doesn't take damage from Sandstorm
A Delcatty using Thunder Wave on a Rhyperior successfully
An Electivire that doesn't get affected by Spore
An Aron using Endeavor and having its ability immediately changed to Mummy
A Spiritomb taking super-effective damage from a Reversal

Out of the above situations, exactly one of them cannot happen. Which one is it?

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Another tricky one...

I'm guessing an Electivire that doesn't get affected by Spore

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Spiritomb taking Super-Effective damage from Reversal.
Spiritomb is ghost type. Reversal is a fighting type move so it cant even hit spiritomb. Trust me. I've actually been stupid enough to attempt doing it.

Goodbye
"

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next