Okay 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It SSSUUUCCCKKKEDDD 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Short story by Romana Joy of Pokefarm 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Lying cold on the ground, my body racking with shivers. I knew I was going to die soon of starvation. My mother

Last edited by Edoc'sil on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think it's quite good. I just have one question: Which pokemon is the protagonist? I don't feel like reading the other post.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:06 am
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Writing wasn't that bad. The flashback storytelling style is somewhat effective. It could do with an editor though (to fix things like switching to 3rd person for a few sentences at the end and inciting general confusion).

The plot conflict, however, is stupid, imho. It' seems to be a rather weak adaptation of a Disney love-at-first-sight story.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Now that I look at it again, I see what you're saying. It won a short story contest on pokefarm, though.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:25 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

The technical writing itself isn't much of an issue.

I'd say it would have potential if the conflict was given more of a backstory. The chopped up, episodic storytelling technique in the exposition, while serving its purpose, leaves much to be filled in. The end leaves the plot to revolve around a character who, judging from what we've been given, has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It's the product of the main character's (seemingly creepy) whim, and as such gives less of a semblance of structure than what I would hope for.

If subsequent chapters gradually reveal a more thorough timeline of the past, and more relevance is shown, it may mend that a bit. But in that case, the overall story would seem less pointless to me if we were initially led to believe the conflict wasn't something so seemingly trivial (or not even introduce the main conflict yet, as it IS a basic exposition).

tbh I suck at writing though, so don't take my ramblings seriously.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh, I think I should mention something: Wolfin and Kolink are the two main mods on pokefarm. Kolink is a shinx and Wolfin is an Ice houndour.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]