It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Arbitrary TCG Stats Thread 
THE POWER IS ON!

I get bored and fiddle with Excel a lot. Here's a chart chronicling my latest string of boredom. Perhaps I'll post some more if I get bored again.

Preface: Raichu and Gengar are the only Pokemon to be featured as Pokemon ex, LV. X AND Prime. Lucario is the only Sinnoh era Pokemon who was featured as a Pokemon ex. Pikachu is the only Pokemon featured as any of these three types of cards that has never been a final evolution. There's also LEGEND cards but only five Pokemon have been featured on those so far (Lugia, Ho-oh, Raikou, Entei and Suicune, plus Darkrai and Cresselia in Japan only so far) so I didn't bother making a column for it.

If the Pokemon had more than one type of card, the exact number is noted. (R) means the card was a "Rocket's (Pokemon) ex" card. (G) means it was a Team Galactic Pokemon; (FB) means it was a Sinnoh Frontier Brain's Pokemon, (GL) means it was a Sinnoh Gym Leader's Pokemon, (C) means it was a Champion's Pokemon (i.e. Cynthia's), and (4) means it was a Sinnoh Elite Four member's Pokemon.

At any rate, it's interesting to see the list because it does show the popularity of the Pokemon chosen to be featured.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

For TCG Islands' 1000th post, I tally up the number of cards for each Pokemon:

~ KANTO ~
-Most featured Pokemon: Pikachu (66), Raichu (34), Magnemite (25), Magneton and Mewtwo (24)
-Least featured Pokemon: Krabby (6), Caterpie, Metapod, Kadabra, Victreebel, Tentacruel, Shellder and Kingler (all 7)
-Median: 13 cards per Kanto Pokemon (Beedrill, Fearow, Gloom, Vileplume, Dugtrio, Mankey, Poliwrath, Machoke, Exeggutor, Tangela, Seadra, Aerodactyl)

~ JOHTO ~
-Most featured individual Pokemon*: Pichu (23), Houndoom (20), Houndour and Tyranitar (19), Larvitar and Celebi (18)
-Least featured Pokemon*: Cleffa, Skiploom, Sunflora, Snubbull, Granbull, Qwilfish, Porygon2, Tyrogue and Elekid (6)
-Median (all Unown counted individually): 9 cards per Johto Pokemon (Bayleef, Ledyba, Ariados, Bellossom, Azumarill, Hoppip, Yanma, Girafarig, Pineco, Ursaring, Piloswine, Remoraid)
-Median (all Unown counted as one Pokemon): 12 cards per Johto Pokemon (Meganium, Xatu, Misdreavus, Magcargo, Phanpy, Donphan)

* - Unown is a special case, as it has 87 cards collectively but the vast majority of the individual forms have only three cards each. Unown A, M and T have four; Unown ? and ! have two. There are also three generic "Unown" cards that do not feature specific letters. These would all be the "least featured" Pokemon of Johto if counted individually.

~ HOENN ~
-Most featured individual Pokemon*: Deoxys (23 between four forms), Rayquaza (20), Treecko, Torchic, Electrike and Latios (17 each)
-Least featured Pokemon*: Azurill, Rain Castform, Sun Castform, Hail Castform, Clamperl and Huntail (3 each)
-Median (all Deoxys and Castform cards counted together): 9 cards per Hoenn Pokemon (Swampert, Seedot, Shiftry, Swellow, Gardevoir, Whismur, Makuhita, Skitty, Sableye, Carvanha, Torkoal, Cacnea, Swablu, Zangoose, Dusclops)
-Median (all Deoxys and Castforms forms counted separately): 8 cards per Hoenn Pokemon (Lotad, Pelipper, Hariyama, Delcatty, Aggron, Meditite, Medicham, Sharpedo, Seviper, Crawdaunt, Milotic, Shuppet, Tropius, Normal Deoxys)

* - Castform and Deoxys' different forms have been counted together in these calculations, unlike Unown, which has a much higher card total than any other Johto Pokemon. Castform has 13 cards between its four forms.

~ SINNOH ~
-Most featured individual Pokemon*: Lucario (23), Arceus (19 - Arceus has no alternate forms in the TCG), Dialga (15), Manaphy (13) and Palkia (12)
-Least featured Pokemon*: The Appliance Rotoms (1 each), Kricketune, Budew, Finneon, Lumineon, Snover, Abomasnow and Phione (2 each)
-Median (all alternate forms counted together): 6 cards per Sinnoh Pokemon (Staravia, Luxray, Combee, Floatzel, Cherubi, Magmortar, Gliscor, Dusknoir, Origin Giratina, Cresselia,
-Median (all alternate forms counted separately): 5 cards per Hoenn Pokemon (Grotle, Starly, Staraptor, Bidoof, Bastiodon, Lopunny, Honchkrow, Skuntank, Bronzor, Hippowdon, Drapion, Toxicroak, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Electivire, Leafeon, Porygon-Z, Probopass, Altered Giratina, Sky Shaymin)

* - The alternate forms of Shellos, Gastrodon, Burmy, Wormadam, Rotom, Giratina and Shaymin do not affect these numbers, except for the Appliance Rotoms having the lowest number of cards with one each. A few of the other alternate forms have only two cards each as shown below. Arceus' nine types are not classified separately in the TCG, nor is Cherrim's Overcast form, which has been featured in ONE of Cherrim's seven cards.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:49 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Nice stats Frost, thanks for tallying all that stuff up. :)

It's kinda sad that so many Pokemon got the shaft when it comes to the trading card game. There's a lot of "lesser known" Pokemon like Qwilfish, Stantler, Swalot, Chimecho, etc. that have a ridiculously low amount of cards...if they don't stand out in the games OR the trading card game, why do they even exist? :(

Another thing that bugs me is Heracross only has 10 cards. He was one of the first Johto Pokemon I was introduced to (I used to have a shampoo bottle that I played with in the bathtub that had squeezable buttons that propelled rings that you could try to line up, it had Heracross/Meganium/Typhlosion/Feraligatr on it >.>) and I really thought he stood out in the series. He even had his own SSBM trophy. Why didn't he get more cards? Also, Porygon2 only had 6!?!?1 Come on...;(

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Only one Pokemon has an explanation for its low card total: Kadabra, who hasn't had a card in about seven years due to Uri Gellar being crazy. I guess the people in charge of the TCG don't want him trying to sue everytime they put out a card with Kadabra on it, so they just don't bother anymore. Other "controversial" Pokemon like Jynx and Porygon haven't been punished in the TCG because they have a normal amount of cards, although currently no Porygon cards are tournament legal because the TCG just did a rotation and the last Porygon and Porygon2 cards were made in a DP-era set that got phased out.

In general the Johto Pokemon seem to be the rejects of the TCG because Neo only lasted for four sets and then there were three e-card sets during Generation II that merely brought all of the existing Pokemon to the e-card format. And with more Kanto Pokemon than Johto Pokemon, the Generation I group got more cards than their counterparts. In comparison, Generation III had sixteen sets and Generation IV had eleven sets (before TCG promotion for HGSS started, and even then the second JP HGSS set put in random Sinnoh Pokemon over Johto Pokemon that hadn't been featured in an HS set like Porygon2 and Swinub).

Mantyke and Bonsly are currently the only Pokemon who have a single English card. They have three cards altogether, but two of the three are Japanese-exclusive movie promos. Like Porygon, they last appeared in a DP-era set that was just phased out of the rotation, so they too are not legal in tournaments.

As for human, all of the Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh Gym Leaders, except for Blue, have been used as Trainer cards or owners of Pokemon cards, while the Hoenn roster has been ignored. Conversely, the Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh Elite Four members have all appeared, while the Kanto-exclusive Elites, Lorelei and Agatha, have not. Also, all of the regional Professors (Oak, Birch, Elm and Rowan), all of the Team leaders (Giovanni, the Johto TR executives, Archie, Maxie and Cyrus) and most of the regional Champions (Lance, Steven, Cynthia) have appeared in the TCG. Additionally, Ash, Misty, Brock, May, Dawn, Jessie and James have received promotional cards that feature either them or their Pokemon.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Appearances of the Kanto Pokemon in the Generation I TCG era:

welp,

Butterfree and Kabutops sure feel the love, huh?

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Why is #30 Golduck in orange? Is that just Excel's cursor?

Quote:
although currently no Porygon cards are tournament legal because the TCG just did a rotation and the last Porygon and Porygon2 cards were made in a DP-era set that got phased out.

That actually isn't true, the whole line was featured in the HS: Triumphant set, and I know that Porygon and Porygon2 both have HGSS promos as well. (Not sure about Porygon-Z. *checks* Nope, his promo was in DP days.)

As for the Gym Leaders and elites getting their own cards...most of those did not come over here, such as the Pokemon M subset, that old e-series Kanto/Johto subset that I forgot the name of, and a few other small things. We did get the Hoenn Elite Four, though, so at least that's something. Plus, I've always found their personalities more 3D than those of the gym leaders; Juan was the only gym leader I actually liked. (Yes, I know he's flat, but he's a Spanish heartthrob. In my book, that's bonus points.)

In the end, it's both fun and tragic to see which Pokemon get shafted. At least my top 3 favorites (Claydol, Deoxys, and Regigigas) are well off; all of them have an -ex form. (Regigigas' is more recent, but still...)

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:37 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Well, DNA, that post was made in mid-2010, after DP-GE had been rotated but before Triumphant and its Porygon promos had come out. At the time, the Porygon family WASN'T part of the MD-Unleashed rotation. I believe the original post counts everything up until Undaunted as well, so Triumphant, Call of Legends and Next Destinies were not counted for the older Pokemon.

And, yes, Golduck's box is orange because I probably had the row selected for no special reason when I made the screenshot. This also reminds me that I need to work on the spreadsheets for Generations II-V, coming vaguely sometime in the future.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:45 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
Well, DNA, that post was made in mid-2010, after DP-GE had been rotated but before Triumphant and its Porygon promos had come out.

*looks*

Oh, whoops. Disregard what I said then. (I've got a bad habit of not noticing post dates...)

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]