Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Is Shedinja a joke? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Who would use a Pokemon with 1 HP?

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, Shedinja isn't meant to be a joke, but it is fairly gimmicky. The lack of bulk is meant to balance its ability, Wonder Guard, and speaks to its origins. It is meant to be a shed exoskeleton, after all, which in reality are very thin and fragile.

I do know that GofD, here in the forums, apparently built a successful team around one in Ubers, and there are a few methods that I've seen that allow it to achieve a level of invulnerability to the point that only recoil damage and opponents with Mold Breaker can take it out if it's allowed to set up. It's not horrible, and it's not terribly great either, but it can be fun to use if it's used correctly.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Kiga wrote:
Well, Shedinja isn't meant to be a joke, but it is fairly gimmicky. The lack of bulk is meant to balance its ability, Wonder Guard, and speaks to its origins. It is meant to be a shed exoskeleton, after all, which in reality are very thin and fragile.

I do know that GofD, here in the forums, apparently built a successful team around one in Ubers, and there are a few methods that I've seen that allow it to achieve a level of invulnerability to the point that only recoil damage and opponents with Mold Breaker can take it out if it's allowed to set up. It's not horrible, and it's not terribly great either, but it can be fun to use if it's used correctly.

Shedinja is a very gimmicky Pokemon that requires a lot of support. When given the right support, and if you make your moves right, Shedinja can and will SWEEP EVERYTHING. I did find a lot of people I went up against with my shedinja team, had no sweet clue as to what was happening.

Shedinja is only a Joke, until you realize what it is capable of.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:01 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

There's also an elaborate combo you can pull off in Triples where you can get a mostly invincible one that only dies to Leech Seed or being phased out. It involves giving it Sturdy and paralyzing it while it holds a Safety Goggles.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Mektar wrote:
There's also an elaborate combo you can pull off in Triples where you can get a mostly invincible one that only dies to Leech Seed or being phased out. It involves giving it Sturdy and paralyzing it while it holds a Safety Goggles.

I looked for reference video to give as an example. The first one I found set the Shedinja up properly, but then it died after making its first attack because of a Rocky Helmet. It was quite sad...

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:15 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Commonly Doubles strategies revolving around Shedinja involve giving it Sturdy in some way, via a combination of Skill Swap and Entrainment. Gen 6 made it easier, removing 1 step, so Carbink can Skill Swap Sturdy onto something with Entrainment directly. This makes Shedinja unkillable via direct damage. However, more often than not, Shedinja can be killed with indirect damage. Other variant strategies involve a Ditto or Smeargle Transforming into Shedinja, that require a bit less setup. While they don't do as well as the other strategy, these do NOT die to indirect damage. (So really it's pick-your-poison.)

Is it a gimmick strategy? Yes. Are its counters not that hard to get? Yes.
Does it totally crap on any team unprepared for it? Yes.

In fact, the very first rule of Double Battles is "Make sure you can stop Shedinja. If you can't, you lose."

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:32 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've also seen giving Shedinja Entrainment through mimic, than passing wonder guard to an electric Pokemon with an air balloon. then Sub and Toxic everything.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

...that reminded me that Wonder Guard auto-loses to Mold Breaker. I totally forgot about that.
...but it's still rare enough that it doesn't always come up.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Could always give it to an Elektross with gastro acid?

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:36 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

MasonTheChef wrote:
Could always give it to an Elektross with gastro acid?

Here. I just made this for fun this morning.

It's not perfect, and it would have been stalled out if my opponent hadn't quit; I'm not really a triples battler in the first place. Coil-Crunch probably isn't the best way to go, anyway. Infiltrator toxic or burn will be dangerous to this set as well.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lmao, that was fun to watch. With hope Gastro acid can be used to remove infiltrator/Mold breaker

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wow, duh! How could I forget about that? Yeah, that would work if it got there first, although it is a bit slow...

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:30 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think that Shedinja, in competitive, is a really ****...

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:06 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Shedinja is great because he ability

Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Shedninja is an annoying pokemon to get but fun to use. What is the best nature for a shedninja? I have an adamant nature shedninja and don’t know how to use it like my O.P. Garchomp or Charizard? please help me in anyway possible. Thanks.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]