It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 1449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 58  Next
 Creative Movesets *Announcement over DP: see first post* 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Oh goodness, at least some credit should go to Tiger10x. I'm just happy that now every one of the pokemon in my Midnight ID has a Creative Movesets Hall of Fame set, submitted by me or someone else.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Miltank just isn't really creative. It's not as common as an idea, but I've seen it a good few times.

Gardevoir doesn't really have a strategy to it. Using Mean Look would leave you open for an attack that could get you that turn, and if you're too slow anyway, you're gone after Endure. Focus Band would rarely help, too. I don't see any point to having a kamikaze Pokemon on a team if there's no insured way of it working. :roll:

Qwilfish was pretty borderline, but I couldn't find much to tweak around it. I'll probably do a little more testing with it soon.

Oh, and I gave myself some credit on the Steelix, as well. :P

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:33 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Well, that Miltank set is more common than I thought then. I haven't been doing any battling, competitive or casual, for some time already D=

And my apologies for not giving you any credit tiger10x; I have done so in the past though, so this is an exceptional case where I didn't =P

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:14 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Okay, I did some stuff for Qwilfish's stats and the Item that works better now, and I put it in the right format for the HoF for once, too. :P Oh, and I even added it for you, too. :P

{qwilfish} Qwilfish @ Shell Bell/Leftovers | Poison Point | Relaxed Nature
Revenge - Swords Dance - Shadow Ball - Sludge Bomb
EVs: 252 HP 252 Sp. Def 6 Def

Shell Bell works in there as well, because of the huge amount of damage you can get done.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:59 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Lol, the privilege of being a mod of the Game Guides section. Alright, thanks for that; I won't be checking out the HoF then.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:29 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not sure if this has already been submitted, but it looked worth a try to me.

Kingdra @ Lum/PeteyaBerry
Adament/Jolly, SwiftSwim
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Hp
Endure
Flail
DragonDance
Surf/Return

I put Surf in there just to counter pokemon who would be immune/resistant to Flail. Or, it could be changed for HP. I would think Ghost or Fighting, leaning towards Ghost. The object is to use DD to insanely boost your stats, then Endure when you're just about to die, then Flail to your heart's content. The last move is open for improvements.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:40 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Kingdra should be worth a shot. I think I might have seen something similar, but just once. Jolly, Lum, and HP Ghost would work. I'll test soon.

And I finally got around to posting the old results. :roll: I did this about three days ago but just forgot for some reason. These were my Vileplume from a while back and my Togetic from even more back.

Togetic (Choice Band + Hustle Phys. Sweeper): Did much better than I expected. The low Speed was a burden, but it could still do more damage as the CB Dugtrio I had on my team in most cases. I can easily say that it surprised a It's good enough to add to the HoF. <s>I'll probably get around to doing that soon.</s> Edit: Added. Let's just say that Return + STAB + Hustle + CB is pretty powerful, even with a 179 Attack stat. :P

Vileplume (Sleep Powder and Swords Dance): This had some problems with Speed as well, and this depended on raising stats while the opponent did nothing. Togetic would just come in, attack, and get out, but this had to come in, force sleep, power up, attack, and hope your Speed is good enough to get through if a new opponent comes in. And when you switch out, you lose your Attack. It would probably work great with a Ninjask-Pass, but it just doesn't cut it.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:07 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

First, my suggestion
{snorlax}@Leftovers
Ability:Thick Fat
Nature: Bold (+def -att)/Calm (+sp. def. -att)/ Careful (+sp. def. -sp. att.)/ Impish (+def -sp. att.)/ Relaxed (+def -spd)/ Sassy (+sp. def -spd)
EVs: 252 hp, 128 def, 128 sp. def, 2 spd

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:02 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The Snorlax should be worth a test, too. I'll use Bold instead of testing out each of the other four, and I'd think Bold would work best for it. The extra 2 Speed EVs has no effect, as you round down to a number divisible by four. This rounds down to zero and therefore does not boost the stat.

On the Houndoom, I could change it, but do remember that those old ones didn't exactly have the same standards of getting in, so there may be some problems with that and the current metagame and whatever now.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

{magmar} @ Lefties | Flame Body | Adamant Nature
Substitute - Focus Punch - Screech- HP Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP

Not sure if physical sweeping for Magmar classifies as creative, but most sets for Magmar are either pure Special Sweeping or Mixed Sweeping. Anyway, the purpose of Screech is to make the foe switch, and when that happens, FPunch them. If they stay, all the better; lowered Defense makes it easier to KO the foe.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Snowball reminded me of a question I had. If you are using the SubPunch strategy, shouldn't you try to have less speed? Because if you go second, your substitute will be on the field the next turn. But if you go first, they may break your sub.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:07 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, that's pretty ideal for a SubPuncher, and some now usually have the Brave Nature and no Speed DVs for that cause. It's not one of the strategies I'd prefer because some of the time, you just Sub after you've been hit hard and can only use it once or there isn't enough HP to use it. And when you're too fast, you'll just lose HP and the Sub.

Anyway, about the Magmar, I'd think that you'd lose your Sub when you use Screech. That'd be more than enough to take you down the next turn though (if you're slower, or else you use HP Ghost). If you do it without the Sub and they get a fair amount of your HP in one hit, the problem is that you'd be left with HP Ghost. Just like the Kingdra, you'll be stuck with only HP Ghost and not much power behind it. (Speaking of Kingdra, test results are lower) I could do some testing for it, but I doubt that I'll do much if it doesn't get off to a reasonable start.

And the results:

Kingdra: Like I mentioned above, you'll get stuck with HP Ghost without much power behind it if you can't get powered up. It's very hard to get going, but it works pretty well if you get a few Dragon Dances and then Endure. It's just highly unlikely that you'll survive to get those few Dragon Dances up. And if you don't get any up at all, then you won't get a Speed boost for using Flail after Endure. Just not good enough.

Snorlax: I expected that you wouldn't be able to do anything when everything is done, and I was right. On the few occasions that I could Block in, Sandstorm, and Toxic an opponent, I just had to wait. I basically wasted PP in the attacks and used Rest when necessary. It worked when that happened, but that was only twice. On the other times, you'd just Block in something like a Breloom that switches in. It didn't make it either.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:35 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Congrats tiger10x for making the 1111st post here. Gosh, I didn't know so many people wrote creative movesets!

Here's mine for now:
{sneasel} @ Lefties / Quick Claw
Adamant | Inner Focus
Quick Attack / AA
Swords Dance
Substitute
Double Team

Sub then up stats then attack away =P

DeviantART | Webcomic | Photobucket

Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

The moveset for Sneasel in the Competitive Movesets Guide makes use of Swords Dance and physical moves for Physical Sweeping, but Substitute and Double Team are not part of the moveset, so my opinion on your set is a little divided. As usual, I'll wait for a second opinion on this :wink:

Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:27 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Heh, I didn't notice the 1111th post. :P I don't usually pay much attention to stuff like that in a topic.

Anyway, I'd have to say that Sneasel just isn't creative. That and regular Physical Sweeping with it is really common. Double Team doesn't make much of a difference. Sorry.

I'll probably edit this for Magmar later. Edit: Umm... maybe later-er.

Edit 2:

Nope, it just didn't work out well.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:01 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sup guys, you know I visit every once in a while to drop some sets here;

{tentacruel} (M) @ Leftovers ** Croydon
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 236 HP / 64 Spd / 112 SAtk / 96 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Barrier
- Hydro Pump
- Mirror Coat
- Protect

Surprisingly, this works very well in OU. I'm currently playing in a ''Random'' tourney where you get 6 drafted pokemon and you need to build a team with them. I got to see my opponent's pokemon and the regular SD/Sludge Bomb Tentacruel just won't work against his team. So basically the main strategy is to lure in physical attackers by using Barrier on the switch. Eventually barrier again and then start using Protect and Hydro Pump. Seriously, it works better than I expected. This thing beats Zapdos, Swampert, Exeggutor, Quagsire, Alakazam and other friends who like to switch in. You could use Giga Drain over Hydro Pump but I like it to be able to hit more.

{flygon} (M) @ Leftovers ** Tigris
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Screech
- Substitute

There's no need to test this. This thing is even better than the standard CB Version. I am not going to explain how this thing works. It puts a decent dent in Salamence, even with the cut attack. I love it how Blissey can't do **** while you Sub and Screech the incoming *whatever*. Skarmory can't keep taking hits from this and eventually needs to rest, which will mean it dies 90% of the time.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:36 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

The Tentacruel looks promising. By using Hydro Pump, you might lose all your PP very quickly, leaving you with only Mirror Coat to do damage, which, despite the opponent being very likely to use special attacks due to Barrier, might work against you. Surf would be a good alternative should Hydro Pump fail to work due to the above reason.

Flygon is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's such a new idea. It's probably good enough for testing, but I'll wait for a second opinion on both sets =)

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:15 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The extra power for Hydro Pump is really needed. Do not expect this Tentacruel to KO 3-4 pokemon. With surf, this is still Metagross bait and Swampert will most likely beat it, too. Hydro Pump ran out of pp just once for me, due to missing several times, what can be annoying.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:39 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The Flygon isn't creative, it's just Physical Sweeping with a Sub and Screech added. I can see why it would work better than other Phys. Sweepers though.

Tentacruel isn't either. I know it's not exactly like the standard, although I also know that that strategy is still used quite often for Tentacruel.

I just don't really think either cuts it as creative. :?

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:31 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ok man, I don't bother submitting any sets anymore. The sets that you label as ''creative'' are either your own sets, or complete garbage that 99% of the time doesnt even work. OF COURSE FLYGON IS PHYSICAL DID YOU EXPECT A SPECIAL SWEEPING SET?

God, you could at least give a comment or something instead of saying ''not creative'' when I am definitely online on NB more often than you and seriously there's no one using a Tentacruel set like that. The barrier/mirror coat combo is maybe used more often but still.

I mean, come on guys, there's even a BD Reversal HARIYAMA in the hall of fame.

Also snowball I thought about your Surf suggestion, and yeah it could work in a handful of circumstances. It's really up to the user whether to use Surf or Hydro Pump. Tiger, you DO know the standard set is Surf/Sub/Sludge Bomb/Swords Dance @Salac, right? It seems that you don't even know what you're talking about.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:52 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

You are right about you being on NetBattle more than I have. That doesn't mean that we have seen the same Pokemon all the way through. I know that I have seen a few Barrier-Mirror Coat Tentacruels before.

Regarding the Hariyama, I had no control over that as it was added in about May or June. I became a tester here in about September and basically had to learn how to do it on my own, although I did have a little help from sN0wBaLL.

HoF, second post wrote:
*Note: Most of the older HoF entries were created with different standards than they are now. Therefore, they may no longer be considered creative, or work as well in today's metagame. There is no need for correcting every miniscule detail about them, but if you find something totally wrong with one, feel free to post.

I was also going to add something about not taking HoF sets out of the HoF, but I didn't when I added that.

And when I say "Standard", I mean the one in the "Standard Set Guide", not the "Competitive Movesets Guide". The two Standards are: (The second is the one I'm refering to mostly)

Standard Set Guide wrote:
Tentacruel @ Lefties
Calm | Clear Body
252 HP, 129 Def, 129 SD
~Barrier
~Attract
~Confuse Ray
~Surf

Tentacruel @ Lefties
Modest | Clear Body
252 SA, 252 Spd, 6 HP/Defense
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Mirror Coat
~Barrier

I wouldn't count EV changes, a possible Hydro Pump for Surf, and Protect for Ice Beam very "creative". So I guess I know what I'm talking about.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:38 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I would appreciate it if opinions are made a little more tactfully.

Anyway, testing and rating of creative movesets are based on ever-changing standards and strategies used in the metagame. As such, some of the Hall of Fame sets are in fact rather outdated and unsuitable for use. This is especially so for the first few Pokemon in the Hall of Fame, which were thought of back when Ruby and Sapphire were initially released (where Psypoke was still at its old http://www.psypoke.net url!). As such, you don't have to feel short-changed if a set in the Hall of Fame is similar to yours, and yet your set doesn't make it into the Hall of Fame.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:44 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The Standard Set Guide isn't updated for ages I think because seriously when you use an Attract Tentacruel people will just laugh at you. Believe me when I say that the standard set is the Swords Dancing one. Always been, and that will never change.

And I'm not submitting sets to get into the HoF I'm just making these sets for you people to use in battles. I just don't get your comments tigerx10, they totally fall off the boat and they nearly make no sense at all.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:31 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

In no way did tiger10x suggest that your movesets were not good enough for use. All he implied was that your sets were not suitable for the Hall of Fame, with which I see nothing wrong. I appreciate the fact that you want to contribute movesets for people's use instead of just merely getting into the HoF. I might update the standard movesets guide with your suggested movesets.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:17 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hey Cless, please do not flame our admins and mods. Especially ones like tiger and snowball who take time out of their lives to test movesets for us and tell us if they work or not so we don't have to lose a bunch of games to find out for ourselves.

As for your statement that a lot of the movesets are from tiger, he tests outside-the-box movesets constantly. So of course he'll be able to see imaginative and effective movesets more than anyone else. That is one of the reasons that he is the guy who rates these. The Admins don't just throw names into a hat to make their choice, they figure out who is best for the job based on certain criteria.

Another thing you should remember is that there is more than one rater. Snowball rates tiger's so the rating is done without bias. Tiger has no direct control over his movesets getting into the HoF.

I'm not against you questioning the HoF or any admin/mod, just do it without flaming them, please.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 58  Next