It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 [Old RS] Cruel Irony and Fate 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'm going to write a lot of stuff, so just see if you can follow along.

About 4 years ago, the concept of verification of PKM files came into being. These algorithms did not check for the obvious, but focused on a newly discovered aspect of the pokemon code.
That code was the PID - in generations III and IV, this PID dictated the legal combination of Nature, Gender, Ability, and IVs. So, even though theoretically you have 32 different values for each of the 6 stats, giving a total of 1073741824 values, this was not the whole story. Some combinations were completely illegal, while others were set by nature, or restricted abilities.

The revelation led to a lot of RNG abuse - people were able to get their games down the second, or frame, so they could get ID numbers that matched something special. Or, for a perfect shiny. Or for just a perfect starter. All of it required what was known as a seed - a number that the RNG would base future turn-ups on. And it was pretty easy to test your seed.

Mirage Island uses one such calculation, and is described in one such thread here, identifying certain information that we already knew (based on gender value) and making clear something that we did not know.

If the internal battery is dead on RuSa, the gender hex-number it starts with for Mirage Island, and thus sticks with until a reset, is 00 00. In Binary, this is simply a string of 0s.

We have, not in such great detail, the listings of the gender values here
In addition to those values, I'm going to introduce three more.
If the pokemon is genderless, the value is 255 (a string of 1s)
If the pokemon is always female, the value is 254 (a string of seven 1s, followed by a 0)
If the pokemon is always MALE, the value is simply 00 in hex, which is just 0s.

This means a few things, if I am correct:
1.) If the game is restarted, and the battery is dead from Day 1, walking to Mirage Island with a Volbeat is a guaranteed win. The cruel irony being, if this is your only game, the berries will not be able to grow.
2.) If the seed just starts at 0, even if the battery is working, it means that as long as you can get to Pacifidlog before 24 hours are up, Mirage Island will always show on that first day.

I could be completely wrong about this, but if I am correct, people who have a dead Ruby or Sapphire cartridge, plus a working cartridge that grows berries, will be able to get Liechi berries. A LOT OF them.
(and of course, I just reset my Sapphire, and am crazy busy with school work, so I will not be able to test it).

For anyone who is familiar with the concept of RNG hacking, or PID stuff, can you please tell me if I'm on the right track?

Edit: I could have it messed up slightly, in which case, it would actually need to be genderless or female-only pokemon that would be guaranteed the 00. Or, I could have messed this up entirely, in which case the only option would be a male-only or female-only pokemon, but say 1 in 100 of those.

Edit 2: I could have completely misunderstood everything, in which case, you'd have the best chance of submitting a female from the "87.5% male, 12.5% female" group, because their PID that would push a female would be more closely associated with that 00 00 as opposed to FF FF.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]