It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Thelegendary123's guide to Catching legendaries 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Today on the TL channel I'm gonna tell you how to catch all manner of legendaries, using my own experiences of capturing

TOP THREE TIPS
Tip No. 1: ALWAYS save before beginning the battle. If you epically fail, or just plainly fail, then you can restart the game and battle again. Imagine if you saved before the elite four and forget to save before Reshiram or Zekrom and Failed. Ouch
Tip No. 2: Have a lot of Ultra balls, Dusk balls, Quick balls and Timer balls to hand. See below to see the order.
Tip No. 3: Carry lots of Potions. The last thing you want is all your pokemon to tun out of HP

THE MEATY PART OF THE GUIDE
There are many ways to capture legendaries. the first is TL's tried and tested method, and is almost always certain to work. Start by using a Quick ball. If this fails then use Ultra balls on pokemon like Virizion if being caught in the day, and Dusk balls on pokemon like Cobalion. after 15-20 turns in battle if the Ultra balls fail, switch to Timer Balls and begin using them. keep persevering and you're sure to catch the legend.

Imagine the scenario. {raichu} Versus {mewtwo}. Try and get Raichu to use Thunder wave or something like that. inflict a problem and use a move like false swipe to lower Mewtwo's HP and then go in with Dusk Balls.

THIS IS THE PART WHERE THE COMMUNITY GET INVOLVED!
I want you all to contribute to this if you think I've missed something/Left something out of a part of the guide :D

THELEGENDARY123: Proud Founder and Owner of the TL channel: Commited to bringing you the BEST pokemon banter of All time. PM thelegendary123 for availible positions!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:20 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Uhm... Where does one start?

Well, firstly, you need to sort out your Grammar/Spelling. The aesthetics of a guide is pretty paramount when you're trying to stand out against all the other guides.
Also, there's a lot more information that you could talk about; you could go a lot more in-depth. For example, you talk about inflicting a status problem to help with catching the legendary. Whilst this is true, you don't go into a lot of detail as to why. Imagine I had just bought my first Pokemon game and looked to this guide for help on catching Zekrom: You tell me that inflicting a status is helpful, that's about it. The catch rate for any Pokemon is determined by an equation. You could stick that equation in there, and talk about all the factors that affect the overall catch rate (Max HP, Current HP, Strength of Ball, Status problems, etc). Did you know, for example, that freezing or putting a Pokemon to sleep is better for catching a Pokemon than paralyzing, burning or poisoning it is?

Basically, a little research into the mechanics of catching Pokemon (the actual numbers the game uses) would result in a much more thorough guide, and one that newbies can look at and say "Now I understand what I must do."

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

To the spelling thing, I spell things differently (if you're American) 'cause I'm British (E.G Color for Americans Colour for British)

THELEGENDARY123: Proud Founder and Owner of the TL channel: Commited to bringing you the BEST pokemon banter of All time. PM thelegendary123 for availible positions!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I am British.

But still; you have the basic bones of a guide here, it just needs a little flesh to become a full bodied thing.

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I disagree with ClawsonExperience on a few points:
First off, your spelling and grammar are NOT horrible. A few mistakes here and there, but trust me, it's more than readable. Also, I'm not sure if this guide was meant to be sweet and short, but you did accomplish that. Your "Top Three Tips" are definitely on the money by the way!

However, I did agree with him on a few points. For instance, had I done this guide, I would have:
-Started off with the basic capture formula and then explained each factor and how you could help maximize the chances of capture.
-Included more information helpful statuses (such as Paralysis, Sleep, Attraction, and Freeze) and not so helpful statuses (such as Poison, Burn, and Confusion).
-Had a small guide or a link to a guide (like sN0wBaLL's) about different Pokeballs and how they affect catch rate.
-Added information about False Swipe and the Pokemon that learn them (along with how it helps and where to find the TM).
-Put a link to the page where we can find the base Catch Rate of each Legendary Pokemon (*cough* Psydex *cough*).
-Given advice to have patience, but be quick. Many Legendary Pokemon have fainted from their use of Struggle at 1 HP while Paralyzed.

Also, one huge question I have is, "What about non-stationary ("roaming") Legendary Pokemon such as Entei, Latios, and Tornadus?" I think you should include a smaller, separate guide at the bottom for those specific Pokemon, along with tips on locating them and possible counters to their fleeing (such as Arena Trap, Mean Look, Block, Shadow Tag, etc.).

Anyways, overall, your guide is a nice overview for new players, although if you truly want to help the more experienced players, you should include more information! It's a good guide, don't get me wrong, but there's always room for improvement!
{thunflora}
~Pegir

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

The four types of Pokeballs mentioned above are the ones you should always use if you don't have a Master Ball. However, I can think of one exception. If you have SoulSilver, use Heavy Balls on Groudon. I cought him with the second one when I used them.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

If you're still looking to add to this then I suggest you should add a section on how to make the ultimate "catcher" Pokemon (Eg Gallade with Hypnosis/False Swipe/Mean Look/Substitute or Smeargle with Spore/False Swipe/Block/Substitute)

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:13 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

another thing you must add,how to catch traveling legendaries.
allthough my strategy sucks :/
mine is basically,use gengar to block,switch to pinsir and false swipe it to one hp,switch back to gengar and put it to sleep,lock it in sleep by chuking an ultra ball,then spam timer balls like theres no tomorow.this strategy takes to long and costs too much,the least amount of timer balls ive used for this is 74 on mesperit -_-

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]